Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The Chants of the Muldaya deck inspired me to make a mono green eldrazi EDH deck. DotP is a nice decently priced alternative when you simply cannot get someone to play against with real cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Going to my first as well, friends told me to bring water and dress like it is going to be 90 degrees in there.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I'll be picking up a fat pack tonight, can't say no at least one of them per release.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Sleep of Bronze posted:

(Willian Murai, Divination, BNG)

Cymede casts Divination in the Temple of Keranos she spent so much unnecessary effort and showing-off to get to. She looks like she does in the art, the temple looks like it does in the art. Look at the art. Keranos cheats the Silence by sending her a vision. Hundreds of minotaurs, emerging from a room of burning light, which becomes a howling mouth, which becomes a satyr's face. *dramatic chord*

Is that really supposed to be Keranos? Looks more like Mogis from the horns and such.

EDIT: Oh, the image wasn't from the novel. Woops.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 16, 2014

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Played modern tonight for the first time, did surprisingly well with a red burn deck. Took third overall and won my first couple packs since I've started attending. Managed to open up a thoughtseize, overall a very nice night! Now to take that and turn it into some goblin guides or blood moons.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Would expecting the movie to take place in the Brothers War era be too much of a stretch? Its more likely that they would focus on the current set of planeswalkers and planes.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Ramos posted:

Yeah, Eidolon of the Great Revel is pretty awesome. If removed, it still guarantees that the other person is dealt some damage. If not, it's just going to rack up more damage while still being a beat stick.

And then if you get multiple out...

It's a risky card to an extent, but most opponents run 1-3 mana cost cards. And in burn, you don't care about yourself, you want the other person dead faster, which means do more damage at any cost. It won't say it's a difficult card to use, but you need to keep the pressure on while pushing with him.

I also agree with this. I am thinking I will actually run two of them in my modern mono red burn deck next FNM. It may prove excellent in a format which is comprised so heavily of 3cmc or less cards.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

BXCX posted:

Let's find out, here's the new Commander Thread! Please redirect all qualms and praise for the beloved format there.

I think you missed a critical time to use 'strictly better', but regardless thanks for the new thread!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I'm falling in love with this Eldrazi deck, I know what I want to play if I ever decide to enter legacy.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It's a pipe dream more than anything else, I don't really have any ambition to enter legacy after just starting up modern. Listening to the commentators discuss the various ways Rudolph could vomit out mana was awesome.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

KidDynamite posted:

Man that cloudpost vs BUG game 3 was awesome.

The dream is over, but drat it was fun to watch happen. I was on edge seeing if he could top deck Emrakul for the match.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

There was a guy who tried cheating in a tournament by shuffling his deck for no apparent reason, presenting it for his opponent to cut, and then call a judge on his opponent illegally cutting his deck.

It didn't work.

At what point is a cut ever illegal? Did they simply decide to randomly shuffle mid game? If that was so wouldn't the shuffle be considered the first illegal act and be dealt with or is that not how things are normally handled?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Do you have an active magic group that plays near you? I've seen players trading with other players as the best way when dealing with cards. Stores tend to ask for significant discounts if you want to simply sell it, and online card sales seem scary from the sellers perspective.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It's a cool deck, and this current standard block has some fun things to try working with such as eidelon of the great revel vs the phoenixes vs young pyomancer. I hope burn will keep going once RTR cycles out, lots of good stuff getting lost this time around.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Just one time this summer I want to cast dictate of the twin gods at an opponents end step, play a spark trooper, and finally boros charm it for double strike. I want to live the 24 damage trample haste lifelink dream.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Some people simply don't know the price of cardboard. It's why I was handed a foil misdirect, the dude simply didnt know and didn't care afterwords.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Perhaps they think its too easy of a mana base? More likely they got slammed hard by a mono dominant commander and saying no Mono commanders is an easy dodge.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It has a Hedron in the art, it deserves some brownie points at least :colbert:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Ramos posted:

Man, one mana and zero activation cost to double what all of your planeswalkers can do is what we call absurdly good. Having that cost would just be endlessly terrible for everyone involved.

Or perhaps triple it with the fancy new legendary red creature.

EDIT: Actually that brings up a question, the red legendary mentions a 'mana ability'. Is that an ability which generates mana? Or an ability that costs mana to use?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
You best be careful about naming things though, god forbid you just say shackles or some junk.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

mcmagic posted:

So what color is everyone getting at the prerelease? I'm thinking either red (I want to cast a generator servant) or black (the best promo).

I made the mistake of trying to go with what was considered the best seeded deck color for Nyx, so this time im going with what I am most comfortable piloting. Get over here, Siege Dragon :getin:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
While forge ai seem to have problems controlling themselves against things like mana barbs and eidolon of the great revel, I'm happy that they seem to be able to pilot decks fairly well. One of the painters servant/grindstone decks did some absurd things. It's a cool program for messing around in limited formats or constructed decks that are difficult to use elsewhere.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Went red pack, opened a chandra and decided mono red was the only way to go. Having a generators servant lead to the dragon was a great win condition and won me a couple games. By far the funniest wins were done using burning anger on a wall of flame, and pumping it to deal massive direct damage each turn.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
With my reckoners rotating out this upcoming cycle I decided to look into some alternative ways to use them. I decided to start picking up the various pieces for red control, also known as red skred. Has anyone here had any experience playing with or against it? It looks to be a pretty enjoyable and different experience compared to my modern burn deck. Using koth, skred, and blood moon looks like a lot of fun.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I've found that Dragon Shield is the best way to go for Commander, and Hyper Mattes are by far my favorite for everything else. Honestly, if they were sold in packs of 100, I'd probably go with the Hyper Mattes for all of my cards. I have not had a chance to try out the new run of Dragon Shields though, are they significantly improved in some way? By this I mean the new Turquoise option.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
My white bordered Blood Moons provide a nice one two punch as they hit the field. The psychological pressure is too much for most.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
So I've picked up all the pieces of Skred Red on MTGO in order to get some more playtime in between the two nights my LGS runs modern events. Facing other control decks leads to some pretty interesting situations, and I wanted to share this particular match ending with you all.

Basically, I had attacked with reckoner, then hit with pyroclasm in the second main phase. At the end step I realised I had enough mana for skred, and with 7 snow lands I could end it right there. I went for it, he pathed in response, I followed up with a reverberate targeting skred, and he hits that reverberate with an overloaded counterflux. I finish the stack with a final reverberate targeting skred again, and with him tapped out I managed to take the match right out from under an oppressive Celestial Colonnade.

In short: Mono Red Control is fun.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 5, 2014

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Seconding that Koth is amazing, and really needs to reappear in standard sometime.

Clearly what burn needs is a 2cmc planeswalker...right guys?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
An alternative answer to Modern is to maindeck 4 bloodmoons and watch as tier 1 decks attempt to play with very fancy looking mountains.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Chill la Chill posted:

This is actually very cool - tap some basic islands and plains and go to town with a sweet revelation for 5 off a bunch of foil fetches. :3:

This is not a thing I have seen happen yet, but oh my would it be amazing. My modern opponents are mainly a hodge podge of pod, rg/u tron, scapeshift, bgx and affinity, with the odd uwr control, boggles, and zoi thrown in occasionally. No revelation matchups, yet!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Molybdenum posted:

Last modern tourney I played skred red, capable of T1 blood moons. I played merfolk, 8rack and soul sisters. gently caress this gay earth.

Sounds pretty rough, sometimes you just gotta sigh and board out the moons. I imagine even more wrath effects and combust would make merfolk a bit more tolerable.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I am a bit surprised that All is Dust didn't make the cut for the Vault release. I suppose it doesn't need a reprint and isn't as iconic as many of the chosen cards, but drat it's pretty sweet for commander decks in need of a sweeper.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Duel masters was a fun game, it's unfortunate that I was never able to find folks to play with back then. The mechanics were pretty darn cool.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Attorney at Funk posted:

Give me a common with a tap ability that says "Damage uses the stack this turn"

A series of enchantments that give various abilities like placing damage on the stack, granting creatures you control banding, revert the legend rules, and implement mana burn on your opponents.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I briefly thought of sarkhan as an alternative to stormbreath in skred red, but I do believe he is is susceptible to path, which is a pretty big deal in the format. Might be interesting to try out though!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

AgentSythe posted:

This Painter vs Miracles game on the SCG stream is an absolute delight.

That was magical, I want more motley crew beat downs to occur. Cedric Phillips sounded like he was close to charging down the Miracles player from the desk.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
That method of recursion looks great for fodder in mardugoats. Using it to buff up the demon or pinging with purphuros.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
That is clearly a Mardudette :colbert:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
With regards to the MTGO bug from a page back, here is an interesting article from the Meadery. While the opinion is the same as is shared amongst most, I like how the author breaks some of it down and goes through some of the issues with MTGO as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

JerryLee posted:

Maybe you're thinking of something altogether different, but I don't think Modern storm as we know it wants to be ruining its Past In Flames just to cast a Dig Through Time.

Perhaps this would give the Epic Experiment version that is floating around a chance to shine?

• Locked thread