Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
we're not going to see much of anything from major developers because most of them are going die off if you can sell a million units in two days and that is considering 'disappointing'

<- guess who's gonna be the last one left standing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
How much of the lore of Valenwood did they just completely loving disregard for TES:O? All of it? I suspect all of it, except 'it has trees', probably.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
if you read a dance in fire and then played teso and went to valenwood, would you even suspect they were the same place

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

The Sharmat posted:

I could swear I remember something from before release about TESO having a secret FOURTH member of the Tribunal

so at least whatever they've done to Valenwood isn't as dumb as that
haha I don't believe that

no one is that stupid, even your typical game developer/writer/whatever

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I want to find who's responsible for that and tattoo my avatar to their forehead

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Doctor Goat posted:

saving the best for last:

everyone's mouths are constantly open if they're talking and constantly shut if they're not and it's like someone mixed the mouth movement track for tim allen grunt mod in with vanilla morrowind
To be fair Bethesda still haven't got that quite right either, as of the final patch of Skyrim.

Maybe OpenMW can finally get precipitation right. That will be good enough.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Upmarket Mango posted:

chim is a state of mind. everything you perceive as the ultimate truths as granted to you by CHIM ultimately exist only to you inside your head. vivec says he knows the truth of existence and that gives him the power he has. even tho he says he has this power, everybody else in the real world have no concept of such a thing as CHIM and what it entails. regardless of what vivec perceives himself as, everyone else perceives him as somethign different and he has no control over that. wouldnt a real god be able to control such a thing? either everything inside vivecs mind is real and he really is a god, that makes everything else just an illusion, not real and nonexistent. and considering we are the nerevarine and thus have the real tangible effect on the world, im inclined to believe vivec is lying. he doesnt have CHIM and ultimate power over existence because of the simple fact that we the player exist. if everybody undsterands CHIM is ceases to be a thing.
Vivec has CHIM because he knows about the Construction Set, but all he does is put lame rings in various places around Seyda Neen and installs lovely pregnancy mods.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

The Sharmat posted:

what does he say when you click homosexual

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I'm hope it's like eight paragraphs and boring as poo poo. Lore-friendly, in other words.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Heavy Lobster posted:

If you could best describe the ways in which Morrowind/Vvardenfell is alienating in one post I think this would probably be it.

Speaking of which how do you all pronounce Dreugh? I've kind of flip-flopped between "droof" and "droff" myself.
dreg

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
did oblivion have dreughs or was that a mod that added them

dreughs own

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
it's pronounced to rhyme with greg you fools, I heard a shivering isles dev say it in a video once

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pewdiepie posted:

If your gonna criticize dagoth urs voice you might as well attach a link to a recording of you doing Dagoth Ur's voice in your ideal way.
I will after I finish my housecleaning simulator so I can explain to everyone why the Sims 4 is going to be terrible

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
wealth beyond measure, outlander

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I want to live in an alternate universe where Shivering Isles was fleshed out as the primary title and then they made a DLC later where you traipse around the Imperial City sewers or something.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Featuring Patrick Stewart as Sheogorath, I guess.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The thing about ESO is it continues the proud tradition of Zenimax squandering their first, or at least their second biggest franchise. In this case so they could be ten years late to the MMORPG party.

What if they had spent that money making a single-player TES set in all the provinces of Tamriel instead.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
every tattoo ever was a bad idea

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

sinking belle posted:

i would much rather play oblivion's setting in morrowind's engine than vice versa. why hasn't anyone done that yet
because it's a terrible idea, now hang your head in shame

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Doctor Goat posted:

if that is a real mod link it

and any other mods you can think of that i should install. i am going to do my whole try-to-install-255-mods-and-play-it thing again.
are you gonna use that mod I linked for you in the mod thread

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Abandon posted:

how come wood elves are obnoxious little dipshit gnomes in morrowind
because morrowind is the only game in the series to accurately portray wood elves

legolas get hosed

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
necromancers in oblivion were terrible but the one necrophile they had was pretty chill so w/e

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

which would probably be hilarious at least

imagine the battle-scarred nord warrior who's been hounding your footsteps appearing at a window in dungeons sometimes like a g-man whose presence makes lettuces fly around the room, finally stepping forward to confront you, and once you find him at the bottom of the hole he fell down when he stepped forward, he announces that he will finally take his bloody revenge for that time he saw you accidentally open the lockpick minigame when you clicked on his friend's shop door at 8:59am
he finally gets close enough to steal focus and trigger dialog, and a skeleton kills both of you while he's talking

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Buck Turgidson posted:

Anyone using OpenMW? The devs posted a bug which is pretty funny:

Guess its a good thing that script bugged out in the original game or MW would have got pretty weird at the end of the main story
So are they just going to duplicate all the bugs that make Morrowind a loving chore to mod for in the first place, or what? Why not just supply a patch that fixes the broken scripts instead?

Because what's the point, then, if everything is broken in the same way? If I wanted an executable with heaps of obscure poo poo wrong with it, one of those has been available for 12 years and can be downloaded from Steam.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Upmarket Mango posted:

They're fixing the bugs otherwise it'd be a lot of redundant work when they later on go in and change poo poo up anyway.
No, they duplicated the bug so that the script didn't work, rather than just fixing the script (or just removing it, in this case, from the sound of it).

I can see the logic in trying to get a base executable that mimics MW, warts and all, for an initial release. It seems like they're making extra work though, if the plan is to eventually fix the bugs they spent time reintroducing in the first place. I guess they have a master plan though - they're smart enough to make OpenMW in the first place, after all.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah you're right they probably just check if that particular script is running and then break whatever they need to break, I'm gay.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The Thalmor are in Skyrim as guests of the Empire, and their crimes are far worse than anything Ulfric has ever done, which includes apparently giving refugees room and board, putting traitors in Markarth to death, and not telling Galmar's idiot brother to shut the gently caress up. Truly a monster.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

A Steampunk Gent posted:

i really wanna know how bethesda went from making one of the most well thought out and internally consistent fantasy games ever made with morrowind to literally everything else they've done since. even accounting for kirkbride and co leaving it's like they lobotimised every single one of their designers
Check out a Todd Howard interview sometime if you want to know why TES is what it's become.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
wtf are you fags doing just get the mod that nerfs stamina/fatigue loss from running and jog everywhere jesus

the game is great but there are some legitimately annoying things so fix them

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SunAndSpring posted:

To this day I still wonder why the Dragonborn, a person born with the innate ability to yell so hard he changes reality, feels weaker than the Nerevarine, a dude who has no innate powers.
because they added essential NPCs and took out levitation

shouting is pretty neato but I prefer killing whoever I want and leaping across a continent before anyone can do anything about it

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
hey goons what do we think of tes:o?

*skips out of thread*

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Hey guys I heard a rumor that they're making a sequel to morrowind, its going to take place in the imperial province, I can't wait to see the cool jungle pyramids and moth priests they come up with!
That's a pretty sick burn and all, but Oblivion merely shits on TES lore, while TES:O straight up says 'none of that stuff ever happened'.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Buschmaki posted:

I heard that they made Moon Sugar not a drug but just a plant and all the drug stuff was just anti khajiit propaganda and that sounded like tbe dumbest poo poo ever.

E: i also remember the "lore master" or w/e also said that everything in earlier Elder Scrolls games were just like bullshit and exaggeration and that teso was gonna be the REAL DEAL.
I thought they just said that the second era wasn't very fleshed out so they could do whatever they wanted

which I guess is the sort of thing you would say if you never played any of the games before or read any of the in-game books/literature or had gently caress all to do with TES at all before 2012

then you might think that

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Abandon posted:

i checked the dates and it's 300 years before dagoth ur awakes so the tribunal should be at the height of their powers. if they were to accurately portray them in an MMO they would have to have human GMs who could gently caress around with the world at will or something, but instead we get almalexia run out of her own temple by a small group of daedra for inadequately explained reasons
Are we talking capital D Daedra as in some Daedric princes, or d daedra like a few scamps and maybe a clannfear or something.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
yeah I already knew the answer to the question I just wanted it on the record

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Man Whore posted:

That skin color ain't healthy for a Dunmer, no sir.
That's clearly a Falmer.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

originally I was kinda joking and i wasnt gonna do it, but now I definitely am, you fuckres
do it

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Sito posted:

that's the only good thing about two worlds, but it is very good.
Someone explain why these games are bad.

I own them, and I've played them both for a combined total of about an hour or two, probably. It seems like they should scratch the same itch as Morrowind sorta, but, well yeah they do suck. I just can't put my finger on why. It just doesn't suck me in the way Morrowind does - hell, it doesn't suck me in the way Oblivion does and Oblivion is pretty terrible for all sorts of reasons.

From what I gather the story in the second one is really dumb but who cares about that. What else?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SunAndSpring posted:

Really, long intros are obtrusive and rarely ever interesting. Only ones I ever liked were Half-Life 1 and 2's because they had good atmosphere and showed instead of told you what was going on. HL-1 shows you that Black Mesa is cutting edge, yet also cutting corners within the first 10 minutes just before the portal breaks, and HL-2 shows you a world after alien domination up close. Skyrim, on the other hand, just kind of vomits out all these terms and things at you. I think the worst part of it was when you escape from Alduin and get into the fort, and your dumb Nord friend says, "DRAGONS ARE THE HARBINGERS OF THE END TIMES. THIS IS REALLY SCARY," to you like you couldn't have figured that out from what just happened.
Also of note, you said 'dumb Nord friend' even though the game presents you with a choice there, because that choice is probably one of the most stupid player choices conceived in video game history: "should I run off with the dude that just saved my life or the dude who shrugged his shoulders as I was sentenced to death for no good reason?" Really interesting storytelling there, Bethesda :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

• Locked thread