Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't even know what to name the next thread, we're all out of editions!

Magic: The Gathering: Arabian Nights: Juzam Djinn does not cost BB.

Then we work our way up to Theros block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The nice thing about Cogwork Librarian is that even if you never find anything to swap it back out with, you'll always end up playing a colorless hill giant. In most sets, a colorless 3/3 for 4 with an upside is typically uncommon.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Asscrack chat

jassi007 posted:

Maybe get Axe body spray to be a partner?

This is actually the best idea I've heard in this thread. There's more than enough market overlap between typical Axe users and Magic players that it would be a moneymaker for Axe and might convince a few of the unclean to put on deodorant before the event. As a MTGO I've only been to mostly FNMs for fun, are their typically corporate sponsors for GPs and huge events?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Sleep of Bronze posted:

2/5 stars, balancing a few good ideas and some basic work at keeping true to the existing character's personality against a lot of bad new stuff and prose which does dodge being unreadable, but not by much.

Just wanted to mention I appreciated your summary because I like knowing what happens in the MTGO universe, but only if I can get through it in 10 minutes or less as I do not have the patience to read the ebook. It lets you appreciate the art and flavor text on many cards a lot more. Hope you do the next one as well.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I think this is my favorite card so far. I haven't played a constructed deck since Scars/Innistrad standard so it's limited for me, but this guy is a:

1. Control Magic, +1/+1 and flying for 7.
2. Flying Men (makes a fine bestow target on its own or after the targets been killed)
3. A spectral flight for one of your guys to sail over the top.
4. 1 U devotion for whatever that's worth.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
If you Turn / Humble / Ovinize an animated mutavault - does it still have a creature type?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Niton posted:

The new Skullclamp art is just irredeemably terrible, good lord.

I actually like the new art, don't hate me please.

Kinda sucks that it's a mythic though, I'd hate to open as my mythic a card I got for like a ticket for my Kemba EDH.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I wouldn't be surprised if down the line we get W/B Elspeth, fresh from the underworld, possibly on a warpath for vengeance.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Just to echo, thanks for those summaries and the work you put in getting the illustrations together. Like, 5 stars, will read again. I hope you'll be able to do another set when the Khans of Tarkir books come out.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
If they wanted to make a thoughtsieze hoser it would have to be given legs or some utility other than hosing 1 spell that an opponent may or may not have. Having something that prevents you from discarding would also be counter to the new you make the card that's due out in the summer. Something like:

Priest of thoughtsieze for value, (1W)
Creature - Human Cleric, 2/2
If a spell or ability an opponent controls would cause you to discard another card, you may discard THIS and draw 2 cards.
Sac THIS: Draw 2 cards, use this ability only if a spell or ability an opponent controlled caused you to discard a card this turn.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bread Set Jettison posted:

"Oh yeah!" said Duck Faygo

If I remember correctly this art is from Innistrad right? Plane of broken windows.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'll be suspicious until I see it. Darksteel citadel feels like it's way to odd and complicated to be in a core set in isolation. Which leads me to believe that 1) it's not or 2) There's going to be some sort of artifact/land/indestructible theme in Tarkir.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Gynovore posted:

If you're the casual/fun sort, stay the gently caress away from MTGO, unless you enjoy being told what your sexual orientations is and what you did with your uncle last night.

Don't take this to heart, 90% of my MTGO games end with either no social interaction or at worst, a "gg". Maybe half of that last 10% is a sperglord either mad that they lost or telling you that your deck is jank.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
You've all got the wrong idea.

Steve the Resilient, 2R
Creature - Goblin
If Steve the Resilent and at least 2 other creatures would die during an opponents main phase, return Steve the Resilent to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
3/2

There, feel free to over extend RDW as 90% of your wrath situations are protected against.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

cheetah7071 posted:

When ~ dies, if at least two other creatures died this turn, return ~ to the battlefield.

Dosen't work because of any combat where 2 sets of creatures trade.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

jassi007 posted:

Monstrosity is like the Power Ranger mechanic. I just wanted to play a clip of Rita Skeeter screeching "MAKE MY MONSTER GROW!"

Come'on man...Rita Skeeter? I'll leave you to hang your head in shame while you edit that fix.

As for Theros block, 90% of the magic I play is draft. The other 10% is the occasional sealed, momir or commander. I actually really liked 3xTHS. I have memories of constantly ending up with more than 23 playables. Then Born of the Gods came along and I remeber disliking the draft format alot less. I could never get inspired to work, and tribute was full of boring creatures. Journey was a little better, but I think if those 2 mechanics had been cut and we just changed tribute into more monstrous guys, and cut inspired to add a few more constellation and devotion creatures, the format would have benefited greatly.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I always thought the flavor was inspired was something like:

Tapped creature = sleeping. Nyxborn is the land of dreams and come to mortals in their sleep, then they untap INSPIRED by the gods ready to kick rear end and take names. Some of the inspired cards looked good to me in the spoiler (forlorn psuedamma, sphinx's discple, phres band tromper/raiders) but they never played nearly as well as they looked.

Yea it's kind of a dumb mechanic and flavor, but not as bad as tribute which was worse in game play and flavor.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I don't want to sound culturally insensitive, and I know bushido is Japanese - but is it close enough that it could be a reprint mechanic and make sense in a central Asian setting? Since I don't ever expect a return to Kamigawa, this could be the closest chance to reprint it in a non-core setting.

Bushido is basically a better form of rampage/flanking, and I say this as someone who enjoyed flanking. It certainly feels like a "ruthlessness" mechanic.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Elyv posted:

It's still generally not worth a card in limited, Memnite was not a good card in limited unless you were playing a metalcraft deck because it doesn't do anything once the other guy plays a stupid bear.

Scars block limited had a lot of 1 toughness creatures in it (Blisterstick shaman was really good), so between metalcraft, having lots of equipment to suit him up and potential to trade - it wasn't that bad in limited. Not a high pick but I wouldn't be embarrassed to play it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ramos posted:

I really have no idea what to do with Aggressive Mining.

I think if Aggressive Mining is going to make it into standard, it's going to need a really efficient red looter to supplement it. It's pretty bad on its own. You're eventually just going to fill your hand with lands you can't play, and have less and less mana to be able to use all your new cards. I'd want something that lets me pitch those extra lands for value, or some effect that lets me cheat them into play.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Raid seems like it will play well, because Bloodthirst played well, and raid is almost the same thing. They could have just reused bloodthirst.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Hot Dog Hotline posted:

played my first draft on mtgo today. was doing well in an m15 8-4 style draft until I was notified that i'd run out of time and lost :(

I think everyone on this board timed out their first couple games on MTGO. Play a few drafts and you'll be finishing rounds with 15 minutes to spare. It comes easy with a little practice. You'll want to get acquainted with the F2 key as it functions as clicking OK. You may also want to adjust your stops.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Serum Visions is in a weird place where it's kind of a stupid card compared to preordain (what possible situation could you be in where you wouldn't to see 2 cards before you draw) but preordain is banned in modern and they'll never reprint a standard card that's banned in another format. They should have just made a new similar card, maybe scry 1 draw a card. Or a 2 mana scry 3 draw a card. Preordain at 2 mana instant speed would also have been cool.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I for one, welcome our new block formats, with the following concerns:

1. This format does nothing to increase availability of chase rares in small sets. Blood still gets (per draft) 3 months of 3 packs opened + 3 months of 2 packs opened, while Sweat gets 3 months of 1 pack opened. This is what I call the Jace, The Mind Sculptor issue (because as we all know, the biggest problem with Jace was that there weren't enough floating around).

2. I actually really liked having the core set around because it was a prime source of reprints that didn't really fit in anywhere else, and its actually pretty exciting to see multiple cards that you liked reprinted in the same set. Whether you liked Mutavault or not, having it show up in M15 was good for modern, and there is no other expert expansion it would have fit in since Lorwyn. Tribal was a thing in Innistrad but it would have been hard to flavor shoe-horn it in there.

3. Having a card be standard legal for 18 (15 for small?) months is a real kick in the balls. Not for me, because I play limited and haven't had a standard deck since Innistrad/Scars, but I can sympathize with someone trying to build a standard deck for 2 years now having that cut down even further.

4. Finally I hope Wizards reserves plans to keep the same world in tact for 2 blocks. Zendikar would have been awesome if it was 2 blocks of ZEN/WWK and then ROE/ROE2 with a connected world, storyline, and 1 or 2 connected mechanics.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Elyv posted:

I don't think a single thing in this post is correct.

In addition, I think Gatecrash gets a lot of undeserved flak. It was my favorite of the 3 RTR block formats and every guild was viable - except dimir...dimir just sucked.

Boros was overall the strongest, but a good orzhov control deck could shut it down easy with a couple basilica guards, then grind its way to victory 1 extort at a time. Bloodrush made aggressive gruul deadly turning half your creatures into combat tricks if needed, and it was easy to bluff. I could never get a good simic deck drafted myself, but I've lost to well curved out ones lots of times.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My guess is for "gently caress it, panoramas" because they work well with delve.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rinkles posted:

That's right, if you block a morph with your morph, and your opponent has less than five mana available, the other morph is not going to kill your morph and survive whether it's turned face up or not. If your opponent has five or more mana available, then all bets are off. This is something that will be very useful to you in the early stages of your first Khans of Tarkir Limited matches.

I take it to mean we are getting morph walls. Since M14 had a bunch of defenders, I'm surprised we haven't had any spoiled yet, unless defenders are going to be a theme in the 2nd or 3rd set of the block.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
This is a fun card I guess that will be the ultimate limited beater. Here's how the design discussion went:

How many random, non synergistic abilities should we slap on this guy to make him feel mythic?
3? Not enough
5? too much text
4 it is.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Entropic posted:

Is there ever a situation where you want to do 2 damage to a creature at instant speed but don't want to tap a creature, or vice-versa?

You and your opponent are both at 2 life. You have a 2/2 creature out and your opponent only has a Boros Reckoner on the board...bam! Tap that poo poo down, that's game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

And that's the story of how the Magic community's baby was discarded in the bathroom waste bin on prom night.

Hopefully in the next set, wizards will at least give the casual crowd something that it can work with.

• Locked thread