Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Che Delilas posted:

And yeah, you don't get only one shot. Many companies have a minimum waiting period (like 6 months to a year, typically), but that's it.

I know a guy Google has flown out no less than 4 times for in-persons. Never quite makes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JawnV6 posted:

...with several verticals where an IC's front line manager can be unaware...

What's "IC" here?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

necrobobsledder posted:

It's a bit telling at a point when "execute" at high levels doesn't mean to actual perform a task as much as to decide on the task (Chief Executive Officer).

There's typically myriad politics and relationships to maintain, complex quid pro quo handshake non-agreements and plotting, backstabbing, moaning, groaning, wailing, and of course gnashing of teeth. You might make the right decision, but if you're not managing all of that other stuff really well at the executive level, your corporate lifespan is measured in months if not weeks or days because you'll get thrown under the bus by a full quorum of your peers upset that you don't want to play the game. That's before you start talking the shareholder-first necessities of public companies.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Is Palantir bad? I've heard horror stories but a recruiter contacted me today. Also I never heard from Facebook which makes me sad.

Most of the horror stores are from the Sauron days.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Che Delilas posted:

I don't mind coding projects as long as they're reasonably sized and have basically no chance of being something that the company is going to take and use in production. The "build us a full website with membership and a content management system" from the other day (in the Working In Development thread, I guess) is hilariously inappropriate.

Maybe it's a test. Give them a phpBb install and call it a day

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Is not getting any sort of career advancement/mentorship/working on anything remotely stimulating (or anything at all really)/sitting there while your brain rots/on a team that's already overstaffed that just hired another senior developer a valid reason for leaving that future employers would find "Acceptable"? Cause I'm really close.

Yes, but it would be a good idea to be sure you can explain some ways you've tried to fix your own situation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

If you can leave, do. Life is too short for spending 40h/week (or more) at something you "hate".

Or take a couple of weeks off and see if that helps the burn out. If it actually makes it worse, you know it's time to move on.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Scrum master is a position that varies wildly across employers. Some employers you are a glorified meeting runner, others will have you driving the project forward as a whole in a position considered somewhat over the development team(s) and product owners.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Had anyone tried to negotiate language for specific amounts of an "OK" number of days to take off when working for an unlimited company?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LLSix posted:

How do I search for telecommuting jobs? I've always been willing to relocate before so I don't know where to start looking.

My wife is going through the final stages of getting offers from companies in Washington and Illinois so I can't apply to positions in either location because I can't promise I'd be able to move there and one of the cities is small enough I'd likely only be able to find something telecommuting anyways.

What I'm seeing, having been looking casually for a remote work position for over a year, is that coding remotely is still nowhere near a mainstream type of job. If you don't have a special skill, know that special someone, or be able to accept a special salary, it's an order of magnitude harder than just getting a regular office job.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone worried about the h1b politics?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

This might not be a dev-specific question, but how does overtime work? According to my manager, the company considers me a non-exempt employee which means the government considers me to be making too much per hour to warrant requiring my company to pay me for any more hours than 40 per week. That's not to say nobody pulls more than 40 hours per week, that happens pretty regularly, but we just aren't compensated for it. This more or less came up in the context of me letting the rest of my team know that I had a doctor's appointment in the morning yesterday, and a talk afterwards about how to properly handle flex time (i.e. us Boston developers are allowed a non-contiguous block of working hours as long as we get at least 40 by the end of the week).

Is this common practice among dev organizations? I don't know if it's because my company isn't specifically about software, but it's vastly different than what I was used to when I was working for a startup.

If your company is tracking your individual working hours, you're automatically in a lower-tier company/position or in a company with bad HR in general. As an employee, that is, contractors of course track every hour.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blinkz0rz posted:

There is a sweet spot, though. I found a place that pays me well, has interesting problems to solve, has a ping pong table, and has fun events and drinking.

It exists, I promise. It just took me almost 10 years to find it.

Give it a few more months or a year or two at most. Good culture never seems to endure, or maybe I'm just terribly unlucky.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oliveoil posted:

I can't imagine getting $200k to start as a junior and going up from there with stock price increases and bonus grants. That sounds like a crazy magical world thing. Am I just really under paid / too dumb to have properly been job-hopping like a smart person all this time?

As total compensation:

To the vast majority of software engineers in the world today, $100k USD is really good money to be making at any point in the career.
To the vast majority of software engineers in the USA today, $200k USD is really good money to be making at any point in the career.
To the vast majority of software engineers (or, well, for anyone in any industry who's not a CEO) in SV today, $400k USD is really good money to be making at any point in the career.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That would be terrible English if I meant the latter.

Hrunting for the right words? You're sentence was crap.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Makeout Patrol posted:

Anyone work in Berlin (or Germany in general)? I'm planning on moving there later this year and my German isn't up to a business level. Are there tech companies that conduct their business in English or am I going to be better off looking for remote / freelance work?

I work with people from Berlin a lot. They always seem to want everything planned out way in advance in meticulous detail, not sure if that's a cultural thing or if I'm working with a waterfall 2006 cult. They mostly speak English, but I think they prefer German internally.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's insultingly low for anybody with any experience at all, isn't it? I mean like...anywhere.

Just in the US pretty much. All other countries embrace relatively low tech wages. Hence the US stealing all the best and brightest.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lifg posted:

Everyone starts to check out towards the end, but you should be doing good enough work to make sure your references will be good after you leave. That can come back to haunt you.

Interestingly, at the engineering manager level, I've been through two jobs over the last six years and no one has even mentioned references.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Most of the recruiters I've worked with told me that I should expect no more than $40K as a fresh grad and even that would be high.

...I have a CS degree.

I won't name and shame but one recruiter tried to hook me up with a company that I'm pretty sure was 100% a scam.

I got the same response, and I took the job around 40k. This was 15 years ago though.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Iverron posted:

If there's one thing I've heard repeatedly over the last 7 months of job hunting other than "we've decided to move forward with candidates that better fit our needs" it's "the average tech job lasts 18 months".

That may be accurate, but I've seen the average tenure at good companies to be much higher. And of course, leaders stay for a long rear end time because continuity of management is super important.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is making it awkward to walk by our keg stand areas at work.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Hey Gang, taking over as lead on a medium-large-ish legacy project today. I was thinking of diagramming everything out in UML in order to get a better understanding of how the thing is built so I can start seeing where to make changes. My thinking is I don't want to go brazenly making changes without having a decent understanding of how this thing works.

Any advice before I jump in?

Don't jump in the well, and if you do jump in, climb out as soon as possible; if you're having trouble climbing out, ropes may be available.

I mean, if UML is useful to you, then do it, but I'd rather slam my dick in a drawer than read or write UML diagrams encompassing an entire codebase.

The naming and organizational features of the codebase (e.g. repos, modules, packages and class names), others who have worked on the codebase, and any architectural or other documents should be a guide for the process. If the docs don't already exist, I'd start documenting project level use cases and do super roughed out flow diagrams for each use case to help identify common high-level functional components. Once you have those brilliantly encapsulated high-level functional components or squiggly mess of spaghetti roughly understood in concept, start looking more at the system state transitions and data models. From there, start to specialize in different areas of the project as they undergo modification and refactor these logical components to well-encapsulated modules as they become involved in functional changes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter posted:

Team leads don't handle HR issues or do performance reviews. They're also not generally working with the relevant members of senior and middle management on how the projects their team works on fit in with the company's strategy. That's the distinction.

Where I work, that is incorrect and "team lead" is a specific managerial title. For what it's worth, I really disliked having team leads separate from management myself, because it creates what is essentially an office space/"dotted line" boss and causes confusion over who is the decision maker. Do you follow your team lead or the person who decides how big your bonus is when there is a conflict (or even an ambiguity)? Do you now need a bunch of RACI charts to reference to decide who to listen to for what? Or will all decisions be done by what is effectively a small committee (manager, team lead, product owner, et al.)? It's just a lot messier than a straightforward hierarchy, and though some people claim it's the "agile" way of doing things, it only ever seemed to hurt the organization's results.

As a team lead, I love having a director as a boss who has a VP boss reporting to the CTO, and having straightforward lines of communication, responsibility, and decision making. Before being a manager, I also have loved when I have this setup.

The worst place I ever worked (organizationally at least) had a separate person for team lead, architect, engineering manager, product owner, product manager, project manager, program manager, scrum master, and process manager. The team lead reported to the engineering manager and the product owner reported to the product manager. Architecture, engineering, and product were separate verticals that didn't combine until the VP level. Process was a detached vertical but process compliance was a customer requirement. Try getting someone to make a decision that sticks in that environment.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
GWH, you're on your way to Goon_in_a_well.txt. Take the rope ladder that's being lowered to you by HR.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

So, the new job didn't work out. First order of business for the day was to meet with my manager aaaaaaand he told me that today would be my last day and sent over a separation agreement for me to sign. When I pressed for an explanation to why I was being let go, his response was disjointed and difficult to understand - what I managed to glean was that it had something to do with how the remote setup was working with the rest of the team, and something about a small company culture vs. big company culture and how they operate as a startup. When I asked for more details, he said (in his words) that it was "not a fit with the way they work, can't say much more" and that his response was "very vague" but that he unfortunately couldn't say more.

Honestly, I'm more disappointed and annoyed than anything. If there's something wrong with how I was working, I would have expected feedback and critique to work off of and improve on instead of just being unceremoniously dumped. If it was a matter of me being a remote worker, I would have expected that to be something the company considered well in advance of hiring me and not something they'd change their mind on a month after I start.

The fact that the reasoning wasn't well elucidated and that this more or less came out of left field makes me suspicious as to the real reason why I was let go, and coupled with the non-disparagement and release of claims clauses in the separation agreement, I started wondering if I should get someone to look over the agreement before I sign it. The likelihood is that the company just changed its mind or something and it's just boilerplate though. :shrug:

This is hugely disappointing and I'm genuinely angry that the company chose this way and time to break the news, but honestly it's probably for the best. I don't know how much I can say about the company with this agreement thing, but I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to say I had a negative experience. I just don't want to be barred from saying that, and I don't feel comfortable signing something saying I can't.

and if it turns out that it's my own fault then i guess i deserve it :shepface:

I'm guessing the separation agreement doesn't give you any appreciable severance? Don't sign that.

I'm not doing this to be mean, but the core of your problems seems to be now repeatedly demonstrated fact that you don't know how to integrate and flow with a team. You need to try to integrate with the team's culture and adopt the team's practices whatever they are - even if you were coming in to manage that team, you would start from the same stance before trying to change anything. Concentrate on helping the team and others and good things will follow. Only after you're productive and well-liked do you try to do anything other than concentrate on how best to support the team.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

No, there's severance involved, "at the company's discretion" or whatever.

I won't deny that integrating with the team was difficult, but it went further than just me saying we needed better development practices - which if a team is resistant to, is a bigger problem than I know how to handle. And I understand that each team and company works differently, which is why I had specifically come in with the intent to integrate with the team and learn the codebase rather than come in and muck a bunch of poo poo up. It's not like I was in a position to do so anyway, given the distance and separation from the team. But I get your advice, I don't want to come in and change everything and I really hope that wasn't how I came off.

You'll want to get them to turn that severance into a specific number before signing, I'd think.

As a junior, or even mid-level engineer, pushing better development practices simply isn't your job at most companies. If it's more than a casual one on one with the lead saying "what do you think about this?" and accepting their answer (perhaps with some clarifications so you better understand their position), you are inherently causing problems. You just said at your latest position, they were "very resistant to change and modern practices." That you have approached the point where you have discovered they are "very" resistant is a red flag.

You're going to shortly be facing a problematic resume position because you haven't been able to hold down any job for very long, which may or may not just be an extended period of bad luck but is now going to start tending towards reflecting negatively on you and further limiting your options. I would encourage you in your next position to concentrate not on trying to bring beneficial change to the team as much as to contribute within the constraints given and ingratiate yourself to the team by helping others without causing more work or stress for anyone else involved.

In your latest position in particular, you should have been aware that long hours and poor work-life balance are common in startup culture, and being a self-starter and getting things done (which you have admitted to being bad at) is key to being valued. Throw in being remote on top of that, and even on paper it's a no-brainer why they let you go.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

If it's the norm in startups, then startups being run poorly is the norm. I guess I'm not cut out for startup life, and I know that about myself now. :shrug:

Yes, those are both the norm in startups. The general idea is that you get a lottery ticket plus incredible freedom to shape the product as long as your ideas pan out and you put crazy hours in, but you will be poorly supported and helped along the way.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it secures a serious funding round, a 48-hour coding binge where you scream at your co-workers, ignore all of the existing code, use notepad as your IDE, only save your work to a single USB flash drive from 1995, and pass out in the closet covered in vomit is worth more to (some) startups than any amount of best practices. It's kind of like being in sales.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
W-2 through an agency is fairly often not temp work, but mid to long term contract work. My first job was at such a place, took salary from 40k to over 100k over four years at the same client and springboarded my career fairly well.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

My psychiatrist prescribed me Wellbutrin a couple of weeks ago for focus and some mood stabilization, which helped me a little bit, and just prescribed me some Adderall to see how it works out.

Just took it for the first time in my life, and HOLY poo poo. It felt like I was able to focus for the first time in my life. Is that what it feels like to be normal? Anyone know how prevalent its use is in industry?

Because god drat, I'm just realizing now how my career might have been impacted by my persistent inability to sit down and sustain productivity on a single thing for a couple of hours. I've managed because of time pressures and a reasonable amount of skill, but I never could have imagined myself sitting down and focusing like this until today. Jesus Christ. I actually managed to multitask effectively.

That's the effect Adderall has on almost everyone.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And don't accept a promotion if there's nothing in it for you. You should have stopped the process right as soon as you found that fact out and demanded more money.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cancelbot posted:

I had an enlightening "why are you leaving" chat with our CTO, where I found out I was denied a promotion arbitrarily by my own manager (I needed 4 subordinates, not 3 to be a lead) and as the CTO put it: "I disagreed with this, but I can't meddle in their decisions, and was probably the thing that would have kept you. But [MANAGER] was stubborn about it". Which kinda stomps over the message my manager sent me recently: "we're sorry we couldn't have given you the progression you wanted".

1 week to go!

Out of curiosity, why do you believe the CTO over your manager?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That's fine, my point was that working with Scala absolutely helps in terms of they way you think about writing things in a Java style and the familiarity with many components of the ecosystem.

The only scala I've had to deal with is Gatling, but it's a real pain in the rear end. I love classic functional languages like LISP, but scala ticks all the wrong boxes for me. I don't like its readability, debugging and refactoring utils suck, and its API is prone to changes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kyth posted:

I also haven't seen evidence of "most POC and women devs are choosing to walk away" in any of the retention data for the several thousand engineers in the nearest groups around me, but obviously ymmv.

People who internalize the belief they are oppressed really hate to think they are actually being judged on their merits.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kyth posted:

I could happily post the long series of misogyny that has decorated my life in tech, but it's likely not worth my time if this is your takeaway from my post given everything that has happened in the industry.

Novel concept: it can be poo poo to be a not-white-male in tech and yet also able to succeed: it's just harder. Just because I run a team of several hundred engineers doesn't mean there's no sexism in the industry.

Google has been the best place to be a woman in tech in the 20+ years I've been working and I've still run into sexism here.

There's an internal list that shares stories of what women, POC, LGBTQ, etc folks experience to help show people that yes, even though Google is great, this poo poo still happens at Google and we need to all be better at preventing it.

Not my takeaway from your post, it's just that I believe that it's not healthy to start out with an attitude of assuming and looking for oppression that often doesn't exist. The incidence rate and severity matter a lot here to what I see as an often disproportionate response where, for example, a single inappropriate sentence uttered without thought wrecks otherwise excellent careers instead of being viewed as an opportunity for education, or where someone is constantly looking to take offense as a form of self validation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This may have gone over my head, can you please explain it? What I think you're saying is that, regardless of whether we are talking about literal slaves or people who have experienced microaggressions, the concept of a privileged/ruling class passing judgement on their merits is wrong?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you got roped into an all-nighter due to virtues such as toughness then it is the same. Now, if you did any of this for other reasons then sure, maybe it wasn't a toxic masculinity thing--for you that one time. It's just that it isn't as simple as a slider to value one type of person or another.

In the old days, we simply called that building character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vonnegutt posted:

As soon as there is a number attached to code coverage you get management trying to reward/punish based on that number. Never make an easily-measured number a proxy for code quality.

If upper management wants numbers, they will get their numbers. It's a reasonable way of differentiating people who know how to play a numbers and politics game versus those who rigidly just want good software. Why that is desirable is a very different and perhaps unanswerable question.