Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Chris Van Meter goes 9-0 after a 0-1-1 start to probably make top 8 at the SCG St Louis Open. Not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Played 2 game days today with Mono Blue. Went 2-3 in the first one, and couldn't believe how a deck so bad could win pro tours. Then in the second tournament I went 4-0 and was like "I AM A GOD WALKING AMONG MEN! ALL BOW OR FACE MY WRATH!" It's amazing how much difference a little bit smoother curve can make. Got a sweet playmat, and a bunch of store credit. When entering my codes, I also realized that I missed the 5th promo in the Hero's Path because I had to miss Release weekend because of being a parent (stupid adulthood) if anybody happens to have that promo card and gives no fucks about the online achievement (or has an extra one) and wants to send me that code, I'd be mighty grateful. I'm sure I can find someone at my store who doesn't care, and will toss me a code, but with this whole parenting thing its hard to make it out as much as I used to.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
You're an rear end in a top hat for giving your store credit to that douchebag, thus letting him believe that his behavior was even vaguely acceptable. Otherwise it sounds like you're a perfect gentleman.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Can anyone report how the Doomwake giant is performing at their sealed events? Wondering if it's worth going black. My friend and I are both going for white at 2hg tomorrow but I like having the different promos.

It was surprisingly awesome for me. I was undefeated a my midnight prerelease, but I had a million enchantments and enchantment creatures. If you can load up with a bunch of constellation dudes and other enchantment creatures you really get a lot of incremental value each time you play them. Eats anything with one toughness until you remove it, occasionally you can rig it to snag a two toughness dude. Even when it doesn't work as removal, you can use it to force unfavorable blocking and push extra damage through with something like Humbler of Mortals and Oakheart Dryads, and turns stuff like Fated Intervention into a straight up bomb. Plus it's just a plain big ol' dude at a reasonable cost that's not always easy to remove. I found constellation to be kinda like extort. While each activation was a small effect, over time it tipped every game in my favor.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

Normally, 8 packs between the two of you.

For prereleases, you get a prerelease box each, and you can share cards as normal, making for some completely disgusting decks. Theros sealed was particularly gross, it was very easy to make a mono-black deck to take advantage of 10 packs of Grey Merchants plus two seeded black packs, while the other player has 10 packs of fixing to work with to play whatever other power cards you pull.

Still more fair than gatecrash prerelease 2hg, I played against a team that picked double Orzhov, one person was control to keep things in line for long enough for the other person to kill us with 4 unstoppable Debt to the Deathless.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Beard update: CVM loses the last two in the SCG finals to take 2nd and remain a hairy bastard. Just needed one more game.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno if its any good but that Burning Reanimator deck they just profiled at the SCG Open seems insanely stylish.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
High Tide was called High Tide before SCG ever existed.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Where are they posting about this?

https://twitter.com/MagicOnline

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
God, I love Monored.
God, I hate Bertoncini.
It's a good day.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

logis posted:

Ross takes the match with triple Raging Goblin. Red is amusing.

Triple raging goblin that he took 6 to play from his own Eidolon.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Why is it called that?

http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=sb20001005a

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zemyla posted:

Do you have a link to a copy of that video? I want to see this.

Video's not up yet, though it should be on scglive on twitch archives pretty soon. They're doing replays right now for the next hour or so before they start legacy coverage, so it'll probably come up in a half hour or so. Here's text coverage http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/2685_semifinals_alex_bertoncini_vs_.html

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What's the deal with tiebreakers at GPChicago? I saw some tweets about it, but there wasn't exactly any details.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

Mono-Red Aggro wins another SCG Open. Expect to see a million of these decks at your local FNM for the next month.

Edit: Adrian Sullivan plays Darksteel Ingot, Debtor's Pulpit, Essence Scatter, Cyclonic Rift, Opportunity, Render Silent, and TRADING POST in his U/W Control deck. I forgive him for playing all his permanents upside-down with lands in front.

I never really cared for Adrian Sullivan as a commentator, but I love his deck and playstyle. I hate lands in front, but with them all upside down, I imagine it just tilts his opponents so I can approve. He's definitely been a treat to watch this weekend, and I generally can't stand to watch Sphinx's decks.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Vital Signs posted:

Just another Rip n Flip victim at my LGS. So many broken hearts.

I was there for this. It was awesome. My buddy almost had a seizure.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
4-0-2 as Mardu. Was a pile of two drops (triple hasty 2/2s), Zurgo, a pair of ponyback goblins and those raid guys who get back two drops, and some of the expensive removal. Biggest disappointment was kill shot, my opponents were always on the back foot, and mostly never attacked when I had mana up. I wish I'd just played another throttle over it. Wish I had ride downs, too, but didn't see any, but I can't really complain since I only dropped one game all night and got 22 packs waiting for me.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been testing a new mono red deck that uses monastery swiftspear that makes sligh's curve look steep. I can't decide if 15 or 16 lands is right. Swiftspear is definitely insane, though. Between the haste, 2 toughness, and adding 1 damage to all the burn and heroic enablers, it really makes the deck way more viable. And, aside from Firedrinker Satyrs it uses no rares, so I kinda just want to play it unsleeved to add to the rage inducing factor.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
$25 to enter at my LGS, paid out 22 packs each for all of top 8, and 4 each to all of top 16, with like 50 people... I'd find a new store, man.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Wicked Wall posted:

Prerelease chat: went Mardu and ended up going 0-3 with 1 draw, which I'm personally fine with considering I'd only been playing Magic a week and had never played physical or built a deck before. The draw would've been a win, though the opponent in question just sat there and stalled until time with his Temur chunkies while on 1 health. He was also the only guy who was fairly unaccommodating and unpleasant even when I explained I was new, which if anything shows how nice everyone else I met and played was (even the guy who opened 2 Sarkhans and railed me super hard in the 2nd game was helpful!). Made some friends and got some cards so once again cheers for the recommendation, whoever that was.

Also, is the general consensus that Ankle Shanker is good for aggro? It was my promo and through buying the Mardu intro deck too and prize packs I now have 3 of them, so between that and all the other cards I was going to try to cobble together a Reddish aggro deck (especially if I can get my hands on some Rabbles).
Ankle Shanker is very powerful in limited but too expensive for constructed.
If you want to play mono-red cheaply build this for probably less than the cost of 1 rabblemaster: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3572508&perpage=40&pagenumber=124#post435235570 It might not be quite as good as Rabble Red, but it can be better sometimes. It's definitely way cheaper, and comes out faster, and should be able to take down enough matchups. You really gotta think about your plays to maximize damage though. It's not a mindless deck, because you basically can cast anything in your hand starting on turn one, and you have to anticipate your opponents plays to choose the line that will get you to 20 fastest while minimizing chances for them blowing you out. Plus people will rage when you kill them on turn 3-4 with a deck that costs less than a single rare of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
There's a really good standard deck for under $15 right now, just saying. I know I keep posting about it, but it's really exciting.

• Locked thread