Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Inverse posted:

I bought out a collection from a coworker and karakas was among one of the cards, why is it worth so much? its banned in any format it could be useful in? (EDH)

To elaborate, it's a way of dealing with certain cards (Emrakul, Thalia, Gaddock Teeg, and at least part of Griselbrand) with a relatively low opportunity cost. It's pretty useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Inverse posted:

I bought out a collection from a coworker and karakas was among one of the cards, why is it worth so much? its banned in any format it could be useful in? (EDH)

Legal in Legacy and deals with Dark Depths decks.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Well then I dont play legacy and don't know anyone who does time to find a buyer!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The coolest thing about MODO, other than everything, is they're running a bunch of Pro Tour Qualifier Qualifiers to avoid maybe loving up one large tournament they're just going to have a whole bunch of still pretty big tournaments to possibly gently caress up.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Potentially dumb questions relating to landchat a few pages back.

Will people get pissy if I throw Unglued or old land cards into a Standard deck?

Oh, also, how far back can you go for cards to include in a Commander deck? Is anything restricted?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Alris posted:

Will people get pissy if I throw Unglued or old land cards into a Standard deck?

Oh, also, how far back can you go for cards to include in a Commander deck? Is anything restricted?

You can throw any basic lands you want into your Standard deck. People try to bling out their decks all the time this way.

There is an official Commander ban list HERE under deck construction. Note that any card banned in Vintage is also banned in Commander in addition to that list.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Alris posted:

No, thats why unhinged and unglued basics are black bordered. Any edition of basic land is legal in any format.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

L0cke17 posted:

I think this is her best magic art personally. Although I like most of the things she has done.

I bought one of her signed prints of this off her website after polling my non magic friends of which of her arts from her website would look the best. It looks really spiffy on my wall framed.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ChewyLSB posted:

I bought one of her signed prints of this off her website after polling my non magic friends of which of her arts from her website would look the best. It looks really spiffy on my wall framed.

I wanted to do that, but bought fetches instead because I couldn't justify it just to look at.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

L0cke17 posted:

I wanted to do that, but bought fetches instead because I couldn't justify it just to look at.

It's not like prints are that expensive. You can afford both.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What a Judas posted:

It's not like prints are that expensive. You can afford both.

I also wanted the bigger of the prints, which she wanted $100 for. I don't have a wall that is safe for pictures that I can put up something that small at the moment and still see it well. (I live in a terrible apartment while I finish my degree with 3 other roommates in a 2 bedroom apartment)

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

ChewyLSB posted:

This post made me go look up what prints she has for sale, which reminded me that this art exists and owns and was sadly wasted on a junk card:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

I also wanted the bigger of the prints, which she wanted $100 for. I don't have a wall that is safe for pictures that I can put up something that small at the moment and still see it well. (I live in a terrible apartment while I finish my degree with 3 other roommates in a 2 bedroom apartment)

That's fair. Sorry about your walls.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Nibble posted:

This post made me go look up what prints she has for sale, which reminded me that this art exists and owns and was sadly wasted on a junk card:

Jeez that is a beautiful picture. I love the magnification/xray in the corner.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The good thing about style guides is that the art is that the bad art is never too bad. Even the failures have a certain minimum.

I mean, when we talk about wanting old art styles back I don't think anyone means Freyalise's Charm.

Ahahahaha I've never seen this card before. God drat that is some hilarious art.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LeafHouse posted:

Ahahahaha I've never seen this card before. God drat that is some hilarious art.

Don't laugh, hypercephaly is a real disease that thousands of elven children suffer with.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I don't need much excuse to post this but :allears:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

LeafHouse posted:

I have a copy of that card...and I've laughed a few times as I flip through my binders and see it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kabanaw posted:

But it doesn't look BAD at scale. It looks fine at scale, at least not any worse than most old magic art at scale. Phalanx Leader is a good looking piece of art on a card, but if you look at a high res version of it you can see the paint strokes. My point was that if you look closely at the art it's not just some homogenized mediocre art slapped onto cards so that they have cohesiveness, there's still a lot of quality compositions on Magic cards.

Gild looks bad at whatever scale you can think of.

edit: until someone makes their own card alter and calls in "Geld" for the puns

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 20, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

GoutPatrol posted:

Gild looks bad at whatever scale you can think of.

edit: until someone makes their own card alter and calls in "Geld" for the puns

Well, yeah, there are always going to be pieces of art that come out bad. There's no stopping that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kabanaw posted:

Well, yeah, there are always going to be pieces of art that come out bad. There's no stopping that.

We're completely forgetting it's done by Richard Wright, who is destroying art one horrid render at a time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

We're completely forgetting it's done by Richard Wright, who is destroying art one horrid render at a time.

Merciless Eviction was badass so I don't know why he decided to be terrible for Gild.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Count Bleck posted:

His stuff is so hit or miss. Elderscale Wurm and Merciless Eviction are great, but so much of his stuff is subpar.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Richard Wright did my favorite Time Spiral Island art!

Maybe I have terrible taste :negative:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 20, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I think some of his Ravnica lands were pretty good. v:shobon:v

Forgestoker Dragon also looks really lousy. I wonder what happened with this set.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Zoness posted:

Richard Wright did my favorite Time Spiral Island art!

Maybe I have terrible taste :negative:.

His poo poo works for Ravnican lands. It's when he starts doing things that aren't, you know, buildings, it gets really noticeable.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Vengevine is going if anyone wants in.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm seriously considering building BWR Minotaurs just so I can live the Ragemonger Ragemonger Ragemonger Triple Reckoner For Free Dream.

But this requires Godless Shrines which I have one of.

What do you guys think are the big winner Minotaurs? I've got Reckoner, Skullcleaver, Ragemonger, Rageblood, and Oracle of Bones so far.

Spiritbinder might be cool because I can make Skullcleavers that are essentially 4 to the face, but I don't know about Oracle of Bones.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Probably my favorite Green card I don't own, this is kind of a shame because I have no money to tank on a playset. :sigh:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Jumped on a GP set.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So I have looking on some different sites where the modern event deck is being sold at pre-order and everywhere I saw is sold out already. Am I too late to try and find one at MSRP? I want to try and get into the format, if only rather casually. (Preferably a EU site.)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Meanwhile, less than two weeks after Born came out...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Meanwhile, less than two weeks after Born came out...

I don't even know what you're trying to say here other than 3 stores have a single copy of Herald and are all under a dollar?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Count Bleck posted:

I don't even know what you're trying to say here other than 3 stores have a single copy of Herald and are all under a dollar?

I think he was referring to this

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

I believe this is in the backdrop of all the hype revolving around the card from reviewers before the set hit.

But really it's not like anything was going to be cut from Mono-B Devotion for it and nobody's actually running the card. As it turns out, the Bestow is pretty useless and the 3/3 body isn't that great either and it doesn't actually win races against Nightveil since it dings you too (and is even worse on defense because of this).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

I believe this is in the backdrop of all the hype revolving around the card from reviewers before the set hit.

But really it's not like anything was going to be cut from Mono-B Devotion for it and nobody's actually running the card.

It'll probably see play post rotation. Probably.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

It's possible, but Underworld Connections, Pack Rat, Desecration Demon, and Nightveil are out and those are pretty core to Mono-B's current build. Particularly the first two cards.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Count Bleck posted:

When was the last time the "Undercosted Black Duder with a drawback" actually saw play, anyways? I would say Geralf's Messenger, but that card's more upside than downside.. Death's Shadow in that Legacy Deck?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Niton posted:

When was the last time the "Undercosted Black Duder with a drawback" actually saw play, anyways? I would say Geralf's Messenger, but that card's more upside than downside.. Death's Shadow in that Legacy Deck?

Desecration Demon?

Yegor
Dec 21, 2007
In Gypsytown there are two rules. Number one: stay in car.
I put together and am going to be running MURDERHORSE at a local tournament this weekend and had a few questions for the deck veterans around here.

How necessary is it to have Tymaret/Purphoros in your opening hand/on curve? Can the deck function competently without the damage engines? I'm currently assuming you'd just chump block with tokens until you find the necessary cards.

What matchups are the sideboard Rakdos Charms for?

Any other helpful strategies and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Something else completely unrelated, what's a good bot for buying singles from most sets? I'm gonna be building an EDH deck for MTGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

MrBling posted:

Desecration Demon?

:doh: To be honest, he slipped my mind because I was looking lower. I remember him being talked about as "finally pushed enough", though.

• Locked thread