Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

When I was a controller in Germany, the German guard police would absolutely lose their poo poo. People would gently caress with them too, playing soundboard poo poo and funny sound effects. Hearing an exasperated guard policeman screaming on the frequency in a thick German accent is great fun.

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Best of luck to all you goons who have applied, this is truly the best job in the world.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I'm not sure what they were looking for, but the results have been crazy.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

It genuinely seems like there was something wrong with whatever automated process they used to get a go/no go from the biographical questionnaire.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

MrYenko posted:

There's a woman at the academy that greets you on your first day and administers some tests. She has a lot of letters and abbreviations after her name, is probably borderline on some kind of personality test, maybe the one she administers, and is ABSOLUTELY convinced that her statistical analysis can produce better controllers.

I remember her and her speech about how everything we do in the agency will be tracked and checked against her precious test results.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

When I was a controller in the Air Force working at Nellis, the tower was infested with giant camel spiders. Fuckers would randomly drop down on you.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Got CPC today. :feelsgood:

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 5, 2014

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Excellent work, congratulations. When's the party?

It actually coincides really well with some leave coming up this weekend. Just gotta buy chow for the facility and hit up the bar. I spent 6 months in training limbo due to the shutdown and academy backlog, I spent a few weeks at RTF and then got sent back to my facility for a month before going back to finish. Pretty frustrating, but it's nice to be done now.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

How do airshows work, you just cordon off a block of airspace and the participants are free to do whatever in there?

Air shows are run by an "air boss", who doesn't really control but remains in contact with air show participants and cues the next participants when it's time to go.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anyone else annoyed by the new "climb via SID" phraseology?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

<not cpc>
Doesn't remove a lot of verbiage if you can just issue a climb via SID, with the implied altitude/speed restrictions, instead of having to call them out explicitly
</not cpc>

I was previously under the impression that a pilot on a SID was expected to comply with all published restrictions when they're on said SID. But, I'm a relatively new CPC without a whole lot of radar experience.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

That is why you try to get a trainee.

Not worth it, I'll take my dark cave anytime

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I had a C-17 that couldn't get into the local Air Force base because the weather was below mins he needed to shoot the approach. He asked to hold, and I asked him if he was familiar with one of our holding fixes known as WAKOV. The pilot replied "Yeah, we're *very* familiar with WAKOV"

"Proceed direct WAKOV and hold"

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I hope the western service area HR management division had a lot of paper in their fax machine today. Sent 4 different ERRs. Anyone work in Arizona?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

We still have opposite direction, but word is we are about to have to start logging and reviewing every single one.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

two_beer_bishes posted:

Passed the academy today, what a pain in the dick

Good job. A little advice for live training: don't say much at all to your trainer. Don't make excuses when you make mistakes, just keep your mouth shut and press on. Every trainer is going to have some peculiarities they want you to do, just do what they say and keep track of who likes what. After you get rated you can develop your own style.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I've seen Nellis radar controllers used to working red flag come up to the tower and turn ghost white. It's pretty hilarious.

Sup, ex-Nellis buddy? :respek:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Hey man vectoring is too close to actually doing work, can you guys just space then out for me so I don't have to do anything?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

How did I miss this? I wasn't stationed there, but when I was at Kadena, it seemed like half the tower was ex-Nellis tower/radar guys, and the other half were Osan/Kunsan. It was HILARIOUS watching the Osan/Kunsan guys show up cockier than balls and get their asses completely handed to them the first time they worked a heavy. When were you there?

2009-2012

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Sorry about Hulett. Searcy was my first trainee, ever. I was completely green when I trained him so I lucked out, massively, getting him as my first trainee. I was in tech school with the Drewry's.

I was in the tower. Searcy came up to get dual-rated, I remember him being pretty sharp. Worked with Dave D. too.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Congrats! Best of luck during the hiring process. It can be super frustrating, but it's worth it.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

JohnClark posted:

Aye, and like I said, this is just me personally. But speaking for myself, I'd always rather have the basics (who where what) than not.

Same here. I'd much rather have a quick call with aircraft type, ATIS, altitude, and simple request.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

PT6A posted:

Two questions, though: on approach I got "cleared to descent" with no restriction. I clarified, but in the future should I take that to mean I can descend as required for a straight in approach? Second: on ground, I was given clearance to taxi to an intersecting, inactive runway and pull off to allow opposite direction traffic to pass. I pulled left on the runway, but I get the feeling I should have gone right. No direction was specified; was that my fault, for not being aware of where other traffic was taxiing (which I suppose it was, in any case), should the controller have given me an instruction, or should I have asked for clarification?

If you're VFR you can descend as required for whatever pattern entry you're given.

For your taxi question, there's nothing written about it in the regs as far as I'm aware so you can pick which side you want to go to. If the controller needs something specific they'll tell you.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

TangoFox posted:

Changes to the NCEPT and PPT are coming today. Some pretty major changes to training times, which will change percentages significantly in some cases. Expect an announcement at 3pm eastern from the national office.

I'm currently about to try and ERR so this will be of interest to me. What's the best place to find the results? NATCA website?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

JohnClark posted:

The last place I worked not only had strips, we had drop tubes and ARTS 2E :(

Same :respek:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Re: RVP chat. I was getting boned by my ATM over a hardship transfer and my local rep was hemming and hawing and not really going to bat for me. I talked to the RVP and my poo poo was fixed in less than a month. YMMV

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anyone know if aircraft are able to shoot IFR approaches after sunset to a runway without PAPIs?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Yeah the tower called me about this earlier saying they had to change runways because the runway in use didn’t have PAPIs. I’d never heard of that before and couldn’t find anything in the .65. We hashed it out on the phone later and it turns out they were mistaken.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

No harm in blasting ERRs everywhere and then following up with phone calls.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I like a quick callsign, type, destination so I can at leave give the NAS code to you and get the radar ID and altitude report after I see the squawk pop up.

There’s nothing worse than it being fairly slow and hearing “approach, N123BS” and that’s it.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I would keep trucking along and not say anything about your age if I were you.

Every ATC position is listed as a "temporary position" but it's not really. There is just a one year probationary period.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

PT6A posted:

Does anyone have resources or links to example audio recordings concerning filing IFR and/or obtaining an IFR clearance airborne? With visibility hovering around VFR minima here due to smoke recently, I feel like it'd be a good idea to know, and we never actually did it during my instrument rating training. I'd prefer not to have an angry centre controller yelling at me if/when I attempt it for the first time.

If the weather is bad and you just want to pick up IFR to a nearby airport it's pretty easy. Just say you're requesting an IFR clearance to wherever, and the controller will most likely clear you to XXX airport "via radar vectors" and assign an altitude and a new squawk code. That's all there is to it if it's a local airport in their airspace.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I'll become a sup as soon as I can do so in pajamas

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I don’t think we’ll feel the need to delay prisoner transport aircraft

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

fknlo posted:

Anyone here work at ZSE? I seem to remember someone that works somewhere in that area at least.

I'm looking at places I might want to try and go, and some of the washout rates at these places are insane.

What the hell is going on at Tuscon, Portland, and Salt Lake TRACON's??

I work at U90. Despite being a level 8 it's a pretty complex airspace with a very weird and challenging mix of traffic.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Zochness posted:

Anyone have experience with the hardship process? I will be submitting mine in the next few days after we found out my mom has stage IV pancreatic cancer earlier this month. Hoping I can get moved back down to the DFW area before things get too bad. I hope I qualify at all but it would be nice to know a general timeline for transfer if it is approved so I know what to expect. This whole situation sucks.

Sorry about your mom. When my hardship got approved I was gone within a month.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anyone work at Atlanta TRACON? How is it?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anyone at C90?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Looks like I’ll be transferring to C90 sometime in august :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Congrats! I assume you want to go there?

Also lol @ terminal having some modicum of job portability while working at a Z is essentially a permanent non-negotiable assignment.

There is a bit of movement for terminal. We had two guys scooped up in this last NCEPT. The C90 bid is a year long bid with move money though, so it’s not in the same pile