Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Where can we see the decklists being played right now? I want to see Brad Nelsons list and compare it to what I posted in the deckbrew thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah what happened to mana floating? When I quit the first time back in the day you could float mana all the way through til the end of your turn and took mana burn if you didnt use it. Why did that change?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

This was never true, or stopped being true with sixth edition at the latest. The previous rule before the current one was that it drained at the end of phases, but not steps.

Then teenage me and my teenage buddies misinterpreted the rules 10 years ago, as little as it came up :downs: at least I'm aware of the correct rule this time around.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I have a historically bad record with boosters but I bought three today anyway. Got a phenax, followed immediately by a foil Brimaz. Not sure what to do with it since I don't care about foils. The guy working at the shop offered me two non-foil brimaz for the one, and value wise I guess thats about right. Any reason I shouldn't take him up on that offer? I pretty much never have really high dollar cards to trade.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Acolytes reward- does it always deal damage equal to my devotion, or based on the amount of damage that was prevented? If I'm reading it right, if I have 5 devotion it should deal 5 damage, regardless of how much damage would have actually been dealt to my creature?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Samael posted:

I just traded a Elspeth for a mutavault yesterday, dunno if that is a good trade or not. :( Now I need one more to put in my deck, though I can't seem to find one under £20.

I usually see elspeth for around $18 and I've seen mutavaults selling regularly for $30-40 so it sounds like someone ran off with a good trade. I hate mutavaults because I dont have any and they're so expensive and theyre good in almost every deck. Cant wait for them to rotate out.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Posting this here so I can find it again when Herald and SotL make it under $1 (Herald is very close already)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568408&userid=107192#post425273499

I'm on mobile and it wont link correctly for me, whats the post? Speculating on herald and SotL? Seems to me like people havent made up their mind about what to pay for those yet.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Emerson Cod posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but which would be better for selling extra cards from draft, Cardshark or TCGPlayer? It would mostly be commons and uncommons, but my wife and I have started racking up >4 on quite a few staples rares from draft. We would trade, but no one at our store seems to be interested in an equitable trade and/or already have them.

I've sold on Cardshark before and while they take 15% on top of Paypal's transaction fee, it's fairly straightforward and a decent way to unload extra commons and uncommons for a few bucks. I see that TCGPlayer has been allowing individual sellers, but it seems like they mostly want you to sell higher ticket items? The cut is a lot lower, but I can't find any good documentation on their listing limits.

If you have lots of staple rares and some of the better uncommons, why not try listing them on the goon card selling/trading thread first? Stuff goes quick over there depending on what it is. Make a list on deckbox and post it up.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I will always pull out my phone and price compare, even with friends. I dont want my friends to be taken advantage of unintentionally and I dont want people trying to trick me into a bad trade. As long as me and the person trading use the same resource to compare it shouldnt matter. Post those rares on here though for us to buy!

And why does anyone think herald of torment or SotL are bad cards/going to be under $1? Im genuinely curious. Spirit already seems to have a demand in several formats and I think herald is severely underrated right now and will be more appreciated when nightveil specter rotates out. I could be wrong though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

The spirit is very very similar to Thalia in its uses. It attacks the same types of decks along a similar axis with nearly the same restrictions in deckbuilding as Thalia has. And she has been played a lot, and still has never really been over $5 iirc. They will both be played forever, but the demand for them is so small compared to standard cards, and the supply is so large that they don't get expensive.

Well I could see that. I'd still snatch them up pretty quick if I could get sets for $1/card for trade fodder if nothing else. Still can't imagine either card hanging under $1 unless something from JiN comes out that's more useful post-rotation.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

man this thread moves fast.

Okay, looking for a recommendation for a ~$50 budget mono black devotion deck. My friend has built his blue/white heroic hoplite hidden strings deck and I want to be able to put up a fight. It seems like mono black devotion could be fun even if a budget version isn't going to win me any tournaments. This is strictly casual play.

I have an Erebos and 4x boon of erebos, 4x read the bones, 4x gray merchant, etc. What's a reasonably priced build for a mono-black devotion deck? Please keep in mind I'm really new to MTG.

edit: I don't have any thoughseizes unfortunately :cry:

This is kinda being ignored so I'll try to help. Try this deck, its mostly copied from a monoblack deck that did well in a tournament recently despite being a bit unconventional for monoblack. I'm just c/ping it from my friends deckbox:

http://deckbox.org/sets/593691

Replace the thoughtseizes with duress for now. Replace the heros downfalls with doomblade or some other removal. Take one erebos out since you only have one and take the whip out if you want, replace them with some budget cards like more orzhavas gifts (which the original deck did my buddy just wanted to use his cards). You could also throw in some herald of torments in there. They're good, fit the deck design, and are super cheap right now. I wouldnt cut the pack rats, but modify that deck I posted like I suggested and you'll make out in under $50 and have a fun deck to use. If you can't find eye gouges then use wring flesh, most of the time you'll actually use it on your own agent of the fates to force enemy sacs. It's a fun deck to play and you can upgrade it as you get the more expensive cards. The sideboard is cheap too.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

awesome, thanks! i'll take a look for these and see if I can't get it built out to try this weekend.

Let me know how it goes! Theres a lot of fun interactions in the deck. I personally believe that herald of torment is an upgrade from nighthowler, but nighthowler works well because you can discard your own creatures with packrat and should be forcing a decent number of sacs with agent. You'll find yourself doing stuff like eyegouging your own agents in response to declared attackers and abusing the deathtouch on agent too. Once you add some target removal on top of that your friend's heroic deck should struggle pretty hard. Grab some bile blights if you can for decks that token swarm faster than you can keep them down. Don't forget to ask in the goon selling thread for cards too, its usually cheaper than store prices. Dont be afraid to ask for a little off the top at the store too if you buy a bunch all at once if you do. Have fun.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

I couldn't find any bile blights or gift of orzhova's at the shop but here's what I ended up with with a friend's help

How does this look?

1x Erebos, God of the Dead
2x Herald of Torment
1x Erebos's Emissary
4x Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4x Pack Rat
3x Agent of the Fates
3x Insatiable Harpy
1x Deathgaze Cockatrice

2x Eye Gouge
3x Pharika's Cure
3x Duress
3x Doom Blade
2x Read the Bones
3x Underworld Connections
2x Ordeal of Erebos
2x Whip of Erebos

What should I drop to make room for a few more land?

I have extras of doom blade, duress, and eye gouge.

I would take out the insatiable harpys and deathgaze cockatrice when you can and replace them with tormented heroes, you have way too much stuff in the 4cmc area and it will slow you down a lot. I would also take out read the bones and depend on underworld connections for your extra draws, throw some more land in there. Replace those ordeals when you get the chance too but thats ok since they were out of gift of orzhava. Cant do much more for now than what your shop has available! Looks like you made out cheap and you can always finish off the rest later.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

Yeah, I only spent about $40 I'm addition to what I already had, and I managed to open a Thassa after picking up a couple packs of theros.

What's so great about tormented hero? Just that its low cost for a 2/1?

Yeah two power for 1cmc is always a good thing and its good to have something early to swing with in an aggressive creature deck. If you fill up on 4cmc cards you'll have games where you dont draw a something to play early and end up trying to drop one creature a turn to block the army your opponent already put down until you die. You do have a lot of control in there but those creatures I pointed out aren't worth it for their costs.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
:stare: Well that sounds like a terrible place, it would be hard to blame someone for not going back. I've always had good experiences with the stores around here for the most part so its always hard to believe places like that exist. I accept that I'm involved in a pretty nerdy hobby and dont mind putting up with a degree of spergy-ness but jeez. Most people I encounter are usually fairly shy so I try to be friendly.

Also mezzanon I enjoyed your post about the agent deck. I've liked that deck since I first saw it and was glad my practice buddy decided to build it when I showed it to him. It got some really useful stuff from BotG too, makes me want to build my own.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 15, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Veyrall posted:

He's playing it up for humor. I don't think Sharzak was in any genuine danger of being sucked into orbit around the overweight gentleman seated next to him. But I'm worried that I've met the Affinity guy he's talking about.

Well yeah that much I get but hot pockets guy is pretty indefensible. If you started a new hobby and went to the shop and he was the first guy you had to interact with, you wouldn't have a good impression. Add in things like kilt guy swearing at young kids for the sake of being edgy and its hard to shake the stigma that people already have for these kinds of hobbies and it doesn't make new people want to join in.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
You should be winning against that deck tbh, unless he gets lucky running a lot of mizzium skin you should be able to board in enough removal. Heroic dies pretty bad to black removal- doom blades, heros downfall, pharikas cure while they're still little, etc. Try making you a sideboard and adding some more removal if you keep losing, and crib notes from the long post about the aggro agents deck a few pages back. The "real" monoblack runs desc demons but the agents version doesn't. You could always get some and start shifting towards a monoblack devotion deck I guess but ideally you should be able to go even with your friend's deck with what you have. Was there one particular thing he was doing that was winning him games?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So where is Brimaz seeing the most use right now anyway? I have two that I plan on running in my big boros deck since it fits the theme of that deck, but are they anywhere else? R/G monsters seems to have taken a huge spike in popularity and thats the only real change I've noticed in standard lately.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Last Friday I played Golgari, which played so horribly I just dismantled the deck - 7 rounds of finding no creatures in a deck that hasn't ever lost a game before Friday. Everyone else played netdecked monsters or netdecked control except for one guy playing some stupid thing with Heliod, Ephara, and apparently no win con besides Brimaz and me having 1 creature for 20 turns. What an exciting tournament that was.

What were you running in your golgari? I've been trying to get a few pieces for it when available for trade and might make a deck later.

I'm wondering if Brimaz's current price was the result of some initial excitement about a good t3 white creature that wasnt just boros reckoner. Maybe he'll take the place of reckoner in decks when he phases out.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is it against the rules or considered overly rude to help a brand new player at a draft? My fiancee is going to go with me to her first FNM and if she enjoys it I might see if she wants to do draft on sunday but she doesn't know the first thing about drafting, deck building, or card values. The deck she uses now I put together myself. On the offchance she lands some decent packs I'd hate to see good/valuable cards get passed because she didn't know better.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Someone teach me about how to play modern affinity. I'm considering getting a deck for modern so I have more events to participate on and affinity was mentioned in this thread as being the most affordable. Looks like mox opal is the only really expensive card in the deck? The rest seem reasonable.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

taladel posted:

There is both a Modern/Legacy/Vintage thread and a Deckbuilding thread at your disposal!

Oh! Thanks, sorry.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Went 6-1 at FNM with my satyr burn deck last night! Got into top 4 and we all decided to split and go home. Played against 3 R/G monsters, beat two, went 1-2 with the third because he got a ruric thar out and I never hit a chains to remove it. Only my second FNM and there were almost 40 people there so I'm pretty happy with how my deck played out, I was the only one running a fast burn deck. Also won the promo card (which i then traded for a coursier) and my fiancee won the random draw for a promo herself. She actually went 2-2-2 with the selesnya tokens deck I made, which is awesome considering I'm the only person she's played up til now.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jhorphear posted:

Just started up playing competitive again and got trounced at FNM on firday. Most everyone there is playing R/G or R/W. My mazes end deck is just too slow/janky to really be effective. Any thought on what deck would give me my best matchups? Would a fast agro deck ( rdw, burn, sligh ) give me a better matchup? I don't quite want to dump $300 on a tier 1 deck right now, but its looking like I may just have to do it.

My area is flooded with r/g stuff as well. I only lost once at fnm last week using a very fast burn deck that only has 12 creatures, 4 of which are satyr firedancer. My only loss was during the third round of a set when my opponent dropped his single ruric thar on the table and I didn't draw anything to deal with it in time. I think the main reason I did well was because I outsped the monsters by keeping manadorks dead early and my sideboard is full of control, the only other two red decks were a devotion and a midrange red deck a new guy was running. It's not an expensive deck either, if you want to give it a shot: http://deckbox.org/sets/592950

The only expensive cards are the chandra planeswalkers and the sacred foundries. You could take the chandras out, though they were a huge help to me when I played them. Taking the white out is possible I guess, but boros charm and warleader helix are kinda too good to do without. Chain to rocks on sideboard saved me from monsters a few times, mizzium mortars for blood barons and stormbreath dragons.

You might also try making a mono-white aggro which can be done for relatively cheap, assuming you dont try to add any Brimaz. Same goes for selesnya aggro. My fiancee did well with the selesnya token deck thats in my decklists there, and it's missing voice of resurgence because it was made on more of a budget.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Does that restore balance deck ever win? Whats a typical game with that deck like? Looks fun in a goofy kinda way.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Im sure this has been asked before, but when do devotion checks occur? If someone has a BTE and other junk out, and they tap nykthos for devotion based mana, and I then shock the BTE in response to that, what happens? Do they lose out on the mana or is the check done when they activate nykthos?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ok thanks, should've assumed as much.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ungulateman posted:

I had a dumb bad question that got lost a while ago so I'll repeat it with more clarification:

I'm looking to build a reasonably cheap green "big things!" deck for either Standard or Modern. I'd like to splash either R or W (preferably not both, but eh) into said deck.

Is there a good pre-constructed deck on the market I could use for a base? If not, what would be a good place to start? I wouldn't mind grabbing some Garruks from M14, personally...

e: well that's a hell of a page snipe

http://deckbox.org/sets/589740

Try this. Its super budget friendly (you can get most of the cards for cheaper than listed there), its G/W, standard legal, makes some good sized creatures, its aggressive and you'll get wins in a casual setting. I made it specifically to be cheap for a beginner and its been sucessful for them and fun. It also has room to have more stuff added, mainly the temples and shocklands, but also Voice of Resurgence. Voice is expensive right now ($25-30 usually) and rotates out in september so i wouldnt invest those if youre just starting.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uggy posted:

My brother is playing almost the exact same deck today for game day, except he's running young pyromancers over ash zealot. It's a really good deck that can explode for damage obscenely quickly. He ran the same deck last week at fnm, where he and I split 1-2 while I was playing rakdos aggro with humans.

Whats the decklist in the tournament being discussed? I brewed up a R/w burn that used ash zealots over young pyros and was hugely successful. That deck design wins by speed and IMO young peezy is too slow. Zealot having first strike means she's more than just a chump blocker in a burn deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Any suggestions to replace act of treason then? I've been siding 2x revoke existence and 2x burning earth but otherwise my SB is pretty much the same.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
A spell doesn't hit the yard until it is fully resolved, correct? So if I use genesis wave for whatever X, it won't go to the graveyard until I am done laying out all permanents then? Basically I'm trying to get clarification on how it would work with eternal witness. When the witness comes in off of wave, is the wave already in the yard as a valid target for witness?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Stinky Pit posted:

You wont be able to put Eternal Witness's ability onto the stack until you finish resolving Genesis Wave, so while Genesis Wave isn't in the graveyard while its resolving, by the time you get to place the ETB ability of Eternal Witness on the stack, the card will be in the graveyard and be a legal target for the ability of Eternal Witness.

OK thanks, this is how I assumed this cycle would work but with all this stack talk it made me unsure.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I played with a guy today wearing a fedora with steampunk goggles wrapped around the top.

Someone post a good modern prison build. Is there a good one thats monowhite? Sounds fun but dont feel like shelling out for fetches for a second modern deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ScarletBrother posted:

No one honest is going to mind if you check trade values before agreeing on something. Just ask someone independent to look it up and show it to you.

The guy making the trade probably had a smartphone himself, I'll ask them to look it up if I don't have my phone handy. It's kinda like a lovely rite of passage for new players to be taken advantage of by some vulture douchebag. Sucks it happened but I doubt he'll let it happen again now.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Frozen_flame posted:

Wait what? Why, is it a one-of in a Green Devotion list?

That was my first thought. It would be kinda fun to try to run it in my modern green devotion since that deck could probably charge that thing up 3 turns after dropping it. I'd use it in a green edh at least.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

morning wood posted:

Ok someone needs to go use Kiora in a SCG tourney and top 8 with it so people will stop laughing at me offering her for trade. Funny because SCG has her listed at $25 but nobody wants her :mad:

I traded mine sunday at that value for some shocklands/scrylands so there are people that will trade for her, but yeah I've rarely seen anyone actually running her. R/G basically stole the spotlight from anything cool in standard right now.

Regarding scrylands, will those really be very desirable after rotation? I've taken up a policy of accepting any shocklands or scrylands in trades if people dont have anything else I want and I know shocks are a value-holder, not sure about scrys. Don't remember seeing too many in modern since they arent fetchable like shocklands.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'll be happy to see mutavault rotate out, I'm tired of seeing it forced into almost every standard deck. The card is good enough that it requires no thought about whether to include it. Still not as bad as thoughtseize though. Playing black at all? Thoughtseize please!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Promoted Pawn posted:

Not true. It requires 1 thought.

"Can my deck handle it if 4 of my lands became colorless? If yes, MUTAVAULT UP THIS MOTHERFUCKER"

Well yeah I suppose thats a given. Even then a lot of the time people will still use them, just 2-3 instead of a full set. It not having a color restriction is what makes it cost so much, which also annoys me. I just get a bad taste for cards that are both super powerful and dont have limited use so they end up in tons of decks regardless of color.

^^^ I'll grant you red devo on that point, but I do see a lot of U/W control players using it, even if its not a four-of. I really don't even mind seeing it across the table at FNM because I've been splitting top 2 or 4 the last few weeks running boros burn and its a convenient target for searing blood.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 13, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
drat you What a Judas :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah no kidding, please direct me towards these trades. I'd happily buy a set of temple gardens and other shocks im missing for $5 apiece.

Ed: to discuss further, I guess I dont understand why folks think these would drop so heavily? Theyre already used in a lot of staple modern decks and are fetchable. They're great now and they arent going to stop being usable in modern unless something better comes along.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 13, 2014

• Locked thread