Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

i lol'd when bethsoft blew up morrowind forever and ever in the skyrim storyline to make people shut up about how great that game was and how it should be remade etc.

Then they remade solstheim anyway fuckin lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
we're watching you

out land errrrrrrrrrrrrr

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
KILL ALTMY

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

morrowind was the last tes game where you could legitimately break the main quest, get a second chance to backdoor it and break it permanently if you gently caress that up too

This was great, it'd say "wow you hosed everything up retard better load a save" and you'd just defiantly continue anyway and then many hours later find you've just straight skipped half the game with the help of that hosed up spider guy.

Game was amazing.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
If they'd straight removed the civil war and put that effort into expanding the guild lines it would've been better.

Skyrim was ok though, Alduin's alright for a dragon.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

im not sure if hes better or worse than the mustache twirler from oblivion

bethesda cant write villains for poo poo

the oblivion villain was so fuckin unmemorable it's unreal

like, i remember he had a weird plastic balloon face like every other npc but that's it

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
Big sword big armour 0 fatigue LET'S GO

*swish*
*swish*
*swish*
*swish*
*swish*
*crunch*
*swish*

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
The best quest in the game was the one you get from the legion officer where he tells you a "little story" about how the good policeman wants to make everyone happy but needs the "bad people" to go away first, and it basically translated to busting into a bar and murdering everyone inside then hoofing it back to the legion castle before the guards imprison you forever.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

For people who played all of them (lol), how would you rank the endings of Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3?

fallout 3 might have had a retarded "no but you see you HAVE to die it's FATE" ending, but at least it had a proper setpiece at the end with the giant Americabot hurling miniature nukes quarterback-style at the enemy.

skyrim was really poo poo, but at least you get to fight the dragon unlike oblivion where the actual fighting is done by someone else

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
i just looked it up and apparently the king's heir in oblivion was voiced by sean bean what the gently caress

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Dr. Lenin posted:

Oblivion: Thanks for helping that guy banish a Daedra and save all of Tamriel. As a reward for your efforts, come back to us in a week and I'll give you re-textured legion armor

beats "ha ha well done you killed that bitch fucker check out all my buddies flying around woo" then suddenly absolutely nothing

I was so surprised I went and spoke to a bunch of important people to see if there was any special dialogue. Besides the blades and old priest guy there was loving nothing

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
Which Morrowind xpac was better

I want to say Bloodmoon because the new island was actually p massive and had loads to explore, but Mournhold had endless sewers and fabulous pink ordinator armour

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

Crossbows are great for that flat loving damage you get as fast as you can shoot it, provided it connects. Only standard marksman weapon over a dwemer crossbow is the daedric bow.

Also easily one of the most badass unique weapons in the game is a spear.

Which is that, the kickin' rad spear you can get at the end of Bloodmoon? Because that thing was incredible.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

I'd have to imagine he's talking about the Spear of Bitter Mercy, which is indeed badass as hell. And also comes as a reward for an awesome quest.

poo poo actually spears have loads of cool variants

I now regret going blunt on this go round

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Broken Box posted:

others have mentioned adamantium but don't forget bear armor and ice armor in bloodmoon as well, snow bear is p. badass you wear a bear head, medium armor owns and with so many ways to break this game might as well focus on looking cool and bonemold is the best at doing that

Don't forget ebony mail, the best mail

Crewmine fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 15, 2014

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
The first temple quests are pretty bullshit for a layman. Make pilgrimages everywhere where you have to drown yourself and go to the ghostgate through legions of cliff racers. Next quest has you go to a daedric ruin to heal some guy. Then you have to make the sacred silent pilgrimage across the entire map.

Welcome to the temple fucker how tough are ya

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
The temple is so sweet they just straight up give you a magic daedric hammer and tell you to gently caress up every vampire you meet

gonna kill vivec w/ this thing

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Penguingo posted:

THIS IS THE END OF YOU, S'WIT!

NOW you DIE

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
Being a temple trooper makes vivec fuckin horrible as the ordinators being nice to you sounds even creepier than them being rear end in a top hat cops.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Lewie posted:

What's the deal with the other great houses in Morrowind? Redoran, Hlaalu, and Telvanni are pretty well covered. Indoril is suppose to be the Nerevar's great house, right? And Dres is suppose to be a bunch of traditionalists that stay isolated on the mainland?

Indoril appears to have turned into the ordinators, so it's p much just a military arm of the temple. Dres are mainland dorks, yeah.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
Telvanni is probably the best but Redoran is pretty sweet too.

Telvanni just gets so many bonkers quests. The soulgem requirement to build your stronghold is a nightmare unless you know exactly where some big fuckin monsters spawn, though.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Nah, the best one is the constant effect ring that fortifies intelligence and wisdom by 10 points, in an ancestral tomb somewhere north of Seyda Neen. It's the earliest and easiest CE item to get, and you'll probably keep it on for the majority of the game unless you're cheesing loads of money and godly enchants.

Pretty sure villagers mention that tomb if you ask them about rumours. They also mention boethiah's sunken shrine. Seyda Neen is the best-informed fishing village in the world

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

the night dad posted:

What do you think the inside of a silt strider feels like.

it's like sitting in one of those childrens' ballpits except every ball is a slime-covered egg ready to hatch into a tiny silt strider

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

I dunno, it looks a little goofy to me.

Also I think my ideal silt strider mod would need a Red Dead-esque "skip to destination" button, but I bet that's not possible in the engine.

Their graceful leg waggling brings tears to my eyes

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
nord romancer

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

hailthefish posted:

Is there a mod to fix the whole bloodmoon-ruins-rumors thing?

I remember there was one on nexus, but it was recently shipped up to Fort Frostmouth on the island of Solstheim. I don't know what it did to deserve that, but it can't have been good.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

ddinkins112 posted:

Where was that Dremora Lord (I think) who wanted to kill you and rape your corpse (don't worry, he'll be gentle)? That was surprising to say the least when I first stumbled upon that guy.

He's in the Maar Gan shrine, part of a temple quest where you taunt him into attacking you for a pilgrimage.

And yeah why didnt he imply rape instead of just straight up say it what the hell bethesda

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

I Said No posted:

Is it just me or is Bethesda really bad at humor? Like 90% of it tends to be wacky random monkey cheese bullshit and the rest is super grimdark stuff. Bad as Oblivion was, Shivering Isles at least attempted to be interesting but it was hamstrung by just about every single NPC spouting insufferable random garbage constantly.

A lot of the jokes in Morrowind were pretty well done. The condescending tone of the "little story" explanation, stuff like that. I think it might be that they're better at subtler written humour and that poo poo fell away as the focus moved to their terrible voiceacting and retarded jokes departments

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
Skyrim's greatest innovation is creating a civil war that has literally no impact on anything whatsoever
that and "wait... what if mages weren't trusted by normal people? fuckin woahhhhh"

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

That's really one of the things I love about Morrowind. There are quite a few areas where you just are not supposed to go early on, but there's nothing stopping you either. No hand-holding bullshit, no 'this door must be unlocked by a certain key' crap like Oblivion and Skyrim. Actual, real freedom to explore, and if it turns out you aren't supposed to be there yet, remember that place and come back in 10 levels and try again. You can even go to the monastery of the dissident priests and to the cave of the Neverarine whenever the gently caress you drat well please, even though there's really no point to do so until you reach that part of the main quest.

You can go all the way to Dagoth Ur and he's just like "maybe come back when you're actually prepared you colosssal moron"

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Emasculator posted:

Morrowind was a dope-rear end game and the best game of all time, but its soundtrack was pretty drat short. It had a nice sound and I get nostalgic as gently caress over it, but even I can admit that Skyrim's soundtrack was as good or better.

Khajiit talk reminds me of Anhassi. I didn't find that quest weird when I was a kid, but when I think about it now, it's a little creepy. Still, she was nice and a pretty chill bro to hang out with.

there's nothing creepy about doing lots and lots of favours for a weird cat lady you meet in a bar

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
^^^^^
fav picture of dagoth ur, thank you for this

Blue Raider posted:

morrowind taught me never to pick poo poo up for people because there might be an invisible dude nearby wanting to beef

always pick poo poo up for people to lure out beef-havers so you can murder them and steal their powers

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Horror Queefs posted:

So, that said, what should I get? I'll probably make a Medium Armor, Restoration Paladin type class for my first playthrough.

I went medium armour, armourer, 420blunt, restoration and athletics with a bunch of poo poo like alteration and mysticism in secondaries. It means you can go temple/redoran and maybe imperial legion/fighters guild/imperial cult as well, which seems like a p good spread. Obviously you can just get hella rich and skilltrain everything and do anything though, that's always an option.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

If you don't go this route then what the hell are you even playing Morrowind for

I like to set my skills so i can do a couple of lines to the top early as i level, then begin the demigod rampage with the artifacts you get

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Oldstench posted:

i'm not good at getting money early on. any advice?

cast mark on mudcrab merchant

you will know what to do when the time comes to make your first 100,000

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

If you're gonna use Mudcrab, the better idea is command creature him to somewhere less out of the way. That way you can use mark somewhere else, like marking where your quest giver is when you're working through a line.

Personally I'm gonna bring Mudcrab to Tel Uvirith once it's built, although I need to finish the Fighter's Guild and Thieves Guild before I start Telvanni.

gently caress me this is genius, gonna drag that fucker all the way to the high fane

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Dr. Lenin posted:

Is there a site with good maps of each stronghold? I've always gone Hlaalu because I like that setup the most, and thus can't remember what the others look like, but I was thinking of going Telvanni this time around.

I think if you look up indarys manor and tel uvirith on UESPwiki they have maps of the completed strongholds, at least for the exteriors. Indarys is pretty cool as it's a proper little village of two houses and the manor with a wall and watchtower over the gate.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Never, ever go Redoran.

meet me in the arena i will kill you

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

p certain this isnt official but hell yeah Redoran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Horror Queefs posted:

also ill ask this again since i didn't really make it clear in my last post...what's the best way to understand what quests are what, where you go, etc? the in game journal is poo poo and like I said, I don't even know what is the main quest and what isn't. I can't even just try and read and pay attention to everything because I'll literally forget it especially when I go a week without playing.

if you have tribunal use the topics section to look up specific poo poo but the journal is still a tremendous clusterfuck lol

• Locked thread