Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Thanks for the thoughts. To pose one of my other questions again, what are some signals that a company is good or bad, in terms of leadership, communication, opportunity, process, etc.?

One of the more interesting things I've seen regarding this is to ask to see their code during the interview. If they won't it says that they don't feel comfortable with it or don't feel they have the autonomy to do so. If they do show it to you, ask them to show you a good part and a bad part.

A lot of what makes a company good or bad varies from developer to developer a place where I am happy would be different from where you would be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Has anyone used those hiring websites like Hired and poo poo? Before I start an aggressive search I kinda want to exhaust my options there since it's the summer and I'm lazy.

I tried hired. The number of employers in my location(DC) wasn't very good and the physical location filters weren't good for the area. The DC area was brand new so maybe it's better now. The overall experience seemed better than recruiters or job boards.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003
Next week I'm interviewing a candidate to be my new engineering manager. I've never interviewed someone to be my superior before. Any advice compared to interviewing other non management engineers?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

Is it a technical role or a non-technical role?

They aren't supposed to actively do any coding but are supposed to do design and code reviews. So kind of.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

Cross-posting this from the newbie thread since it's probably more applicable to this thread:

The company I work at has this dual track structure, but it doesn't really work. From low to high

Software Engineer 1-3
Senior Software Engineer
Lead Software Engineer
Principal Software Engineer 1-3(3 exists only in theory nobody has it)
Principal Architect 1-5

And managers are

Development Manger(to differentiate from Project/Product managers)
Senior Development Manager
Director Development
Senior Director Development
VP whatever
SVP whatever

The Lead Software Engineer title is half senior dev half development manager. You can go from Senior Software Engineer to Lead or Principal or Development manager. It's clearly not matching levels on both sides. But the main issue with it that I see is that they never say oh poo poo this team needs a Principal whatever, but they do get things like this team is too big the manager gets a bump up to senior manager and they make some new managers below them.

Most of the Principal Architects were outside hires at that level and are all in one group, where they think thoughts and produce proof of concepts for what the new direction would be every 6-9 months. Their backgrounds all seem to have been director/VP level people where they came from, not directly from the engineering ranks. The Principal Engineers all seem to be over the hill and not up on anything new. They were the engineers who built the pile of crap we have today and are proud of it, despite its significant problems.

On the totally separate topic of Masters degrees, from the people I know doing government contracting it seems to be worth a 10-20k bump, but outside the DC area that's probably not applicable to most people.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003
I recently did a phone screen with a well funded start up. I thought I did badly on the phone screen, and they want to fly me out for an in person interview.

Any ideas on how to address the difference in perception from the phone screen in a tactful way?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Sign posted:

I recently did a phone screen with a well funded start up. I thought I did badly on the phone screen, and they want to fly me out for an in person interview.

Any ideas on how to address the difference in perception from the phone screen in a tactful way?

Following up on this went out there, thought I did better than I did on the phone screen. They seemed to ask lots of questions with the assumption you wouldn't get the right answer but to see how close you do get. They want me to progress to the next round of interviews which is with the two local employees. Which seems totally backwards to me.

The feedback conversation after the interview was more about what I thought of their interview process than how I did. Is that normal to anybody else?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003
Didn't realize there were this many DC goons in this thread. I've been having the same struggle of trying to find proper technical work especially somewhere downtown. Anyone done the Solutions Architect role? Is it as much sales as it sounds?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

They keep asking me weird questions and I'm just incredibly turned off from the whole process.

What sort of weird? We need details.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Just received word that our entire platform/AWS operations team quit. Rats fleeing sinking ship, etc. This is fun.

Didn't you want to get out of web dev? Seems like you could dabble in this and see if you like it.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Is it poor form to ask a recruiter exactly which company is hiring and what market/field they are in even if you’re not going to take the job? A recruiter let me know about a local position and even though I’m set, the company sounds a bit similar to one I’ve already heard of and maybe even worked at before...so I’m curious.

I've found asking if it is a particular company may get a yes, as opposed to asking who it is.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

rails consultancy mindset

How is this different from a regular consultancy mindset?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Doh004 posted:

I find recruiting to be one of the most rewarding parts of my job.

How are you doing this so it isn't terrible?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Portland Sucks posted:

That sounds stressful.

It can be at first, but then once you realize you don't care if you get the job offer or not the whole experience becomes much more chill and possibly enlightening. The questions others ask of you can be informative to larger trends or even deficiencies of your own resume. I've been taking regular interviews for a while and there are two places that if I decided I wanted to do a new thing I could call and have an offer immediately because of it.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm looking for some reading for something I suspect exists out there already. I'm assuming there's some rough idea of software complexity that is similar to Big O notation and it goes something like:

1. Adding new features tends to add exponential complexity because the new features have to inter-operate.
2. A lot of our shortcomings in understanding a problem come down to assuming the complexity is just linear.
3. Good software design tries its best to turn the exponential complexity into linear complexity.
4. Despite this, good software design usually just reduces the factor of exponential complexity and you still hit a point where a new feature just fucks you.

Think of it like network effects, feature A and feature B interact. Even if it's just to the extent of you having to consider if they are related. Then you add feature C which interacts with both.

I don't think that goes through steps of growth rates like Big O does. Try some reading on accidental vs essential complexity, it might inspire you.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

All the banks that hired from my master's program didn't seem to view it as a negative signal. I think the idea that a master's is bad is something very unique to Silicon Valley, and even there it's mostly the startups.

It's definitely a thing in the DC area, it seems like a combination of visa nonsense and lifers in government contracting.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

prisoner of waffles posted:

You're talking about master's programs in the DC area being kinda poo poo? In general or for CS specifically

I was referring to people with Masters in the DC area.

The only local programs I have any knowledge is are UMD and John's Hopkins which both seem good, although the UMD one seems to have a more academic bent than practical.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Sab669 posted:

This is my third programming job. One was a tiny, 7-person company dealing directly with clients. Another was for an international bank, and my current is for a leading medical (EMR) company. So I feel like I have decent exposure to different "schools" of the industry (tiny, small, huge companies).

Try a midsized software company that isn't trying to 'scale', EMR while it seems like it should work like a software company generally doesn't.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Doghouse posted:

It seems like a lit of these remote companies have unlimited PTO. It seems uncomfortable to me, but in practice, could I take, like, 40 vacation days in year? Or would they start being unhappy with me at 30? Or less?

I've got unlimited I've been taking ~25 days a year no questions asked. I suspect if you asked my boss he wouldn't even know how much I'm taking. A friend who is a manager at the same place asked some opinions about what to do with a guy on his team who was taking 40.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm weighing two options:
  1. Jump ship ASAP — thinking of an internal transfer to another org in the company. Would be better done before there's a rush of others at my level doing the same.
  2. Stick it out in hopes of getting a promotion before things (possibly) crash and burn — my teammates and manager have all said that they'll support this in the upcoming round of promotions (and even if they leave the team, their opinions still have weight so long as they're still in the company). And then find an internal transfer at that new level if the situation still warrants it.

I still need to investigate whether an internal transfer could include a bump to my level, but I'd assume that's rare.

Usually internal transfers can't bump levels, and you can't transfer for a year after a promotion. Figure out the rules for your organization. Always consider an outside position since that is where the money is.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

asur posted:

Levels in general are very inconsistent across companies and some companies tend to delevel almost everyone, Google being an example. I'd compare pay instead when trying to compare across companies and wouldn't take a paycut unless you have a very specific plan. In regards to technology to work on, I'd choose based on what you enjoy as you can find well paying jobs using almost anything.

Agreed on the comp thing. Another interesting way to look at it is top X% of engineers. Makes a way to gauge where a title is in another hierarchy in a way that isn't comp related since people would be less likely to share that. For example the title I have and higher titles accounts for like 2% of engineering vs my previous title at the same company was 10%.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

riichiee posted:

How many years of experience would you usually expect from a senior engineer?

It varies between employers. Anything less than 3 is probably too little. But as with all jobs, if you want to do the job apply for the job and just assume they're going to ghost you anyway. Not all employers have something past senior so between the cluster gently caress of titles and job expectations just apply.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

leper khan posted:

contracted recruiters reaching out >> agency without an agreement reaching out

How do you differentiate between those two?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Have we got any software security peeps around? I’ve always been interested in it (decompiling, pen testing, etc) and I’m considering making a pivot to it because I’d like to get involved in more meaningful things. I’d be grateful to hear any takes on the topic, required reading, learning resources etc.

I did some blue team stuff for a while. I found it exhausting because I would repeatedly spend my time working with the worst teams who would say things like "well do we have to encrypt that (SSNs)? It will take too long to make that change." And they'd spend weeks ignoring me and trying to get an exception and complain we're making them late.

From talking to various pen testers it takes a very specific mindset to do that. Since you try 10000 things with the expectation that 9999 of them will fail.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003
The new head of engineering (6 days in) did a Q&A session today. He demonstrated a reasonable understanding of the what's wrong but appears to have no plan what to do about it. He seems open to the larger changes we need, but doesn't seem to be interested in driving any sort of change himself. How screwed is this situation? We're ~100 engineers probably looking to IPO late 2024 to 2025. If it makes a differences the head of sales was also just exited from the organization.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Sign posted:

The new head of engineering (6 days in) did a Q&A session today. He demonstrated a reasonable understanding of the what's wrong but appears to have no plan what to do about it. He seems open to the larger changes we need, but doesn't seem to be interested in driving any sort of change himself. How screwed is this situation? We're ~100 engineers probably looking to IPO late 2024 to 2025. If it makes a differences the head of sales was also just exited from the organization.

Figure I owe you all an update. Yesterday he decided no service can be deployed to production until they have their monitoring dashboard approved by him. So there are now ~100 engineers stuck waiting for him to approve dashboards about topics he doesn't understand. So far there has been no information/feedback about what he is expecting on those dashboards.

And the best part is we've got several services with messed up shared owner models that now have like 5 teams trying to coordinate on how to monitor them to make a singular dashboard.

The VP of customer success is also on their way out.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Hadlock posted:

That seems like a pretty effective way to understand the whole stack in short order

Is he working with the head of tech operations on this or is he personally doing this

Two VP level departures (who presumably have fat stacks of options) in short order at a company planning to IPO in 300-600 days isn't confidence inspiring

AFAIK he's doing it himself, but we don't have a singular head of operations those 3 teams EMs all report to one of his reports along with a big chunk of other stuff.

And I'd call it a third VP counting the guy he replaced.

It is extra silly for my team since we don't own any services and can't do anything else because of this. And the company wide on site is all of next week.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Hadlock posted:

How much runway do you guys have

And how up to date is your resume

Good bit of runway year+. Resume is reasonably up to date. I get lots of random inbound stuff for jobs I'm not interested in despite not looking which considering what it seems like the hiring environment is at this point.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003
It isn't the whole thing but there is open messaging benchmarks .

But for the bigger question it isn't just about qps and latency it is also about consistency of volume, is the work CPU bound or IO bound. Paying $$$ for a lambda to just sit there and wait for a network call to finish isn't worth it.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Sign posted:

AFAIK he's doing it himself, but we don't have a singular head of operations those 3 teams EMs all report to one of his reports along with a big chunk of other stuff.

And I'd call it a third VP counting the guy he replaced.

It is extra silly for my team since we don't own any services and can't do anything else because of this. And the company wide on site is all of next week.

Giving another update on this stupidity. I found out on Friday that he was surprised that there were services without a singular owner. Everything was clear to deploy as of Monday. Nobody has broken anything yet, but I'm leaving on ~3 weeks of vacation and will see what is going on when I get back. Not hopeful. I really don't want to deal with this job market

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Xik posted:

I'm glad I'll be dead by the time software has to be written for a multi-planet economy.

I got to do some of this when working for NASA
https://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/mars24/ it honestly makes more sense than most terrestrial time stuff since there is less politics involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

Does anyone work in AppSec? Is it interesting enough to do in the medium-long term?

I currently do offensive security but miss the feeling of building things from when I was an SWE. I'm also beginning to feel the grind of spending 25% of my time compiling and peer reviewing reports, but that's just consultancy things.

I did for a while but got out of it because it was all running into fires and dealing with the dumbest other teams in the organization. Plenty interesting though.