Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
First off, sorry for the poo poo post, especially the re-post. I am looking to purchase the rights to use your homemade ORIGINAL DJ logo which I will be using on t-shirts, business cards, and websites. You will be highly compensated for an amazing logo/design. I quickly realized $40 was not enough to motivated people to put their real time and effort into a logo.

My DJ name is, 'M.D. MC'.
*Not made up by me but - the M.D. stands for 'Muff Divin'' and the MC are my initials. You can use MD as muff diving or M.D. as in a Medical Doctor. I would prefer the doctor side unless you can be real creative and funny/clever with the muff diving and DJ mixture.

Things to consider including if possible, not all necessary:
Turntables. Or something that makes it clear that I am a DJ without having to call myself "DJ M.D. MC", I prefer just, M.D. MC
State of Texas Flag.
Dallas Skyline.
Full color logo (Neon?), try avoid plain black and white.
Smooth and sheet look.

Something clever and funny is always appreciated if possible, but NOT necessary to 'win'.
Please use a professional program like Photoshop and provide me with different sizes and file types if chosen as the winner.

Things I don't like:
MS Paint program and designs.
Anime-style drawing.
Black and white only logos.

The winner will be chosen within ~72 hours, or when enough submissions have been made that I feel that I can easily pick a winner. If there are two people that have made equally great logos, I will pay both people via Paypal.

Please post your submissions below. Thank you in advance for your time and effort. I have seen many skilled artists and photoshoppers design many other flawless logos that I was highly impressed with on SA-mart. I look forward to seeing the many ideas and designs you come up with. The winner will be clearly noted on this forum and be paid within 12 hours via Paypal. $$$

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jareth
Dec 6, 2006
Jareth

edit: or with this font...

Jareth fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 10, 2014

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
Jareth -
I like the overall idea! The font in the 2nd image is preferred. Is there any way you could change up the color scheme a little? Also could you possibly make the vinyl disc in the background look a little more realistic and remove all/most of the pink dots that surround the edge of the vinyl disc? So far, great start! :hfive:

Jareth
Dec 6, 2006
Jareth

starbucks972 posted:

Jareth -
I like the overall idea! The font in the 2nd image is preferred. Is there any way you could change up the color scheme a little? Also could you possibly make the vinyl disc in the background look a little more realistic and remove all/most of the pink dots that surround the edge of the vinyl disc? So far, great start! :hfive:
Thanks. Here are the changes you requested, although I can bring it in any direction you want as far as color. Take a look and see what strikes you:

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
Jareth-
Yeah, these look better. I prefer the vinyl color to be a dark one like you have put it as in these examples below. It makes it move obvious to the unknowing eye what that half circle actually represents.

Now, can we mess around with the 'foreground' or what I am referring to as the horizontal line design we have behind the "MD MC". I like the part where the horizontal lines connect well with the text but are there some other concepts you can fool around with? Additionally, I like the glow off the 'vinyl disc' but could we also see what it look like if that area outside the vinyl was 'white space' and/or cut off so it would match the background of the page or card/t-shirt rather than have a logo that is solely in the shape of a rectangle. I hope that makes sense. Also can we see what it looks like in one example if we type it as "M.D. MC" rather than "MD MC"?

Other goons, feel free to contribute as well. No winner has been selected yet and new fresh ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jareth
Dec 6, 2006
Jareth
I feel the periods gently caress with the flow of the text, but here it is:

Those are the last revisions I can give you unless you decide to pick me. I have to draw a line. We can work with these small changes like color, transparency, and font if that happens.

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
Jareth-
Yes, I understand. Thank you for all of your input so far. I will pick a winner within the next 48 hours. Obviously, at this point you are the front runner. Please check back here regularly in the next 2 days or is there a better way to get into contact with you? Email?

Jareth
Dec 6, 2006
Jareth
Sure I can check back, thanks for understanding about the spec work thing.

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
Bump. Anyone else have any submissions? Thanks.

DJ Travis
Jan 18, 2008
Thou qualling hell-hated bugbear!

starbucks972 posted:

Bump. Anyone else have any submissions? Thanks.

I am working on something

DJ Travis
Jan 18, 2008

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."
I'm considering it if time permits.
E: Sorry, other things came up.

RGBRIOT fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 12, 2014

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
A couple of ideas for you:

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
NongDong-
I do like the simplistic logo style you are implementing. I prefer the one on top compared to the lower one. Is there something you could do with the background or to add something a little bit more to it so it really catches the eye. Very impressed so far though with how appealing something simple can be to myself.

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
DJ Travis-
Again, I like the idea but I am not sure how original that is? Maybe if you wanted to make the vinyl in the shape of Texas and still use the star in middle with circles surrounding it to make it clear that it is still a 'vinyl disc'? I know it can be re-sized up but I would prefer something that might come out a little larger as well. Thank you for your addition, I hope you continue to work on it so the best person can win.

DJ Travis
Jan 18, 2008

starbucks972 posted:

DJ Travis-
Again, I like the idea but I am not sure how original that is? Maybe if you wanted to make the vinyl in the shape of Texas and still use the star in middle with circles surrounding it to make it clear that it is still a 'vinyl disc'? I know it can be re-sized up but I would prefer something that might come out a little larger as well. Thank you for your addition, I hope you continue to work on it so the best person can win.

e. Alt

DJ Travis fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 11, 2014

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006

starbucks972 posted:

NongDong-
I do like the simplistic logo style you are implementing. I prefer the one on top compared to the lower one. Is there something you could do with the background or to add something a little bit more to it so it really catches the eye. Very impressed so far though with how appealing something simple can be to myself.

I'll give it a shot in about 12 hours. Quite occupied at the moment, hope you understand.

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
DJ Travis-
Could you try making the "MD" appear as "M.D."...Also could you try getting away from the pink in the color scheme? Is there anything you could like to add to the background? If not, lets just cut it completely out so it will blend with the color of whatever I paste it on so it doesn't come out as a black square with colored letters in it. This will be the last revision I for from you before I will soon decide the winner which then we might be able to talk a little more about making it 'perfect'.

Thanks again everyone for their hard-work and submissions. There is still time to get a few more in in the final ~24 hours. Thanks again fellow goons.

DJ Travis
Jan 18, 2008

starbucks972 posted:

DJ Travis-
Could you try making the "MD" appear as "M.D."...Also could you try getting away from the pink in the color scheme? Is there anything you could like to add to the background? If not, lets just cut it completely out so it will blend with the color of whatever I paste it on so it doesn't come out as a black square with colored letters in it. This will be the last revision I for from you before I will soon decide the winner which then we might be able to talk a little more about making it 'perfect'.

Thanks again everyone for their hard-work and submissions. There is still time to get a few more in in the final ~24 hours. Thanks again fellow goons.

The black square is not part of the logo, for display only. I'll have the other revisions later this morning.

DJ Travis fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 12, 2014

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica

starbucks972 posted:

NongDong-

NongDong-
Would you like to make one more attempt and submission? I would really like to see what you come up with.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
Hey starbucks972,

I thought about your suggestions for quite some time but I couldn't find a way to add more effects without the design losing its original clean and simple look. As for a background, I came up with a monogram of the two icons and thought it looks pretty interesting on a name card.

However, I'd recommend keeping it clean as it's gonna stand out from the other DJ logos out there.

Let me know what you think.

edit: Also, I'm not so sure about adding more to the logo as the main idea (MD + DJ) is clear already. Throwing something in there feels unnecessary and might even dilute the idea.

nongdongfongbong fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 12, 2014

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
If anyone else would like to make final submissions, I will be picking the winner on Friday before 5pm.

DJ Travis
Jan 18, 2008
What's going on with this?

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
I will post winner and it will be settled Monday when I get into work. Thanks again everyone for submissions.

DJ Travis
Jan 18, 2008

DJ Travis posted:

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006

DJ Travis posted:

woon socket
Sep 30, 2011

by XyloJW
edit: buttes

Jareth
Dec 6, 2006
Jareth
I loved making my logo for you because Dallas is one of the only cities with an actual dick tower in the skyline. Please come back and pay someone (me).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Eagerly awaiting permaban / uncredited work showing up on his website

watermark your poo poo people

Jareth
Dec 6, 2006
Jareth

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Eagerly awaiting permaban / uncredited work showing up on his website

watermark your poo poo people
Shut the gently caress up nerd.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bump for an update.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Here you go, complete with stolen work:

https://soundcloud.com/djmdmc

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Here you go, complete with stolen work:

https://soundcloud.com/djmdmc

Welp.

Adambomb
Apr 5, 2002

We are Shallow Gravy!
Jeezy Petes, basically every single supplied sample no less.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Not just one piece of artwork stolen either, every single variation of all submissions. DJMDMC!

DJ Travis
Jan 18, 2008
His facebook and personal email is on his profile.

e. After looking that over... he didn't even crop nongdongfongbong's first submission, he must have been in a real hurry to do this.

DJ Travis fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 22, 2014

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Seriously, the takeaway from this is always watermark the hell out of your stuff. This is multiple people getting their hard work ripped off, and short of a permaban there is nothing anyone can do about it.

DJ Travis
Jan 18, 2008

Seriously, the takeaway from this is always watermark the hell out of your stuff. This is multiple people getting their hard work ripped off, and short of a permaban there is nothing anyone can do about it.

You are right about the watermark stopping direct theft, I don't think that stops idea theft. But as someone who has taken part in (seems like) hundreds of these threads and won a fair share this is the first time I've ever see anything like this. I think the assumption is there is some protection being apart of this community and there is. When these types of threads starting getting real traction everyone watermarked everything. I assume given the consistent success of these transactions over time has lead to people lowering there guards, I speak for myself there. Everyone who participates knows that this can happen, it sucks that it has. But speaking for myself this is one of the most consistent ways I can get a little creative work, try some new things and (I've come to appreciate this more over time) help some people out and make a little money. But I will definitely begin watermarking again.

With all the said, full disclosure, I emailed him, sent and invoice via paypal and asked for payment in the comment section of each of the songs he used my submissions. I assume that will go nowhere. Live and learn.

e. some words

DJ Travis fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 23, 2014

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm glad it's never happened to you, but it has happened enough times that rule changes were implemented to try to stem it. Unfortunately "watermark your poo poo" isn't a forum rule.

Also the "idea theft" is a non-issue; clearly he had his ideas for the design from the get-go, and even if he wanted to steal a watermarked design, he would have to have the capability to either remove watermarks manually or just recreate the design himself from scratch, in which case he wouldn't need to commission a design in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Travis
Jan 18, 2008

I'm glad it's never happened to you, but it has happened enough times that rule changes were implemented to try to stem it. Unfortunately "watermark your poo poo" isn't a forum rule.

I know I was there. I just don't have any proof anyone actually took anything. It was more about abandonment/non-payment. But who knows.

Also the "idea theft" is a non-issue.

In this case, sure. But not in every case and that was the only point I was making, which wasn't very clear.

e. I appreciate your point of view about this, I'm not arguing with you, just offering a perspective of someone who actually participated.

DJ Travis fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 23, 2014

• Locked thread