Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.
Mahamoti Djinn. I was exposed to magic by a big group of guys playing in the cafeteria, and this one guy would always win because his Djinn was bigger than a Serra Angel. The 90s were a silly time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.
I miss the occasional Foglio popping up in sets (either one). I wouldn't want a whole set done in that style, but they were a nice break in levity. The dude in the Sulfurous Springs was just too chill for Wizards :(

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

I feel like Cogwork will be That One Card that always winds up being the remaining one in the pack, next to the land.

But for completely different reasons than unplayable card approaches.

Eh, it's still a colorless Hill Giant. I can think of plenty of drafts where I was looking light on creatures and just wanted something even mildly playable.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

Death Bot posted:

I'm curious, what am I supposed to do in this situation? I do a good job of making sure to line them up neatly and whatever, but if someone's 3 packs behind me am I just supposed to tell everyone else to not pass packs either?
Borrowed from Wizards Judge Instructions.

5. Explain next there are 3 different zones during the draft. Each zone can only hold ONE stack of cards.

They are:

1. IN HAND zone. This is the current pack that players are drafting from.

2. DRAFTED zone. This is zone collects the drafted cards a player has selected. This pile of cards should be stacked in a single pile face down with all card backs facing the same direction. The only time a player may examine this zone, is when they are between drafting packs and this should be for approximately 1 minute.

3. PASS zone. Here a player shares this zone with another to the same side as that zone. After drafting a single card from a pack, the pack can be placed in this zone making sure it follows the current rotation. If the PASS zone is still full the player cannot add a second stack. They must wait until the zone is clear. This will also cause their IN HAND zone to remain full, stopping them from recieving the next pack.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
Is there a reason they allow any form of note-taking in the first place? The whole thing seems like a sliding scale from any sort of objective overview, whether it's notes or cameras or even your own video recorder.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

theironjef posted:

From the magic website:

That means I can take notes during my current match, right?

Memory is not a skill being tested by Magic. That's why players are allowed to take in-game notes, and consult them during the remainder of the match. Keep in mind, though, that these notes have to be written down in a timely fashion. These notes can only be used by you, and only during the same match. You may also ask for the current Oracle wording on a particular card.

Then why disallow instant digital photographs, apart from "it's against the rules"?

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

Stinky Pit posted:

You're supposed to be done with your notes after the game. Disseminating them via text is obviously a direct violation of that you loving goober.

Where does that idea come from?

From the Wizards Website that was used earlier:

"2) Information regarding opponent's decks.
While you can certainly get information regarding possible opponents between rounds from your friends, etc, you can't refer to these notes once the round starts."

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

Roadie posted:

2) Pyxis of Pandemonium is a goofy card that only really works if you abuse Scry to pre-stack the cards you'll be exiling. Otherwise you're paying a bunch of mana to exile and then bring back in a bunch of cards for no good reason.

Funny prerelease story about pyxis - a buddy of mine had fun using it with the blue promo, bringing a bunch of stuff into play EoT then bouncing the opponents board. It was funny to see the card actually work in limited.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
As someone who doesn't do constructed anymore, I just donate my FNM pack-winnings to the kids league that the store runs the next day. Something like 10-12 middle-school kids who still get really excited about the cards.

I was just informed that there was a god-pack opened from last night's donation, and that the kids flipped their collective poo poo :3:

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

Mercury Crusader posted:

If you draft Cogwork Librarian during the first pack draft, you could potentially draft two bombs/money rares in the second or third pack. An early Deal Broker can also be useful if you draft a good bomb/rare that somebody else might be interested in.

Some interesting Cogwork Librarian tech that showed up in a draft last night - a buddy had two face up in front of him, and at pick #8 he got a pack with a Lurking Automaton, the guy that gets bigger based on how many cards you've drafted from the pack. He used both Librarians to artificially increase the number of cards he had drafted that pack, since the librarian specifically instructs you to "draft" the additional card(s). Everyone at the table thought it was clever, and the judge agreed that the Automatons he drafted would be 10/10s instead of 8/8s.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
I'd have forgiven Hot Soup if they brought back a Foglio for the illustration.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Jalira is a 4 drop...

A mana dork in the first two turns means she can come out on turn 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002

mcmagic posted:

So U for Jalira, W for Raise the Alarm and G for Dorks? Sounds like you'll hit a wurm T4 about 1% of the time...

With the dork you don't need raise the alarm, although it does mean you can miss on the Jalira activation.

• Locked thread