Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I don't dislike smaller places, but they need to be compelling. Smaller companies and startups need to first prove to me that their product or service is worthwhile and a good idea in the first place before I'll work there. I see a lot of startups out there with just plain pointless crap. Maybe I'm just picky.

Why? Smaller companies are great to work at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They can be great to work at. The variance is a lot higher compared to big companies. Small companies can be great, or they can be awful; big companies are mostly just :geno:

I agree with that. I don't agree with Pollyanna's notion that the variance in quality can be offset by how much you get behind the idea. If I really believed a startup's Uber For Cats I'd still be foolish for overlooking markers of a poor work environment. The two ideas exist independently.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

rt4 posted:

I guess I'll go with Guile since it's already widely accepted as the GNU extension language

e: fine I'll use Python but it's gonna be version 3 not this decade-old poo poo

Write it in Scheme, but compile it to JavaScript.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Are there any UK developers reading this thread?

I'm looking for some salary guidance. I've got 2 years experience writing full stack ASP.NET web apps (the last year has been entirely .NET Core), including a tonne of SQL for MSSQL, Postgres and Oracle. I spent about a year being the goto Python script writer/dev partner support/trainer. I also handle our static documentation sites and their CI pipelines.

Edit: also responsible for the fun fun fun job of teaching my senior colleagues how to write automated tests

I work on the outskirts of London where CoL is cheap and make 39k GBP. My next job move is likely going to be into London proper: what kind of offers should I be entertaining?

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 28, 2018

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

:wave:

I've not been a .NET dev for a long time, I'm Rails these days, what do you consider outskirts?

2 good years' experience in Ruby would get you something like 50k (low-mid range), so that may translate to your language/framework. For reference a senior Ruby dev will get 70-90k in London proper.

One thing to bear in mind is that your CoL is going to skyrocket if you move closer than zone 6 and commuting from outside the tube will be £400-600/mo easy.

I'm not from the southeast so my definition of outskirts might be slightly off - I'm outside the zone system, but able to get Nat Rail trains into central London in less than half an hour. Rent is 950 - 1100 for a 2 bed flat. 700-1000 for 1.

It sounds like I'd need an offer of at least 55k to break even.

Is there any truth to the idea that you have to consult to make the big bucks in the UK? *eyes American salaries wistfully*

Edit: just seen your previous reply. Thanks!

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 28, 2018

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
I'm starting a small-mid size project and have been given the option to choose the language. We're going to be doing loads of external HTTP requests. Obviously many good options but in terms of career and sanity, what would everybody choose? We're currently using C#.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

What are you doing with the responses? I just wrote a small app (like 50 lines) to do the same in Scala to replay web traffic logs to our staging API and it took like, under a day to get it running super effectively with AsyncHttpClient library.

withoutclass posted:

Are the requests incoming or outgoing? Is your shop all .Net? Would deviating from the main way your team does things be bad for future maintenance or if you're sick and someone needs to cover you? C# is a pretty good language, especially with async/await type stuff baked in, and if you're already running the .Net stack for hosting etc, you may as well stick with it.

rt4 posted:

I'd choose Go because its concurrency system makes doing lots of outgoing HTTP requests easy and because I like programming against interfaces

Volguus posted:

The first consideration should be "Who will maintain this 10 years form now when it has grown into a huge monster?. Is it reasonable for me to ask a .NET shop to learn a different language/technology?" The answer may be yes ... or not. The answer can also be " I don't give a poo poo". But if you like your coworkers and/or your place of work don't put unnecessary maintenance burden of them if you don't need to. And this kind of project sounds like it can be done in any language.

Now, if you know that the team/company is looking to move to language X (go?) in the future, it may be a valuable learning experience for everyone to see how does the language perform and this would then be the perfect project to test it. Otherwise, stick with what everyone does and knows.

Jaded Burnout posted:

What sort of user interface does it have? Anything where you want a strong ecosystem for libraries? Any techs other than HTTP you're looking at tightly interfacing with?

Those would be my primary concerns otherwise you've not said anything so far that would make me give a poo poo about what language it was in, tech-wise. Most everything can do HTTP pretty robustly, it's not something like rabbitmq or kafka where the underlying tech is written in a certain language and thus informs the amount of support you get with client languages.

raminasi posted:

If “I used this project as an excuse to teach myself something” flies at your company, and you want to do that, do it in F#. If not, just stick with C#.

I agree with the concerns over picking something non-CLR/.NET but I've been given the explicit go-ahead to use whatever I want if I can make a technical case for it. Unfortunately my boss is leaning towards Node ("for performance" :airquote:), which I think is hot trash. I'm working with a single colleague who thinks the same. I personally love functional programming but colleague doesn't know anything about it.

We're in an exploratory phase so this is all a bit fuzzy, but it'll be an internal service providing a uniform interface to multiple larger, sprawling REST-like external APIs. We'll need a database tracking user consent over time and probably be using JWT for auth.

To me it feels like a natural fit for Erlang, but I suspect that's too much of a paradigm shift. Is it too much of an rear end in a top hat move to pick something like Go?

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
So that's settled then, a DSL in Racket.

I had hoped I could play off the openness to using new tech to add a second lang/stack to my skillset. Is it not stronger to position yourself as a generalist in the job market, rather than a ".NET guy" or whatever?

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Trying to get work to pay for learning new things is always good. But there's a balance between doing that and making the one-off unmaintainable project that will have your name cursed forevermore by your successor.

Maybe scale down the "new tech" bit. Instead of introducing new language into your org, maybe pick a new coding style/paradigm/framework/whatever to try. It’ll let you learn something new while keeping hope alive for future maintenance. You might even be able to pawn it off as beneficial to the company, a lil pilot project to see just what is that reactive programming thing and is it useful on the main product.

As for positioning, I dunno. Some people hear generalist and think "master of nothing". Probably depends how you sell it in a conversation or an interview.

That seems balanced, and makes sense.

rt4 posted:

If you prefer functional, use Racket instead of Go

How do you find Racket? I imagine the domain specific language rabbit hole is difficult to get to grips with. (I think it was you who replied when I asked about CL/Clojure/Racket in the old Functional thread. If not - nevermind!)

Cirofren posted:

The vast majority of jobs advertised in my region are .Net, JavaScript, Java, Python, PHP in roughly that order. Most of them senior.

What I'm saying is take your bosses suggestion and write it in node :v:

This is what ended up happening. It turns out when my boss said "any tech", he really meant "use node". One upside is the local jobmarket loves Node for some reason!!!!!!!

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
So, since my last post about the cool new "Use any technology you like (as long as it's Node)" policy, I'm having to defend my team from the wholesale use of MongoDB. We've entered a cycle where every week or two I have to explain why Mongo is garbage and my team won't be using it. I'm pretty sure at this point the guy making these decisions is a marketing android sent into the present day from 2013 to spread the good word about web-scale.

Oh, and a substantially below inflation % annual pay-rise. Time to GTFO :confuoot: ?

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

rt4 posted:

Yes, sticking around hoping for a real raise is the costliest mistake I've ever made. Better to get started now before you become really bitter about it.

genki posted:

Yeah I started a gradual job search process after the promotion process dragged out yet again... well and some differences in management style preferences with current manager. At the very least, can't hurt to get the interviewing experience...

That's a healthy way to look at it. I'll start looking around and getting some interview experience.

Skandranon posted:

And if you are really bitter, just change your tune about Mongo.

prisoner of waffles posted:

this is spectacular advice if one really wants to be spiteful. the best way to be the worst person in this situation is to line up some poor schmuck (not you) to take the full responsibility for the switch to Mongo.

Skandranon is always a good poster ITT so I'm going to go see their post history to try to guess why someone hosed with their av.

Oh god, I couldn't bare to do it to my colleagues. It would be an excellent FU, though.

On a related tangent, I've never heard anything good about Mongo other than these two things: Use it as a cache that you can completely wipe because it's only a matter of time until you end up with inconsistent data, and it's great for beginner tutorials because "look, it's just JSON!!!". Has anyone here had a good experience with it?

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Thanks for the feedback about Mongo. It sounds like I've been roughly on the money that not having some form of consistent backing store is not a good idea. To spread some light on our current setup, we're using MSSQL as our main store and Redis for caching and its Set features.

Cirofren posted:

Mongo can do some neat stuff with location data, it has built in geospatial queries that can return locations inside a boundary or on an intersect.

Saved me a lot of time on a toy project. I'm no db expert though, is there a better query engine I could be using for locations?

Postgres has genuine first in class spatial support (PostGIS). MSSQL and Oracle are both good (good being relative for Oracle).

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
We had an interviewee for a senior role who seemed as lost as that. Their primary experience was 15 odd years writing a proprietary desktop GUI language which last had a new version in the early 2000s. I still wonder what they ended up doing.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on mentoring junior devs who are struggling? I feel like I am not doing a great job, partially because I can tell I am losing my patience and being short. Though I also want to be careful I'm not veering into just doing someone's work for them. I don't have managerial authority or anything but enough people have quit to where I'm one of the more senior (both in the general sense and in terms of tenure at my place) people around so I'm kind of in unfamiliar waters.

Sometimes a relevant book can work. Often when I've been talking past another dev it's because we're trying to communicate with no shared vocabulary and different sets of assumptions.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Has anyone moved sideways into ML from application development? I have the opportunity to learn on the work dime. I can't tell if it's a move into being an analyst or a skill I can use to progress my SWE prospects.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

vonnegutt posted:

Is there any downside? If you hate it, just go back to application development. Learning new skills is almost never wasted, worst case scenario you learn it's not for you. I would learn any new skill on my employer's dime.

I've heard it's difficult to move back to development if you spend time working in ops and was wondering if it's similar. Otherwise, hell yeah new skills!

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
You can get a 12 month remote work visa in Barbados for ~$2k where they expect you to keep your (current) remote job. It sounds pretty great to be honest.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

The March Hare posted:

Has anyone used interview cake? It's on megasale right now and I do need to brush up on stuff.

I spent the $30 on this. I agree, it's CTCI by another name but easier to get to grips with if you don't already know the material.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Does anyone work in AppSec? Is it interesting enough to do in the medium-long term?

I currently do offensive security but miss the feeling of building things from when I was an SWE. I'm also beginning to feel the grind of spending 25% of my time compiling and peer reviewing reports, but that's just consultancy things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Sign posted:

I did for a while but got out of it because it was all running into fires and dealing with the dumbest other teams in the organization. Plenty interesting though.

The dumbest team thing didn't occur to me. Right now I tend to work with people with at least enough interest to seek out security knowledge