Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do I search for telecommuting jobs? I've always been willing to relocate before so I don't know where to start looking.

My wife is going through the final stages of getting offers from companies in Washington and Illinois so I can't apply to positions in either location because I can't promise I'd be able to move there and one of the cities is small enough I'd likely only be able to find something telecommuting anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

rt4 posted:

Answer technical questions before they sign the contract, provide the technical details of the sales pitch that the sales staff isn't qualified to describe, run demos, then help them get configured after they make the purchase. May include incentive pay for helping to sell larger products.

I'm already doing the post-signup part of this job, but we're reorganizing the workflow so the sales engineers handle the whole thing from initial contact to launching their application. They want me for this role, I think, because I have a decent grasp of the technology and a stronger capability (or desire) for things like leading customer-facing conference calls than the other support staff.

It mostly feels like getting paid to do softwarechat, so...yeah, I guess I do want this job.

The guys I worked with who did this ended up doing a lot of traveling and trade-show after parties. They seemed to enjoy it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Today’s update is boring. My new tech lead said even though he’s still new he’s very pleased that I’m on the team and has told Mr. Manager that many times. He also disclosed that Mr. Manager has asked him many times about me and he claims he told him he was very happy with me. I shared some of the things that happened yesterday and he was very taken aback. Then I asked him what I could improve on and we really didn’t have much beyond tips for dealing with Anus. He also said he’s had his PRs picked apart by Shithead and that Clownshoes lacks managerial skills and also lots of other poo poo, not that it really matters. He was pretty upset and asked me to at least see phase 1 through, I said “yeah sure I’m not gonna leave!!!!” because for all I know he could be a spy.

HR has a few potential options on other teams and already figured out why I’m asking. It’s going to be escalated to the top of HR.

gently caress this guy.

That all sounds pretty promising for what is still a lovely situation.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Where do you get your tech news?

I've been following ArsTechnica for several years, but this past year their reporting hasn't been as good as I remember it and their comments area has a much higher noise-to-signal ratio than it used to.

Hacker News has had some interesting stories over the years, but it doesn't really provide a good overview.

A couple of my coworkers like The Verge. What are goon opinions of it?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

RubberBands Hurt posted:

They usually ask the same question a few different ways to check consistency a bit.

My boss loved these as well, and sent a few different versions around to try and get some insight, but thankfully did not try and force anyone to post answers.

Look on the bright side, your boss wants to relate to you in a positive fashion and is willing to go at least a little out of his way to accommodate you.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Get a job somewhere that doesn't involve a 90+ minute commute.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Any advice for finding remote openings? I worked remotely for about a month over the holidays because the main offices were closed down and it was pretty nice. I got more done than usual too because I was able to get started right at 7:30 or however earlier I woke up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

God forbid a developer have like, a physical piece of hardware they need to test on. Unthinkable in the year 2018, must be evidence of outdated management processes.

Code entry, and therefore typing proficiency, is the limiting factor of the majority of development.

All my work at my last job was on embedded devices. (We made widgets, and watches, and cameras and all sorts of other things) and I worked with several people who were remote. It was never an issue. Just had to remember to ship them a test unit or 3 every so often. One of them was so good at staying in touch I kept forgetting he worked remotely until it was time to schedule the next round of HW deliveries.

Working on HW is not a meaningful impediment to remote work. The goal is to eventually ship thousands if not hundreds of thousands of your product after all. If the corporation is having a hard time shipping a single test unit they're going to have real trouble when it comes time to actually sell the silly thing.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 10, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey so you know what's fuckin' exhausting? Having to keep tasks lined up in front of a productive engineer. I'm four days into being mini-TL for this project and I feel like that claymation GIF of laying track directly in front of a locomotive.

Haha, yeah, it can be. It's a good problem to have though. Much better than the opposite problem. Time to teach them how to lay their own tracks. Give him/her responsibility for a big piece of the project and let him/her loose.

I try not to break tasks down below 1 week when I'm TL. A month is better. Let the engineers break their own tasks down into smaller pieces for you and then help anyone who seems to be having trouble breaking things down into no more than day-sized tasks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

Applying to a recruiter proactively seems to be the default method of applying when you do it through LinkedIn, which has been where I've been finding things to apply to for the past few months. There doesn't seem to be any difference in results between reaching out to recruiters or reaching out to employers.
Will PM.

Try searching on Monster too. For me half the results on each site are the same, but the other half are different. While you're at it, create a Monster profile - I get more contacts from people who saw my Monster profile than I do through linkedin.

Since you've been looking for awhile, it's probably worth jumping through all the hoops to set up a StackOverflow profile.

I'm in a contract position right now so I always keep one eye on the job market.

Edit: You might also give https://www.ziprecruiter.com/ a try. I strongly dislike almost everything about them, but they occasionally come up with something interesting that the other two missed.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 31, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've got an interview for a senior software engineer position tomorrow with a company that makes remote controlled cars/planes/boats etc. Sounds like it'll be about half mentoring (I've taught on and off so I'm confident about that) and half device driver writing which I'm less confident in. Any advice on interview prep for device driver stuff specifically? I think I'd feel less nervous if I had something to review before going in.

Also the interview is going to be at least 3 hours so that's something to look forward to.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 6, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

hendersa posted:

Good luck! :v:

JawnV6 posted:

What's the biggest layout differences between I2C/SPI, which one is faster, why do we use the lovely one anyway.

csammis posted:

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you for all your help! They asked me literally none of that :v: but I told them on the phone screen I usually worked on top of other people's device drivers so they may have felt inhibited.

I think it went really well. Lunch was 2 hours long which is a pretty good sign that at least my future potential boss liked me.

Hardest questions were from their project managers. Got asked to describe the end to end behavior of a joystick control and stumbled my way through it. Asked how I did afterwards and he said there was no right or wrong but I learned a few things from his answer for next time.

The other hard question I got asked was what I thought my job responsibilities would be; which I hate. Its the company's job to set expectations, not mine :argh: So I rephrased the question to asking about how I'd brought value to previous employers and talked about some big wins and savings my software/expertise had created in the past. Stuff that was mostly in my resume, but the more I interview the more I believe that nobody actually does more than skim the first 2 seconds worth anyways. One interviewer today actually misread the name of one of my previous employers in such a way that he thought I had experience in a totally different field :lol:

Weirdly, no whiteboard questions at all.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone want to give some advice on mentoring? I have a more junior coworker who's trying to transition towards the software ladder (from a somewhat less-technical ladder whose name I forget :sweatdrop:). They're basically getting dropped into the middle of a large codebase in a language (Typescript) that they've never used before, and they're struggling. Obvious things I can do include being verbally supportive, doing pair programming, answering questions, and checking in regularly to make sure they aren't blocked and/or despairing, but what else can/should I do?

Sounds like you're already covering most of the bases.

If I remember right, you assign work on your team? It would probably be helpful for them to be able to work in\with the same part of the codebase for awhile. Once they've got a good understanding of some part of the system they'll have a better basis for incorporating other pieces into their mental model.

Since they're working in a new language, introducing them to good references for that language in specific will probably help them alot. That way they can look up new things themselves. Since it sounds like they're new to programming they may not be familiar with more general sites like StackOverflow in which case you might want to give them that too.

Ideally typescript would have something like cppreference for c++, but I'm not familiar with typescript either so the best I could turn up in a few minutes with google was https://www.tutorialspoint.com/typescript/typescript_overview.htm

I think the team has good social dynamics, definitely they aren't being left out of lunch at least. I've sent them some code reviews of my work...haven't tried using them as a rubber duck though. Part of the difficulty there is that my primary domain is the backend, and they're looking at frontend code, so it's unlikely that any rubberduck-worthy problems I encounter are going to be comprehensible to them. I mean, that'd make them a great rubberduck for me because I'd have to break things down to a super-simple level...I just don't know how useful it'd be for them.

I think doing at least some rubber ducking would be helpful in giving them an opportunity to see how you work through problems. Pair programming is probably better for that, and if you're already doing that there may not be much to gain here.

You could also see if one of the other frontend guys is willing to help bring the transfer up to speed. Some of the places I've worked would pair engineers up in the same office with the expectation they'd help each other when they got stuck and then look for expert guidance if they were both stuck.

Maybe ask one of the frontend experts for suggestions on files that only have good code in them and can serve as reference points.

Right, my big concern is that they'll just keep to themselves and quietly fail because they don't want to bother anyone "more important". But on the other hand I don't want to be intrusive either.

You can keep track of their progress by watching for commits from them, this is really easy to do if you do code reviews but you can also just check every morning to see if they're making good progress or if you should stop by and ask what they're working on to give them an opportunity to ask for help or unstuck themselves by talking through what they're working on.

This also will give you opportunities to train them to make smaller, more manageable commits.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 8, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What's the typical way to calculate contract-to-hire hourly rates? A recruiter just pitched me a job they're looking to pay $30-$40/hour. Even $40/hour only works out to about $80,000/year and doesn't include any of the usual benefits like health insurance.

Also, it's a contract to hire position at a contracting company which seems... weird.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What are good ways to ask about company culture and project planning in an interview? I've had a couple of interviews for team leader or senior engineer positions lately and have been getting back pretty generic answers so I think I'm not phrasing my questions effectively.

A great list of questions was posted the last time we discussed how to look for red flags during an interview (or maybe it was in the agilefall/newbie thread) but I haven't been able to find it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 22, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a nice list of algorithm bullshit problems online that doesn't require signing into something? I have the prospect of a few interviews coming up. Previously, I seem to not have impressed people with finding the super-duper-most-efficient way of detecting anagrams or whatever and I need to brush up.

For what its worth, in my last interview when I offered to provide a better algorithm after giving the brute force one they said the brute force was all they really wanted and we moved on to the next question. You might want to try talking through your thought process while practicing algorithm stuff. A lot of places (in the midwest at least) seem more concerned with hearing the solution process than getting an optimal final result.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

geeves posted:

So my coworker has pretty much grown his own family tree of old subordinates over the last few months (quick note: 2 have been here for 2.5 years). He's only brought in 4 people over the last three months to interview and pretty much made it clear he was only interested in hiring people he's managed before. He's brought in zero female candidates saying they weren't qualified enough, this is even after I audited their code and resume.

Then he brings in this Skeletor-looking nutsack this week. We actually interviewed this travesty of a human 3 years ago and there were red flags galore. We actually interviewed him for my coworker's position and he couldn't pass a simple code test. It wasn't anything major, we gave him a Fibonacci problem. He sat there for 5 minutes, in complete silence staring at the screen, even after we asked him what he was stuck on, etc. and said, "Let's work on this together and figure it out." Then he just pushed the laptop away and said, "I pass."

This week, I gave him a different problem - still just as simple - and the amount of handholding my boss and I had to do to get him through 15 lines of code was astounding. He has 13+ years of experience. The rest of the interview he sat around like he already had the job. Overall it was a very weird and awkward hour.

It gets better.

Two VPs interviewed him - just quick 15-minute meet and greets - and he told one of them that he had anger issues in the past.

I actually knew this as my coworker and two other members of his tree joked about this guy and his anger issues.

Coworker replied to the VP and said, "Yes, I actually fired him for that in the past because he blew up on somebody. But he's worked on it and is okay now."

Everyone but my coworker was uneasy about this guy, but yet he gets an offer. What the gently caress. I know we've had it rough finding talent in the city, but to slum it like this.

Basically everyone was overruled and the offer went out. gently caress. He has 13 years of experience and is getting an offer as a junior dev.

We're still a small team and we've had a couple of bad employees already over the years (that we got rid of thankfully). Hopefully he won't pass the background check.

Ahh, sour, sour empire building. How I haven't missed you.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Code comments like these are how you know you are working with reliable professionals

code:
// handle maillog bs
I, of course, have been tasked with copying the mail log logic to another page. That is the entirety of the documentation for the feature.

By copying I obviously mean I plan to abstract it out into functions which can be invoked everywhere it is needed instead of just blindly pasting and doubling the maintenance needed in the future.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

code:
/********************************************************
No Comments are necessary for this. <CTO's three letter initials>
********************************************************/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Looking for some feedback on my resume. I tried to inline my language and technical skills with their relevant tasks and job experience to make space for more work experience examples.

I've worked primarily in embedded devices and for family reasons have moved to an area without any companies that need embedded developers. So I'm primarily applying to remote work, most of which is CRUD and web-based it looks like which I'm happy to do. I took a semi-local job with a company that makes a CRUD app to be able to put something on my resume that's shows I can do that kind of work. Is it better off at the bottom of my job experience list since its the position I've had that involves the least responsibility and is least impressive; or if it needs to be at the top to highlight that I've done the kind of jobs I'm applying to before?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

csammis posted:

I'm doing an interview via Google Hangouts and HackerRack next week...never done one of these "on line" coding things before :corsair: This is for a firmware engineering position so I'm even less certain what to expect. Isn't HackerRank testing primarily geared towards basic algorithms?

It also has a reasonably accessible in-browser IDE which is all the interviewer is using it for. It's kind of like remoting into their PC and typing in an IDE of the interviewer's choice but without all the pesky security issues that would raise.

I'd suggest trying a few problems in whatever language the interview is going to be in. Not for the problems, but to get used to the error message you get back. They're often more cryptic than what you'd get in a non-browser IDE for that language.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Trying to come up with excuses for taking time off to interview is the loving worst.

I like the idea of a Full Time Remote job, but I fear for my productivity / employment stability.

How do you guys keep yourself focused when working from home?

I've never had a problem staying focused as long as there was something to do, but this is what I've heard from colleagues who work from home:

It helps to have a room you can work in that is not the same room as your personal PC or entertainment systems. An office that you only use for work is best. If you really don't like working from home, there are co-work locations/businesses that will rent you an office or cubicle. From what I've heard, its a lot like going into an office except most of the other people there work for other companies. Alternatively, you can work out of your local Starbucks or other coffee shop. Your local library would probably be fine with you camping out there too as long as you are quiet (I do this sometimes).

It helps to keep a regular schedule. Start and stop work at the same time every day and similarly break for lunch at a consistent time. Don't get in the habit of snacking all day.

Do try and be more visible on whatever IMs your company uses. It helps reassure people you are working (my current boss is remote and is always afk on our IM service. It drives me nuts and more than once has wasted half a day).

Promptly answer emails. If you're asked a question that will take more than half an hour to answer, let the person know that you're looking into it. If you are otherwise tempted to slack off, this gives you a time commitment.

Set personal goals for what you want to accomplish at the start of every day. (I do this when I work in the office too and it not only makes me more productive but also helps counter boredom when I'm working on something stupid or pointless).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

minato posted:

- There was rarely incentive to act on the follow-ups. Everyone goes to the post-mortem meeting, they identify the root causes, they make tickets to fix the causes, and get the warm fuzzy feeling that progress is made... and then those tickets are de-prioritized and never get acted on, because "that outage was a one in a million chance", or they're understaffed, or it's too much effort to Fix It The Right Way.

The places that I've worked at that did post-mortems also usually had the action items as high priority tasks. At worst they were treated as must-address items in the planning for the next sprint.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, since I still don't feel like a real programmer, but I did stumble into a senior programmer position at my tiny company a few months ago. I spent 3 years with a low level title, teaching myself a lot about databases (both admin and analysis) and becoming the de facto company expert on the expensive DBMS they licensed from Oracle. Having put out quite a few fires in my time and establishing myself as niche employee, they were keen to have me stay when I announced I had gotten an offer at a larger company. I was satisfied enough with their counter to stay, and wasn't really ready to change too much in my life anyway after recently losing my dad. In the grand scheme, though, I'm pretty unsatisfied career-wise and kind of over working full-time. I don't feel secure with my programming skills/knowledge and want to go back to school. Also, the industry I've fallen into (pharm research) is kind of stuffy and dominated by people much older than me, and I don't know if I want to work in it much longer. Finally, I want more time to pursue hobbies (art, music) and other activities that may or may not relate to my pipe dream of creating an indie game on my own.

Prior to getting the offer, I was already desperate to quit and go back to school for a CS degree. My first degree is in environmental science, and my alma mater makes it very easy to return for another. I just have to take a handful of community college pre-reqs before transferring. In fall, I only managed to get one class (at night), so I kept working normally. Now the next semester's coming up, I'd like to take more classes, but some are only offered during the day. Ideally, I'd start working part-time/hourly while using the newfound time for classes/hobbies. I'm pretty confident the company will do whatever they can to keep my services, since I'm kind of an "oh poo poo" button for them and like solving problems. Also, I'm not so concerned about money, since I've saved a decent amount and will be moving back in with my mom for a while.

Anyway, I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. I assume if things work out with my job, I'll still have a lot of free time outside of class and will want to self-teach, but it always overwhelms me where to start. I always describe my programming knowledge as fragmented. I know enough where I don't need to start at the bottom, but probably skipped a lot of pretty fundamental things for serious programmers. I mean, I've never used Git and rarely use fancy text editors, but I've built some pretty sophisticated macros. This is a large part of why I want the formal foundation of a degree and to feel less like a sham.

So I guess to ask an actual question, what should I be doing to get a head start teaching myself how to be a real programmer, especially if the direction I'm looking to go is in software development? Alternatively, you can roast me about my life choices/naivety regarding my career.

We're all imposters who are faking it here. I've yet to have a job that didn't mean relearning almost everything all over again. Even if I know the language going in, every company has always had its own libraries they've built up over the years and weird idiosyncrasies. Having a CS degree has maybe opened one door for me in my entire career and I can count on my fingers the number of times the things I learned at college but my self-taught colleagues don't know has been relevant.

As you've discovered a good DBA is hard to find, and I think they make about the same as a programmer so I don't think switching to programming is really in your interests.

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to expand your skillset. If you want more practice being a developer, a good place to start is by automating any of your tasks at work. It'll save you time in the long run and its good practice. I like to use bash and python for stuff like that. You can learn most of what you need by googling around.

If you just want to get started coding https://www.learnpython.org/ has some good, quick tutorials. The same site covers several other languages. Udemy is also well thought of.

You'll probably get better replies in the newbie thread. A lot of us post in both but your more likely to find someone who has a list of tutorial links there. The second post in the op has a ton of links to options to learn.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

[*]Confusingly-named variables
[*]Comments that assume you already have context on the problem the code is solving.
These are endemic problems everywhere I've ever worked. Not just junior developers but even my fellow code-reviewers don't do well at these parts of the job. If someone has to get their code past me I can get them to start writing good comments in 12 - 18 months, but its a long, slow process. I'm always on the look out for other things I can point at to help them realize it is important. Do you have any links or guides you could recommend?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

3% is usually a pay cut when accounting for inflation.

3% keeps you just ahead of inflation in USA for the last decade: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/ If you live on the coasts it may not be keeping up with the cost of living though. I'm not sure where to look for those numbers.

I agree its not a raise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

On a related note, how do you get your teammates to do more rigorous code reviews? Because those not-really-ready change lists are getting a pass from other teammates despite glaring flaws.

The one place I've seen this done well code review was a privilege, not a right. Before you were given permissions to sign off on a code review you had to get all of your code reviewed by at least 2 more reviewers than usual and it had to consistently pass without change requests from any of them for at least a week. When there weren't enough reviewers on the team (common) we'd ask for help from other team's reviewers. Took most devs about 6 months to get to the point where they were consistently submitting mistake free code. New code reviewers were also on informal probation and provided check lists of common issues to look for and were mentored by the other reviewers double checking their reviews and walking them through anything they missed for the first few weeks.

This isn't failing to hew to specs. But, uh, some examples...
  • code:
    for x in y:
      if z:
        <entire rest of for loop>

(where it'd be preferable to say "if not z: continue" to avoid excessive indenting)
  • Skipping writing tests, and pulling the old "I'll write the tests after this gets checked in" when they get called on it.
  • Excessively over-extended functions (well over 100 lines long when there are clear points where they could be decomposed)
  • Confusingly-named variables, and variables and functions that shadow other ones in the same scope
  • Lists that should be sets, tuples that should be structs / named tuples, multiple arrays that have to be kept in sync (using the same index in each to access different aspects of the same data) rather than a single array holding a complex datatype.
  • Throwing together six unrelated things into one gigantic change instead of breaking them out into smaller ones.
  • Comments that assume you already have context on the problem the code is solving.
  • Declaring a boolean as foo = False if bar else True. This one always makes me sad to see.

For the most part these don't on their own represent huge problems. I very rarely have to say "no, stop, this is a fundamentally wrong approach." But I end up with like 20-30 nitpicks and requests for changes and clarification even on relatively small changes. What worries me is that they don't seem to be getting better at this: I'm seeing the same categories of mistakes being made repeatedly by the same people.

I dug up a couple of links I think are good external sources I would sprinkle into code reviews to help convince devs that this stuff is important.
Generally style rules: https://google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html - You may recognize this one.

Variable naming advice: https://hackernoon.com/the-art-of-naming-variables-52f44de00aad

Some good pithy advice links including my favorite: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." ― John Woods
http://codewithawa.com/posts/10-most-badass-quotes-about-programming
https://medium.com/cygnis-media/20-fantastic-quotes-to-shed-light-on-application-development-12542402a2eb

Remind devs who are slow to write tests that they'll have to maintain the code later, and then follow through. I like to give devs, especially junior ones, features to own and then make sure they get assigned any bugs or changes there so they can learn from their mistakes.

I don't have a good link handy for devs writing huge functions (If I have to correct it more than I few times I let them do it their way and then require them to maintain it and that cures them quickly enough) but this looks good: https://www.toptal.com/software/single-responsibility-principle

[*]Throwing together six unrelated things into one gigantic change instead of breaking them out into smaller ones.
This is one of the easier things to fix in my experience; just don't let big patches get committed. If they put one up for review send it back with instructions to break it up and no other comments. You also said they're pretty junior so you'll have to show them how to do this the first few times. This also happens less if your process breaks projects down into tasks that shouldn't take more than 4 hours. Things explode sometimes, but decomposing tasks before writing any code helps a lot with keeping scope in check.

For commenting I like to say that I can read what the code does, but I need comments to tell what you think it is doing and what it should be doing. It sinks in and eventually they start writing more useful comments. Another trick is to encourage them to write the comments before writing the code. Essentially stepping through what they want to accomplish. I do it myself sometimes when I'm doing something tricky and need to think through an algorithm. Usually gets you cleaner and more efficient code too.

You can find some really good talks that get posted to youtube and other places from Developer conferences. When I was at Garmin I'd take over a conference room every other week and invite any devs who wanted to come watch a talk. Unfortunately I left all the links I'd collected behind when I moved.

Overall though, if those are the worst problems you're seeing I'd say you've already done a great job so far. The only one I'd be upset in seeing in a junior dev is the no tests thing, and several other people have already suggested process improvements to catch that before you or another human looks at it. I don't know how many times I've had to tell people that untested code isn't finished code though. Even if you have a robust QA team, devs should be testing happy paths and any likely failure points because bug's get more expensive the later they're found (there's lots of research on this, but here's a site with a pretty graph https://www.isixsigma.com/industries/software-it/defect-prevention-reducing-costs-and-enhancing-quality/)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

GeorgieMordor posted:

Does anyone have favorable things to say about working with a technical recruiter? Like, an actual...human.

They sometimes have access to job openings you as a mere individual don't. Some of them are pleasant to work with.

You should still do your own job search. No one else is going to be as invested in securing you a new job as you are.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Careful Drums posted:

Just occurred to me, I should brush up on employment law in other states. Does anyone know any resources for such a thing?

Legal questions thread can probably help.

What do you do to find remote jobs? I've mostly been using https://www.workingnomads.co/jobs

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Forgall posted:

Is whiteboard coding a common thing now or is it mostly at big tech companies? I've never encountered it and I don't think I could do that not matter how much I prepare.

I've seen it in about 90% of my interviews for embedded and full-stack positions. I'm in the mid-West, USA.
Every financial institution I've interviewed at had a couple whiteboard questions.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

cynic posted:

Oh and NOONE we interviewed knew the difference between POST and GET.

My current CTO, unfortunately, puts all the data in the URL for POST messages. Pretty sure he doesn't know the difference either.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

runupon cracker posted:

I've been a lead/management level developer for years now, and my current position is Software Development Manager. I do functional management part of the time, but I'm also developing on projects as my expertise is needed. My SO and I are currently living in the Atlantic provinces, and we're looking to leave our geographic location for a place that a) pays more (around here we get ~60-70% of industry standard) and is b) less dying.

In addition to looking for work directly in the city we're aiming for, I'm also looking at remote positions, because hell yes I want that flexibility, if possible.

The problem I appear to be having is that most of the positions that appeal to me and/or are actually remote are straight-up development positions, not management. I get the feeling that I'm being overlooked for these because my current title is management-specific. I've contacted ~~~RECRUITERS~~~ in cases where I fulfilled not only the position requirements, but also all the nice-to-haves, and been completely ignored. Without getting any response at all, I can only guess, but I get the feeling they see that title and stop reading.

Any advice?

If you've actually been doing development work, change the title on your resume to Software Developer and let your references know to talk up your technical leadership. You want your resume to emphasize relevant work experience. Just like you don't include the times you worked retail on a software engineer position you don't include management experience when applying to be an individual contributor and there's not much value in including individual contributor experience when applying to a management position.

I've never yet met a manager who also wrote good code, even if they used to before changing tracks; so I'll agree your title and maybe any management experience in your resume is likely working against you.

Don't get discouraged. Especially when trying to land your first remote job it is going to take some time.

Consider linking an anonymized resume here or in the newbie thread to get feedback.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Steve French posted:

In other words, your problem is people like this guy

Not really. I prefer to extend people the benefit of the doubt. I've seen otherwise good developers lose their edge from spending all their time in meetings and managing schedules, but I've never seen anyone try to switch back to an IC role. I've no reason to think getting back into coding every day wouldn't sharpen their skills back up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

this is bonkers, to mee

My first couple of jobs dating back to before college was IT and website design. Nobody ever seemed even a little bit interested about that work experience when I was applying to embedded software positions so I took it out to put in more details from more recent jobs. Space on a resume is at a premium and you want to use that space as well as you can.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Careful Drums posted:

fuuck yes landed Seattle remote gig for 20% pay increase :woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

Congratulations!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Got an offer for $115 in Chicago, which would mean relocating. It is a fully open plan office, not even cubicles. Kind of looks like a cafeteria but with some seriously nice monitors. Unfortunately, the position is for a different one than I applied for. While I'd get to work with some technologies I'd like to get more experience with, they aren't the tech that is most likely to let me work from home, which is my long term goal. I know I don't want to stay where I am (I'm not learning anything here and I'm underutilized), but I'm not sure if I want to take the offer or keep looking when its been 3 months since I started applying. It's going to be hard to decide between relocating for an incremental step towards where I want to be and staying pat in hopes of finding something either closer to home or a better fit for my long term career goals.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 8, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm about ready to move on from my current position. I've gotten tired of not having effective immediate leadership and I don't really think there's scope for me to advance my career here. I have a potential in on a mature team with a good mix of experienced devs and newbies, doing a lot of data warehousing, slicing along different axes, exposing data for analysts, etc. In that respect it's pretty similar to my current job, just bigger and more established. The one potential stumbling point is that for the past ~decade I've been working adjacent to the life sciences, writing software to be used by scientists for their research. This position would be basically pure software; the data's all just business application stuff. So I'm a little worried that I won't find it motivating.

I guess I don't really have a question as such, but if any of y'all have any opinions or insight, I'd like to hear it.

Personally I've always been more interested in solving the problem than what the problem is (as long as its ethical). So I find the team culture to be a larger contributor to my average happiness than interest in the problem domain. Even with that said, there have been days where I find it very difficult to motivate myself to get out of bed or do anything because I feel like what my work is being used for doesn't matter. If you've previously hung most of your job satisfaction on solving important problems you're going to need to find new ways to motivate yourself at a minimum.

I'm kind of surprised you're asking this though. From your other posts I thought you were pretty happy with what you were doing for Google and you're usually asking for advice on how to improve your abilities to provide technical leadership. I wouldn't have thought you'd hit a wall in your career right now. You should ask yourself if you're considering making a permanent change in response to a momentary issue.

On the other hand, its definitely worth considering the long term. Thinking back on it, when I was at Garmin one of the six teams in the department ended up providing something ridiculous like 80% of the people who got promoted to management or architect type positions. If the new manager you're thinking of switching to has a good record of mentoring people for the career track you want, that might be enough to keep you motivated and engaged even if aren't excited about what your work is being used for.

I realize I suggested you both stay pat and make the switch but without knowing your exact situation it's hard to give advice. I'm considering a job change right now too so I sympathize with the decision your going to have to make.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The Dark Wind posted:

Question for you oldies: How important is your current experience vs previous experience for a job? Not exactly sure how to phrase this, but here's an example I'm thinking of:

Say that a few years ago you worked at a place that was really focused on React and other front end work. After that you started working at a place mainly doing back end work, maybe in Java or Python or something like that. Now, you're looking at positions again because you want to go back to working in react. Would employers count the the few years outside of the react world against you, or would the simple fact that you can list jobs/projects in the past that used that technology be enough to have employers be interested in you?

I'd say that I get asked about my past jobs in interviews about 95% of the time. It may be that only people that are willing to count less recent work experience are interested in hiring me though; its not like there's a good way for me to tell.

A lot of the initial screens only ask about x years of experience. I've seen many more job postings asking for 5 years of experience in a language than I've seen asking for recent experience.

If you're going to be whiteboarding in React it is a good idea to do some prep in that language to give yourself a chance to remember it in a lower stress situation than an interview.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Are there any goons who have or know of positive workplaces that use an open office layout? Everything I've read about open offices suggest they're terrible and I'm tempted to consider it an automatic hard pass when interviewing at new companies. Maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake though. I've worked in a cubicle farm once and it wasn't too bad, although my coworkers having political debates 3-4 times a week was pretty distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Uhh Nope posted:

What should my strategy be if a company told me they want to fly me across the country to visit (and, probably, give me an offer if that goes well) but neither of us have named a number for salary yet?

Two phone screenings ago they said "between x and x+$30k" but this time they said "we won't be able to give you more than x+$30k" then asked me what number I had in mind (which I managed to avoid answering).

I do have a number, in that range, which will probably force me to say no to an offer if they don't give me at least that. Unless they change their mind or are just biding their time it sounds like they're going to arrange to have me fly out, what I want to avoid is to fly out there just to hear a number I have to say no to.

Advice?

Anytime my number is in the range they give I just say the max of the range as my number.