Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

I'm farming One With Nothing. Got 9 signed ones and an artist's proof from Jim Nelson with a wizard drawn on the white back, and a couple hundred plain. Oddly, no foils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Good ol' Psychatog! More tournament cards need to have a smile while wrecking tables. It may not seem much now, but there was a time when this card was notorious as one of the best creatures of all time and was played in a wide variety of control decks.
I love my Ed Beard-altered Dr. Teeth more than any other card in my collection:

CHEFATOG!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

carborexic posted:

Is there any particular reason why they cut back on using quotations from Shakespeare, Coleridge, Poe, Keats, Plato, even the New Testament and the Qu'ran, and so forth, as flavor text? It's a real shame. Most of the recent flavor text is either unattributed, or ascribed to a planeswalker or some similarly trite person from the storyline. I know I can't be the only one to still remember the flavor text on cards like Phantom Monster, Giant Strength and Winter Blast.

No mixing the real world with the flavor world. They do still pull from real-world stuff in the core sets, M14 Pay No Heed is King Lear, for example.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 7, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheLoser posted:

Got my BNG fat pack today and opened two gods. :dance:

They were Karametra and Ephara :negative:

They're not terrible, all things considered, but they just don't seem as deliciously fun as Mogis or Xenagos.
Karametra might be the worst-conceived god from a design standpoint. Oh, you've got 5 mana? Let's get you some land ramp! :fuckoff: I can think of at least three better things to do in GW. Even "gain 5 life" would be more useful.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

St0rmD posted:

This dates when I started playing, but my favorite card artist has always been Quinton Hoover.

And now he's dead. You killed him with your love, St0rmD

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mehall posted:

I'm not sure how much play it actually saw, but I know there were people who used Book Burning targeting themselves to get instant threshold.

But if the other player doesn't have a Book Burning in their collection, they take six! :laugh:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

a dozen swans posted:

From Runed Halo's rulings:

Given the "each object", I think this is a non-starter. It would be amazing if it worked, though.

e: you can't even name 'Jack', because the comprehensive rules say only Magic cards count as "cards" according to the rules.

You could name Gus though :getin:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I'd be surprised if they reprinted Wasteland since it doesn't fit their theme of "the most brutal cards ever unleashed"
Watch it be Strip Mine

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

qbert posted:

My favorite way of determining who goes first is pulling out Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger, and Scissors Lizard and shuffling them facedown and letting my opponent pick his card and mine.

This is what I do, everyone loves me. Do this.

Bonus, these cards are 50c each, but I've traded them as a set to people for lots more than $1.50 in trade.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bhsman posted:

Yeah, Rakdos Aggro can be really, really cheap but you're going to have to invest in the Dreadbore/Mortars/Downfall trio if you find that Doom Blade and Exava aren't enough. Same with MURDERGOATS.dec.

I put together Rakdos Humanggro and I just can't understand Exava's role. She's a 4/4 Haster for 4, sure, but is that enough? I keep coming back to Cryptborn Horror as an alternative, because dropping him on 4 and also firing off a Thoughtseize to take their board-wipe or big green dude seems good.

What am I missing about her? That she makes future Rakdos Cacklers into Goblin Guides? I thought she was the top of the curve.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

knowonecanknow posted:

Got a question I'm hoping to get resolved. If I play a Gray Merchant of Asphodel is there any way for my opponent to block the damage done by the card as it enters the battlefield, can you cast an instant against it before it finishes "entering the battlefield"?
Cyclonic Rift will effectively counter (most of) the ability:

1) Cast Grey Merchant
2) Response: Rift Overloaded
3) Grey Merchant resolves, sees a total of BB on the board (himself)
4) Drains for 2 instead of lethal.

You can also (if this is outside of standard) use Voidslime or Stifle to counter the ability

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CountFosco posted:

I guess now isn't the best time to start playing that burn deck I've been planning...

True story, couple friends were playing a casual game, one idiot gets off an infinite life combo, I helpfully explain that he does need to pick a number. Guy settles on 69,000,000 (because inside we're all still 13).

Opponent shrugs, declines to concede when asked, then untaps, plays Malignus, swings and connects for 34,500,000 damage, then Flings Malignus for the win.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What a Judas posted:

Calm down, guys. They aren't going to let you swap ownership of cards. Ever.

Ahem :colbert:

EDIT: Oh, piffle. Tempest Efreet then.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 14, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

There are sixty-five new cards in Conspiracy. Fifty-two of the new cards will be legal in Legacy and Vintage; thirteen cards will not.
Bronze Tablet reprint incoming

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What the gently caress happened to Archangel of Thune? It just popped to pre-order prices again after safely settling at "casual-bait $17"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What a Judas posted:

Right, but unless they're going to simply add 13 card names to the banned list for Legacy and Vintage, they're going to make those cards distinct in some way.

Maybe they're just going to add 13 card names to the banned lists.

Green expansion symbols.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Smashing Link posted:

Do you guys have some way of monitoring big value changes automatically or just look at individual cards on tcgplayer?

MTGPrice has an automated email program you can sign up for and get updates when a big swing happens. Doesn't let you get in since it's time-delayed, but knowing when something you have lying around just jumped to sell into the rush can help you get in on the feeding frenzy before people realize Disrupting Shoal isn't actually a $16 card.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OssiansFolly posted:

Because after FNM I want to go drinking...if I spend an over all 3 minutes per game writing down hands and play 3 games per match at 5 matches in a night I am effectively losing the equivalent of 2 beers being drunk or 45 minutes...and that isn't including my opponent. It speeds things up for everyone involved. It isn't a matter of being lazy...it is a matter of convenience. Everyone seems to confuse and combine the two concepts.

The loving UW Mirror will go to turns anyway, who cares if your match ends in 38 or 35 minutes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Rares in in-print sets have to do a LOT of work to be worth more than a dollar or two. Consider Detention Sphere: http://magiccards.info/rtr/en/155.html A format role-player and barely $2.
There's also the little fact that it's a 2-of in the Event Deck with Jace III next month.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

Soooo, phonechat aside, one of my friends brought up an interesting idea about new lands to print. Would legendary dual lands (as in, identical to the originals except legendary) be in violation of the spirit of the reserve list or too destabilizing to modern? It seems like a pretty nice inclusion to ease the manabase price of old formats a little bit.

That was the early thinking on the Theros duals, but it's a bad idea because it would in fact destabilize the gently caress out of modern (and standard).

You'd have to go supplemental and legacy-only to make them helpful, which brings its own bugbears about print runs.

The real answer is Snow Land - Island Swamp :getin:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

But they're not obligated to print Onslaught and Zendikar fetches at the same time, are they?

Someone (at WotC) said they don't want to split up "friendly" and "enemy" colored lands between coreset/expansion (like the checklands in Innistrad and M12-M13), so mana is gonna more like RtR and Theros, with 10 lands split up 4-3-3 going forward. This means core sets will have even less worthwhile cards, as their lands will be "a lovely common fixer (Terramorphic Expanse or Uncharted Shores)", "a lovely uncommon hoser (Encroaching Wastes)" and "a rare of dubious quality (Mutavault this year, but maybe something like Reliquary Tower in the future)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

What retailer do you guys find has the best buylist prices?
Card Kingdom bases their buylist off their sell list, which is astronomically inflated, and pays a 30% premium if you trade for credit. For instance, I just dumped Sphinx's Revelations on them for $19.50 store credit each.

Normally this would be bad, as they want like $8 for the R/B scryland, but since I live in Seattle, I can just walk in and spend that credit on tournament entry and beer at the attached Cafe Mox.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boxn posted:

I agree - I've watched his videos before, and he just acts in a very arrogant manner, which pisses me off because most archetypes I want to watch on Youtube are done by him, not a lot of people do good videos with interesting decks.

Back when he played in my shop, Frank was the guy who'd take whatever meme of the week was trending ("Badger badger badger") and just run it into the loving ground. It's funny once, but he was like a living 9gag page.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I once saw a playset of identically-miscut Accumulated Knowledge for sale in a dealer's case for $600. Over 20% of the card was Seal of Fire. It was exactly the sort of thing that made me really glad I didn't have $600 to spend on wizard poker.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What a Judas posted:

That's terribly overpriced for a card that doesn't see any play anymore, and when it was the nuts miscuts were still considered errors nobody wanted.

But yeah. Miscuts can get dumb. I have a $300-$500 Revised Plains and several $50 basics, nevermind the really crazy poo poo.

It was the fact that it was a complete playset of identical miscuts. And this was ~2003, when AK was still a thing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I thought Karn turned out to be the Mirari or something? The Mirrodin (first time around) books were really, really bad.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

If you think the new border is better than the old border you are not only wrong, but also blind. Next people will be saying artifacts should have a silver frame instead of a brown one and that that newfangled tap symbol is actually better than spelling out the words.

:smug: When I pay Demonic Hordes ' upkeep, I pay with BBB, instead of

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

whydirt posted:

Look at this scrub forgetting about continuous artifacts. I'm still mad that Howling Mine was the only one given errata to turn off while tapped.
I just discovered last week that Trinisphere does the same thing, despite being the only artifact to do so, after years and years of doing away with the rules behind Continuous Artifacts.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cactrot posted:

Edit: does not look as cool as I remember.
old_frames.txt

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LeafHouse posted:

Ahahahaha I've never seen this card before. God drat that is some hilarious art.

Don't laugh, hypercephaly is a real disease that thousands of elven children suffer with.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

^ ^ Cinara we are now enemies. I am planeswalking away from you

Count Bleck posted:

Here's a question for you

Are foil cards capable of having the foil taken off, leaving that deliciously gray underfoil?

And if so, is that a legal alter of a card?

SOP is to use nail polish remover to take the art off the card leaving just the foil behind, then print out a new card on transparency. This destroys the card, but makes your cube look awesome :getin:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

vOv posted:

Do you have a link to these? I'm curious what they look like.

Step by step

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 20, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

His Meowjesty
I can't decide if I hate you or love you now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'd like to be ahead of any price spikes, frankly.
Some guy upthread who owns a bunch of Vengevines was trying to stir up rumors that Vengevine decks are back.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, but I wouldn't have thought Twin (I mistyped Living End in my post) wanted a 2 mana beater. I guess I need to see the deck in action.
The dirty secret about why Twin (and Pod) are so good is that at the drop of a hat, they can just turn into midrange aggro decks that are generally unfun to interact with, because they can still just go off out of nowhere.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jhorphear posted:

So many new listings for Tereri on ebay, lol

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...cat=0&_from=R40

Did I miss what deck he's showing up in? Is he just a weak Splinter Twin counter?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Loving Life Partner posted:

How can I shove Assemble The Legion into MURDERGOATS, I'm so god damned greedy. It's just that one white mana symbol :negative:

Prophetic Prism cantrips, filters and sacrifices to Trading post v:shobon:v

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

What specifically bugs you about it?

Generally it's the fact that Pod has about 12 paths to victory open to it at any time, and has to make a lot of decisions before it actually goes off. So a lot of "vs-Pod" matchups end up with you staring at them while they think for a good minute, then either they Chord of Calling for Melira and pod into Finks and go off, or say go, you shrug, untap and kill them with your next swing.

It's not so much that it isn't interactive, as it's intensely interactive, but only between the pod player and their deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Korak posted:

Is there any reason you would want threads vs shackles if you plan to go long? Shackles seems more resilient and flexible, at the cost of costing a little bit more mana to use properly.

The deck plays Master of Waves and it ups their Devotion by 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm excited for the few weeks before everyone realizes that Courser of Kruphix is a expend-all-resource, "kill on sight" threat on par with a Planeswalker.

• Locked thread