Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
where do i get 5mil in my bank account i would like to have an extra 5mil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Could you do consulting

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Paolomania posted:

Controller/Coodindator/Manager and Worker is more officey and less social dominance.

Is it though?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Sab669 posted:

Traffic is that bad around Denver? gently caress. I was looking at relocating to Denver/Boulder.

same

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Why does this happen? I understand like the competition of frameworks whatever but like why would a single company allow it to happen instead of enforce standards for their tools.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Ither posted:

There's a lot of talk about attending bootcamps, but has anyone ever taught at one? Or taught/tutored in some other formal environment?

Recently, I've been feeling the need to give back. I'm thinking about becoming an educator.

Does anyone have advice on how I would go about that?

I teach at one. I happened to meet the director of the program (before he was director) at a workshop and have run into him at a few meetups before. He reached out to me with the opportunity since he was needing people to teach... so I guess networking. If other programs are like the one I'm involved with they are dying for teachers so I would honestly just contact all the programs in your area and see if there is any openings.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
its not in the companies interest to give feedback to a rejected candidate especially not honest feedback

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Today's (second) phone screen with Google was definitely... interesting. We had some connection problems so it didn't register until afterwards that my interviewer had actually hung up on me due to time reached without saying anything. After waiting a minute, when I called back they were confused, so I also was confused because at first I thought it was a disconnection, but I realized they actually just hung up??? Without ending the interview?

lol

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i dunno if i can post in this thread yet but ive done contracting at 2 different companies. one where i was on a whole team that was contracted out to create projects with such strict requires and timelines that mgmt could then bill the client for change orders when bugs inevitably appeared or it wasnt really what the client wanted, and one where i was a butt in a seat at a huge travel tech company that i just left last month. if its contracting of the first type, dont do it because it makes you feel like poo poo producing an inferior product

barkbell fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 27, 2021

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
its monopoly money op

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
dont listen to the haters oliveoil, bet big on $NET

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
700k is a huge and nice house in omaha, 700k is not as huge and nice house in sf

barkbell fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 17, 2021

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
u sound like an rear end in a top hat

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
scaled agile/safe: micromanaging is bad, mgmt should actually do nothing and thats good, but leadership is vitally important

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I just moved to Colorado this summer from Nebraska. Im enjoying the massive amount of sun.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
weird response from the google recruiter... congrats on the nvidia role

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
SAFe sucks. PI Planning just takes up a whole week and a half of meetings.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
post the bug

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
my po is incompetent

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Can someone explain to me what a product owner does?

My po claims to “own the backlog” which means theres a tax on every piece of work to get it created and prioritized because they are non-technical and actively hostile to hearing about technical details. It doesn’t make sense to me for someone to simultaneously own the backlog and also be incapable of understanding, defining and breaking down the work needed.

I’ve had a po in the past, but they just came to me with business needs and requests and I would tell them what it would take. This po, however, sees it as their job to micromanage every ticket and also present preformed solutions instead of business requirements.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 25, 2022

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
We have a product owner in the scrum sense. We do safe. This po started at the company in jan. Every team has a po and a scrummaster.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

biceps crimes posted:

The scrum team fails when something difficult needs to be done that's engineer driven and the po scrutinizes and knifes every idea because they own the backlog. A bad PO is poison to an engineering team and wider engineering culture. I'm interesting in how others have worked around this, I've seen it done that where was this negotiation for 50% engineering driven/50% product feature work split, but that gets into constant weird horse trading depending on how aggro the po is and doesn't account for the ebb and flow of how work comes through vs important higher value initiatives that need substantial upfront discovery and planning to be done by engineering

Yes. This is what I'm experiencing. We have an old application that we support but in the last few months the scope of work for our team has shifted to creating services for other teams, creating libraries, etc and she is basically deprioritizing that work constantly because she doesn't understand the value of it.

We've been working around it by creating Trello boards on a per project basis that we control so we can track the "real" work that we are doing and she can own the Jira board. I'm sure this is not ideal

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Jabor posted:

If you just didn't do any of the work the PO is deprioritizing, what would the consequences be and who would bear the brunt of them? It definitely sounds like there's a disconnect between what the PO wants and what engineering wants, but there's a huge difference between "the PO is deprioritizing work that's actually really important to the team's objectives" and "the PO is deprioritizing work that's entirely outside of our team's scope but looks really fun to work on, and other teams have mentioned that they'd kind of like it but can't work on it themselves so we can sort of justify it".

I guess these initiatives would not achieve their stated goal and that would affect other team's work. The objectives we have are clearly stated for the quarter and are based on the feature set that the project manager (po's boss) has said they wanted. Other team's objectives directly depend on our work.

Maybe I should just say 'not my problem' and let a bunch of things fail. My fear is that it will reflect badly on the team as a whole and not just the PO.

e: regardless, thanks for everyones input

barkbell fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 25, 2022

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Jabor posted:

I think the big thing here is that the team's official goals should be aligned with your team's actual goals. If the PM is giving out objectives to other teams that depend on your team doing work, then you doing that work should be included as part of your team's objectives. If it's not, you should be pushing back on requests from other teams, and ask them to include it in your planning for the next quarter. If being responsive to other team's requests is something that the business as a whole requires from your team, then the act of "supporting other teams" should be on your objectives and taken into account when planning how much explicit objectives work your team can take on.

Doing a whole ton of heroic work to help other teams meet their objectives while not making much progress on yours is a great way to end up not being rewarded for your work at all.

The services and things we've committed are the actual and official goals. Maybe I just need to learn how to better communicate the value and importance of the work needed to achieve those goals.

Also I forgot to mention my PO 2 weeks into the quarter removed all the work for one of our goals from the backlog and unilaterally decided we are going to fail that one. Just bizarre.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Ensign Expendable posted:

This is something I keep a close eye on. Very often a high priority goal fails because it depends on work that isn't identified as high priority. I find it helps to build a dependency graph and show it to whoever is in charge of prioritizing things, or even tagging the dependencies with the goal in Jira. These things aren't necessarily obvious or even visible even to people who spend all their time there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll investigate how to effectively make and present something like that.

Jabor posted:

Although to give the benefit of the doubt, if the PO talked with their counterpart on other teams and identified that the other team's work depending on that feature was the literal lowest priority objective for that team, then downprioritizing it to focus on the stuff that other teams are more likely to actually need this quarter makes sense. And if your working relationship has already deteriorated to the point where taking something off the board entirely is the only way they can stop you from working on something...

This was work that we planned to tackle at the end of the quarter. We started on some of it because we were blocked on our other major initiatives. She was in tears in a meeting with myself and my manager about that work saying she'd rather the whole team take a whole 2 week of pto than do any work in regards to that goal. I am open to the idea that I'm totally doing something wrong here but I'm not convinced.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 25, 2022

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Motronic posted:

This is the first mention of your manager. I've been wonder where they were/what you've told them about this/what they think about this. Because this is very much their issue to deal with.

They also have the same concerns, and their solution is to do some meetings to define the work since I have the best context into our highest-priority stuff which is pretty technical and cross-team. I will use the dependency graph idea from above to hopefully help with these.

Jabor posted:

I'll be honest here - that sounds like someone who has worked with engineers before. You really got "blocked" on literally everything to the point where you were working on the absolutely lowest-priority objective in the first two weeks of the quarter?

A lot of engineers can feel very productive "making progress" on a task that's largely inconsequential while letting the important work slip, because pushing the important work forwards involves talking to people and actually resolving blockers, which is much less fun than just knuckling down and punching out code. And yeah, if that's the situation, telling them to literally do nothing at all instead of that low-priority work is sometimes what it takes to make them realize that hey, actually there are ways we could be making progress on the actual important things.

When I looked at the board after that meeting, and about 20% of the work we were doing related to the low-priority goal. We weren't blocked from moving forward on other things for an actual 2 weeks, it was just a hyperbole they said. We did have extra bandwidth though which is why people picked up some work relating to the low-priority goal. I think only 2 devs on a team of 6 picked up work relating to that. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have some good ideas to help with communication and things to keep in mind to keep myself in check.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 25, 2022

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
the less code you write the fewer tests you need

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
therse some near shore contracting teams churning out enterprise fizz buzz in the name of clean architecture. i dont even know how to respond to it

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
just code an app and put it on github

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
just say you like the culture, it will flatter the hr person

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I am transitioning from swe into a more cross-team technical leadership role at my company because the year long cross-team project went poorly and was an embarrassment for the CTO. The company has about 50 swe across 7 teams that are mostly siloed with their own infrastructure, pipelines, applications and services. This results in a lot of duplicated functionality like multiple applications that are managing accounts with their own concepts of what an account is (which confuses our users and customer support). When applications do need to communicate across teams, the APIs adhere to no real standards, change unexpectedly, and most teams do not build their integrations to be tolerant of that which can lead to disruptions and outages. The VP desires to move the org to a more service-oriented arch which is a pretty big engineering culture shift and causing a lot of friction not just in engineering but for the business to understand how to organize around that.

Has anyone been in or seen a similar situation or have any resources to share that may be useful? tia

barkbell fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 23, 2023

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

cum jabbar posted:

I'm in the same situation and the advice I'm giving myself is "find a new job" if possible in this economy. The teams don't communicate because their own leaders don't communicate and the CTO also doesn't communicate. Failures affecting the entire enterprise often get handled by DMs among god-knows-who because the leaders in charge of the flakiest services "hate support tickets."

Totally agree. Leaving is always an option and there is a large communication problem. The current VP was running some "architecture working group" that was just a way to delegate tasks that the VP should be doing (setting strategy, API contracts, etc) to the individual teams to figure out (which caused problems of differing solutions amongst teams).

ultrafilter posted:

Are they giving you the authority to make the necessary changes? If not, you're being set up to fail.

It would be a title promotion and associated authority afaik. How that plays out and if teams/leadership respect my authority is another thing. I wouldn't have any direct reports so I'll need to exert authority through other means. I've been successful i the past here at changing process and driving culture change through tooling and services. My initial thought is to focus on API contracts, but I'll have to dig into each teams' apps first to get my bearings.

The CTO wants me to take over the working group and use that as a platform for exerting influence on engineering initiatives. Tech leads come there asking for answers already so I think that could be promising.

Thanks for all the comments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I was put into a similar a situation recently but from the side of the individual being promoted to staff. I also had a lot of imposter syndrome from not having as many YOE as other engineers. Something that has helped me cope with that imposter syndrome is noting that a lot of engineers have no interest in making the move from senior to staff as the nature of the work changes a lot. Also, accepting that I’m being effective in my role at my current company, doesn’t mean I would be an effective staff elsewhere but that doesn’t take away from the accomplishments i have made so far. Maybe that kind of thinking will help. Just wanted to share my experience

E: or just tell them to take the money