Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

So we all know Millstone was printed as an Uncommon in M14. What I personally didn't know was that Tenth Edition was the last time it was printed and it clocked in as a Rare. And it was a rare in all but one of its prior printings as well, all the way back to Revised. So if you ever have a chance to open a pack of Revised, just think! You could open a Volcanic Island! Or you could open a Millstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Lightning Bolt, but only white-bordered with the original art.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I ran a somewhat casual Izzet deck pre-BNG, here's a slightly more serious take I plan on putting together soonish with BNG cards. It plays the control role against aggro and can burn out control, but can stumble against midrange decks that drop fatties and turn them sideways. Overall it's a bit lower on the curve than Ramos's list.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I did not get to playtest much with him and I only had one in my deck but every time I drew him I was ecstatic. It's basically a reverse Guttersnipe, possibly even better if you're playing mostly burn spells.

edit: against creature-heavy decks, that is. Against control decks or if you're running counters and bounce spells it'll be less spectacular.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 13, 2014

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I really hope they print a card that lets you change ownership of cards midgame.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

JerryLee posted:

I have some bad news for you if you want to play anything with nonbasic lands in it. Trust me, you aren't spending Legacy money yet.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/9641 :v:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Only reason I know about Sac Land Tendrils is because it crushed Miracles in like 5 minutes on Joe Lossett's stream recently. It does have a 4-0 victory in a daily for what it's worth.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I use these lands in my Izzet deck:

Sometimes it backfires and I confuse myself which color of mana I'm tapping but man they look cool together.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Errata out all mana-producing abilities on nonbasics, errata all basics to have Landcycling 2. :getin:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Everyone knows Izzet Blitz is the spiritual successor to Storm in pauper.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Zorak posted:

So, they've announced what Clash Packs are:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1443

Makes sense they'd pair it with the core set.

Core set product meant to introduce new players AND teach them basic deckbuilding techniques? Sounds pretty sweet.

edit: holy crap I should refresh the thread next time.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 7, 2014

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

4300 players in attendence. If you figure each one of them is carrying a $500 modern deck that is over $2,000,000 in cardboard rectangles. :stare:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

All I know is that I, like the Greeks, enjoy turning dudes sideways. :v:

(for real though I like the language chat.)

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Matthias Hunt saying "made" instead of "cast" or "play" is driving me loving crazy.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Affinity player on camera at 12-2 gets a game and match loss because of missing a lifelink trigger on his own Vault Skirge. Bummer.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

So what you're saying is fetches will be reprinted after Landfall appears in the core set?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I demand to see that deck Notion Thief someone on camera.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/03142014/potogold

I really should know better by now but it is still so baffling to me that WotC/the MTGO online team will come up with a wacky and random time-limited event, make it phantom only, make the prize support be almost totally valueless, and still charge $10 per entry.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Notion Thiefing a Brainstorm effect and making your opponent put 2 back on their library is probably one of the most exquisite experiences you can have in magic and it makes me sad that I'll likely never have an opportunity to do it. :(

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Oh my god, this current game between Nic Fit and Elves is insane. Nic Fit plays Baneslayer Angel, drops elves player (Sam Black) to 6 and goes up to 27. Sam Black untaps, chains together 3 Glimpse of Nature, and now can't drop enough creatures to pump Craterhoof Behemoth high enough because he's close to decking himself. Black could have gone infinite by repeatedly casting GSZs for 0 to keep his library over 3 cards but he lost 2 of them to a Cabal Therapy.

edit: the Nic Fit player conceded because both players thought an Elvish Visionary that Sam cast that turn could attack with the Behemoth :psyduck:

Peepers fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 7, 2014

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Setting aside what Sam Black did for a moment, I don't understand Nic Fit popping the Deed in response to the first Glimpse. What was he worried about that he couldn't just wait until he saw something worth blowing up?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

I really like the versatility that one-armed minotaur bestow guy represents. It's a great one-drop, it can push through damage by pumping your best attacker or by taking out their best blocker. This is the kind of design space I wanted out of aura creatures. Now all I want is to see a bestow creature that's like a 2/5 with Defender or something.

My thought as well. The Bestow effect is definitely one of the most interesting they've printed so far.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's first instinct was to head over to magiccards.info and see what other Starfish creatures there were.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Can't wait to see Blightcaster become standard playable.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Keranos is pretty loving sweet if you can reliably draw during your opponent's turn. woops no it doesn't

Also not gonna lie, between that both-players-draw card from yesterday and the Dictate today, I just bought a playset of Notion Thiefs on MTGO.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Korak posted:

Ok interesting idea for Underworld Coinsmith... 4 of in sideboard of BW to come in to burn out control opponents? If they counter it, no big deal and if they don't you can start whittling them down.

If you're spending life on Thoughtseize and Connections and your opponent is gaining life Sphinx's Rev it probably wouldn't work.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

It doesn't even target, so it laughs off hexproof and shroud too.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Ajani combined with Domri and Courser means playing or drawing an additional 2-3 cards off your library every single turn. That seems pretty dang good.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Oh hey, the U/B Notion Thief/drown myself in cards deck I was thinking about making was looking for a good wincon.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

It mildly annoys me that Obsidian Acolyte, a completely innocuous creature from Invasion, is selling online for upwards of a ticket for absolutely no discernable reason.

I just want to make Pauper Pestilence, dammit. :qq:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

And I can never keep those Nephilim straight.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I could listen to Patrick Chapin and Patrick Sullivan talk about Manaless Dredge all day. :allears:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

The way Joe Lossett (Miracles player) punked the Manaless Dredge deck out of game one was glorious. Manaless Dredge Dread Returned Balustrade Spy and flipped his whole library into the graveyard. He immediately went to Dread Return back Flayer of the Hatebound using Narcomoebas. In response Miracles casually played a second Vendillion Clique, sending his first one to the graveyard and blowing up all the Bridge from Belows. Then Flayer of the Hatebound enters play, shoots Miracles for 2, then immediately gets exiled with a Swords. Manaless Dredge only has 1 creature in play and no Bridges so he passes turn, Miracles plays a land and passes, Manaless Dredge loses to getting decked.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

Perma-steal a Batterskull or Jitte is huge game. Even just having him down makes dropping either a no win situation. Even just having him in your list makes playing either dicey.

Carry Away is a card that exists and sees no play.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Bosushi! posted:

One of my friends is trying to get me to buy into online Pauper, and I've got to say, it looks really cool.

The beauty of online Pauper is that "buying in" costs like 2 tickets unless you're going out of your way to netdeck a Tier 1 list. I love Pauper because it is a really fun and amazingly cheap way to exercise some deckbuilding muscles and then actually see how the deck works out against other people, all in the space of a single afternoon.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Deckit posted:

I wanna do dirty things with Master of Feasts, Dictate of Kruphix and Notion Thief. :unsmigghh:

Don't forget Dakra Mystic and Whispering Madness!

Why yes, I have been thinking about this.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I can't be the only one mildly surprised slivers are sticking around after how utterly anemic their appearance in M14 turned out to be.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Just out of curiosity, would a 2/1 Prowess for R be playable in eternal format burn?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Gensuki posted:

Cool, but kinda bad for a mythic rare? Unless secretly the Sultai thing is taking extra turns, this seems like a worse version of Time warp, or a worse version of Stranglehold... How many extra turn effects would they have in one block? Have there even ever been 3?

I guess you could hold it up as the latter, then sac it to get the former?

The effect is aimed squarely at EDH players. Even as just a very occasional player of the format I can tell this is a card some people will want to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I missed a whole lot of magic until RTR block so all I know is generally what they've talked about leading up to to this block, i.e. dragons are all dead on Tarkir, Sarkhan is a crazy dragon dude with someone whispering sweet nothings in his ear, etc. Who is Ugin, where does Sorin come into this, how are the Eldrazi possibly involved? Is there some summary I can read somewhere?

edit: ^^^ well that explains a lot actually.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 31, 2014

• Locked thread