Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WD40 posted:

I remember once I was in a passenger jet and another plane passed beneath ours, big 747 type thing. It couldn't have been less than 100 feet below. I remember thinking 'that's awfully close'. That shouldn't have happened, right?

Your sense of scale is completely off in the air, nice legal if minimum separations can look like you're able to touch the other plane. The wingspan of a 747 is 200 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

Most airlines that I know of schedule 3-6 months in advace, and run close to the same schedule every day. Certain days of the week are usually a lighter schedule (Saturday), and holidays cause the schedule to be altered. But generally speaking Goonflight#1234 will always be between the same cities at the same scheduled time day after day.

If you dig on an airline's website you should be able to the schedule somewhere in giant pdf form.

Somewhat useful if you're trying to figure out why you're not being given certain options or 22 hour layovers or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hjp766 posted:

Who in there right minds takes min fuel into there when it is busy???

A regional airline that had the bright idea to declare a fuel emergency and get on the ground sooner. They'll be bankrupt before the FAA can fine them!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

Are they draining left over fuel out of the tanks and throwing it away? If not, why the gently caress would it matter? How does running minimum fuel save money?

Less weight.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Not in the U.S. you don't, that's not a frequency that would be used here. Or are you saying for elsewhere?

You could get 118.000 or 118.025 (which newer radios would show in its entirety, older ones would show "118.02" and the oldest wouldn't even be able to tune it at all).

What happens if you get "Unable" back for a frequency change? Aren't the frequencies pretty set for the different areas?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Centripetal Horse posted:

What kind of brain fart causes someone to do that? Some light banter, or a quick back-and-forth seems harmless enough, but I assume that everyone takes actual instructions issued to aircraft pretty darn seriously. Am I off on either of those points?

The pilot hit the wrong tx switch to respond to a conversation with ops regarding gates so it went something like this:
plane: ...so we don't have a gate?
tower: then go around...
plane: going around

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Honestly you can never tell. Their response to anything is a complete body jerk reaction. Could be bad could be horrible.

*spins wheel*

The new requirement will be... sleep studies!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's because the Colgon pilot was fat and therefore had sleep apnea and that's why he stalled a perfectly good Q400 into the ground.

Also 5191 was caused by the FO drinking a coke.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I meant Pinnacle 3701, got my delta connection crashes crossed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The FAA prohibits humor and anything resembling "fun"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hey, the registration N359N is available!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FOW-er always struck me as odd too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

When we have a stuck mic, the frequency becomes nigh-unusable, anyway. I'd gladly trade capture effects for more signal quality. I have to hear and understand a read cal of a control instruction for it to be valid, anyway, which can be a royal pain in the rear end when the student pilot from Mumbai is mumbling into the hand mic in a thirty-five year old Cessna two miles from a major thunderstorm.

With digital you probably wouldn't have heard him at all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

Yeah, guy and his dog were on board. Dog died too. They said they found a wing intact about a half mile from the crash site so it looks like he may have lost it and gone down. That loving sucks. Not a drat thing you can do at that point if you aren't in a Cirrus.

Well, airframe parachutes can be installed on most aircraft of that class but yes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Good catch by the Chicago Midway controller when Delta 1328 mistakenly took a take off clearance intended for Southwest 3828 on an intersecting runway. Article has audio:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/06/17/two-planes-at-midway-began-takeoffs-at-same-time/

Stupid news radio. Incident at ~9 min, hope you like heterodyne http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kmdw/KMDW-Twr-Jun-17-2015-0030Z.mp3

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Guilty. I'm a real sperg about aircraft types too, but Helicopters are Helicopters and usually nobody gives a poo poo.

EDIT: I even make amendments when Cherokees are put in as "PA28" instead of "P28A."

Ever get something strange? One of my dad's friends took me up in a globe swift, the conversation with ATC on the ground went something like this:
"... type?"
"Globe Swift"
"Say again"
"Globe Swift"
"what?"
"Golf Charlie one"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Holy poo poo that is a seriously pretty Falcon. :gizz:

For the lazy:

Too bad I didn't win the powerball! :flashfap:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This one then?

I love that paint scheme.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Regarding climb rates, being on a mostly empty MD-88 from DFW to OKC is the most fun I've ever had as a commercial passenger.

Only thing better is a standing take off. I still have no idea why they would have done it, though it was at LEX, maybe they were confused about the runway. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So whats it like in the ATC facilities at Atlanta right now? Just hanging out drinking coffee, waiting for chaos to start?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jiffypop45 posted:

I'm currently working for a contractor as a software engineer they take forever in the hiring process.

I meet all the qualifications and have a good work history for the new opening. However I'm early transition transgender. Do you think my hrt meds/gender identity are going to raise eyebrows?

Your medical is going to be more complicated, see the standards here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item48/amd/gd/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

DFW always manages to have 4-5 aircraft already "rolling" when we tell them to stop departures.

If they never stop rolling after push back it counts right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

He became famous in the area for his first d-side coordination "yo yo point-out comin' at you from da east side, American 1234,"

This should be official phraseology.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its all nice on rice posted:

What would this even entail? It's not like he can just privatize everything because he wants to. I mean, the republicans in congress would totally pass a privatization bill and he would most likely sign it, but what are the odds of it happening?

Boeing will slip a bill under Paul Ryan's door. Reminder:

quote:

During his January 17 visit to Trump Tower, Muilenburg was allowed to listen in to part of a call between Trump and Lt. General Christopher Bogdan. Bogdan is responsible for the Pentagon's F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program. The F-35 is made by Lockheed Martin (LMT) and is a competitor of Boeing's F/A-18 Super Hornet.

Boeing somehow getting ATC while Lockmart got flight service would be hilarious.

...until it gets someone killed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1r3XZQc4Zo

Unprofessional controller? He seemed to just have a stick up his rear end the entire time.

Is that controller arguing with someone that has a weather radar pointed at a cell?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thunderhawk posted:

I recently got relocated to WJHTC to support WARP. We're working an issue out of ZTL and ZDC that maybe you could shine some light on. Its particularly concerning aircraft deviations due to weather that aren't being seen on the scopes. From the analysis done a few weeks ago, 67% of the flights deviating were Delta. Due to the hub in ATL, this number isn't surprising; however, I've seen jokes that Delta deviates from pretty much anything.

The issue we're seeing is that in most cases what's on the scope reported by WARP is accurate with a few outliers in FL240-300. The question I have is whether the aircraft is deviating due to onboard reporting (radar or apps) or are there special protocols Delta or even other airlines are following in relationship to turbulence or weather perception.

I figured even if someone isn't at ZTL or ZDC they've seen this before. I'm not looking for anything on the record, but some enlightenment would help on this. Perhaps I should be asking in the aviation thread?

Let me know if more info is needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_191
33 years and the institutional culture is one of safety, isn't that how aviation is supposed to work?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TangoFox posted:

Holy poo poo.

At ZHU, The agency is putting out guidance that controllers must broadcast all NOTAM's that impact an a/c's approach or landing, irregardless as to whether the pilot says he has them, and/or doesn't want them.

:birddrugs:

Like... literally everything on this page for every arrival into IAH? https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotW...etrievalByICAOs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So it is safe to fly right now with the controllers poor and stressed out?

TCAS take the wheel?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Probably the one claiming DCA was closed when it was easy to see planes both departing and arriving

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Guys, what’s the worst that could happen for cursing over a busy approach frequency? I dropped an F bomb over the local approach last night. No phone numbers were given and no one called my military command this morning. Just wondering.

Surely a USMC aircraft not dropping f-bombs is a potential sign of distress?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

:argh: runway number

55th street

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

ATC zero at midway!

its real, oh my god its real:

Sagebrush posted:

hey if you want a real trip go listen to the KMDW ATIS

https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mount=kmdw_4&icao=kmdw

"Midway Airport control tower update March 17 2227Z. Midway airspace has reverted to class Echo airspace. The tower has been evacuated and is currently closed. Common traffic advisory frequency is 135.2. 1-minute weather is available via phone at 773 884 4424. We are currently unable to provide IFR services on the ground. If need to depart VFR and request IFR services, may received at Chicago TRACON frequency 128.2."

(all the controllers got coronavirus)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm listening to the MDW CTAF at https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mount=kmdw_1&icao=kmdw
Is it normal for people to pattern work and touch and gos at Midway?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

If I lived near Chicago and MDW was ATC-0, you bet your rear end I’d be doing touch and goes, even if it were just to piss off the airport authority.

This Cessna 172 is living your dream and making 2-3 SWA 737s look for him http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/Aircraft/5/N54135.shtm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If centers start closing does that mean that airliners would have to fly VFR?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Or they just re-classify airspace on an emergency basis and they fly IFR in uncontrolled airspace. That is an option, we do pretty frequently in northern Canada. It would represent a huge cut in system capacity, but it's doable especially if flights are restricted to essential flights only.

Uh, do you do one in one out for an entire airway? :stare:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This seems bad
https://twitter.com/NYCAviation/status/1241424691262304257

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

I'll have you know that safety was never compromised!

God bless TCAS!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

I lived underneath the CVG approach path and I’d sit around with my dad and he’d point out all the types

My favorite were the 737-200s with the little sausage engines

Its so much harder to do this these days though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"Are you ready for a phone number"