Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

What a Judas posted:

I love Stasis.

This man knows whats up! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

toadee posted:

This man knows whats up! :hfive:

I suppose I can go more in depth now that I'm more awake. I love Stasis because I am a miserable bastard, for sure. However, it will always hold a dear place in my heart for winning me a tournament held after school by a kid who was a senior, in probably 1995 or 1996. I remember quite clearly dominating with something like the following list:

4x Stasis
4x Counterspell
4x Serra Angel
1x Balance
4x Wrath of God
4x Power Sink
1x Sol Ring
4x Howling Mine
4x Boomerang
2x Kismet
4x Yotian Soldier
4x Tundra
10x Plains
10x Island

Something like that, I know the sideboard had Disechant, CoP for Black, Red and Green, probably Blue Elemental Blast as well.

People were tilting the gently caress out over this thing. One large bone of contention was that I borrowed some cards (a Tundra, one of the Kismets, and a Wrath of God or two) from my Dad. This probably wouldn't have caused a stir if I wasn't locking the gently caress out of everyone and slowly destroying them. Originally, the tournament grand prize was supposed to be a Mox Pearl I believe, could have been any of the five. After all of the uproar I ended up with a Colossus of Sardia. I was kind of bummed but seriously slamming Stasis was so satisfying all day I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Best card ever.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

OssiansFolly posted:

So here's a question. If I get a Brimaz in my box (crossing fingers) do I sell it now and buy what I need later when the price drops? I'm assuming it is going to go down in price but do you think it will hit sub $15 within the month?

If someone could tell you the answer to this with 100% certainty, they should be off getting rich

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I really really like all of the Eldrazi. I had just restarted playing Magic at the tail end of worldwake, and the first card I saw from RoE was Ulamog and just thought whooooaaa how do I even use this? It was mind blowingly large and expensive, and just really really cool.

Also Vent Sentinel. RoE was the best.

In a similar, way older school way, Lord of the Pit for me. Someone randomly dropped one in a casual game against me the other day and it really brought me back. Shivan Dragon too. I actually watched a friend trade a Mox Sapphire for a Shivan Dragon once. Magic was way more awesome when I was 13 and didn't know anything about it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

It's not that powerful, it fits well into a specific deck in this specific standard, after it rotates it will be a $0.25 card.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Kilazar posted:

Can you point me to stronger black 3 drops?

Well, Liliana of the Veil is the go to in Legacy and Modern for black 3 drop in general. It also I suppose depends on what you want to do.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Kilazar posted:

But those are really for people who want to spend bank right? I'm talking for a player thats not going to bankroll a deck just to stomp plebs at FNM.

Well after rotation, most FNMs (although not all, some will be Modern) will not play the card because it won't be standard legal. Then, if you want to play Modern or Legacy (where it would then be legal), you can either spend a bunch, or play a budget fringe deck.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

jassi007 posted:

I have threatened to make a red/blue chaos deck. all the stupid weird red cards, possiblity storm and warp world and whatever other coin flipping nonsense, goblin test pilot etc etc. I'll just make it so nobody knows how the gently caress to play anymore.

I made a dude like table flipping made in a casual game doing this. He was like 'you need to take that deck and just.. just loving rip it up'. I had an Eye of the Storm out, with so many things on it, I think there were two Warp Worlds, a Goblin Game, a Terminus, and a Scrambleverse in there. It was also a 6 person multiplayer game. I think after 35 minutes of trying to resolve a couple of Scrambleverse's we just declared 'game broken'. It's a funny archetype but it can go way too far, especially with a lot of players involved.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Zoness posted:

A robotic player wouldn't play Affinity, Stax, Painted Stone, or Shop?

Heh, excuse me, a robotic player plays Doomsday all day.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I only hope for that if they actually print it and sell it for MSRP. Otherwise, Ill take some cool draft mechanics and such on their own thanks!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I really don't see what Chronicles 2 would have been a big issue except among a few. Chronicles 1 was a 'debacle' among a select few who actually had a chance to open more than 5 packs of Legends. For 99.9% of us playing at the time, it was like mana from heaven. I loved the loving poo poo out of Chronicles and I would love 'Modern/Legacy Staples: The boxload Unlimited'.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Smart retailers will be fine, others won't, life will go on and more people will play more formats of magic because they like to and it will be affordable.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Im sure some retailers that aren't diversified enough to make money elsewhere/with the new influx of people who can play the game they want to play will take a hit. Some will fail. This happens literally any time something shakes up any retail market. Others will not fail, they will thrive, new places will come about to take advantage of the new shift in the market dynamics and overall, more people will be playing these awesome formats because they can. This is better for us, so really I think the massive net positive of availability far outweighs the hit some retailers will face. Also I don't care one single bit about individuals who have money 'invested' or whatever in Magic. That's a risk you take for storing money in the form of cardboard art rectangles.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

It's not just "some" retailers though. It's literally any retailer who does a lot of business in singles. Screwing over the people who sell your product to other people is a real bad way for WotC to stay in business.

Then why does Starcity want WOTC to end the reserve list and print Legacy staples, devaluing their entire stock of them?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

"Printing Legacy staples" does not necessitate "Printing Chronicles 2.0: Staples Edition."

Im sure they'd do just fine, including suddenly making a killing running 2x the number of SCG Legacy events, if not more.

They'd also suddenly sell a bunch more of all kinds of other cards that didn't get reprinted, they'd sell more in general, because more people would be playing.

Whatever, I don't really care what others opinions are, the result is going to likely be somewhere in the middle, trying to please everyone and just pissing us all off in the process.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

NObody was happy with Modern Masters at all. Nobody.

Everyone I know personally was extremely upset that they weren't able to get their hands on any product at all at MSRP, and even at 2x MSRP, they were still limited to a handful of packs. Basically exactly the same reason everyone I knew was pissed off about Legends when it first came out.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

The print size was literally the only problem with MMA

Hahaha yup, that was THE problem with it, and basically the worst one. The injection of cards had about zero effect on prices of the big staples, and in fact, the price of Bob and Goyf has gone up since, significantly. So, yay for making a great limited format that hardly anyone got to play and doing nothing but stoking the fires of Modern demand to the point of pricing people even farther out of the format? I'm not loving joking when I say Misty Rainforest and Scalding Tarn are going to hit $100 by the end of the year with no reprints. Goyf could hit $200+. I would say so far Modern Masters has been a net negative.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

The YGO model is so bad. Instead of balancing the game, they just have a gigantic banlist that changes with every set depending on what new deliberately broken thing they printed in that set. Then they reprint the unbanned card at common.

Couldn't they just print a bunch of stuff, and not make broken cards, thereby having a bunch of availability, but not a huge ban list? It's not like making dumb broken cards has to go hand in hand with printing a bunch.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

In other news, Tavis Woo kicks off his PT Valencia articles by insulting everyone he can:

quote:

Half of the people don't work and the other half of the people don't work much compared to a working American. Suspiciously none of them are starving. Seems like they hang out in the park, walk their dogs, and chill at home. It's a slow pace. Things feel a little more present, but somehow mañana turns into mañana turns into mañana.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/woo-brews-play-the-game-see-valencia/

The first comment says it best

quote:

Half the people dont work, the other half dont work much. You arrogant prick. You just flew half way around the world to land in a beautiful country, rich in history to play a goddamn card game.
You need your wings clipped in a big way.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yes instead they are increasing supply by such a small amount it increases demand tot he point that the cards in question cost more than they started with. Excellent planning.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

That's not actually a direct result of MMA, calling MMA a failure because prices on cards went up after more people got into Modern because it got wider exposure as a result of MMA being a thing is pretty dumb. Especially when they were up front about why MMA was getting a small printing and that if it went well they'd do larger print runs in the future.

This is why I said 'excellent planning', because anyone would be able to figure that a massive push for Modern, a massive Modern Masters GP, and a promise to print more Modern 'sometime' would drive demand through the roof. Now they're looking at possibly shooting themselves in the foot by losing a ton of that because they didn't have the forsight to realize a huge uptick in demand would lead to a massive price hike across the board that one tiny reprint set wouldn't do anything for.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I can reasonably expect people to predict that after saying 'HEY GUYS WE ARE GOING TO SUPPORT MODERN A TON MODERN AT FNM MODERN REPRINTS MODERN EVENT DECKS MODERN IS GOING TO BE AWESOME', there is going to be a significant increase in demand for cards in Modern.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Lord Of Texas posted:

I don't hold any rage for the guy, but he is the furthest thing from "chill". Unless "chill" is a synonym for "insecure, passive-aggressive, and takes himself way too seriously". A few weeks ago he opened one of his articles with a spiel about "Magic sucks in every way but I still play it because I like deckbuilding I guess". During his videos he seems to not be able to stop himself from commenting on how much he doesn't care about that misplay he just made. His constant drawl like he's always high is really hard to listen to as well.

Yah, he is REAL high strung. The fitness/life coach guru stuff is a major tip off. It's fine to work out and eat well, lots of us do, by constantly droning on about it and how many positive things you can do for your life etc etc is a major red flag. He gets supremely defensive over any mention of play mistakes in comments on CFB. I don't hate the guy, I don't rage about his 'deck stealing' (that poo poo is stupid). I even have enjoyed playing around with some of his 'terribad' brews because often they are funny and fun to mess around with. Make no mistake though, he's the kind of guy who would be an insane ball of passive aggressive bullhit 'look at me Im so great' diatribes nonstop.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I bet all those people are feeling great about their $80 Bitterblossoms now

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I was joking with a friend that after all the 'brewing' articles Woo was going to end up just playing Living End again. Looks like he should have

fake edit: I actually have no idea what's he's playing anyway

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

The March Hare posted:

Is he at the pro tour?

Yup, currently in 188'th place (his brother Elliot is in 99th).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I don't think he's on Team CFB, he just posts articles on the site.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Enchantment tutor in modern. Probably someone won a game on a stream with 3 people witnessing it and by next week it will be $45. Just part of the inevitable match toward $5,000 decks in the 'accessible' eternal format.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Modern has caused literally every card I've gone 'eh someday Ill grab some of those' with to become ridiculously priced. gently caress Modern and/or gently caress WoTC for not printing to support it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

WotC is trying. They're just really slow.

See: The Shocklands and Thoughtseize.

Great so by the time I'm 65 there will be a couple of decently priced decks!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Literally every Modern staple will be $100 in 2 months, by next year, will be able to trade a tier 1 Modern deck for a reasonably comfortable mid-sized family sedan. In 5 years time, those who command the power of a tournament ready Modern deck will control 97% of the world's wealth.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Modern Masters didn't push anything down, the desirable staples in the set went up in value, massively. It reduced the price of some fringe cards like Pact of Negation and Bridge from Below, but Goyf, Bob, the Swords, etc all went up up up.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Snapcaster Mage started the year at $14.95 and is now skyrocketing over $40. Ensnaring Bridge is now going up over $25. Enduring Ideal, a card that is worthless outside of being the center of a ridiculously awesome (and hence absolutely terrible) combo deck, is now $5+. Modern is going absolutely loving stupid insane, hopefully some of it settles eventually because it's also just pricing a ton of 'fun casual cards to build silly casual decks around' into oblivion.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

In every LGS I've been to, if suddenly their stock of very expensive ($70+) cards were suddenly worth zero, I would estimate that's probably $5-7000 of revenue total, at the very most, that would have been spread out over like maybe a year in sales, since those cards hardly ever move. If that would break an LGS then they probably would have killed themselves in a myriad of other ways.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Well guess what kind of revenue generating events will now be MUCH more popular....

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I really wish someone would do a write up (or point to one) analyzing the revenue streams of LGS's, because from what I've seen my gut tells me singles sales don't take up much at all. I'm sure this also varies store to store. Push comes to shove though, I will side with players over stores, because I know there is a way to make money selling sealed product and hosting events, and I loved the poo poo out of Chronicles when it came out.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I did manage to find an article about 'Unseen Costs that Threaten Gaming Stores' that suggests MTG Sealed product is measurably more valuable than singles stock, primarily because singles don't move fast enough:

http://www.gamehead.com/article/1930/5-unseen-costs-threaten-game-stores

quote:

The wild card in gaming retail turn rates is [b:Magic: the Gathering]. A good supply of MTG booster packs, several cases worth, will sell out for a store in anywhere between one and three weeks, depending on the amount of organized play that store supports. This high turn rate means good cash flow and good revenue coming in. What this also means is that stores focused heavily on MTG will not as easily see which other product areas they have that are underperforming their turn rate.

and

quote:

The worst turn rates in the hobby industry belong to out-of-print role-playing game media, out-of-print board games, and non-investment-level out-of-print TCG singles. The common aspect of these products is that they are “back catalog.” A store should generally not endeavor to stock them at all – even at a dime on the dollar, the investment “rots on the shelves.”

Of course, this is coming from noted titan of the industry 'Gamehead'.

It's actually kind of crazy how hard it is to find anything resembling numbers from anyone about what percentage of gaming stores' revenue is made up from selling singles, since the singles market is such a highly contested and divisive topic.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Does anyone have any actual numbers from even one LGS about what percentage of revenue they get from singles vs sealed vs misc paraphernalia?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Saeku posted:

You're not going to find this info anywhere because most games stores don't share their data, and the revenue breakdown of game stores is incredibly diverse. Go into a bunch of different game stores and sit around a bit and you'll notice this.

Yes I know, hence why I said before 'Im sure this varies'.

Even example numbers, from someone who say, used to run a store, whatever. I haven't seen anything from anyone who actually does this so I'm not sure why we would all just assume that shops do a ton of revenue in expensive singles. When is the last time anyone here went into their LGS and bought a $50+ card from a case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

If Legacy and Vintage are to be formats that exist in paper and in MTGO in identical forms, then you can't well be flipping cards from a foot above your virtual table online.

• Locked thread