Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Blood Artist. Loved how it messed with combat maths and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Sorry, where's this?

SCG Open in Nashville, don't know when the replay goes up - http://www.twitch.tv/scglive

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Lands in front. Cards upside-down to face the opponent instead. Guy hugging a huge stuffed pokemon as he plays.

:ughh: I'm done. There is nothing about this match that doesn't make me want to set both players on fire.

Ohitsapokemon. That was driving me nuts. He seems to have misplayed a lot into winning, but that's fine so long as UW loses.

At the Cardiff PTQ I went to a guy played dressed as Deadpool.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Has Brimaz always been $30, or has something already made him spike? Esper list sound cool though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

What limited format represents better value right now? Do I want 50% BNG packs from sealed or 33%BNG packs in draft?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Besides what was said above, Thoughtseize alone means that Theros blows BNG out of the water from a EV perspective. Outside of 3 or so mythics, BNG is pretty much a wasteland for value.

But Wasteland is worth loads! :rimshot:

Yeah, figured as much, going over the numbers it's not worth improving the odds of a Brimaz or Kiora against Thoughtseize and Elspeth.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Heard an odd thing earlier and I wanted to check it out. A guy said that he had it confirmed from a PTQ judge that if you cast Skullcrack so "Damage can't be prevented this turn", a creature with protection can can take damage from a source it's protected from (so long as it doesn't need to target etc) is that right? It seems wrong to me.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

I'd be surprised if Abrupt Decay was in, that's awfully recent.

As I recalk, FTV Legends had Mikaeus the Lunarch before Innistrad was even out. Also Ulamog from RotE, which would have been more recent than Abrupt Decay now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Entropic posted:

With the box being called "Annihilation" they can't not include Decree of Annihilation, right?

Damnation and Vindicate are the only money card I can think of for it.

As already mentioned, an Annihilator Eldrazi perhaps?

Worldslayer? Fits the name, even if it's a worthless card, and they have had a few of those in FTVs.

Edit: What about Karn Liberated and Legacy Weapon? And Door to Nothingness? The booklet could explain Maro's wishing for it to read "Destroy target player".

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 10, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Are we dismissing the possibility of Modern or Legacy playable reprints in Conspiracy? Sounds great anyway, I bet a few more cards will make it to my commander deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Something about that other image on the announcement, the 5 characters, really captured my interest, perhaps partially because it looked photorealistic for a moment to me. This being Magic, and there being 5 of them, I figure each is a different colour on the pie. Green, Red, Black, Blue, White going from the left, they even seem to be arranged in order. Maybe a cycle of legends or planeswalkers?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

On a less contentious topic, if the set has foils (don't think they said but the Magister of Worth has been shown up as one, so will at least there will be promos) and if they opt to reprint commander set cards, this might be the first chance to get something like a non-oversize foil Vish Kal.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

theironjef posted:

My Commander precon came with normal sized versions of all three commanders. Did they not do that at one point?

Not foil, and Vish Kal wasn't intended to act as commander in his deck (since he's only 2 colours), his oversize card was a release promo I think.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

How do they avoid making money by making a card everyone wants uncommon?

I know making Force of Will uncommon is a retarded idea but how does making a really powerful card uncommon and nobody will want to trade them away make it so nobody buys their product?

If anything everyone will eat up the packs.

They will buy more of those packs if the card is rare I think is the point.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So does the event finder on the Magic website just not work anymore? I can filter events down to the venues, but if I try to get any details it just tells me the servers aren't responding. Which makes no sense. I'm trying to plan for upcoming GPTs and such, but I can't do that until they get it back to just being a clunky, technically functional piece of poo poo like it was before.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Would the prices of fetches just dive at the announcement of a new Zendikar set? The new block should be announced in about a month, right?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bosushi! posted:

The shocklands might be a pretty good indicator as well. They were fairly pricey prior to RTR. http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Guildpact/Steam+Vents

Yeah, taking Vents as an example it looks like they dipped around the time of the announcement, but climbed around M13 to pre-DKA levels, presumably people wanting to be prepared for the new standard and responding to spoilers, before dipping to their current level after release with a bit of a spike with the standard rotation at Theros's release.

Won't worry about it too much then, just have 2 play-sets of fetches I'm not using, which have already tripled in value since I bought them. Anything that will serious damage to the value will probably give me a fair warning, and in the mean time I have the land if I ever dare to play something in Modern besides Affinity.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

"Life is just another resource" is seriously one of the hardest concepts to wrap your head around as a new player.

Don't they sometimes do black intro decks built around the idea from time to time? "X is just another resource" is one of the main characteristics of the colour.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Going by the announcements for Theros and RTR we can expect the next block to be announced at PAX in about a month.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Applebees posted:

Digital products get new art that never sees paper release all the time. Other examples: Force of Will; Hanna, Ship's Navigator; Black Lotus; Orzhov Signet.

Could you link me an image of this? I've never seen it. It seems like an odd one out since it's much more recent than the rest, and Modern-legal.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Korak posted:

Bleu Moon deck is the real deal. Absolutely smacking Sam Pardee's pod deck around, arguably the best pod player in modern at the moment.

Is it a new brew, or is it something that benefits from DRS going? I see it uses Snapcasters but I'm not sure they would be put off by last season's Jund.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

It's come up before, but Modern Affinity evolved from Mirrodin-block (pre-bannings) Affinity and retained the name. Plus the "affinity-count", whilst not used as a keyword, is relevant to Cranial Plating.

Edit: But Robots, Droids and Metalcraft are all fine.

Or we could try borrowing a team name from Transformers. Terracons or Predacons or something.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 23, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

jassi007 posted:

Tough matches for affinity. The welding jar was nice in g2, spellskite stinks. Thats why I like red variant, 1 blast targeting spellskite and that was a much different game.

Yeah I'm going to make some changes to mine and take a Jar or two, but definitely want multiple Galvanic Blasts for all the sideboard Spellskites. Considering the loner Master of Etherium too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I dunno, will buying the Duel Deck be sure to deliver value? I agree it could have 2 Remand, but stuff like Jace will surely be devalued ahead of time, and will probably slump at rotation, right?

Quite like the new Remand art.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

If I bestow a Herald of Torment to a Cartel Aristocrat and later give her protection from black, does the Herald fall off and become a creature?

And can you bestow to a creature with protection from creatures? I kniw it won't be a creature in play but can it target since the card type reads creature.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Game Day report!

Main thing I want to bring up is that Dark Sphere are trying out an app they made that will automatically send seating info to the email of anyone who registered their address on DCI. So instead of crowding around pairing sheets and falling over each other we just get the info on our phones and head straight to the new seats. Besides some incorrect seating being sent in the first round, apparently due to late registrants, and apparently something about tiebreaks, it went really well. Hope others get in on this, I'm surprised Wizards don't already have stuff to do it. Would make PTQs a lot smoother.

Anyway, I was monoblack Devotion:

Game 1: GR Monsters. 1-2 loss. Main thing I remember is in the third game I Thoughtseized t1 and thought it was safe to put Pack Rat down t2, and I should have been able to ride it to a win, but he drew Mortars, that pretty much descided it, even if I could keep him off the board for a bit.

Game 2: GR Monsters. 2-0 win, a guy I've played a few times and seem to always beat, even thought I seem to otherwise struggle against GR. Just got good value from my cards, like Bile Blighting the three chained BTEs he played together. Won the second game by taking his Nykthos with Specter and being able to play a Pack Rat, Underworld Connections and Merchant for 9.

Game 3: Selesnya Enchantments. 2-1 win. Newer player I think, didn't seem to recognise some cards, or maybe he'd taken a break. No Voices but maybe you don't play that anyway. First game I didn't attack or block with my Demon because he had 2 white open, so based on his attacks thought he had Flare, maybe he misplayed and I read too much into it. Lost the first game pretty much to this and a 8/8 monsterous Fleecemane with Courage and Gift of Orzhova. Second game went more my way when I made him eat his big lion and went in with the Desecration Luftwaffe, third game his hand was so dead he put Raised by Wolves on my Pack Rat for Tokens.

Game 4: Esper anti-fun. 1-0 loss. Newsflash, Sphinx's Revelation is a broken card that shouldn't have been printed. He got pretty much through his whole deck before finding his Elixir. Got enough Pack Rat and Mutavault action that it seemed worth it to keep going. Twice aimed Bile Blight at three Elspeth tokens so it would be countered and I could Downfall Elspeth, then Jace MA.

Game 5: Esper. 2-0 win. Thoughtseized a D-sphere and got to ride the Rat pretty hard. Then I got to play all four of my Underworld connections over I think 5 turns, only the third got countered. He scooped rather than face Grey Merchant beatdown. I think he was a turn away from casting a Blood Baron. Pretty much forced him to play sub-optimally ("theres a Sphinx's for two now?") Guy was fun and plays with win conditions, this is the Esper deck I like, and it helped he didn't get to make much of a broken card.

Game 6: loving GR Monsters again. 1-2 loss. Guy didn't want to ID to put us both to 10 points and prizes, it appeared to be possible to make top 8 (8th and 9th were on 10) but I ended up losing a couple of BNG packs to it. His deck did what it was meant to G1, mine did what it was meant to G2, G3 I just drew bullshit, no removal to speak of and he got to have it all his own way.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I just checked some dates, and Journey into Nyx comes out May 2nd, and GP Manchester starts May 30th, and is Block Constructed. That's not much time to figure out the format with the new cards, much less acquire or borrow cards. Is there any point in trying to develop a Block deck now in preparation? Right now I can only think to try to adapt an existing strategy like monoblack. I have almost nothing for RG monsters, who look like they might be able to play their standard decks less shock lands.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, I like my Dragon Shields, though I felt I needed to double-sleeve with those really tight fitting clear ones for a snug fit, seemed to be a lot of space around the edges I thought might fold up.

Anyone say how KMC sleeves compare?

E: the Game of Thrones ones are Fantasy Flight, right? I had heard theirs weren't so good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Should I be looking to move my Shocklands any time soon, or at least the ones I'm not using? I figure their price will dip at rotation as a lot come onto the market, but I don't know what will happen over time, when all these cards are only wanted for Modern.

whydirt posted:

Looks like the Modern Event Deck is confirmed to be B/W tokens. Only confirmed rares/mythics are Elspeth Knight Errant, Hero of Bladehold, and Honor of the Pure. Image in the link.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/547368-modern-event-deck-contents

No mention of Sorin, LoI, who I would think would be a headline card if he was in. Elspeth and Hero are good and welcome though. Guess it might have a Marsh Flats.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Boxman posted:

I'm enjoying the commentary on Yu being a complete lunatic for playing 3 hawks. "You don't know what he's going to do! He may play choke, he may reach across the table and choke you!"

If this doesn't show up on stream I'll consider the GP a failure.

So like $100 of foil basic lands for a start then.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

toadee posted:

He just wanted his rogue deck to cost as much as a regular Modern deck.

You know it's going to go off a couple of times, and of it putting a serious player on tilt.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I wasn't paying enough attention, how did Shahar cast Obliterator just now when one of his 4 lands was a forest? Don't think he had Urborg out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The March Hare posted:

Hmm, might be time to sell my foil runed halo... Thanks grand prix!

Did that see play, or just from Chapin saying it would? Sure it's a pretty-looking card though, and I did think of getting a set, as I'm looking to do BW or Esper with my new Modern deck.

Are there any recommendations for articles or whatever on deck brewing? I've asked if anyone's read Chapin's "Next-level Deck Bulding" but got no answers, so I guess no-one here has.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

That was my first thought. It would be kinda fun to try to run it in my modern green devotion since that deck could probably charge that thing up 3 turns after dropping it. I'd use it in a green edh at least.

Someone at that Chapin talk at Richmond (or at least on the Richond coverage, I don't know) mentioned having a monogreen deck, I had assumed it ran Primalcrux. I guess you could use Doubling Season to speed things up, but it still seems a tall order to set off.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Revitalized posted:

At what point does WOTC stop printing a set? I assume after it rotates out of standard or something? I sort of want to pick up some RTR block boxes to collect/invest in because the Ravnica stuff is just too cool.

I think as many RTR block cards exist now as there ever will, pretty sure they just print the current block's sets and the most recent Core Set. Could be wrong, but I don't think RTR block booster boxes are available for order from distributors now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Korak posted:

Two 7-0 Hexproof decks at the SCG Seattle event. I've been praising that deck for months and it gets better as less devour fleshes are played.

Pretty pleased with myself continuing to play Devour as a four-of.

Edit: though Key's Hexproof just lost to Monoblack Aggro.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 16, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Niton posted:

Trait Doctoring is, at least, far from the worst rare thanks to Heroic, since it reads:

U
Sorcery

Target target creature. Cipher.

If it was instant it might even be strong!

I think an instant speed Cipher spell would be hard to cost, since you can make it go off twice with ease in the right situation (no instant removal open) Hidden Strings is probably better for a Heroic deck though, since it targets two guys and can help get your Cipher-ed dude through. Still think of trying UB or UW Heroic for that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Talking of FTV, what should I do with my FTV20? JactTMS has now dropped pretty hard, any chance of it climbing back up? And should I part it out or keep it sealed and not bother with that?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I still haven't figured out how best to do it. I mean I take out the usable/tradable stuff and put them in binders, but I'm enough of a hoarder I'm not sure what I should get rid of. Should I try to have a play set of everything if I ever want to build a cube? The block that has been around for about half of my time in the game being multicolour doesn't help sorting either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Korak posted:

Was looking at some older deck lists and saw it. Thought it'd be a fun thing to talk about. A card that looked good but wasn't in the meta it was created in, but if it was reprinted next set would probably see a decent amount of play.
Who needs the second Clamp after you draw the first? :v:

• Locked thread