Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

McNutty posted:

I like Squee better than Norin only because Squee actually dies and then somehow fails to even stay dead like a normal person and just comes back like a lost cat.

I like to think of him as Droopy Dog, where you lock him in a safe with dynamite then drop it into a volcano. You turn around and he's standing right there.

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't even know what to name the next thread, we're all out of editions! "Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Magic 2011 Edition" sounds weird in 2014, doesn't it? And we can't use the naming scheme of the following year (like naming this one Magic 2015 edition) because there needs to be more than one thread per year.

"Thread10" is close enough to "M10" right?

I also love Root Greevil. Because it's the root of all greevils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Went 2-0-intentional draw at FNM tonight with after P1P1 Kiora and P3P1 Sylvan Caryatid. I just forced simic the entire way, splashed white for glimpse the sun god (wasn't ever relevant). I put my shields down in my first match against a selesnya deck with T2 caryatid, T3 Kiora, pray to god they don't have a Mistcutter Hydra. He didn't, and I resolved the ultimate. Did it one other time tonight. :krakken:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I think the BotG event deck is a good place to start, actually. Swap out some of the chaff for some burn, $2 rares, and madcap skills and you get rakdos aggro, or add in Grey Merchants to play a slightly longer game.

Edit: that being said, MURDERGOATS really is this forum's pet deck. People will talk about their builds all day round these parts.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 12, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Odds are pretty good that you can improve any of those decks with the addition of some money. It's a bit of a toss up whether those cards would hit the price point you're looking for, but since they're generally running sub-optimal cards, simply slowing subbing in the optimal ones gives the deck a growth curve.

This is actually what I'm planning with my GR monsters - use fanatic of Xenagos or Boon Satyr over Courser of Kruphix and Forgestoker over Stormbreath. Those are really big downgrades, but it at least lets me put a deck together if I want to run it at FNM.

The deck is very questionable without Domri, though, and I have zero of four. :(

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm blanking - do we know the name of the Orzhov god? I feel like it has to be somewhere, but darn if I can think of it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

You're literally insane if you think this is going to happen.

TNN in every multiplayer set forever would be pretty funny though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Vomax posted:

Garruk, uh, ain't looking so hot... :geno:

I'm guessing M15 picks up with Garruk the Veil-Cursed, although we probably won't get DFCs in the core set.

Fluff question about Nissa, since I wasn't around for RoE. Is she just supposed to be really stupid? The MTGsalvation wiki says that instead of reinforcing the hedrons, and broke them and released the Eldrazi because she thought they would run away for some reason. Was that better explained ever? Because a one sentence description makes it sound like maybe the dumbest thing any hero in MTG history has done.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Music For Cats posted:

Not if sacrificing is a cost, and costs are everything before the colon on the card text.

For the example, trading Post's fourth ability is "1, T, Sacrifice an artifact: Draw a card." so anything before the colon happens before the ability "Draw a card." goes on the stack. Your ratchet bomb would be in the graveyard before you have an opportunity to respond to the "Draw a card."

Actually, on this point - I've just picked up the bombs and haven't really played with them yet. When the sac cost is paid, does it immediately go into the graveyard? That is, can I crack a ratchet bomb set to zero (say, to kill some wave tokens), then with that effect on the stack, sac one of my own elementals/goats/soldiers to recur it back to my hand?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

I sold a playset of Brimaz and 10 tokens for $162 on ebay this weekend. Seems like a great deal considering the TCG going rate.

Out of curiosity, do different tokens have different rarities? Or is the wave elemental token being .75 and the Voice token being $4 just a matter of how many packs of THS have been opened compared to DGM?

JerryLee posted:

Fair enough, I should have spoken more generally of a Modern Masters-like product. Unless they also said specifically that this one wet fart (in terms of supply) was all the injection that Modern staples were getting, ever, in which case I guess I can go ahead and rip the bandaid off my hopes.

Part of that is that they wanted MMA to be more than just a random collection of re-prints. While trying out boosting circulation outside of cards in Modern was obviously priority #1, I'm sure that more time went into figuring out the draft environment than went into figuring out which format staples should go in.

As an aside, it wouldn't terribly surprise me to find out that Conspiracy was, at least in part, inspired by testing at WotC showing that a set designed nearly from the start to be drafted was really fun.

EDIT: If you really don't get why significantly boosting supply in a secondary product could be a really bad thing, go re-read all the articles that were coming out when the counterfeits were scaring people. If WotC boosts 'goyf supply to the point where they can be had for even $50, retailers are going to take a massive hit on each one. My understanding is that a lot of game stores keep the lights on with supplies and singles rather than sealed product. Retailers are going to be real goddamned annoyed if Wizards decides to depreciate half their modern stock by 50% overnight.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 18, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Can we have a Token Masters then so I can get some tokens for weirder poo poo?

Throw in some classics like 0/1 black Serf, 1/1 red Survivor and 3/4 red/green Stangg Twin, and call it a set.

Custom tokens for life.

I just printed off Soulja Boy tokens for use with my Akroan Horses.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Zoness posted:

What about Urza :can: (or Mishra or Volrath or Gerrard Capashen).

Urza's probably quite dead but if they don't bring back some of the Weatherlight cast for the inevitable multi-plane war with Phyrexia block, I think it'll be a missed opportunity.

Compleated zombie Gerrard. :black101:

EDIT: the RoE lands are really cool.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Over in the SCG open, someone playing in their first feature match has forgotten important things like ticking Jace AOT up and drawing off his Bident. It's a competitive event and his opponent (Chris Vanmeter) is correctly enforcing rules, but I can completely see myself making these mistakes in his place. I would just want to crawl into a corner afterward.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning up play besides just slowing down? Not "making optimal choices" but actually "not being stupid."

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Kai Budde drops an f-bomb that the camera mics pick up, booth gets awkwardly silent.

Magic. :allears:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

What a Judas posted:

It's Lich, the most flavorful card in the game.

Has anyone at Wizards ever acknowledged cards like this and Form of the Dragon? It seems like they'd be really popular with casuals, and frankly, they're so cool I'm shocked they don't get printed more often.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

JerryLee posted:

What do you mean by acknowledged? They've talked about them as examples of good top-down design. There have been other Lich cards playing off the same ideas, including at least one as recent as Alara block. Anything in particular you're looking for?

I agree, it'd be cool to have more "literally turns your game wizard self into a monster" things.

Just this, really. There are plenty of interesting cards that don't get spotlighted; acknowledging them makes me think maybe we can get more one day.

Maybe Huey block focuses on them. :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

whydirt posted:

The only appropriate response to second place at a Magic tournament is ritual suicide.

Add [B][B][B] to your mana pool.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

jhorphear posted:

Just started up playing competitive again and got trounced at FNM on firday. Most everyone there is playing R/G or R/W. My mazes end deck is just too slow/janky to really be effective. Any thought on what deck would give me my best matchups? Would a fast agro deck ( rdw, burn, sligh ) give me a better matchup? I don't quite want to dump $300 on a tier 1 deck right now, but its looking like I may just have to do it.

We have a deck building thread, so post your list in there with the caveat that you're not too interested in blowing a ton of money, and I'm sure people will help you out.

Budget options these days are Rakdos aggro (this can use the Born event deck as a good base, if you have literally none of the cards for it) and goon darling MURDERGOATS, which will set you back probably about $100, less if you skimp on the manabase.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

I'm excited for the few weeks before everyone realizes that Courser of Kruphix is a expend-all-resource, "kill on sight" threat on par with a Planeswalker.

It's interesting that the two GR monster decks that placed higher at the open actually used other 3 drops instead. I think there are good arguments to be made for fanatic and boon satyr, but some non-zero number of coursers seems right.

I realize that commerce chat is very speculative, but what do people think the high is on a non-splashable, very good rare, if courser turns out to have legs?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 24, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Death Bot posted:

On a similar note I'm curious what their plan for Legacy is. As the game continues growing we're going to see more and more people wanting to buy an already small number of dual lands, and I can't imagine the format keeps thriving when mana bases reach 5k by themselves.

I think their plan for legacy is "continue to push modern." It's very, very obvious their hands are tied by the reserve list, and last I heard, official support for legacy tournaments is barely a trickle. I think they're perfectly happy letting SCG deal with that entire thing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

What a Judas posted:

Sorry, but he's right. Let's not promote the sleazy slut alters.

These are my favorite alters I've acquired in the last few years. Especially the last one. Does anyone know why that last one is the most important one?

That Phyrexian Mana Sol Ring owns.

Last one is obviously a leak from Planar Chaos II - Karn, Father of Machines.

EDIT: Also that Top is hilarious. The original art is just this boring old top sitting on a table and the alter is like FIRE LIGHTNING WHIZ BAAAAAANG

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think, on a perhaps related note, Wizards is really running out of ideas for set symbols

I've always wondered about the design space for that. On one hand, you have to think its pretty massive since we're just talking about a tiny picture, but on the other, MaRo's made reference to the space for names feeling cramped. And Journey Into Nyx and DGM both use "take the first two sets, mash them into each other" for their symbols.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Emerson Cod posted:

How much does everyone's LGS charge for draft? Mine does $12 with prize support of usually a pack per head. They do pretty good business in singles and other games, so I guess they've decided that it's a reasonable price point. I couldn't see any store charging more than $15, though.

$15 and 1.5 packs/person, I believe. Not the greatest prize support in the world, but the clientele is solid.

Last night was my LGS' semi-annual customer appreciation night, though. $20 for a draft, but everyone gets a cheap deck box, a pack of ultra pro matte sleeves, and a door prize. Door prizes ranged a bit, but people got sealed commander 2013 decks (including mind seize!), the NPH and M13 event decks, Izzet v. Golgari duel decks. I got 6 packs of Spanish DGM and pulled a progenitor mimic, a godless shrine and a temple garden. So shout outs to Wizard Wagon in St. Louis.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Deschamps' art is sweet: take that back. Look at that detail on the tridents and his skin, and the use of colour.

It bothers the hell out of me that WotC doesn't make high-quality versions of art readily available. I get they like to leak out wallpapers, but even something like 800x600 would be awesome for more intricate cards.

Alternatively, if I'm wrong, it bothers me that WotC doesn't make it more obvious where to get high-quality versions of art. :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

toadee posted:

If it's not played in Modern, Legacy, or possibly EDH, it will tank.

I have very little perspective on modern and am passingly curious about the only RTR-block card I've spent a lot of money on - does Domri get much play in modern? Seems like he's fine in Jund/Naya, but like I said, I really know gently caress all about the format.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Stinky Pit posted:

Not enough to sustain his current price. Sell him now, pocket the profits and when he rotates pick him up if you want for Modern at less than you sold him for.

EDIT: You can do this a lot. You don't have to go deep buying 100 copies of some rare and hope it blows up. You just have to be willing to do what many players aren't. Deal with not having a particular staple for a few months. Just that alone will net you enough money to make your Magic hobby way cheaper if not pay for itself.

Oh, I definitely know he isn't a $30 modern card. I use the card in standard, so he's worth a lot more than list price to me, and I feel like losing value on rotation is just a cost of the format until you develop a large enough card pool to trade around price fluctuations. I was just curious if anyone had any educated guesses on how much, if any, retained value will be there.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should I be looking to move my Shocklands any time soon, or at least the ones I'm not using? I figure their price will dip at rotation as a lot come onto the market, but I don't know what will happen over time, when all these cards are only wanted for Modern.

Brainstorm brewery just talked about this this week. They seemed to think that values probably won't fall a ton because everyone is expecting value to fall, so people buying into the normal rotation sell-out will balance the price. Their precedent for this includes snapcaster and LOTV.

Personally, I'm probably going to get my playset of shocks by rotation, cost be damned, even for colors I have no present intention of playing. WotC is going to keep pushing modern, and as long as that happens, shocklands will trend up.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm enjoying the commentary on Yu being a complete lunatic for playing 3 hawks. "You don't know what he's going to do! He may play choke, he may reach across the table and choke you!"

Boco_T posted:

Haha yeah the tweet from MTG Pro Tour says there's an ALL FOIL Battle of Wits deck out there.

If this doesn't show up on stream I'll consider the GP a failure.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Boxn posted:

Don't worry about it, it's great to see the correct way of pronouncing things. Linguistics and a great grasp of a language is powerful, I wouldn't mind seeing you sperg out more about the correct pronunciation, since it irritates me too how people mispronounce cards (especially Pithing, Melira, Jitte, etc :argh: )

Wait, pithing and jitte are actual words. How did Melira end up in that list? I thought it was a made up fantasy name.

suicidesteve posted:

Just call him Many Heads.

How do you pronounce Xenagos? I've always said zen-AH-ghos.

I say ZEN-uh-ghos.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Chapin freaking the hell out seeing Dickmann's topdeck(s, ish) to steal that game back - pretty entertaining.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Lightning Bolt to the dome against Twin! It's like you're getting out of church with your family and some dude just walks up and smacks your kid!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

oryx posted:

Watching some of the replay and Hunt said, "Jitaxian Probe." Please tell me this is not how it is pronounced.

Phyrexian names cannot be properly spoken by our imperfect flesh. Any pronunciation we hear is wrong. :black101:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

"Grand Prix Richmond Champion Brian Liu used Shatterstorm. It's super effective!"

Chapin for commentary for life.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Do we know why the Shocklands randomly got typed and not any other duals (besides the originals)? Was it something mechanical in Original Ravnica block? I was basically paying a minimum of attention to the game at that point.

EDIT: Also what's that Ark42 replacement? The price visualizer broken down by set.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

What is it with new/bad players and mill, anyway? I don't think I've ever seen a bad player that wasn't really enthusiastic about their mill deck. Is it just that alternate win conditions somehow tickle the fancy of questionable players?

Also, full disclosure - I remember being so goddamned excited the first time I saw grindstone.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

vOv posted:

It's partly that it's an alternate wincon, partly because instinctively you think that mill is also going to make it harder for them to draw their own win condition (even though it doesn't actually work out that way; unless they're stacking, mill doesn't affect the odds of them drawing their win condition).

This makes sense. Combine still learning the ropes with a poor understanding of statistics, you get mill.

Also, just to be clear, I'm saying that new/bad players seem to love mill, not necessarily that all mill players are bad/new. Wasn't trying to insult the third of the thread that's rocking Phenax or whatever. :shobon:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Green/White is the usual combination for that. I know Eidolon of Countless Battles helps, but removal fucks you up real good with that sort of deck. Hexproof solves that problem.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Speaking of the fluff behind the game, I have no idea what to think of this article about the political intrigue happening in "Ravnica."

It's sorta clever - at the very least, it got me to go back and re-read it. But maybe I'm just really slow?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

I think they will drop...will they be $1-2? No. But, I think they will drop down to around $5 before they go back up as we get further and further from the rotation.

My money is on bottoming out at closer to $7-8. I've said it before, but I think the shocks will be strongly bouyed on rotation by the legions of people waiting on the drop to pick up their playsets.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

They are pretty much there now. You don't think they will drop another $1-1.50 in 5 months? I bet they drop another $1 at least until people see what are going to be available in the next set.

Sorry, I was referencing TCG mid prices (which I suppose few people round here pay.) Those range from 8 (for steam vents) to 12 (for sacred foundry).

Dropping 1-1.5 from current prices puts most shocks in that 7-8 range. I think we actually agree is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Stinky, I have to ask...what are you selling the temples for? :v:

• Locked thread