Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Interesting that this thread is talking about ridiculous interviews as that just came up in the local facebook gigs group too. I'm pretty sure the ridiculous interview process is a san francisco thing. I went to the end of two in June/July and I think I counted something like 11 touches at one and 13 at the other.

I've appreciated the current company I'm interviewing at who is at the check references before making an offer stage just over a week after I started talking with them.

Personally, my favorite is a phone screen, a take home project on a mini version of your software, a code review on said project, and a single manager/CTO/CEO interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Also, in actual career advice ask:

Has anyone done a masters of engineering management or MBA to better move from IC to manager. Worth it? Easier to land the management jobs? Not any easier to transition from Senior to Management?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Doh004 posted:

Agreed. I made the jump from IC to an EM because I wanted to take on more responsibility, my boss wanted me to have more responsibility and the opportunity presented itself (fair amount of luck). As someone who who manages managers - I can say that most people do not want to do it. If I have someone who expresses interest in people management, I do my best to make it happen.

Yeah, that's the theme of the current search. IC at places that are growing and may require fresh Leads/Managers soon. I want that myself, and also want to move into management before I start hitting the software engineering ageism wall in a decade or so.

The company that I contract for doesn't want to lose me but keeps dropping the ball when it comes to doing any sort of retention. They've hinted at a leadership group that would give me some EM experience, but no movement in the 2 months since they mentioned it.

Somewhat ironically, I have experience as a manager, but it was 6 years ago. Then I made the mistake of going consulting and back to senior-level IC for the next 6 years, which means I lost the immediacy of that experience.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Keetron posted:

When would you say is this wall?

I've seen people start reporting it gets bad ~ mid 40's, and past 50 it gets real hard to find a job, even if you've been programming in the latest and greatest all that time.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

the talent deficit posted:

my experience is companies are so desperate for managers with technical skills that all you really need is competency and desire to move from ic to manager in tech

This hasn't really been my experience for my job search... One company even shot me down because they had a good 500 senior flat and no room for Lead/Managers...

Interestingly, I've been a good barometer for hiring freezes. I've now hit 3 of them.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Guinness posted:

It also really really depends on the company, because “team lead” or “engineering manager” can mean so many different things. It’s also often not in and of itself a “promotion” as much as a first step in the management ladder. It’s not unusual for senior ICs get paid more than first level managers, but upper level managers will definitely make more.

And herein lies the end goal for me: I want to eventually be VP engineering or CTO or something along those lines, and it seems a lot easier to get there via Lead -> Eng Manager -> Director Eng -> VP Eng/CTO than Senior -> Staff -> Principle -> VP/CTO

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Doh004 posted:

Same here. I'm trying to make the jump between Engineering Manager -> Director right now which is an awkward spot.

Oh? What are you seeing? The few director listings I've seen are looking for folks with 6+ years IC experience and 3+ management experience.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Doh004 posted:

Back when I was looking several months ago, I was hitting resistance because I didn't have the title. Even though my experiences are at that level, it was a big jump for an org to say "This person is a Director even though they've never been called it".

I'm also younger than most at this level (a lot of luck) at 30 so there's a little bit of reverse-ageism at play (I'm not complaining).

Ah, that makes sense. Making the transition in title requires some buy-in or desperation.

Conning your current company to give you a title bump would also help...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Vulture Culture posted:

At my last job I was an engineering manager with a director title. In my current job I'm a director with an EM title. I want to (and largely do currently) do product management. The title treadmill is unwinnable. Just try to solve real problems.

Why product management?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I do think that the hire fast, fire fast mentality should be present more. But the hiring process costs companies so much, I can understand them wanting to be choosy.

If you're willing to relocate or are in a hot market, then you'll have offers out of your ears. If I went on the market in Austin, I'm pretty sure I'd have a bidding war on my hands. But I don't like going in to an office.

Since I'm remote only and going for very senior level positions, people are being much more careful with their approach apparently.

Honestly, more companies should consider a remote-first mentality. You get the same quality of developer, it's less expensive (by my experience, about 25% less than in-office employees), and since you can cast your net nationally, you have a lot more candidates. I'd say the EU countries should consider looking for remote US workers too, but they pay a lot less and would have a harder time finding devs that would work for their wages.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I mean, I appreciate when a company offers to pay me for an interview project. $250 seems to be a going rate for companies that do a pretty good pre-screen.

Most companies are totally OK with you substituting their project with a different one you already have done. This year I did an app early in my looking around and have code-reviewed and demo'ed it for 2 of the 3 other companies that I pursued.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

School of How posted:

Not once have I been offered to be paid for my take home.

Twice in maybe 6 interviews that over the last 5 years? It's not common and it's not necessary, but it's not bad.

School of How posted:

Not in my experience. I've asked many times if my github account can act in lieu of a take home or whiteboard, and every time I'm told "No."

I didn't say github account. I said project. Saying, "here's my github, it should be good enough" is stupid. Saying, "hey, that looks like a fun little project and I'll have time next week to work on it, but in the meantime, here's a project that I did a couple of months ago that's very similar in function. Let me know if you'd like to review that instead," works.

Progressive JPEG posted:

I think they just wanted to stop talking to you

I think that's the sense that I'm getting so far here too.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ Yes, that's kinda the point. As an interviewer, I don't want to spend hours combing through random dude's collection of half-finished projects and OS forks to find a few useful things. As an interviewee, you should know what projects are worth presenting, and failing that, just do the new one.

rotor posted:

(3) none of this would be a thing if programmers just had a union/guild/professional certification body like normal people do

To change the subject slightly, it would be fascinating to see how something like this could work. There are definitely levels of skill for developers, but how difficult would that be to quantify? There's not exactly an objective, multiple choice test you could study for for programming.

Is there a business in there build around subjectively and anonymously assessing developers and assigning them grades as a way to speed through the first 3 stages of an interview process?

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 6, 2019

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Careful Drums posted:

Yes that's a huge business. There's been several startups in the interviewing space revolving around "get someone to pass a test without ever exposing their identity to the company". interviewing.io is one that comes to mind.

I think a guild would be an amazing step forward for the industry. The core of the problem, in my mind, is that a guild would be a beauocracy. Beauocracies change very slowly, while our industry changes stupidly fast. So anything that got off the ground would constantly be at risk of falling behind the times, losing perceived and real value as an organization.

We're programmers. Obviously the guild would be controlled by an AI hive mind.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Guinness posted:

to companies that they partner with

I think that's where they get it wrong. Ties you in to their partners, not the world at large.

Granted, that is a good way to profit (since dev's won't do the certification if they have to pay money).

Maybe gamify it? Style a guild around a video game guild, give members quests to gain levels. Fund via angel, sell it to Indeed for $$ after a couple of years as an exit strategy.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

rotor posted:

Bar exam for lawyers, doctor residency requirements, certifications for civil engineers, journeyman certs for machinists, none of this is anything new, just pick a model and run with it.

I mean, there are certs for programmers. And they're all bullshit.

Residency requirements for doctors is more like a formalized system of junior level. Like saying, you're a junior until you have 3 years of experience at a low rate. Doesn't really fix quality.

Bar exam is just testing against state laws. While you could probably set up testing for the various languages, programming is not quite as black/white as that.

Journeyman certs are just another way to do entry-level. Doesn't fix the quality vs years thing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

vonnegutt posted:

C'mon everybody knows the real way to get a senior engineer position is via word-of-mouth from people you used to work with.

I mean, this is a viable strategy that I've seen employed more than once by a close friend and fellow goon.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Xik posted:

I'm pretty critical of the technical job seeking process, especially "homework", but I've never encountered any that could be confused for "real work".

They are all extremely obviously little exercises they reuse to "prove" some basic technical skill. None I've encountered could be used in any real world application in any way that I can imagine.

I mean if it was "build this obviously relevant to our business rest api, here is this weirdly specific full database schema, you have two weeks" then my hackles would raise, but I've never encountered anything like that in the wild.

The only time I've seen something like this has been when it actually was work, as in you're hired as a contractor and if you do good work you're offered a more permanent position. Few companies do this. My current company has tried it a few times (a quick hire based on skill not fit) and we're about 50/50 as far as people who can be worked with vs people who just piss the client off.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

minato posted:

I was looped in to interview a supposed rockstar coder, and I was forewarned by the manager who wanted to hire him that "he was really good, but he could be a little abrasive." That turned out to be true... when I asked my standard "You and another team member differ on how to design a component. How would you resolve that conflict?", he started his response with "Well, that depends on whether the team member is a man or a woman. Because you can sit down and reason with a man."

Thanks for the :biotruths: buddy, now I get to stare out the window for the rest of the interview.

Wow. You sure you didn't just interview School of How?

Sinten posted:

That's when you say "thanks for your time", usher them out and kill the rest of their rounds.

no poo poo.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sab669 posted:

So changing the topic slightly, if one wasn't in dire need of a [new] job, what are you guys' thoughts on refusing take-home tests specifically?

I enjoy coding, but I have a life outside of work and I'm strongly disinterested in sacrificing my time to do a project. Doubly so if they're playing the "we gave you poo poo specs to test your ability to ask for clarification" game because playing phone email tag waiting for answers is a stupid waste of time.

I have no problem with on-site whiteboarding or any other "typical" interview process testing, but expecting me to sacrifice 10, 15, maybe even 20 hours of my time outside of my current job is horseshit IMO. I stare at a screen and write code all day, the last thing I want to do is go home and write more code. Also, frankly, I have ADHD and it's really hard for me to just force myself to do "productive" work when I'm not on the clock. I know that's kind of "just an excuse", but :shrug: I don't really care because I'm not in need of a job.

I've never considered just flat-out telling recruiters/companies about my unwillingness to do take homes. The last time I was given one, I asked for some spec clarification, briefly started the project and then after thinking about the interviews I had more, I simply told the recruiter I wasn't interested. Would it be worthwhile to save everyone's time to make this point clear ahead of time? Something like, "If you know they give take-home tests, don't give them my resume" ?

I posted this earlier, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say, "hey, I won't have time to get to this any time soon, can we substitute this thing that I already did that is similar?"

When you're casually looking, if they're dead-set on making you do the take home and they can't give you a reason why they aren't interested in looking at some code you already have, then it's also not unreasonable for you to pass based on timing.

But also don't be How and point to your entire github history either. Gotta provide a specific project.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
My biggest gripe with take-homes is that so many companies want you to do it greenfield. Even with Rails, which excels at being fast to publish, it takes an hour or two to get a fresh project set up. Especially if it's also a SPA.

Best take-home was an already created project and a trello board with a few bugs, a minor feature request, and an "if you have time" major feature request or two. A mid-level dev should be able to get the bugs, minor, and one major request done in 4-6 hours. A senior should take 4-6 hours to clear the board or 3-4 hours to do what the mid-level dev did.

The key was that the setup was already done. Otherwise, a big part of the test is how you create your skeleton and how well you can set up webpack.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Keetron posted:

I do only java development and can set up a runnable Spring Boot micro service that responds to an http get request in 10 minutes.

I mean, yeah, I can do this too. Would you do this if you were trying to emulate a "real world" project, though? How long to set up a database, put together a few models & relations, get a JS front end rolling?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pollyanna posted:

I can probably do the same for rails, but...really, who the hell spins up new projects that often that they can get something new spun up immediately?

I mean, I've been working with greenfields for the last 2 years, so I feel like I've created more new projects than most...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So you guys talking about companies falling all over themselves looking for people interested in becoming engineering managers... I seem to have found the 3 companies that don't fall into that category.

I guess, that I need to downplay leadership aspirations when applying for IC roles.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

JawnV6 posted:

I'd say it's situational on both sides? Some places have a full pipeline of eager folks ready to grow into management, some places have a lot of work and need bodies to do it. On the candidate side, I've had good luck saying "I need mgmt growth potential" and "I want technical work" at different points in my career and narrative.

And it's not like companies talk. Apply to a startup that wants to "grow the pyramid" under the first few hires and say you really want to be a manager, apply to a FAANG that wants a skilled IC and rave about going back to heads-down IC work without interruption, they're never going to compare notes.

Oh, for sure. I just picked out the "provide mentorship" part of their listings and said that I'm looking for a company that's growing and will be willing to give me a shot at a leadership or manager role down the road. One was too flat (3ish managers, 200 senior developers), the other apparently has a bunch of folks already on the team waiting for the same position to open?

Hurts that I'm dead-set on staying remote. At least I'm making it to the end of the interview chains pretty easily, even if I've not gotten an offer yet.

Anyway... Any of y'all work for remote companies & want a team lead or engineering manager? ;)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MononcQc posted:

I guess that depends how you perceive the IC role. The way I've grown to perceive it is that a leadership job as an IC still comes with mentorship, training, and soft skills. It's just that rather than defining the next gen architecture alone, you have to be able to do so while keeping lower-ranking individual contributors involved, and knowing how to communicate the questions you ask yourself and why the answers you give are useful.

As you grow in seniority, there is less and less work you can do alone on your own in a vacuum that makes sense, and more and more work where your hard-gained experience can be useful to those who have less in ways that is a multiplicator; for most problems, you can do better preventing 5-6 developers who are less proficient or knowledgeable from making mistakes than you would ever accomplish on your own. The same is true of seniority when it comes to domain knowledge rather than just tech stuff; there are few replacements for "knowing the business" and you'll save a lot more time for everyone by communicating that expertise to others so they don't rediscover it through bug reports and hamfisted TDD.

You'll still have plenty of opportunities to work on hard interesting problems in many places, but you should expect to make room for more and more time spent complementing and growing the technical strenghts of those around you on top of just honing your own skills. There are better ways to bring people up than "have them suffer through the same yak shaving I've had to go through" as far as systems go, but a lot of tech folks focus on just suffering through poo poo as a rite of passage.

Aside from mentorship and experience sharing, more senior ICs are often just expected to take on larger projects with larger scopes; impact is department or company-wide rather than team-wide (often at a senior or tech lead level) or feature-wide, and those larger impacts tend to require better communication and negotiation skills anyway; you'll have to be able to herd cats across the various silos How!! is actively creating, make your points to folks working on product or marketing concerns, and so on, just to get the technical ball rolling the way you want. Eventually CTOs at big orgs do that nearly full time, negotiating budgets and priorities with other departments as a nearly full-time job.

This is entirely distinct as a concern from what you'd get through a management track. I wouldn't expect a people manager to be doing technical training for engineers on their own, even though part of their work is likely to focus on career growth. It's just that your more senior technical contributors become a very good way to help that career growth if they are able to.

Well said. I'm already doing that at my current job, but it's well phrased here and I'm going to shamelessly steal some of this when interviewing the next time I'm going for a senior IC role.

Most of the EM roles I've been applying to have been 60/40 management/tech type roles, which suits me fine.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

rotor posted:

these posts are like a window back in time to an IT service department in 1992

Repository? We all just work from a shared zip file.

Continuous Deploy? I mean, I guess I can open up the ftp server and upload the new code at any time.

Code Review? Sure, come over to my cubicle and I'll walk you through my changes. Or we could have a company-wide meeting to review my code!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
If remote work is our next subject, I have thoughts...

But before we go away from hiring completely, I ran across some job listings for these guys and I'm curious what you think about their hiring process: https://life.taxjar.com/distributed-team-hiring-process/

tldr: they give you an 80 hour contract at an introductory rate. If you're not unemployed, they'll let you work nights/weekends at that.

vonnegutt posted:

We're testing a deployment strategy where individual git branches get deployed as itty bitty standalone instances so that management can play with stuff that's in-progress. It would be nice to get UX/UI review at the same time as code review.

Review apps will rock your world. We use the Heroku version and it makes the feedback cycle 20x tighter and significantly more participatory. Also makes running CD super easy. The only reason for staging to exist is to have something for throwaway data. Otherwise, once the review app is :+1:'ed in both code and UI/UX/QA, you can merge it and go to prod.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

asur posted:

That seems great in theory as you actually see the person work and they get to work with everyone, but I would almost certainly not do it unless unemployed.

yeah, my question to them is, "how many potentially qualified candidates just don't apply"?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

2nd Rate Poster posted:

Here's 29 pages worth of total compensation data from non-senior software engineer employees at google. https://www.levels.fyi/salary/Google/SE/L4/ The average is 258,000 dollars.

Just go away.

Yeah, you can hit that total comp surprisingly easily in Austin, SF, NYC, and a few other places if you're willing to go in to the office. Harder to hit it remote and in the middle of nowhere.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mega Comrade posted:

I definitely feel myself creeping towards the latter. Its hard to stay enthusiastic about programming when you do it 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I'm not starting to dislike my job or anything, but when I get home I find myself wanting to do anything as long as its not programmer related.

Ah man, I'm sorry to hear this. I might be in the weird camp where writing code is both job and hobby, so while I enjoy a bunch of other things, I'm perfectly happy working the day job then snuggling up on the couch at night and playing around with my side projects.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Infinotize posted:

You are a hack and a stain on the profession, or at best a pretty lousy troll

If troll, it's been very effective, seeing as they've managed to derail the thread, consistently, for 2-3 weeks at this point.

OTOH, it's like a good heel in wrestling, as everyone's come together to know that this is the most wrong person on the board.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

rt4 posted:

Similar situation here in mid-sized southern US city. Go full remote, you probably won't regret it.

I think that the market trend is toward more remote. Digital Ocean's been doing some surveys and has been showing movement in that direction. Virtual offices are the best.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Fool posted:

Remote is hard for companies that are used to a traditional model of collaboration with people all in the same room/building.

Remote works best with companies that have remote work as part of their culture from the very beginning.

Yup. It's hard to transition a company from a single office to fully remote, but if you're already distributed, adding remote employees is not that difficult.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

vonnegutt posted:

I've realized that I become functionally braindead for coding at about 4pm every day (when I start around 8am). So I've accepted that spending time at the end of the day trying to learn new stuff is useless. My solution is to front load my day with personal stuff - spend 30-40 minutes first thing in the morning on coding something personal (or more recently, reading) before getting into work stuff. I enjoy it, but mostly I've been digging deeper into work related stuff, nothing like building a project in a different language.

This sounds pretty normal. Personally, I get productivity in bursts. I start my day at 9 and get my first big burst at 11AM. I'm still working the rest of the time, it's just that everything seems to get easy about 11. Then another big burst happens right around 4:00. When that one wears off, it's time to quit for the day.

The old night owl me would also get one between 10 and 11PM every night, but that time is better spent either sleeping or spending time with my partner.

As far as self-learning strategies, I don't have much for you, sorry.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Careful Drums posted:

Wow I thought "build what you wish existed to learn" was a good strat but now I'm questioning that.

I suppose writing souped-up TODO apps would let you learn to work with new things a lot faster than trying to magic up the future with languages and frameworks you don't know.

I mean, as far as How's advice in this thread goes.. it's not his worst idea. To paraphrase, "start a new project that makes uses of new tech".

I mean, I'm a 'doer' rather than a 'reader' and I'd rather write a new side project that might have some economic value rather than a hello-world app, so I guess I follow How's advice?

Unless I'm giving How far too much credit and his suggestion to learning new things is to build new things.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, not really. Same lovely codebase, same ill-defined product, same language and framework, same kind if technology. But it’s not like it’s the same problem over and over, if it was I would have automated it away long ago (and I have, for the ones that were). That said, it does feel stale and pointless, mostly because of poor planning and bad product ideas.

Well yeah, that’s called a job. A company pays you to maintain an existing product and implement/fix stuff as needed. The hard part is never generic, it’s always about archaeology and investigation into the stupidity in front of you. That’s the grand majority of our problems as developers, wrapping our brains around things we don’t know and learning how to make that faster and easier. Oftentimes that involves (EDIT: for example) cornering Engineer X and getting them to tell you what database backs the reporting service and what stored procedures and tables are involved.

In some ways yes, others no. Ruby/Rails stuff is the same as ever, but I’ve been doing AWS stuff recently too. That said, there is nothing new under the sun for the core product, because it’s mostly a configuration store. Also, I now know loving loathe reporting and anything involving data warehouses and poo poo, because poor implementation is directly contributing to my recent daily pain.

Really, I haven’t grown much as a programmer in the past couple years, but I’ve grown a lot as a developer. I’ve learned how to:

- take lead on a project/epic and see it to completion
- coordinate with other teams and engineers to unblock myself and get poo poo done
- prevent stupid misunderstandings and misconceptions between technical and nontechnical individuals and temper expectations
- drag arcane knowledge with a bus factor of 1 into the light so we don’t work with useless poo poo
- jump into new and unfamiliar codebases when no one else can or wants to do the work
- make up for holes in a team’s organizational capabilities by being involved in things that other teams and organizations need from us (i.e. de facto team representative)
- advocate for not doing stupid poo poo wherever possible

and that has made a hell of a difference. I’m less impressed by someone who can write a graph traversal algorithm than by someone who can integrate two lovely monoliths maintained by 2.5 engineers total without losing their mind and making it impossible to understand for future generations.

You just described growing from a junior to a mid/senior developer. Well done!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
See, as soon as How stops posting, this thread goes back to being dead.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

CPColin posted:

This is part of the reason I didn't take a vacation by myself last December when I had a week off that my gf didn't; I was afraid I'd just keep going and never come back lol

:smith:

I took a 2 year semi-retirement when I turned 30 where I worked on interesting things, generally enjoyed myself, and lived off what I had saved the previous 6 years. Set me back career-wise, but it was a good period of self-discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Steve French posted:

Who's got two thumbs and is moving to the mountains to work remote in two weeks?

been remote 6 years now, but really thinking about a move to the mountains very soon. Downside is that people pay you less working remote, so California is outside my budget.

kitten smoothie posted:

My big advice for fulltime remote is all about establishing "work time/place" contexts.

People always talk about WFH jobs and how you're clearly just slacking all the time. It's just as possible, if not more so, for it to lead to overwork. Especially if you don't work to create boundaries in time and place and you start just working from the couch or in bed.

Obviously, having a dedicated space for work (and only work) solves the place part. But removing the commute also removes a "ceremony" that marks the beginning and end of the work day and helps refocus you, and I found it really beneficial to have something else to replace it.

For me, it's as simple as sitting down in the kitchen for breakfast/coffee before starting work in the morning, and making dinner in the evening. Whatever it takes for you to make into a practice that just says "I'm starting work now" and "I'm done for the day."

Oh, and my one treat to myself (that I justify because remote means making NYC money while living in the Midwest) is I go out to lunch. Seeing people who are not my family on a daily basis is important to me and getting lunch hits that, even if the interaction is just with the folks who are making my burrito at Chipotle.

This is all good stuff. I have the issue that I have only a single great room so I'm at my desk working then I move 10 feet to be "off-work". I hate being closed off in an office, but next house is going to have to have multiple living spaces for working in.