Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Midwest oldie here, and I can't recall the last time I've seen Ruby on a resume (maybe 2018?), and it's challenging to find someone that doesn't have Python in their toolkit in 2021. That goes for oldies and all the intern/recruiting events I'm part of. I'd be shocked if Ruby/Python switched roles, but crazier things have happened.

Unrelated, I'm having the "I've flipped my bit and am making a change - let's discuss if that means I stay here or go" talk with my director today. Wish me luck.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

cum jabbar posted:

Crystal seems cool

Well now that Steve Klabnik is angry at Amazon about Rust, we need to find some other esoteric language to hype to the moon - so why not?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Anyone else have FOMO for getting that FAANG experience on your resume? I've been at everything between startups and F100 multi-nationals, but getting to the age where ageism and bias and crap start creeping up, and wondering if I would regret not having a several year stint at one of the "big" companies.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

asur posted:

You'll regret it just like you'll regret not joining a specific startup that 10x'd and IPO'd in a year while glossing over that it was a dumpster fire, a lottery ticket and/or all the other problems.

All good advice, but holy poo poo I'm in this post and I don't like it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

oliveoil posted:

Finished internalizing DDIA so I could probably get at least one senior level offer at this point[...]

[...]hopefully they will just give me the signing bonus and save both sides the headache.

What about the part of the interview where they try to assess how it would be working with you? Because if you're like this outside of the forums...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Tiax Rules All posted:

How are most folks lining up interviews with figgie companies? During my last search, the only unsolicited FAANG recruiters I heard from were Amazon. I'm in New York making 175k at a big bank, way more than I thought I'd ever make. But a few years with a stupidly high salary like I keep seeing on levels.fyi would go a long way if/when the good times finally end. Am I crazy for thinking this way?

Work on cool poo poo (at work or on the side) and keep your linkedin up to date. I used to get pinged by FAAN (Google never reached out) until I changed my profile to just say "Develops stuff" and now I get almost no recruiter emails. It's nice if you want quiet for awhile.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm trying to make that dreaded lead -> manager leap, but my current manager and the VP don't really have any interest in promoting anyone into management even though we have 4 open slots and some existing managers have up to 4 teams under them to cover. I've been trying to raise this with the VP for a few months with no avail. In the meantime I've been looking for other work.

It's funny because my company is the exact opposite - they can't figure out how to grow leads, so they push them into manager roles.

I'm starting to realize, I could try to navigate all this bullshit with moving teams, promotions, and salary increases or just walk down the virtual street to another place and get at least 2/3 right out of the gate. Sunk cost fallacy / career complacency are tough.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

take boat posted:

Career Advice: how can I fit in and help in the post-nuclear apocalypse, and what's the TC for that

The apocalypse needs problem solvers who aren't afraid to change the status quo in a dynamic and fast changing environment. Also sales/marketing people.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

LLSix posted:

What is going on with FAANG? I've had multiple cold calls from recruiters for Facebook, Microsoft, and now Google hiring for hourly contract positions this week and I've never seen that before.

Didn't you hear? FAANG doesn't exist any longer.

https://twitter.com/DynamicWebPaige/status/1453817780365520903

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I was thinking about this earlier: what idioms or rules of thumb do people here see that other devs just don't "get", or that they tend to abuse?

My latest favorite: "Monoliths are bad" *proceeds to crank out 50 nanoservices in the name of decoupling*

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just met an ex-Apple guy who did acoustic engineering for them (how the noise/vibration of capacitors and whatnot impact form factor) and he's retired at my age. Major FOMO of figgies going on now, even though I'm pretty well paid.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Presto posted:

I have no idea what this even means.

Max your retirement savings to the limit of tax benefits. There's a certain point, $150k or so where it helps to think about ways to reduce adjusted gross income. Retirement savings and children's tuition accounts, etc. At that point, depending on cost of living, you could consider saving a lot harder.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'd hope everyone in here is at least to the point where they're like "what do you mean my 401k has a limit" and "how the gently caress do I lower my AGI".

This is all pointless when the water wars start anyways. Live and drink, friend.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

WIS is the dump stat.

pokeyman posted:

Y'all don't get a doctor's note so you can write cannabis off as a medical expense? loving amateurs, this is why America is a once-great nation.

Put a pot leaf on the flag, you coward Biden.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Harriet Carker posted:

It's worth even applying to and interviewing for a job you're not planning to take just to get a competing offer and interview practice, for what it's worth.

All of my best and most rewarding interviews were after I "prepped" with one I didn't really care about. Helps get the rust off.

Plus, you never know who you'll meet or what will come of it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

My current employer told me in the interview that WLB was really important and it does no good if I get burned out and leave. I took it with a grain of salt. A few years later - I've only worked a handful of 50 hour weeks, and the one time I did an 80 hour week, I got gently chewed out (and awarded a bonus) :shrug:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mantle posted:

However, in the invitation email the recruiter provided some resources about how to prepare and they basically were all made by that techlead YouTuber rear end in a top hat.

Link for the unaware?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

gbut posted:

Wasn't that guy a relatively recent Twitter main character? Something about becoming a millionaire at Google, and then dumping his wife? Don't remember details, and I'm not gonna research it because gently caress that guy. Yikes for anyone providing links to his videos, but at least they like to wave their red flags, I suppose.

I was curious, so here's all you need to know:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

If Guice is "spaghetti", what is using Spring/Micronaut for DI? A pan of lasagna?

If I have to pass certain things around a lot and manual constructor DI is painful, I'll sometimes reach for Guice (just the basic stuff, MultiBinder and the like usually aren't worth it). That could be a smell that things aren't laid out well though.

These libraries and frameworks make it easy to add complexity. Sometimes that's good and gives you ROI, but my experience is that people grab what they've always used because it's comfortable.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Love Stole the Day posted:

no but seriously what's wrong with it?

Conversely - what value are you getting from it, and is that worth the extra time effort to implement and understand the reliance on this library?

A lot of poo poo works and doesn't seem too bad, but it can be death by 1000 cuts. People getting too clever with DI happens pretty frequently, and is entirely avoidable.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Every problem I've had with DI frameworks involved people loving with features they shouldn't have hosed with.

Quoting this to the moon.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Anyone hear any stories about working at Roku? I'm not personally interested, but they've completely burned through any good will with me as a consumer in the last year, and I'm wondering if that "disorganization" carries over into employment.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Happy log4j 0 day to all the JVM devs out there!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

30m stand-ups feel like torture because they absolutely are.

If your update is more than 30s take it elsewhere (so I don't have to be bored by it)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Hadlock posted:

I reflexively decline all meetings scheduled after 4pm unless it's with a c suite, usually with a note "I don't schedule meetings after 4"

I've never had anyone complain. It's a dick move, but so is trying to schedule a 4pm meeting

Not a dick move IMO. I even do this for Fridays, or other days of the week that end in "y".

"More meetings" is bureaucracy's answer for everything - do your part in shutting down the thing that is designed to prevent organizational change from being easy.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I really like my current approach to documentation:
- every repo has a "reason this exists" and simple design diagram right at the top of the README.md, and how to debug and deploy
- playbooks for common things like "how to reset kafka offsets"
- insomnia and navi configs
- markdown ADRs for the big problems

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Has anyone org figured out a pivot away from Docker Desktop for OSX yet? Given the lack of news, I'm assuming a lot of companies will be paying Docker in a month.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Hadlock posted:

Installing via brew or using podman? Or did you want a GUI too

GUI is not important, but podman was rather low level if I remember from looking at it a few months ago.

awesomeolion posted:

Anyone have tips for how to navigate a large tech company? I have this vague fear about it being very political and cut throat. Anyway I'd love to hear any hot tips or pitfalls from people who've been there and done that. tia

Find the highly visible places where merit trumps politics, which may not exist depending on where you're at. Talk to people and learn about the org and be very intentional about what you work on and who you work on it with. Listen to problems and solutions that executives are passionate about and work closer with those tasks. I just "interviewed" 6-7 teams before choosing a new one to move to, and made sure there was lots of rewarding work, good executives, etc.

It shouldn't be too political at a healthy place until you're at Principal/Director level.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's the old adage of "people don't quit companies, they quit managers" and the converse. And the people signing off on your promotions/bonuses/etc. are 1-2 levels above your boss usually.

If those roles are vacant, in another country, have no idea you exist, dislike you, etc. it can be beneficial to proactively move far away.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

a dingus posted:

How many of you have worked at a company where it actually makes sense to try and get promoted vs leaving? I've only worked for a couple companies. The first for ~7 years and it was definitely not worth trying to get a raise. The second, who knows yet. But it seems like in today's market it makes no sense jumping through hoops for a year for a promotion vs just interviewing elsewhere.

I've done the promotion/salary hop 3 times and this is the first of 5 companies I've been at where it's felt worth trying to move up. Recently made the choice to try for my second internal promotion. Interviewed a bunch of teams, found one with a high reward, high visibility outcome and made it clear up to the Senior Director my personal goals were very closely tied with those required by a promotion.

But I also haven't interviewed since before the pandemic and I'll probably do a few soon just to check my market value, and all those plans could go out the window.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

An anecdote for the negotiation stuff: a recruiter once asked what I made while I was closing a deal. I really, really wanted to work for this company and I was dumb so I told him. Except I legitimately made a typo somehow and sent him a figure that was $20k higher than I intended.

He didn't blink, and sent back an offer letter for my typo plus an extra $15k.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's probably worth talking about just how expensive talent acquisition is. It can easily cost tens of thousands of dollars to hire someone, so it's a huge waste of time/money for a company not to seal the deal. Not to mention lost productivity from having their projects running with open headcount.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

And how relevant is location for this? East coast/SV - yeah it tracks. Omaha? Yeah, nah.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

edit: I can't read this early. The market is such that you don't need to necessarily rely on that leverage if you'd like a clean break from healthcare. It may be a good foot in the door though.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 23, 2022

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

A scenario looking for advice... an important part of my promotion process is an upcoming major project. I've put a few dozen hours into the planning and prep of this effort with a partner and we're about to pitch the whole thing to executives.

A new direct manager just got brought into the mix. They're asking to kick off the presentation and present some of the content we had planned. My, and my partner's, initial gut reaction to this is emotional. I haven't responded to the request yet.

I'm also cognizant that butting heads with this manager early on probably wouldn't outright sink my chances, but could certainly make it harder and/or cause me massive headaches. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and hopefully remove some emotion from it, but I'm not sure how to respond.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's even a rooted acyclic digraph, so you can insist on correcting them that its a RAD, and irritate pedants everywhere.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Performance reviews where you have to advocate for yourself are dumb as loving poo poo and stack rankings are even worse.

The best manager I ever had was only half as an effective advocate as I was for myself. Take daily or weekly notes on your accomplishments. Yeah, it's doing your managers job but there's too much money on the line not to.

gently caress stack rankings to hell and back.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

These all sound like management or culture problems, to me. (I've experienced them but I've also experienced the opposite!)

Why would someone else know your accomplishments better than you?

Even with a great manager, and I've had some, it helps to remind them of why you're awesome.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Fully agree on having digestible PRs and using things like stand-ups and pairing to catch issues ahead of time.

Hadlock's post reminds me of something I'm starting to deal with on a new team.

I thought the original intent was points were subjective. If you're going to make points objective and consistent across the team, why not cut out the middle and size things by days of work?

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Edit: dumb stuff, and I'll think of a better way to ask my actual question

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 23, 2022