Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Red has always been my favorite color and I have a special place one my heart for the Odyssey block punisher cycle of cards.

I can't tell you how many times I casted Blazing Salvo, had my opponent take 5, then killed the target creature anyway with a different burn spell. The fact that they let me have a one mana Lava Axe pissed them off everytime.

My favorite non-crap card is probably Ball Lightning. Simple, Iconic, Effective. As a bonus, it sounds badass in German. (Kugelblitz:black101:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Tamagod Sushi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Good ol' Psycatog! More tournament cards need to have a smile while wrecking tables. It may not seem much now, but there was a time when this card was notorious as one of the best creatures of all time and was played in a wide variety of control decks.

God drat he was ridiculous.

Blue/Black also had Shadowmage Infiltrator (a.k.a Finkeltron) in the same set.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 7, 2014

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Quick rules question.

I have a Satyr Firedancer and my Opponent has a Voice of Resurgence. During my main phase I cast Searing Blood, targeting the Voice. My understanding of the rules leads me to believe the following will happen.

1) Searing Blood resolves and deals 2 damage to the Voice

2) State based actions are checked and the Voice dies, triggering both the Voice and the Searing Blood. Since I am the active player, my trigger goes on the stack first, followed by the Voice.

3) Elemental token from the Voice trigger enters the battlefield.

4) Searing Blood deals 3 damage to my opponent, which triggers Satyr Firedancer.

5) Satyr Firedancer's trigger does 3 damage to the Voice token.

Is this correct? I'm still really iffy when it comes to simultaneous triggers and state based actions.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

OssiansFolly posted:

I HIGHLY doubt they will reprint TNN. It is kind of strong outside multiplayer formats (the ones it is allowed in). Reprinting it would drop the price on it, and the C13 packs though...

I could easily see TNN in this set. It was designed with multiplayer in mind and makes perfect sense to have on a multiplayer draft format. It also gives people an incentive to buy packs outside of drafting since its legacy playable.

Fox of Stone posted:

They are both appreciated cards in multiplayer and are uncommon.

E: they reprinted scavenging ooze, a former commander only card, in a core set with accompanying DOTP promo.

The rarity it was first printed at means nothing. Sengir Vampire went from uncommon to rare and then back to uncommon.

Force of Will is clearly at a rare power level. I'm highly skeptical of a reprint in this set and 100% sure that it wouldn't be uncommon if it was reprinted.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 13, 2014

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kabanaw posted:

...Yeah, that! I forgot Cryptic Command was in the set. It's worth more than it's ever been now.

I ordered one off a tcgplayer vendor over a week ago and it still hasn't shipped. The vendor is not responding to my messages about the order's status. I've already escalated the issue to tcgplayer and the order will probably end up canceled and I'll get a refund.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same card pop up the day after cancellation and it be listed at the new higher price.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Boxman posted:

I'm guessing M15 picks up with Garruk the Veil-Cursed, although we probably won't get DFCs in the core set.

Fluff question about Nissa, since I wasn't around for RoE. Is she just supposed to be really stupid? The MTGsalvation wiki says that instead of reinforcing the hedrons, and broke them and released the Eldrazi because she thought they would run away for some reason. Was that better explained ever? Because a one sentence description makes it sound like maybe the dumbest thing any hero in MTG history has done.

Haha I was wondering this too. I'm inclined to believe she really is that stupid because Sorin is absolutely dumbfounded and just kind of goes "Holy poo poo, gently caress all of ya'll. I'm leaving"

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Veyrall posted:

Yeah, Nissa is kind of played up as being a typical arrogant elf, until after her big "Oh poo poo" moment. I seem to remember a quote from her about being regretful and such, but hell if I know where to find it again.

One wiki says she left Zendikar to track down Sorin and "drag" him back to help deal with the Eldrazi. I imagine there will be more groveling and begging than dragging.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I'm hoping Nissa's appearance means we'll be returning to Zendikar soon and get some fetchland reprints because prices are really getting out of hand at this point.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

jassi007 posted:

If you take thoughtseize as an example, yes. It went down before Theros came out from a high of about $65. Here you can see for yourself, http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Lorwyn/Thoughtseize

The shocklands might be a pretty good indicator as well. They were fairly pricey prior to RTR. http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Guildpact/Steam+Vents

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Stinky Pit posted:

I don't know why its so hard to understand that Wizards makes more money selling a new set with some random loving dragon to 8 Million middle schoolers than it will ever make selling desirable reprints to the likes of us.

It's not hard to understand, but I don't believe competitive and casual are mutually exclusive. Onslaught was full of Timmy crap, as well as the fetches.

I don't think anyone should be advocating mass quantaties of any single card. But I do think staples like the fetches should be on a fairly regular reprint schedule. They don't need to be in almost every core set, like Birds of Paradise, but as of this point there's been only two sets, plus some judge promos that have fetches. That's not nearly enough for a cycle of cards that are more present in modern and legacy deck lists than actual basic lands.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Yikes that's unfortunate. When I first read that comment I interpreted it as "Man, why can't America be as chill as Europe?"

He really could've worded it better though. Taken on its own it sounds awful.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Zoness posted:

Time Spiral storm island is one of the better islands that's overlooked imo.

Look at that beauty:

I have one of these in my Splinter Twin deck that I've spent a little extra money on blinging out. I can attest that it looks fantastic in foil.

Speaking of my Twin deck, avoid the vendor Undead Gaming if you shop on tcgplayer. I ordered a textless Cryptic Command 2 weeks ago, right before the price spike, and it magically never shipped. I couldn't get then to respond to any messages until I escalated the issue to tcgplayer. TCGplayer ended up canceling the order for me and I imagine we'll soon see the card relisted 10 bucks higher.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

jassi007 posted:

He'll be back, I'm sure they're not going to let Karn and Phyrexia go, I'd bet they're debating on whether to do Mirrodin 3, back to Dominaria, or some new setting with them.

They won't do it, but I've joked with my buds about a Phyrexian invasion of Alara.

Jin-Gitaxias seizing Esper. :allears:

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Count Bleck posted:

I eagerly await Compleated zombie Venser.

Not a walker anymore, he knows how to build that Phyrexian planes walking ship.

Since Karn is 1: a dumbass and 2: in possession of Venser's body, he'll probably do something dumb like try to ressurect him with a shard of the Mirrari and then he'll magically get a spark due yo the trauma of being ressurected and become the Esperwalker of my dreams. :appears:

Maybe Karn and Nissa will form the ultimate dumbass tag team and try to put the Phyrexians and Eldrazi against each other. What could go wrong?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Alaan posted:

It might be more clear depending on where they jump with Tezzeret. Apparently he is pretty high up on the chain of command right now in New Phyrexia on Bolas' orders. However that is mainly from the book which doesn't even have the Praetors so ???

He was last seen battling Glissa and the outcome of that fight is up in the air.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Stinky Pit posted:

If you never had to make a deck filled with angels and nice cards to show your mom because someone at work told her the game was Satanic then you're not allowed to have an opinion on anything related to Magic.

You know who went to Catholic school and had their cards confiscated during lunch?

<----This guy.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Boxn posted:

Did you ever get them back? What were they?

Yeah, I had to get my mom to write a note that said she allowed me to have them and then I had to agree not to bring it to school anymore.

It wouldn't have been the complete end of the world because I was just starting out and only had a precon deck supplemented by a few boosters. It was the black/white Urza's Saga precon.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 19, 2014

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

PrinnySquadron posted:

Also, the old gold frames were horrible. Absolutely terrible.

You're wrong because the old border clearly drove home the point that multicolor cards were more valuable and powerful than mono color ones.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

The Wonder Weapon posted:

http://travistyofmagic.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-art-of-magic-art.html
Future sight borders are pretty awesome, but would probably be tiresome if they were more common. Colorshifted looks like trash. Damnation looks awesome because the art works so well. Stick the MPR Ron Spencer art on it and you'd be singing a different story: http://magiccards.info/mprp/en/24.html

I can't help but love Ron Spencer because he still resides in the 90's.

I also collected Rage and he really fit well in that setting, so I have a soft spot in my heart.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lord Of Texas posted:

Maybe and that's fine, but why would I want to watch someone produce content that they are only half-interested in (yet extremely defensive of in Woo's case?)

What's weird is that in his latest article, where he accidentally insults Spain, he reverses course and talks about how wonderful Magic is and how he loves it more and more each year.

Dude has something wrong with his brain, I guess.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Haha there are no more Teferi's on TCGplayer.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I only recently started playing Twin and can attest to the deck's robustness. Clique, Snapcaster and a grip of burn and/or counters can put in a lot of work, while the opponent has to carefully dance around your combo. If they slip for a second then they'll suddenly lose to the combo.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

jhorphear posted:

Remand is at 18-20 now.

Might as well just buy a foil one. They're only a few bucks more than that at the moment.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

vOv posted:

I mean, you also can't buy miscut stocks.

Not true.

My foil, miscut Microsoft stock that was misprint in German as "Apple" is double sleeved in my Legacy portfolio.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

ungulateman posted:

I had a dumb bad question that got lost a while ago so I'll repeat it with more clarification:

I'm looking to build a reasonably cheap green "big things!" deck for either Standard or Modern. I'd like to splash either R or W (preferably not both, but eh) into said deck.

Is there a good pre-constructed deck on the market I could use for a base? If not, what would be a good place to start? I wouldn't mind grabbing some Garruks from M14, personally...

e: well that's a hell of a page snipe

Unfortunately, there's no Big Green precons. The closest thing is the Heroes and Monsters dual deck with Polukranos, but those decks aren't standard legal.

Red/Green is also a fairly popular standard deck archetype at the moment and a lot of the cards are going to carry a premium. Here's a sample. http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1187917

I'm not terribly well versed in Modern, but I don't know of any Big Green decks in that format.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

ungulateman posted:

:stare: Well, I could theoretically blow some cash on that level of deck, but I'd really rather not.

I know somebody a long time ago mentioned they were in Brisbane - if you're still there, where do you get your Magic fix from?

There's a lot of cheap ways to get into magic.

If you have a circle of friends to play with, try the commander format.

There's a set of 5 precon decks that sell for 30 bucks each at Wal-Mart and Target. You could also try pauper Commander which is the very definition of cheap.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I don't know about anyone else's FLGS, but mine does the bulk of their MTG business with the Standard format. Sometimes, trying to buy singles out of the case on Friday nights is akin to trying to order a drink from the bartender in a packed nightclub, as people try to get the last few staples for their FNM deck. The speed at which they can move standard product is ridiculous.

Conversely, they have a small section of shelf space dedicated to Modern/Legacy stuff that moves a whole lot slower. There's a few people interested in the non-rotating formats, but most people were turned off by the barrier of entry even before this insane spike in everything. It moves a whole hell of a lot slower and is also much more expensive for the store to acquire. I don't think they'd mind too much if modern staples became cheaper for them both to sell and acquire.

I think the prices of cards are a lot more resiliant nowadays than the days of Chronicles. Chronicles is such an abberation because it was so massively printed, the secondary market was nothing like it is today, and there's also only a handful of cards in set that are actually worth looking at. (As an aside, I'm surprised that Chronicles Blood Moon is actually 10+ bucks, wow!) Nowadays, Wizards is generally sane with the amount they print of a normal set, the secondary market has much more structure, and people place quite a bit of value on what set the card came from. Thoughtsieze should be a good example. Wizards put it in a major set that's getting opened a lot and its a reasonable 15 bucks. The Lorwyn version is still a respectable 30. If we got a Modern Masters type product with a Theros size print run I think we'd be ok.

It would be terrible if all of a shops product tanked to pennies on the dollar, however, short of Wizards losing their mind and deciding to convert Magic to an LCG format, I don't think that's going to happen.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Molybdenum posted:

Why are the dexterity cards banned in legacy/vintage?

Dexterity is not a skill they want to test in organized play.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kasonic posted:

Wait, what?

Having someone take a picture of your butt crack is something that would probably make you feel uncomfortable at best. At worst it's a form of sexual harassment.

It's a funny series of photos but its not behavior that Wizards can ignore.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Entropic posted:

If that mockery counts as sexual harassment, then exposing your rear end like that counts as sexual harassment.

If Wizard's lets this slide then some creepy nerd is going to try to do this stunt with any women in attendance.

Well, lets face it, it'll probably happen anyway now that the seed is planted.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
My friend and I are both seriously considering selling the legacy decks we built at the end of last year because we'd easily double up from what we paid.

I really don't want to because I love the deck but that's a LOT of money I could have in my pocket.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Is Little Wars still around? And did they ever start selling singles?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

bhsman posted:

Nice; you go to Little Wars, Rockets, or somewhere else?

EDIT: Is this Andy? :v:

Yes and yes, though I haven't been there in forever.

I heard from one of my buddies that the place kind of went down the drain after a while. Good to hear that another place cropped up.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

bhsman posted:

Rocket's has been around for a few years, I think. Little Wars is more of an RPG/Tabletop place that dabbles in CCGs whereas Rocket's handles everything from MtG to Pokemon and Yugioh, even the MLP card game.

Little Wars was the only real game in town when I was living in Baton Rouge from 2001-2004. I only get occasional updates from my friends who still live in the area.

I'm gonna talk some ancient history here, but they lost a lot of their thunder when they were forced to move from College Dr by the opening of the Wal-Mart. It made it much more of a pain to get there from LSU since you now had to cross I-10. Plus they lost the convenience of being within walking distance of a Chinese buffet and a cafe.

Ah, memories. :allears:

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Attorney at Funk posted:

Another card from the Oracle Twitter:

This could be an ok late game bomb in standard. It's like Fanatic of Mogis without needing a battlefield full of permanents.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Attorney at Funk posted:

I dunno... seven mana is a lot for a monocolored deck that doesn't want scrylands or arguably even Mutavaults. You'd need a really specific set of circumstances for this not to deal more damage as a Stormbreath Dragon.

It's situational to be sure. I'm going off my own personal experience where I gas out in the mid to late game and would have loved to top deck this guy.

He'd probably just be a singleton.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
+1/+1 counters stay on a Mutavault after it ceases becoming a creature right?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Even just flashing in Dictate after blockers are declared is really potent. Blocked my Reckoner is Desecration Demon? Sure, take 24!

Dictate is also nuts with Fanatic of Mogis.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'll check them out. I have some KMC Perfect Fit for my board game cards, and they were like a really nice penny sleeve.

I don't know if I'm interpreting you right or not, but Perfect Fits are actually used as a sleeve that goes inside a normal sleeve for added protection. They're not intended to be used on their own.

Entropic posted:

I just lump Pauper in with Vintage in the category of "cool formats no one plays for various reasons".

One of my friends is trying to get me to buy into online Pauper, and I've got to say, it looks really cool.

It seems like Izzet Blitz would be really strong in that format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know, but for board games, I use them on their own since it's a size/protection tradeoff. I'm talking about cards for games like Agricola and Twilight Struggle, not anything collectible.

Yeah I realized that. My confusion was that I read your post as "KMC, really? I used their perfect fits for board games but they just seemed like nice penny sleeves and not suitable for MTG."

• Locked thread