Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

morrowind will never be topped by another wrpg, though new vegas came daaaaaaaaaamn close. and lol @ anyone who says oblivion and skyrim have better combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I love first person games where I swing a sword at a dude and it misses repeatedly even though the animation clearly shows it connecting with the target. That's some amazing game design right there!

look at this scrub who didn't play as a mage

everyone laugh at him for being a moron

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

how's pooping your pants vital to being stealthy anyway

well why don't you tell us mr. diarrhoea

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST

what the hell are you playing as, an orc or some poo poo? if you start as a breton with destruction as a major, you will never fail to cast a low level spell even at zero fatigue, and you start with fire bite.

becrumbac posted:

the dagoth ur fight kinda sucked

but it was kinda on the level of how dagoth ur kinda sucked, so.

(the real climax is meeting vivec, right?)

agreed, the final battle sucks. but i never cared much about the story or even the quests, since morrowind's strengths are in getting lost in the wilderness and exploring caves and poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

becrumbac posted:

isn't that what the sermons are? asking you to kill him? because me maybe killed nerevar?

almalexia killed nerevar, as is made blatantly obvious through the tribunal expansion when she reveals herself to be completely loving insane.

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

the blandness of skyrim and oblivion makes it seem better in hindsight

ehhh, skyrim's not so bad, though i have an admitted soft spot for taiga-type poo poo. it's a decent enough world to run around in, and the completely optional diy poo poo was a lot more fun to me than it should have been. i still prefer morrowind to it, but i feel confident in calling skyrim a good game and an unprecedented giant leap from oblivion, the most bland game ever made.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

soscannonballs posted:

Oblivion is worse than Daggerfall.

daggerfall at least has the fact that it was a really impressive game in its day going for it. there is absolutely nothing redeeming at all about oblivion.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

The same is true of skyrim but the existence of fast travel kind of railroads you into doing as little exploring as possible. It's a lot more fun to replay imo if you use an alternate start mod and disable fast travel because there's a lot of loving wilderness and caves and there's some really goofy poo poo off the beaten path and in the random encounters.

i already don't use any fast travel aside from the caravans and don't need mods for it because self control is a thing. the only real downside is how enemies have so much drat health, so walking from point a to point be is always extended by several minutes because i ran into a bear that took 30 hits to kill. the combat in skyrim is so fuckin annoying and unfun, worse than morrowind.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dyzzy posted:

The first time I played Morrowind was on xbox. Dear god those load screens

Same, sunk some 900 hours into it. Unfortunately, my DVD drive died and I don't have that Xbox hard drive anymore so I can't go back and look at the poo poo I did in that save file :(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Protagonist posted:

Nobody does the main quest.

Yep. If you're playing an Elder Scrolls game for the quests, you're playing the game wrong. Although the Tribunal Temple line was actually pretty good after you got past the absolutely retarded pilgrimage quest.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hog Butcher posted:

this happens in oblivion and it's not even done right there, I had Cheydinhall to the point of unplayability from the dupe glitch and was trying really hard to make it work again and couldn't get one to appear and help

we don't go to cheydinhall anymore

the dupe glitch is one of the only fun parts in oblivion. a friend and i were playing and he filled a shopkeeper's store with so many skulls that the game wouldn't run at more than like 5 fps. it was awesome.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Emasculator posted:

gently caress you, the pilgrimages were awesome. Walk from Vivec to some random loving island in the middle of Sheogorath without talking to anyone? Best quest ever.

That one was fine, I meant the first quest, where you need to go to seven different shrines before it allows you to do any other quests. It was fine the first time because I was able to explore places I hadn't been to, but on subsequent playthroughs, it's just tedious.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Black Pants posted:

By the way, the real way to begin every Morrowind game is to give Fargoth his ring, then wait til 11pm on top of the lighthouse, steal his stuff from the trunk, and sell it. And you know it. :colbert:

Doing this and the tax collector quest so you can buy a sabre and a few spells from Arille is still the exact way I play the first ten minutes of Morrowind to this day.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Whorelord posted:

nah, oblivion is pretty much the worst game i've ever spent any considerable period of time on

yeah, it's one of only two games where i was actually upset with myself for playing to completion. complete garbage.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cantorsdust posted:

i enjoyed it because i have a deep seated desire for open world games where i can hit things and get stronger, but oblivion is probably the blandest, least exciting version of that ever

and i've played two worlds

the thing that makes me hate oblivion isn't even so much the blandness, although that made me dislike it before any other problems showed themselves. what really pushes it over the edge into poo poo for me is the level scaling enemies and artifacts, the fact that enemies become stupidly tedious to kill after like level 20 or so, and the fact that you need to level up the proper skills and attributes or you are hosed.

it's literally easier to beat the main quest and every side quest in oblivion at level 1 than it is to do it at level 20. that is not the mark of a good game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SunAndSpring posted:

The Dwemer were loving hilarious. Remember that one part in Skyrim where you learn what happened to the Snow Elves? Specifically, that the Dwemer let them into their homes, mutated them with alchemy, and then made them bestial enough to change their souls from black (which all sapient beings have) to white (which only animals and most Daedra have), just so they could be harvested for use in non-essential soul gems in their robots? Fun times.

the changes they made to the dwemer aethetics in skyrim really irked me

i mean i really dodn't explore many dwemer ruins in morrowind because there was rarely ever anything there, but at least they had a really crazy style to them. the skyrim dwemer are really boring in comparison, crazy machines aside.

also if i had my way, elder scrolls 6 would take place in morrowind (all of it) with morrowind's dwemer aesthetic in the age where the dwemer were still around. maybe right before they hosed themselves. it could be a really, really awesome world to do a game in. which means it won't happen.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Blue Raider posted:

i think you may be misremembering how cool dwemer ruins in morrowind were. they were cool enough but they looked like metal russian churches and the interiors werent anything. if anything skyrim put more character into the architecture imo

i liked the complete lack of character though. the dwemer in lore came across as no-bullshit, assholeish, reclusive scientists. their poo poo in morrowind gives off the same impression. it isn't pretty, it is all about function.

and i'm definitely not misremembering because i started a new game a couple days ago and have been to three of them so far.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Saying Skyrim/Oblivion look better than Morrowind is kind of wrong imo even without mods - yeah they have fancy shader bullshit and bump mapping, but it really quickly becomes evident that their look isn't actually functional. You could drop me into any part of Morrowind and I could say hey, I'm probably near Vivec, or I'm probably near Sadrith Mora, and then navigate to anywhere else by walking around signposted paths and foyadas with landmarks, without looking at the map. Skyrim and Oblivion look great until you realise everywhere looks the loving same and it's not really built for travelling, you can't realistically go anywhere without the map. Same with the towns, you instantly know what MW town you're in and what house owns it by architecture, in Oblivion I could not tell you anything about any city except the IC. They did improve that in Skyrim to be fair.

MK will be sending us all a C0DA love letter tomorrow!

skyrim is a bit better in this department. the southern highlands near riften have their own kind of look to them, for example. it's not as drastic a difference between areas as morrowind's at all, sure, but it's still much, much improved over oblivion, where aside from the swamps near lewaiin, i could never tell where i was at all without a map.

playing morrowind again the past couple days really does drive home to me how loving well it does what you're talking about though. so much more care went into building that game's world, and it becomes so apparent. even things like generic random bandit caves have so many little touches to them, versus when you're playing skyrim and it's blatantly obvious that caves in that game were all derived from a few small puzzle pieces put together.

the only complaint i have these days about morrowind is remembering where poo poo is. i wish i could forget and discover it all over again :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Disco Infiva posted:

I remember all those years ago when I first played Morrowind, I came upon Ghotfence and saw a lone ash monster banging his head on the wall. Was so scared that I couldn't come near the fence for quite some time.

the ash creatures were creepy as poo poo. especially ascended sleepers. those and the ash creatures that don't have faces just get under my skin and creep me the hell out in a way that very few games ever have.

the entire atmosphere of 6th house bases is really well done as well. i remember finding kogoruhn for the first time, thinking it was just another dunmer fortress like the other 5 i'd been to. oh man was i wrong, that place is the hosed-est place in the game and it still makes my skin crawl.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

i feel like i was in a huge minority for disliking oblivion at the time, the only people that seemed to share my opinion were on fuckin RPG Codex. now skyrim is out and everyone has gone from "yeah everyone hated oblivion but this game is rad" to "skyrim got kinda boring morrowind owns" over the course of a couple of years and its like some strange bizarro world

regardless of whether someone personally thinks skyrim is any good (i do like the game, not nearly as much as morrowind obviously but w/e), i think that anyone who played oblivion and then skyrim would have to have realized how bad oblivion was and how much better skyrim is. though i'm not entirely sure how anyone could have liked oblivion in the first place, even if they hadn't played morrowind, because the game is just annoying as hell. the level scaling is annoying, the quests are annoying, the oblivion gates are annoying, the combat is extremely annoying. the only parts of oblivion that are not annoying are just bland as all hell instead. the only part of oblivion that was kind of cool was that fighter's guild quest where you get high as balls and slaughter a village. and when a fighter's guild quest is a highlight of an elder scrolls game, that's when you know the game sucks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hailthefish posted:

The Redoran manor compound is in rear end-gently caress, middle-of-nowhere, Ashlands. I still remember the way there by heart.

I've never played the Telvanni House but I assume it's similarly poo poo?

The Telvanni stronghold is the most remote place in the whole game. It's also the coolest stronghold by far though, and placing a mark there to return to it kinda makes it being so remote a moot point.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Emasculator posted:

As a bonus, you get to kill your equivalent in Hlaluu and Redoran, so their mansions are yours for the taking once you kill the poo poo out of the people in them.

Unfortunately, any competing strongholds are not actually finished when you kill the master. They only get to the second stage of construction. It's a shame in the case of the Hlaalu stronghold, since it's relatively nice and in a really convenient location. The Redoran one sucks so much that it doesn't matter, however.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My favorite mods are just ones that add to towns and cities. There sadly aren't as many as there should be, but there are really good ones for Balmorra, Suran, Vivec, Seyda Neen, Ald Velothi and Tel Uvirith. And then there are some really bad ones like Ald'ruhn Expansion, which just contains a bunch of poo poo that looks completely out of place and awful.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smokyprogg posted:

realtalk is there any good reason levitate was taken out of oblivion/skyrim? or is it solely based on gently caress fun

because cities are separate cells and since levitate would mean you could get over the walls, the games had to not have it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Also because it ruins their ~gameplay~ in Skyrim where the dungeon exit usually takes you to some high up place you couldn't reach - it would suck to just lock all the exit doors because the player would get a locked door 50% of the time, but it would also be 'gamebreaking' to let them just levitate up to the dungeon exit.

i can't be the only one who hated these stupid shortcuts, can i? they are dumb and really make the dungeons and caves feel so much more linear and same-y.

those shortcuts, and the doors you can only unlock if you have a specific key, those are both some bullshit, man.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smokyprogg posted:

or open up the cities, but i assume that's for some bullshit console limitations

gently caress no, elder scrolls games have always been optimized like poo poo. open cities would have probably made oblivion unplayably laggy on 70% of the pc's that people played the game on back them. poo poo, i put open cities on my computer and it made oblivion run worse than unmodded skyrim does.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smokyprogg posted:

also i'm installing tamriel rebuilt now. has anyone had any experience with it? is there actually poo poo to do or is it just scenery?

last time i checked, the latest two sections are 90% scenery and caves, which do have loot, but few if any quests. the first map has a good amount of quests however.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smokyprogg posted:

i think the oblivion gates could have been cool fuckoff setpieces if they were sensibly paced and didn't devolve into being literally more common than seeing another person in the expansive void that is cyrodiil

oblivion gates would have been ok if exploring around inside them was fun at all.

but man, as boring and bland as the overworld was, those shits were many many times worse. i don't know how the gently caress you can make what amounts to your game's version of hell boring as poo poo, but they sure succeeded.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hailthefish posted:

If there were like 7-10 of them, and they were actually fun, it would have been cool. They were an interesting setting at least.

What we got was a loving ton of them assembled randomly from a bunch of bits and pieces that you go through over and over again through the longest most arduous path, each one largely the same.

in fact, they weren't even assembled randomly. there is a small pool of premade areas that are chosen from when you enter the gate. if you explored more than a couple, then the reason it felt so same-y is because you were probably in a literal exact duplicate of an area you'd already been to.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

:siren: Landfall in 3 minutes! http://c0da.es/

e: aaand the site went down because of the heavy load.

"THE UR IS RIGHT! THE INFO-FOAM IS READING ALMALEXIA'S MANIPULATION AND FORMING COUNTER-RESPONSE SEX-AGGRESSION BREAKBEAT HORNET-SHAPED HOMING MISSILES OUT OF COUNTLESS GANGSTA RAP MUSIC VIDEOS! THIS MIGHT GET UGLY!"

What in the holy fuckness am I reading :psypop:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i want to see this made into a game so, so badly

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I remember the first time I went looking for the mudcrab it turned out I'd murdered him at some point for being a mudcrab so I had to load up the TES construction set and add another mudcrab to that island.

Also I took some more MO screens while I was in vivec

So pretty

I unfortunately had to choose between shaders and distant land because my laptop cannot handle both at more than 20 FPS, so I turned off shaders. Once I get enough money I'm prolly gonna build a modest desktop mostly just for Morrowind.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Flaggy posted:

If I don't have the patience, I really don't, is the overhaul fine?

Well it took me reconfiguring overhaul like 10 times to finally get settings that both looked good and played at a respectable FPS, so I think this probably depends on your PC. If you have a fuckoff gamer rig it'll serve you fine, whereas in my case it would have taken far less time to just do it myself.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Capntastic posted:

This sounds super fun but I am a person who has not played before, what would be easiest and most forgiving for me, also tell me the stats to pick and also I guess starsign

Breton, magic specialization, intelligence and endurance favored attributes, The Mage as birthsign.

Major skills:
Destruction
Restoration
Alchemy
Alteration
Medium Armor

Minor skills:
Athletics
Mysticism
Conjuration
~free slot~
~free slot~

You will have a good amount of magicka and start with firebite, a decent spell, and you'll have more than enough Destruction skill to never fail to cast it. Medium armor is the worst armor by the end of the game, but the most common set in the whole game is medium and it's very competent without being fuckoff heavy and you can get a set easily. Conjuration can prolly be thrown out for something else. You probably want to throw some kind of weapon skill in one of those free slots for if you find yourself low on magic in a fight, but this should not happen if you're resting after fights.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Capntastic posted:

I like the idea of not using direct damage magic and/or punching people into comas rather than killing them, but I dunno if it just requires a lot of time to get better at because I tried to punch a mudcrab to death and it took like a full minute

In order for you to be able to do damage with hand-to-hand, you need to deplete the fatigue of whoever you're punching before you can actually hurt them. It's a fun skill but it's really not for beginners at all.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Capntastic posted:

What are the upsides and downsides to weapons

Should I go spears because of spears??

Spears are fuckin baller but there aren't many good ones and they are the second least common weapon behind crossbows. If you build a character to use them though, they are brilliant.

Actually, speaking of which, crossbows are also a shitton of fun if you can find some and a place to reliably buy lots of bolts from.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crewmine posted:

Which is that, the kickin' rad spear you can get at the end of Bloodmoon? Because that thing was incredible.

I'd have to imagine he's talking about the Spear of Bitter Mercy, which is indeed badass as hell. And also comes as a reward for an awesome quest.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Actually, any skill you pick as a major or a minor will level slower than misc skills do. Skills also increase slower the higher they are. The best way to increase skills you want to use a lot is, paradoxically, to not pick them as a major or minor. Of course it also makes that skill hard to use at all, but this can be sorta counteracted by picking a race and specialization that grant bonuses to that skill.

That said, even having a skill like destruction as a major, it'll still level pretty fast. In fact, the destruction skill gains experience every single time you cast, even if you do not hit anything with a spell, and it also gains the same amount of experience regardless of how much that spell cost to cast or how much damage it does. So just make a spell of fire that does 1 point on touch that costs 1 mp to cast and cast it over and over on nothing until you run out of mp. And this is also true of restoration and alteration as well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cliff Racer posted:

I'd stick restoration in too. Its one that you can use a lot practically and if it fails you just rest.

Restoration is actually pretty nice because you can use it to fix yourself after you run into a bonewalker (gently caress. THOSE. THINGS. Way more annoying than cliff racers), or get rid of a disease or blight without needing to carry potions around. Restoration also lets you fortify, and having a decent fortify strength spell is always a good idea if you plan to go dungeon diving and want to be able to carry all the loot out easily. It's amazing how quickly you can become overencumbered, even with 100 strength.

Oh and athletics gains experience twice as fast in water, so swim to your destination whenever you can. Hell, cliff racers will also ignore you if you're in water!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Lenin posted:

Its been awhile since ive played morrowind or oblivion, so correct me if im wrong - wasnt the only way to get the high stat increases when leveling up by increasing major/minor skills? Like if i didnt take destruction as a skill, increasing it alot wouldnt get me +5 wisdom on level up? 300 hours of Skyrim has made me forget how the old leveling system worked.

No, any skill increases, major minor or misc, count towards the attribute bonuses. No matter what the skill is listed under, each level it goes up counts as +.5 for its governing attribute. The smart way to level is to make sure you have 20 skill increases, 10 in two skills that each are governed by a different attribute, and then using the third bonus on Luck because luck owns. I do this out of habit these days, generally relying on trainers to make sure I do it right.

Also, the first attribute you should focus on is endurance, as that dictates how much hp you gain per level, maxing at 10hp/level at 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Throw on a constant effect thing that fortifies any attribute and there is no level cap. You'll be able to use a trainer on a skill governed by that attribute, even if it's at 100. It won't go over 100 but it will still count towards a level up. I'm not sure if there are any bugs if you get to really high levels but that's unnecessary anyway; you're more or less unkillable way before you'd reach any natural level cap.

• Locked thread