Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Winter Orb, because I'm a huge dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Rishadan Port is at $100.

What. The. gently caress.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

C-Euro posted:

I saw that the other day. This is going to out me as a horrible nerd but I took my girlfriend out to a really nice dinner last night, and afterwords the first thought that popped into my head "drat, that entire meal cost about as much as two Ports, what the gently caress kind of world do we live in?"

E: Jesus H the TCGPlayer average is $118 now :negative: Was it always so sought-after when it first got printed? I noticed it's banned in Block Constructed, for what little that means today.

The only upside to my precious legacy goblins deck being utter poo poo in the current meta is that the 4x wastelands and 4x rishadan ports are worth like $800 now.

So, I guess I 'win'.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
New Battle Pack:

2 boosters for $4.99

Boosters include 1 fetchland, 1 dual land, 1 FoW, 1 Clique, 1 Dark Confidant, 1 Tarmogoyf, and 8 tokens!

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
All of the archetypes in standard seem awful to play/play against.

5 flavors of the same aggro deck
Every variety of U/W control

The only standout and cool deck is G/B graveyard shenanigans deck using Nemesis.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
That card's effect isn't even worth $1.

I want to point out that many Magic 'investors' are people who would do horribly in the actual stock market. There's probably also a venn diagram of magic investors and bitcoin users and it's basically almost 2 overlapping circles.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
You guys could make a lot more money by trading equities. Also equities aren't magical cardboard game pieces and they don't require you to physically mail them to someone to get money out.

That said, it's kind of absurd how MTG lands have only skyrocketed, and I really hope they print a ton of fetchlands and ruin SCG.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Promoted Pawn posted:

I know this, but I know more about wizard poker paper rectangles than any real investment so I just play and trade this as a hobby. Plus I don't have the bankroll to do anything with serious investments besides buy-and-hold without getting eaten alive by fees, and that's what my 401(k) is for.

If you have any pointers for getting started though, fire away.

A lot of brokerage places have reasonable fees, provided you only need spartan tools. E*Trade is $10, Schwab is $9, Scottrade is $7, Tradeking is $5...

I mean, I casually trade magic for fun too, but it's largely only for deck parts I need, rather than as a purely investment angle.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Gift of immortality works on any mid-sized annoying threat.

I'm surprised no-one has stuck it on a boros reckoner yet.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
I don't think Wizards will really want to make half of their customers feel unwelcome.

That said, I only show up to FNMs in my finest trench coats and top hats.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Starke of Rath for best EDH commander 2014.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Since DRS got banned in modern is he possibly going to hold any value after rotation? He went from $15 to $10 after the ban but he's holding decently at that value. Not a bad edh card either I guess.

Put like 90% of your net worth into DRS, it's a legacy machine.

Take loans out on credit if you have to.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_basic_blue_with_henr.html

4x Counterspell

It's like it's 1999 and I'm watching Randy Buehler play, and loving it.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Crackatastic posted:

Well, I just woke up from hanging out with the SCG Seattle Legacy top 8- 6 of the 8 all play at the same LGS and we got a huge chunk of our players (15!) in the top 32.

I completely tanked the standard open, starting 4-1-1 before having the wheels fall off and ending 4-4-2 for 203rd. I was lucky enough, however, to be Andrew Shrout's test rat for his first deck tech with SCG, piloting skinwalkers, as you can See in the deck tech here- we were both quite nervous, but it went okay.

As for the legacy open, I told myself I wasn't going to go with P-Jund this time around, and was pretty set on showing up with RUG Delver, but I had been practicing Deathblade for the past couple weeks. In the end, I sleeved up Deathblade, and ended up playing some of the best magic I've ever played and finished at 7-2, good for 15th. I was primed for top 8 until I ran into one of the 2 manaless dredge players at the top tables (:stare:), but ended up dreamcrushing Ledbetter (The featured Alluren player) in the last round during my first feature match. It was pretty rough for him, though- he mulled to 5 game one, and I drew the near nuts game 2

In all, it was a pretty good weekend of magic for me :unsmith:

Also, for the record regarding Henry Romero- I've never had a good experience with him, whether it be me playing him or watching friends play him- He is quite the arrogant prick. I believe the DCI forced him to re-register as his initial registration him listed as H TO THE E TO THE N-R-Y ROMERO. No lie.

I'm assuming the LGS is CK? I should get back into CK's MNL things.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Proliferate seems like it takes much too long to get going. In modern if you're facing something combo-y like living end, through the breach, or something you'd be dead before you have enough power on board.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Nightveil specter is only good because of devotion though (and because nighthawk rotated). In a vacuum the Sphinx is much better on its own.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
The shuffling thing really annoys me because I feel like a lot of people do it because they see pros do it, who saw other pros do it.

There is no reason to shuffle them around your hand like that, especially if you have like, 2 cards.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

He's not even as good as a bunch of rats standing next to another bunch of rats.

Emrakul trades with 21 birds in combat.

edit: or 10 flying pack rats.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Bring back fireblast.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Here are my opinions, which will undoubtly turn out to be correct:

U/R Demigod is actually very very powerful and is totally underestimated. It's the rebirth of attrition decks in standard.
W/R Demigod isn't actually that good. W/R already wins the ground-game. Spending T4 casting this when you should be casting a second brimaz is dumb.
U/G Demigod isn't actually that good either. Omnath style only works because it's 3 mana and you can drop it turn 2. This thing is 2 color and costs 5.

Ajani is alright since his second ability can just gain you cards over time, but he's definitely a casual deck focused planeswalker and doesn't actually have any way of protecting himself.

Eidelon of the great revel is an interesting card, and I'd like to see a Jund-y midrange anti-aggro deck built around it. Burn, Decay, That dude, maybe some graveyard shenanigans.

Mulletstation fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 11, 2014

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Pharika is hilariously bad because you have to load your graveyard to get any use out of it. If only those were flying snakes :|

Flying Fatty is interesting. You can definitely trade in 5-10 damage for 1-2 cards. On the other hand, so many things kill it in the meta right now.

1/3 red double strike guy is really cool, and might be interesting for burn.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

AnacondaHL posted:

Burn in what format? Standard? No, that card isn't interesting at all.

Don't dismiss it so ezzay. Chandra is equally deceptively powerful.

Welp looks like I'm building RUG burn now with Worldspine finisher.

Erratic Explosion was one of my favorite decks ever.

Mulletstation fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 14, 2014

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Snacksmaniac posted:

SCG has Conspiracy single preorders up now (or did a while ago).
Dack Fayden is 60. :stare:

A lot of MTG pricing is because "people are stupid and someone will buy this at this price"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Dr. Stab posted:

Print it double sized.

Print it at 101% size.

• Locked thread