Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I am like 75% sure I want to get a new job. My current company kind of sucks The owner refuses to hire an actual IT guy/SysAdmin/Helpdesk so I get stuck doing all of that at random times. Half the people in company have extremely unrealistic expectations for our software. They are also essentially refusing to replace a developer we recently lost while expecting the same results as before, that were already a little unrealistic. Benefits suck and are basically the barest minimum, pay isn't terrible, but it certainly doesn't justify the terrible benefits and low job satisfaction.

I've decided that I what I want is:
Better benefits.
Equal or better pay.
Not being stuck doing IT work.
At least one person above me in software development.(Not reporting to sales, owner, etc directly by default)
Actual structure. I currently have no deadlines, no enforced process for reporting problems, no yearly reviews, nobody above me, no real HR, nothing other than goals that I pretty much have to define for myself.
More than one or two developers maintaining the entire codebase. I hate the feeling that even when things are going well, I could be left "holding the bag".(Which has happened twice now)

I feel like these are not unreasonable at all.

That being said, here are my real questions:

I am looking to leave early to mid January at the earliest. Is it abnormal to apply to jobs now with that condition?

Should I take recruiters seriously? I've usually ignored/avoided them, but I talked to one somewhat recently and felt good about the idea of it all, I know their job is to make me comfortable with that though. Is there anything in particular to be wary of?

I am pretty sure on this, but the best idea is to not inform my company I am looking, correct?

Now a big one. I've been in a position where I have nobody above me. I end of doing the majority of the design and architecture work as well as translating vague ideas from managements or end users into actual working solutions. I'm also the one implementing a lot of it in the end. Even when my team was at it's largest, I was still implementing the features I considered most critical. Even with that, I never really had much mentoring. Of the two developers who were previously above, one was completely out of date and pretty much ignored everything after a month or so of me working there, and the other just pushed most of the system off on me and never even reviewed what I was doing. I basically ended up having to learn everything the hard way and it's hard to tell if I've learned things right. Because of this, I am very wary of applying to "Senior" level positions even though I think I am at the point where I fit some of them pretty well on paper. Is there a good way for me to determine if I am right to be wary of these positions? I can never tell if my concerns are justified or if I just have a case of impostor syndrome. Hell, part of the reason I want to leave is that I feel it would finally answer that for me.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'll send applications/resumes later today then. There are plenty of fresh job ads as recently as yesterday afternoon. I saw two that I particularly liked from the ad/company reviews.

Che Delilas posted:

The standard advice here is to apply stuff that you aren't qualified for on paper. Because job postings are big wish lists from the company, written by HR drones who talked with the leader of the dev department for 2 minutes at best (and at worst working from a list of all the technologies used at the company, however rarely). I don't care how strongly worded the job posting is. "ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED SKILLS" still only means that it'd be nice if you had that skill.

For you specifically, my advice would be to apply for jobs that look interesting and challenging (again, this means you shouldn't know a bunch of stuff on the job posting, and fewer years of experience than they list is also fine). When you interview, observe and ask questions about their development process. Try and get a feel for how you would fit into the team, including just asking what your role in the team would be. It's not science; you're going to have to use your best judgement to determine if a given environment is going to be what you want. But don't make that judgement too early - just apply.

Yea, as far as listed qualifications I was always under the impression that a lot of the positions were listed with exact qualifications of someone who previously held the position rather than actual hard requirements. I've noticed that some even put emphasis on wording that the requirements are for the "ideal" candidate rather than being hard requirements. Ideally, I'd be looking for a job where the Microsoft/.Net stack is part of the core requirement, but would let me work outside that from time to time. For instance, at my current job I really enjoy when I get to work with Javascript/AngularJS for my front end work, just because it's different than the other stuff I normally work on.

Hadlock posted:

If you want to leave mid January you should have started looking two weeks ago.

Nobody is going to do any hiring between now and January 1. Nobody is in the office due to Thanksgiving, and the long weekends leading up to Christmas and New Years. Even if you wanted to start earlier, they probably wouldn't even let you start before January 11th or so, once they have their books balanced.

Well hopefully I haven't completely missed the boat then. :(

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 18, 2015

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Skandranon posted:

If you think you want to work with more front-end stuff like AngularJS, then put that in there. I switched from mid-front tier C# to full on front-end in TypeScript/AngularJS a year ago and have not been happier in my work since.
I really do enjoy AngularJS, but currently I don't feel like I am quite at the point where I could really justify myself on AngularJS or javascript alone. I am pretty interested in one job I saw that was looking for somebody who could work on both asp.net MVC/Web API and AngularJS in addition to some other usual suspect type requirements for a .net shop. I am comfortable with the former, and really interested at getting better with the latter.

Che Delilas posted:

Heh, a lot of the time it isn't even that accurate. It's the IT manager meeting with the HR drone and listing literally everything that the business uses, no matter the proportion or how well-covered any particular technology is (e.g., they already have enough frontend people), and the HR drone translating that into a job description that doesn't really encompass what the business needs from a candidate right now, even if anybody on earth met every qualification and the business was willing to pay $texas for that person (which is never in both cases).
Yea, a recruiter sent me a bunch of job descriptions last month. It was shocking how many looked like they were looking for swiss army knives. A lot of them I couldn't quite figure out what I would be working on, which is alarming.

Che Delilas posted:

How do you feel about the Pacific Northwest?

Maybe one day. I actually like the idea of moving up to Washington possibly. My GF wants to get out of state, but I am wary without big savings or a big job offer I feel secure in.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I made a Trello board to organize the companies I want to apply to.(Trello is basically an online Kanban board) I also submitted my application/resume to what I would consider to be my first choice of companies I saw with fairly fresh ads out. Barring immediate set up of interview with the first choice, I am going to submit more this weekend.

Dogcow posted:

I love the descriptions that are some fairly standard ASP or Java plus front end whatever and then oh yeah also some :wtf: extremely domain specific big data poo poo or hilariously obscure enterprise platform :rolleyes: that you should have 5 years experience in.

Why yes mr. company man I'm so very passionate about ShitBagel 2.0 eCommerce Synergy Platform development..

If I ever have to place an ad for a developer again, I am going to demand 3+ years experience with our in house software.

Also related, I've avoided ads mentioning random eCommerce platforms in the past. It seems like a good way to waste a lot of potential time and experience on a very small niche. Maybe it's just me. Everyone I know that worked in those kind of environments never stayed long.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
New question. Two of the places I am looking at request available copies of any non-disclosure or non-compete agreements, even if aren't necessarily relevant. I have existing ones with my company. Is there a subtle way of asking for something like this without tipping them off that I am looking elsewhere? I was thinking of just asking for copies of everything I have on file and trying to frame it as me getting my life organized and cataloged.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Urit posted:

You should have gotten a copy with your signed employment papers. If not, you can always frame it as that - "I didn't get a copy of the NDA I signed when I joined the company, and I'd like to have it for my records".

Yea, I'm just gonna go with "Hey, I just realized I have no copies of any of the things I signed when I started here. Could I get some?".

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Ithaqua posted:

or really bad managers that they keep moving to a place where their awfulness won't be as much of a liability. Or promoted. :sigh:

Promote them so high up they can't do any more damage!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Later today I have my first interview since I started looking for a new job. It has been 5 years or so since my last interview, so this is terrifying. Doesn't help that this is probably my top choice of the companies I've applied to and I am under the impression their interview may be difficult.

I've been doing a decent amount of preparation, but am still more nervous than I've been in a long time.

On the bright side, I have a few other companies interested, and another that already has an in person interview scheduled, so this isn't all or nothing at this point.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Plorkyeran posted:

100% of the personal gifts from bosses I've received have been followed up with "you deserve a big raise, but..."

My current boss has been acting extra nice and cool to me at work lately. I assume this is so he can act all chummy when he says "Well I really like you and you do great work, but it's just not in the budget". Luckily for him, I will probably voluntary remove myself from his budget in the next month.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Either I am really good at the whole resume, application, interview process or employers are really desperate for developers around here. I applied 4 places got 4 phone interviews, 3 in person interviews and, and 3 offers all of which were better than my current position and one of which was 30% more than my current salary and higher than my asking price.

I guess it could be both? Either way, thank you to the posters who responded with tips and advice earlier. I will be accepting one of the offers this Monday and am quite happy about it.

Now I gotta figure out how to convince my current boss that they should try to hire an actual IT guy to do the IT part of the job or they will just be going through the same thing a year from now when my replacement how bad that situation is.

Is acting as a SysAdmin/Helpdesk/DBA/Developer/etc all in one position something you can realistically find a qualified person for? In my case I was hired to do the software, but had the other stuff dumped on me over time. What would the market rate even be for a position like that in a place like Ohio? Title? If my current employer isn't hostile or mean during my exit process, I plan to help them at least start hiring a replacement.(Unless they insist on doing the dumb thing and trying to dump it all on the remaining dev)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My favorite was a 3 month contract position for working with PHP. At the time the only things on my resume were all .Net stack stuff on the desktop/server end and no web development. As a bonus it would have involved moving to loving New Jersey of all places.

I also got another one offering a 1 month contract with the vague description of "Cleaning up Active Directory and Team Foundation" for some company. It was still described as a "Software Developer" position, despite there being very little chance of writing any software other than maybe some scripts to automate the tasks. That one was also well out of my State.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Ithaqua posted:

New Jersey is awesome outside of the NYC-adjacent northeastern parts and the Philadelphia-adjacent southwestern parts.

Here is your helpful guide to New Jersey:

It was more about moving states away for a 3 month contract gig. Not sure where it was exactly anymore, but if those circled areas are the major population centers, I'd bet it was there.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I am a bit over a year at my current company and I am wondering whether or not I want to stay long term. Part of me is thinking I am being too negative, too critical, or have unrealistic expectations. The other part of me remembers that I waited way too long to leave a bad work situation before.

This is some :words: but I am in a rambling mood.

Bad
I was hired to do software development, but we really don't do the kind of development I expected. Most projects I've seen are just configuration and customization of pre-built software the company bought. Usually these customizations are making systems do things they are not meant to do or reinventing features that already exist. I know some people make whole careers out of this kind of work, but it's not really what I want to do nor does it really match my skill set. I've carved out a niche working with a few components where I get to write actual code consistently, but I still find the work boring and find my skills under utilized. I think I might just want to work somewhere that builds full applications.

A promised bonus was very underpaid. It wasn't in writing, it's not like I am suing to get paid, and I knew this could happen, but it's just the principal of the thing to me. I was not alone and a large number of people were put in this situation.

Related to the last one, there is definitely isn't any kind of annual raise process I know of. I have yet to ask for one. I plan to ask for a least a minor inflation bump soon, but am dreading doing it as I've been told by people that you don't get them without another offer for more. I don't know this firsthand though, so I am hoping it's wrong.

The overall culture seems to have been going downhill. The overall feel when I started was that it was a fun, energetic place to work. More recently, things have been increasingly negative. I can't put a finger on what really causes it. Maybe it's just me losing the rosy, new-job glasses. This is loosely supported by looking at the company's glassdoor profile and seeing a pretty significant decline in average rating and general increase in negative reviews.

Nothing is standardized. Everyone seems to be on their own processes for meetings, tasks, project management, hours, communication etc. Even where there are processes established, they seem to get blown up frequently.

Good
I really like the people on my team and my manager. I get along with everyone I work with.

While the culture has been going downhill, it's still nicer than some jobs I've worked or stories I've heard.

Salary and benefits are okay, could be better, but not at the point where I'd leave over that alone.

I really never have to work especially long hours. Occasionally, maybe monthly, I work a few extra hours to meet a deadline or have to put in some off-hours work to handle a release, but generally I am working 8 hour days.

Am I being unreasonable about feeling unhappy with work lately? Am I just complaining about normal problems everyone tends to deal with in development?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Arachnamus posted:

Sounds like you're bored but comfortable. That's a sticky tar trap combination because comfortable means easy, but easy means you're not learning.

I'd say that's pretty accurate. Nothing is really challenging and I rarely get to "make" anything or learn anything new. The most challenging tasks aren't challenging because they are complex or difficult problems to solve, but because they are long and tedious. At times I find my self deliberately over-engineering solutions to mundane problems to try to make the work interesting.

More complex and interesting custom development has actually been turned down because we are "too busy" working on these pre-built systems. Trying to get more interesting work, I created a demo of what could be made custom in lieu of buying a pre-built product for an upcoming project. They liked the idea and hired an outside consulting firm to do the development instead of utilizing the developers they already have. Apparently I'll get to "own" the product afterwards, but in my mind that's only slightly better than if they had just bought some pre-built product for it. It might even end up being worse depending on how the project itself goes.

Arachnamus posted:

Which would you prefer, easy OK money for a few years until the ship sinks, or jump ship now for more challenging climes but more risk?

The easy okay money would in the short term, but I feel like I'd really be sacrificing my long-term career if I wanted to be doing development. I really don't want to stagnate my career in the interest of avoiding all risk.

I almost want to go to my manager with "Hey, this isn't the kind of development I want to be doing. Is there anything else we could be doing?", but I've already done that before, in less formal ways. I'm worried that a more clear approach would starting a ticking clock on "Oh we need to replace wilderthanmild before he leaves on his own." without accomplishing anything.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 23, 2017

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Jose Valasquez posted:

It sounds like your company isn't really interested in doing the kind of development you want to be doing and you aren't really gaining skills that are going to translate into another company doing stuff you want to do, so you should probably start looking for a better job

ROFLburger posted:

This alone would be enough to motivate me to find a position somewhere else. If career growth has stagnated, it's time to move on. But that's just me :shrug:

Yea reading the replies and re-reading my original post, I think there isn't much reason to think I should stay unless a sudden miraculous change happens. I'm going tidy up my resume and start job hunting.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

csammis posted:

It's not an urban legend: sometimes the copy you sent to the company is mysteriously different when it makes it to the interviewer's hands. Thanks recruiters!

I was pretty upset about this when a recruiter did it to me. It wasn't even just the "oh hide contact info so they have to go through us to make the hire" but rather them editing, rewording, and reformatting things. It didn't help that it was downright worse and harder to read than my actual resume.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
How do I list a project on my resume if it never actually got released? I had a fairly large application I built using all of my key development skills that got the axe while it was nearly complete. The axe was unrelated to the application itself and was a result of a massive reorganization. It really is unfortunate considering it was maybe a third of the total work I've put in at my current job and I was pretty proud of how it was turning out.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

I can't imagine they'd pull out all the stops and actually fix things just because some individual contributor showed up with an offer in hand.

And even if they did, it's not a good thing that a company took until you were basically walking out the door to makes things right. If that's what it took once, that's probably what it will take every time in the future.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with fully remote positions? I live in an area where there aren't a lot of good development jobs that aren't a 45+ minute commute but the CoL is dirt cheap, among the lowest in the country. I was looking at fully remote development jobs recently and it seems tempting to start applying to them.

I have plenty of friends outside of work, so I wouldn't think the social part would be too rough. I'm mostly curious how hard the transition is with communication, meetings, day-to-day schedules, etc. Also, if there are any red flags for bad remote development jobs? Signs that a place may be a good place to work remotely? Maybe personal red flags that would tell me that I wouldn't be a fit for remote work?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even think of that jenky part of it. I didn't know that was them trying to get around the LinkedIn system. It seems like every recruiter message I get is like that, so I assumed it was normal.

My big issue is the large number of completely mismatched opportunities or flat out bait and switch stuff. Lately I've gotten a lot of "Hey I have this great Senior Something or Other position with a salary range of X to Y yearly. It's working in this cool industry with all these cool technologies. When could we talk?" And then they try to pitch some bullshit low level position maintaining some pile of outdated garbage for a crap company paying less than one third of X.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Some companies also just skip the whole "encouraging employees to leave good reviews" and "discouraging bad reviews" part and skip straight to astroturfing fake reviews.

I assume lots of companies do this, which makes it hard to trust Glassdoor. You can probably use the negative reviews to get a good idea of what's wrong with a company, but the overall star rating and ratio of good/bad reviews is probably worthless. On the other hand, a disgruntled employee or competitor could always grind out a bunch of fake negative reviews as well.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
How valuable is having experience at a big recognizable tech company like Microsoft, Amazon, etc?

I know there isn't a straight simple answer and even on my two examples the value is likely very different. The IT department at my previous company had a pretty big downsizing, including myself. I'm not hurting for money immediately due to decent savings and some severance pay. Prior to the downsizing I had been planning to apply to some of the major tech giants. If that didn't work out to more senior positions locally, as my previous company had no potential for growth in salary or role.

The downsizing has messed with my timeline a little bit. I panicked a little at first and started applying to local jobs, especially with a shocking number of recruiters knowing about my downsizing and contact info within hours of my termination. I have some decent opportunities here with even some solid lead and senior type positions. A few are trying to rush the process as much as possible.

Part of me still wants to apply and make a serious attempt at some major tech companies. Realistically that could take weeks to months compared to local companies that are trying to go from first contact to offer in less than a week.

Is it worth it to take the risk and pursue working at the larger companies? Is it silly to consider going after mid or even entry level positions with these kind of companies over more senior positions with local companies?

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 14, 2017

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Good Will Hrunting posted:

What risk is there in applying to jobs, other than your current employer finding out? And in the case ithey term you for it do you really want to work for a company like that?

I don't have a current job due to the downsizing mentioned. Sorry if that wasn't clear from the way I worded it. It's more the risk of spending a significant time without a job/passing up good local opportunities. It's also whether or not it's dumb to think about entry/mid level positions with those companies when I am working on more senior positions locally.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Eggnogium posted:

I think you'd be dumb to consider an entry level position. Those positions are for college hires, even at the big companies. Mid-level I can't say: how long have you been in the industry?

6 years and some change.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

mrmcd posted:

What if you wrote a manifesto though?

Gotta apply at Hatreon

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I'm in a weird spot career wise. This is more of a rant.

• I have 10 years experience in development, specifically with C#/.Net
  • I'm in a developer/manager role, including Project management and HR responsibilities managing several direct reports.
  • I'm a full stack developer with SQL development experience equal to my C# experience and maybe 7 years experience working with javascript/front end frameworks. Though I don't consider myself as skilled in either of those as someone who truly specialized in them.
  • I make ~$120k
  • This is at a mid-size company of >1000 <10000 employees

First off, I don't really like having HR responsibilities at all. I'm not bad at it, but I just feel very stressed trying to manage other people. Helping other developers is one thing, being responsible for their production is different. It's easy with some devs, but anybody could manage them, it's the problem cases that drive me insane. I also dread having to fire/discipline/hold back. Combine this with a lack of ability to offer any meaningful reward(raises and bonuses capped at 2%, promotions and additional raise requests are always rejected) and it's really crushing.

Second, from a project management perspective this role is not fun. Priorities change constantly. Seemingly pointless projects are blown up with promises made to clients. Most end up being rush jobs. Vendors are chosen poorly, often providing little benefit over existing in house solutions. Process is also extremely heavy, with a lot of emails going out making sure seemingly meaningless guidelines are being followed despite not really ever being documented. Resources are often tight, not just in development, but in analyst and QA spots as well. Often resulting in rushed requirements, rushed testing, and problems in production resulting from those. Some projects get project managers assigned to them, which is nice, and reduces some of this load. However, a lot of these projects

Third, I feel like my skills are stagnating. I'm not going to go too much into this, but I haven't really been able to add anything new professional experience wise in this position at all. Just more years overall.

Fourth, I really think that considering the role, my level of experience, etc I could get paid more to do less. I really prefer doing more hands on work, less delegation, and ideally little to no HR type management. But I don't know that for sure.

All these things combine to really crush motivation. I still get work done, but it feels like I need to drag myself to do it. I'm trying to up my own motivation by focusing more on tech debt projects where I can develop with new things to keep myself engaged, but priorities often prevent me from doing this as much as I'd like.

I think I might just need a change of scenery, and I've started looking around at other jobs. The market seems to be good right now, but it seems like it always is for developers. One thing throwing me off is all the remote jobs that seem to be available now, making it possible to consider a lot more positions rather than just be stuck with whatever is in my area. It almost feels overwhelming. I've been using Indeed to hunt, is there a better place, especially for remote? I'm generally trying to ignore/avoid recruiters, as my past experience with them hasn't been excellent. Is there a particularly good way to gauge salary nowadays, it really seems all over the board looking at advertised salary ranges. I know some of it is region based, but often within the same region it often seems nonsensical.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Blinkz0rz posted:

I always wondered if "publish or die" existed outside of academia.

I've seen job abs that required active participation in open source or like active personal projects on github.

So sort of?

Also, I read through the responses and feel confident the right move will be to find a different job, almost certainly getting a raise. I'm not permanently opposed to manager roles in the future, but my experience at this company has soured me a bit on it for now.

Now I need to start doing interview prep, tech screens practice, etc since it always feels like I need to refresh a million things so I don't feel like an idiot when I get asked about something I haven't used in years.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 4, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bingemoose posted:

Hey guys, this question may have been asked earlier.

I'm new to programming still doing tutorials but if I wanted to design an app that ran on both Android and Apple which would you recommend? Or would I be better off learning swift or objective c and Kotlin or Java?

Xamarin with C# is also a growing option. Also easier to port to Windows and MacOS that way if you have a need to do it in the future.

Edit: Just a disclaimer that I am not a Xamarin developer, I just work in the .Net space and have seen a lot more buzz about in the past years after it went open source.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 4, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
When I started at my current job, we had 3 developers who were women. Now we have only 1, despite the team having grown by 50%. I'm part of the hiring process, though there are multiple screens before me, and I haven't even seen a woman even come through there. So I dunno if there just aren't any applicants that are women, a bias earlier in the screening process, or something that makes women not interested in even applying here. A good chunk of our hires come from an outside recruiter, so it's always possible they have a bias in how they select candidates to send to us.

We have plenty of women working in tech adjacent stuff, our analysts, project managers, etc are almost exclusively women. That seems to be somewhat the norm based on my last couple jobs unfortunately. This sure seems to be a problem.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Stupid mouse, double post.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Google Oracle Amazon Twitter Salesforce eBay

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

FamDav posted:

anyone know what people mean when they say staff engineer at apple, given near as i can tell apple doesn’t have a position with that name.

This confused me too after 3 years not looking at new jobs.

It's essentially a "super senior". Above seniors, but below principal developers. It's becoming a standard step on the developer/non-manager ladder at a lot of companies from what I can tell.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Has Amazon always been this aggressive with spam emails for recruitment?

I'm now getting spam from them on 2 of my 3 personal emails as well as on my work email.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've also been seeing ads on literally every job board for them. It's really off putting because it feels like a massive red flag that any company so well known needs to be so aggressive about recruitment.

Also yesterday I had my first recruiter conversation in years. It was with a recruiter at a FAANG(Not Amazon though), and I was so nervous it was ridiculous. I think it really threw me off because I'm used to feeling a very different power dynamic with recruiters, where they are the ones selling me on the job, not the other way around. I didn't feel like I was explaining myself anywhere near as well as I typically do, so I hope I didn't talk myself out of the process.

Maybe I should have taken some normal podunk recruiter calls first instead of ignoring them, just to knock the rust off.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Some people love consulting firms, other hate it. I don't really have any experience working on one so I can't say much there.

However, I would be incredibly skeptical of any offer where I'd receive some reduced salary until some arbitrary time in the future. Is that specifically your salary(X), or is part of it some kind of thing where you get paid a base salary but when they bill a client you see a piece of that(Y), effectively making your pay X + Y?

Edit: Also I've had to update/learn skills on the job before, but never received reduced pay during that. I really think that's a red flag the more I think about it. Like I said, I've never worked for a consulting firm though, so maybe it's normal there?

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 26, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Personally I'm tempted to do that myself, but I'm worried about a dumb scenario where it becomes a ticking time bomb where my company actively tries to replace me while I'm still here and looking. I don't know if that's even a well founded fear, but it always slips into my mind with anything that can be searched anywhere.

I know LinkedIn has a feature to try to prevent my current company seeing me being open to roles, but my company somehow ended up with two company profiles on LinkedIn, so half my coworkers are in one and half are in the other. My boss is in one, my boss's boss is in another. The HR/Recruiters, probably the most likely to notice, seem to be pretty evenly split between the two also.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

Just turn it on and if anyone asks then pretend you don't know what they're talking about and you always get random people contacting you on LinkedIn.

Ironically saying "Oh God how did this get here I'm not good with computer" might be an effective strategy. More effective than being honest at least.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

I've had places pull that poo poo at offer time. "Well with, Salary, Bonus, 401k matching, insurance, ride-share assistance brings the TC to..."

I remember the first time I ever started looking for a new job a recruiter trying to use total comp like this. Trying to tell me that anytime I hear a higher salary for developers it's because they aren't mentioning they are talking total comp. His definition of total comp included, all your PTO converted to cash(regardless of if the company even allowed that or not), full price of insurance, all the in office "perks" like snacks, and any other poo poo they wanted to claim. I think he even worked poo poo like WFH in there. I very much remember that it felt like he was trying to say actually no, developers don't make all that much money, they just add up all the perks!

My current job has unlimited PTO(A cursed blessing!), I wanna use his formula to say that my current total compensation is infinite, but a place can pick me up for the low low value of $250k total comp.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Well I think I'll have a FAANG interview soon. My recruiter a week ago said to take time, practice, study, and let them know when I ready to take the code interview. First time I took a practice assessment on leetcode I bombed it. Now after doing several problems daily, I've nailed a couple of those well undertime and in the top 10% according to their assessment report. So I think I'm going to be ready soon.

I also have an interview with a non-FAANG company. However deeper research into that one has given me a lot of pause. Their overall reviews are great, but there is a definite trend that their reviews dropped off heavily in the last year or two, specifically about some cultural shifts for the worse. Basically going from a near 5 on glassdoor to a 3 in ~2 years. I also have some reservations about compensation, since I noticed they have really wide pay bands even in the same location and title, combine that with the first question I got in a screening email being "What are your expectations of compensation" and I'm worried that they will lowball the hell out of me. Kinda sucks because it's an exact stack match for me, so I'd really be able to hit the ground running there. Not cancelling the interview of course, I'm gonna try to suss out that stuff as much as I can in the interview(s).

I'm probably going to send out more applications since I definitely don't want to count on nailing that FAANG interview.

Do you guys bother with cover letters? I haven't in the past and my impression is they are mostly ignored, but I was considering including cover letters with my next few apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I like that "Worst Piece of Code in Prod" question. I wonder what's worse, having no answer or immediately knowing the answer.

Brainstorming a few others:

How did your last few deployments go, were there any problems before/during/after?
How often does an emergency feature or bug fix need to go to production?
-This one and the last one are both related to quality of work, quality of code base, and priorities. I also hate being a fireman.

How did your last onboarding go?
-I just hate starting somewhere and it's a total clusterfuck. I think it serves as a microcosm of how the overall situation is.

Is this position a replacement for somebody who left? If so, why'd they leave?
-Sure would love to know if the last dev just hated the place. Probably worth pressing a bit if they just say "They got a great opportunity..." and I'd want to know what it is that was better.