Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

When's a good time to bring up upcoming time-off during the interview process?

For more context: Really getting sick of my current gig to the point where I'm ready to start applying now. I have a wedding + honeymoon coming up in August and will probably be out for 2.5 - 3 weeks. I have zero expectations that a company pay for this time off (I'm a contractor at my current gig, so I pay myself time off and have money saved up just for this event), but I know it's pretty inconvenient to start a new gig and then suddenly be out for the better part of a month. I was originally planning on just sticking it out until August then applying everywhere afterwards, but I can't hold out any longer. Should I bring up my situation at the very start of the interview process? After accepting the offer or just before then? I have a friend who is also a dev who said their company is hiring, and he told me that it'd be zero problem to take that time off if I was working there, so I wonder if maybe I think this is a bigger deal than it actually is.

Thanks goons!

I'd bring it up after getting an offer and before accepting; prior to that they either won't care at all or it might hurt your chances. It's very unlikely to be a big deal though, especially at a larger company.

There's also a chance it'll be moot, the hiring process can be real slow so it's not totally crazy to think you might not have an offer on the table by August. The company I just joined let me pick my own start date and even suggested I take 1-2 months off between jobs to recharge, so that's another option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Guinness posted:

I and many of my software friends have been lamenting lately how there seems like there is no real way to be less-than-fulltime at most software/tech companies. The industry just seems to not even recognize the concept as possible, let alone beneficial, to both employee and employer.

As we are all reevaluating our relationship with work, onsite vs. remote, etc. post-pandemic, a recurring theme is that we would all love to be able to work 24-32 hours a week instead of 40. And we'd even gladly take the commensurate comp cut to do so. And I truly do believe that our total productive output would be very similar, especially when weighed against the effects of burnout that we are all feeling.

Among my circle of senior and well-compensated engineers at big tech companies, most of whom are also FIRE-minded, it seems that the only way out is to quit. I/we don't even hate our jobs, but we feel like we can't just keep grinding away at them "full time". We'd actually love to be able to cut back hours and find a more sustainable happy medium, but it seems like such a foreign concept to companies that would rather eat the high cost of turnover and institutional knowledge loss than entertain the idea.

Short of going all the way to freelance or agency contracting, which is its own world of stress and effort and uncompensated hours, has anyone had success in negotiating this sort of arrangement? Are there companies/industries where something like this might be possible?

Google has exactly this already, you can go down to 80% time or less for a commensurate reduction in compensation. Alternatively, in SRE you get oncall compensation hours you can use as bonus vacation; if you max it out every quarter it's an extra 8 weeks of vacation a year, which you can use to implement your own 80% time without taking a compensation hit. I had a FIRE-minded teammate who did exactly that. I don't work there anymore but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

Really? My wife has been at Google for a while now and this is the first I've heard of it.

I listened to people give talks on how to succeed at 60% time or whatever so yeah it's a thing. Now the question is, what else isn't your wife telling you about Google company policy.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I'm around 10 years, 7 of which were at a FAANG. I recently left for a fully-remote position at a non-FAANG tech company. Mostly I wanted to go remote, but also I was burned out from trying and failing the promo process at my last place.

Previously I was around 270 TC which was like 135 base/35 bonus/100 RSUs, which was also apparently the soft cap for the level I was at (one below senior). Now I'm at 200 base/90 RSUs/0 bonus with the senior title.

I also have to say that interviewing again after so long was really tough, and gave me imposter syndrome all over again for a while.

edit: was in Pittsburgh, now at a beach town.

Edly fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 25, 2021

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yeah, same, I didn't jump around as much but making FAANG bucks didn't happen over night.

Thirding this, went to a state school, first two jobs were in the 50-60k range, got hired at a FAANG around 130k and grew over time with consistently good-but-not-amazing perf scores.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm doing the true deep dive LeetCode/FAANG grind for the first time and I have to say, it's simultanously better and worse than I expected it to be. I've breezed through all the mega-patterns (windows, backtracking, dfs and bfs on trees, grids, and graphs, combo DP stuff, etc) and things like that which were once quite daunting have become totally manageable, but there are still so many random questions I run into on the company lists where I have quite literally no idea how I'd solve them in a 40 minute window without rote memorization of that exact problem. People used to say there was a lot of luck invovled, hence the "algo roulette" moniker, but I refused to believe them and just thought I had to git good. Now, I feel like I have to git good at accepting that I may prep a ton, become very strong, and still fail which is maybe even harder to swallow than the original take of just being a dumbass.

You sound way more well prepared than I was, hopefully that gives you some confidence. There is a big element of randomness to the process for sure though, both in the questions you get and the interviewers themselves.

I did fine with algo questions I think, where I struggled was with system design (at least until I went through a couple interviews and got a sense of what kinds of things interviewers wanted to see and ask about) and then one company's take home project where they wanted to do a deep dive into the code I wrote and test me on whether I knew some really specific implementation details about a Python class I was using (spoiler: I did not).

It's been observed many times in this thread but the skills I had to demonstrate in interviews were almost completely unrelated to the skills I had to develop on the job. I did a lot of large-scale migration type stuff in SRE, so I actually didn't write a ton of code, or ever design a scalable system from scratch. Instead I learned a bunch of soft-skill type stuff about managing big projects etc. I think not coincidentally I only got offers from the companies where part of the interview process was talking about my experience directly with hiring managers.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Armauk posted:

Is the leetcode-grinding interview truly the only obstacle for getting that foot into the door at FAANG? Once you're in, do you have to worry about doing it again for future jobs?

Your resume has to get you to the interview in the first place, but after that I'm pretty sure the main deciding factor is your performance in the interview. I was never on a hiring committee so take that with a grain of salt, but I did conduct maybe 75-100 interviews and get to see the whole slate of interview feedback and ultimate hire/no hire decision.

Sadly you still have to go through the whole process again for future jobs.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
For me personally the money stopped mattering around 150k, but I felt like I had to chase promo because I wanted the status and respect of my peers etc. I think "who cares about titles" is the best way to live your life but it didn't come naturally for me.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

I'm in NYC and with 5 YoE I'm worried I won't get the 200 TC I want if I don't get one of the FAANGs. But, I quite literally could not care about titles as long as I'm getting paid enough to live relatively "comfortably".

I think my current company might be a good option, I PMed you.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

rt4 posted:

How hard do you need to stick to disqualifiers for an offer? I have one offer at $170k which has some solid perks such as paid training, then another for $200k + some performance-based stock grants (real stocks). The higher paying role would be the first on an internal support team with on-call duties and an "unlimited" vacation policy with no mandatory minimum. I'm worried that the higher paying job will stress me out with on-call, uncertain vacation boundaries, and general workplace chaos. On the other hand, I'm also worried that I'll feel stupid in the future for passing up a significant pay increase.

There's no losing option because I've come to hate my current job and it pays way less. Many people have worse dilemmas, of course :sigh:

How stressful oncall is is going to vary a lot by company and team, but it's a pretty common thing so I don't think it should be an automatic disqualifier. Ask them how long each shift is (eg 24x7 or are shifts split across teams in different time zones), how frequently you'll be oncall (eg 1 week every month), how many times per week your prospective team typically gets paged, and if there's any extra compensation for being oncall outside of work hours.

Ditto for unlimited vacation - it could be a net negative or a positive depending on the team and company cultures. My current company has unlimited vacation and I viewed that as a negative but their pitch was that half the company lives in Europe and that informs the vacation culture, and my manager told me he makes sure people take at least 4-5 weeks. Ask how many weeks people take each year on average, and ask your prospective team in particular how many weeks each person actually took last year.

Edly fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 31, 2021

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

what jose said about measuring impact. if you tell somebody to do something in a meeting, make sure that's written down as meeting notes or whatever and that your name is next to it. doing l5 work isn't all that big of a deal, but doing all the bookkeeping to show that you're doing l5 work is a bit obnoxious. also, sometimes there ain't poo poo you can do. if you're leading a team of devs on an obviously l5 project and then some p0 poo poo comes in that takes those devs off the project for three months, then you're not getting promoted that cycle. it's not your fault, and nobody will say it's your fault, but you still won't get promoted.

You might be able to tell that I'm describing my own situation :) But, like, it doesn't matter too much. I used to really, really care about promotion because of the title change (back to my old title) - the title change would give me more leverage on the job market and internally to transfer to my preferred location. but then a pandemic happened, and now I've been approved for full-time remote work. I'm being paid an L5 salary because I'm doing L5 work and everybody is happy to say "Achmed does L5 work leading blah blah blah, but the impact isn't there yet because of reallocations and stuff, pay him pls". the only thing that promotion would get me now is bumping up the salary cap, but I haven't capped out yet so it doesn't matter for the near term.

This kind of describes me, I really really cared about promo to L5, and I had finally built the skills to do L5 work, and then the pandemic ate a promo cycle, and then I got asked to drop my "here is your L5 promo" project to work on some other time-sensitive project that turned into multiple quarters but wasn't deemed impactful enough. I was so burned out after that that I left, but now I can't remember why I cared about promo so much to begin with. I was at L4 for a really long time though, so I was salary capped.

My L5 advice is, decide if you actually want it, because it's not all upside - the nature of your day to day work will change. Make sure your manager is actively working with you to get you there; choosing projects with the right scope is hugely important, as well as going about them in the right way. You don't have to lead a small project team to get there, but my impression was that that's by far the most common path to success. And if your team doesn't have the right projects available for you to get promoted, change teams proactively, don't wait around for things to change.

edit: Pollyanna I PMed you

Edly fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 14, 2021

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
For me the money stopped mattering a long time ago, but at Google I worked with so many people who were smarter than me and just got to L5 and L6 naturally like it was nothing. Meanwhile for me, L5 was a huge stretch goal that required a bunch of personal growth before I could even realistically think about taking a shot at it. I felt like I needed to chase promo because a bunch of my friends had already gotten it and people wouldn't respect me if I didn't too. Obviously now I realize that was distorted thinking, (almost) nobody gives a poo poo about level. It was really hard to see that at the time though.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Can I get a discord invite too please.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I've been in big tech for ~8 years, but only moderately successful, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I think it's possible to have a very chill, pleasant experience, or a really stressful cut-throat experience, depending on your level of ambition. If you just want to coast along working < 40 hours a week getting slightly above-average performance reviews for your entire career, you can do that and be very comfortable. Heck, you'll probably still visibly outperform some of your peers. Where you might encounter politics and cut-throatiness is if you want to really climb the ladder and reach the echelons where the slots and projects are limited. I have no personal experience with that, so I'll let others say if I'm right or wrong there.

My big tip is, make sure you're choosing the work that will actually get rewarded. You can work really hard and do really great work on a problem that's either genuinely unimportant, or for whatever reason isn't valued by the internal promotion process, and you might as well not have bothered. This can apply to choosing a team, too - some teams' work is genuinely more impactful (eg a core infrastructure team where any performance optimization will save the company thousands of cores); likewise some teams' work is just easier to translate into numbers that will look good on a promo statement.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I switched jobs about a year ago, I had to send my laptop back but I got to keep my extra monitor and WFH office furniture because it was impractical to ship.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Gin_Rummy posted:

Wondering if anyone might have some general advice for my situation:

I’m a somewhat recently turned mid-level mechanical engineer; though I have worked in/with software for a few years, I did not OFFICIALLY become a software engineer until a little under a year ago. My current job is a Stone Age relic that uses barely any new technology and I am basically just stuck making CRUD apps all day every day.

I have been job hunting for months, and presumably by merit of my general engineering background and work experience, I don’t seem to have much trouble getting interviews… the problem I appear to be running into is that I don’t really have any professional experience in web dev, modern frameworks, true front end/backend/full stack design, containerization, cloud etc. I have done my best to strike out in my free time and generate some projects that utilize these skill sets for my portfolio/GitHub, but generally it seems that my drive and interest to try and learn these concepts on my own hasn’t been enough to get me in the door anywhere.

So now I have to wonder what I can do to improve myself and increase marketability. Is there some kind of night school boot camp I can attend to bolster a bunch of these skills pretty quickly? Do I just need to keep grinding out projects? Opportunities at work are a complete dead end, so I’m really just stuck with whatever I can do in the evenings.

Are the companies explicitly telling you the issue is a lack of modern webdev experience, or are you inferring that from vague interview feedback? What's been the structure of the interviews that you feel you've done poorly in, and what's the actual feedback you've gotten?

In my experience, if you're getting the interviews, then your resume is good enough, and you just need to focus on interview performance. And the interviews themselves tend to be self-contained algorithms questions that have nothing to do with full stack development, with maybe a design/architecture question thrown in where it helps to have real experience but you can still fake it by having read a few chapters of Cracking the Coding Interview. At my current company I've been in several interviews with candidates with minimal distributed systems experience that do well on the coding part and not so well on the design part, and we still extend an offer, just not at senior.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Gin_Rummy posted:

Most have not given explicit feedback, despite me prompting for it, but the structure and types of interviews that the rejection comes after seems to I support my assertion. For example, I had a lengthy discussion with a backend hiring manager where he just kind of asked me about what ORMs I have used in personal projects, why I chose the framework I did, etc. He did not seem satisfied enough with my knowledge and I got a rejection the next day.

I also had one that just kind of talked about my current projects and the hiring manager seemed unimpressed before the interview even ended, then I got the rejection the next day.

I think another aspect of this is that, even though I explicitly apply for junior/mid level roles, recruiters will also sometimes put me in for a senior or staff role without me even knowing it until the interview. At that point, expectations for all parties are way off. One company did explicitly tell me that my GitHub did not display enough “senior level” type design, which is absolutely fair in that context.

Generally the coding/DS&A stuff isn’t a huge hurdle for me. I have my share of live coding bombs, but I also have had plenty of positive coding assessments. I’ve had a few design/architecture interviews that seemed to go fine as well… knowledgeable enough to at least hopefully show that I know what’s going on, even if I am not an expert. In any case, I typically don’t have much problem progressing beyond the “coding round.”

That being said, I had been looking into getting Cracking the Coding interview… it definitely doesn’t hurt to prop up those skills, but it just doesn’t seem to me like it is the biggest piece missing from my puzzle right now.

Fair enough. I guess I'm still surprised you haven't gotten any offers if you feel you're doing well on at least some of the coding and design interviews, but I also am from a traditional SWE background so it might just be a failure on my part to relate to your experience.

At both of the big companies I've worked, you'll do the entire interview panel even if they all go poorly, so I wouldn't interpret doing the later interviews as having passed the earlier ones (but that's not to say you're not passing, I believe you if you say they feel like they're going well). I'm not at all surprised that recruiters are misleveling you, 90% of my experience with recruiters is that they just suck at their jobs (sorry to any actually good recruiters, I have worked with several). I guess it could explain things if hiring managers are skimming your resume and seeing "X years total experience" and missing the "but only Y of those years are in SWE". If you haven't already, it might help to rewrite your resume to emphasize the recent SWE experience and really deemphasize the mechanical engineering experience, to make it clear that a career change happened.

I don't know about night school bootcamps, but people have definitely posted positive experiences with bootcamps in general. Usually though that's how people get their foot in the door to get the first couple years of experience, which it sounds like you've already done.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

My org this year has decided that, because product's roadmap far outstrips our resourcing, all our interns will take up projects that are intended to be more or less production-ready by the end of their 12-weeks. I'm not sure whether this idea came from product or our management, but, needless to say, every engineer's response was uniformly some mixture of:
:aaaaa: :shepicide:

We've been assured that everyone up the chain understands that an intern project is likely to end up in a state that is not production-ready, if it doesn't crash and burn outright. I'm quite curious to see if that understanding persists 12 weeks from now! The project I've handed off to the intern I'm mentoring is relatively straightforward compared to a lot of the others, but there's still so drat much for them to ramp up on...

And, of course, mentoring the intern eats up a lot of my time when I've already been constantly jumping from extinguishing one fire to the next all year, unable to focus on the larger tasks and projects that I need to take on to put me on track for a promo (or just plain provide evidence that I'm fit for my current level, if management decides to ignore the constant incidental firefighting). The senior devs on my team are awesome and somehow find time to ideate and churn out smart proposal docs for cool improvements, while I'm getting pulled in every direction on "urgent" matters and can barely fit in time for the tickets I've taken up for the sprint. I guess I can try to better communicate to my manager what's all already on my plate and that, no, I really can't provide meaningful input on new items X, Y, and Z without sacrificing the other poo poo I'm trying to get done :shrug:

I'm planning on staying through the end of the year for the 401k match to vest, but if the job market is still favorable to engineers (perhaps less so this summer with recent layoffs?), I'll probably jump ship.

This post is setting off sirens in my head - please don't sacrifice yourself doing work that won't be recognized.

Allow me to suggest that, by taking on all this firefighting, you may not actually even be helping your team in the long run. For example: your manager might be unaware that there is an unsustainable problem because your heroic efforts are masking it; or maybe some of this firefighting would be promo-worthy for someone else on your team but you're not giving anyone else the opportunity.

Can you either redistribute some of this work to the rest of the team, or simply allow some things to fail? That could free up some of your time to take a step back and plan more sustainable, long term solutions.

All of the above only applies in a healthy org/with a good manager, although if that doesn't apply to your situation then don't wait until the end of the year to leave, start looking now.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
It sounds like you're not sure whether your contributions will be recognized; I think it's worth checking in with your manager explicitly on that today so you can potentially change course instead of waiting for a performance review. I'm saying this having learned that lesson the hard way; I left my last job over a similar situation and I'm still kinda bitter about it.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

raminasi posted:

This F# for Fun and Profit piece dunks on Uncle Bob, it's pretty fun. This is the snarkiest part:

Thank you! I read this article a couple years ago and it made a big impression on me, been trying to find it again ever since.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Purchased!

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

I'm seeing numbers come down a bit in NY. I'm at roughly $275k now and looking to leave my job and it's starting to feel like it's going to be pretty tough to beat that with my 7 YoE. Finance I guess?

That's on the low end of Senior at Datadog. NYC passed a law recently that job listings have to disclose salary, so you can find theirs online, not including RSUs. Example: https://careers.datadoghq.com/detail/4609413/?gh_jid=4609413

From asking around, the biggest RSU package I've heard of someone negotiating at Senior is about $225k/yr, so the upper range for TC is around $500k I'd guess.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

I got rejected from Datadog last go around, also isn't their stock in the shitter too?

Even so, it's a data point in favor of "yes you could probably do better in NY without resorting to fintech".

And yeah DDOG is currently less than half its peak, although as far as I know it hasn't done especially worse than the tech sector in general.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Without having your lead's side, there's not enough context here to say. It could be that they're just neurotic about estimates and think that this is how agile is supposed to work; or it could be that you're a chronic underperformer and just weren't called out on it until this team because that's how most of G's culture is.

Do you have a sense of how much you get done compared to the rest of your team? Have you ever gotten feedback before around velocity?

Your manager (or their manager) is the person to ask about this. A lot of managers are shy about giving critical feedback, and a lot of ICs are oblivious about hearing it, so "we think you're a slacker and are planning to fire you" might sound like "there have been some concerns around your velocity on this project in the past". If you're not sure, be explicit: "is my current level of performance enough to keep working here indefinitely, or will I get fired if I don't improve?" If it's clear that your manager doesn't think you're the problem, then you can talk about ways the lead can manage the project without stressing everyone out.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

oliveoil posted:

Yeah, I do feel like other people churn out code much faster than me. I've only been able to match the volume I've seen from others by taking Adderall. I also got feedback from my manager on velocity when I first joined this team as well, when I was under this same TL.

To be frank I've always wondered if there's something wrong with me since I pretty commonly find myself tired seemingly at random and repeatedly forgetting what I read immediately after reading it, forgetting what a section of code or a function does immediately after reading it while I try to understand how it fits into another part of the codebase, etc.

Like supposedly normal people can keep 3-7 things in mind at once, but I randomly end up being at 0-2 things in mind at once. And I spend a lot of my time at 0 or 1 where I just repeatedly forget what I'm reading or doing while I'm still doing it and have to start over or at 1 where I forget what I was just reading or doing as soon as I have to do one other small task or read one other small thing.

I've never found a doctor who would take it seriously though so I don't know if I'm just imagining it. I do feel like it's rare that I can just sit down and code at the same level as my peers though.

I'm sorry to hear that, and no judgment here btw; I've been on both sides of the table. I was fortunate to get to work on a team that let me skate by for years while I figured my poo poo out.

The medical stuff is way beyond my expertise, but I hope you get some answers, or figure out a work environment that works for you. If you have a diagnosis you may be able to approach things from that angle; I believe using the magic words "medical accommodation" will trigger a whole HR process, and you might be able to get more flexibility around work hours or something.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
While it sucks to have to deliver feedback like that, it can help to remember that you're doing it for the good of the team. Other people notice the underperformance too, and it can be a drag on morale if it feels like someone isn't pulling their weight.

Plus, people really do turn things around sometimes, which is a great feeling for both parties.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I'm still interested.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Sorry Pollyanna, what a shitshow. Sounds like your managers failed you; you're not supposed to have to figure all this out on your own.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, I'm having an actual mid-life crisis. So, background here is:

- Had a stressful FAANG job, quit it back in 2019, decided to take a break by doing indie gamedev for 6 months to a year or so
- COVID hit, decided I didn't want to job hunt during a pandemic, kept working on the game because it was fun
- Launched the game in February of this year, and on a related note I was completely exhausted
- Took a couple of months off to recover, started a job hunt, it went nowhere fast
- Fiddled around with a ludicrously ambitious procedural generation project in my copious spare time
- Turned 40 years old
- Reviewed my finances and realized that actually if I moved somewhere cheaper (like, "CA to not CA" cheaper, not "CA to undeveloped country" cheaper) I could retire

So like, boo hoo, what a terrible problem to have. But also: my motivation is shot to poo poo. Since I realized that I could retire, I've been just sitting around playing videogames, watching YouTube, and browsing real estate listings. I did 1 carpentry project (making a custom game controller for playing Street Fighter 6) and I'm still doing basic maintenance stuff, but by and large, I'm idle.

I think a big part of it is simply that I've spent the last 20+ years of my life trying to reach this stage, and all of my long-term planning was in some way dedicated to that. Yes, even the indie gamedev; I was well aware that it was a poor-odds gamble, but there remained the possibility that the game could take off and push my financial situation further along.

So...any advice on figuring out how to structure your life once your life project is accomplished?

Boo hoo, trade lives with me.

Serious response: if you're into self help books, I found Designing Your Life to be really helpful in planning out my last big life/career change.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I've been managing a fully remote team for the last 2 years and "how to make the team feel like a team" is something I've thought about a lot. In order of most to least impactful, here's what I've seen work:

• Solving problems together - if you have a team of 5, don't have 5 projects in flight with everyone working off in their own corner. We follow a "no 1-person projects" rule and it's been effective.
  • Meeting up in person, ideally with some purely social time. We do 2 week-long team summits a year, and invariably all the bonding happens during the team dinner.
  • Having a shared vision - what are we working toward? What do we want the thing we built to look like in 3 years?
  • Some amount of virtual face time; our meeting load looks similar to the post above. 1:1s are the most important for developing relationships. My favorite team one is a Friday share-out meeting (everyone makes a slide about what they worked on that week; super casual tone, memes encouraged).
  • Team identity. We have t shirts and stickers with a team mascot someone drew, and all the teams in our org have an animal theme (silly, but people are into it).

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

thotsky posted:

I'm really struggling. My entire team consist of people approaching retirement, they're all working from cabins dotted around the country, and nobody gives a poo poo about what I do.

Sorry for your troubles, but as an outsider this is really funny. What a time to be alive!

When you say nobody gives a poo poo, do you mean just your peers or does that include your management chain and the business at large?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

You interviewing?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

minato posted:

How does this look in practice, if everyone's remote? Like, is it a combo of pair programming, code reviews, and people on the task coordinating on what each of them are doing each day during standup?

I would love to institute a rule like this but my team is spread across many countries/timezones so it's been really hard to get people to work together in person consistently. People don't seem to like self-organizing; I have to constantly push them to setup meetings to collaborate with each other, it's exhausting.

A little of all of the above; for the most part folks are still working on tasks individually. A lot of the collaboration comes in the form of impromptu design discussions in Slack, or in the weekly Zoom project sync where they're scoping out/strategizing the next chunk of work.

We're all in the continental US though, a big timezone disparity is a whole different beast. I've worked on a couple teams split across the US and Europe and I've never seen this solved to everyone's satisfaction; either project teams are clustered by timezone and separate team cultures develop, or you force everyone to work across timezones and it adds a ton of friction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Agreed that your managers aren't doing a good job, if they're expecting you to sacrifice yourself to keep the project from failing.

Does your manager know the extent of your struggles? Have they asked you to work overtime to keep the project afloat?

IMO the way to approach this in a healthy organization is to not compromise on work life balance: "So far the project has only survived because I haven't been working at a sustainable pace for almost a year. What I can get done sustainably is X, Y, Z, which means A, B, C won't get done by the deadline. Would you like me to prioritize differently?"

Sometimes that means things fall on the floor and projects fail because they're understaffed, but that creates the impetus to get more headcount. You're the best judge of whether you're in a healthy organization though.