Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Hi, ATC thread. So I'm wondering what exactly gets taught in ATC school about VORs. I've been flying IFR for a couple of months now, and recently had some very bizarre experiences. I spent a few months flying non-GPS planes, and on an almost daily basis I'd get told to "fly direct [some fix]." The first few times it was amusing, but then I just figured they did it out of habit and I simply said "unable, slant alpha" and they'd quickly give me a vector instead and life moved on.

But one day the controller came back with "um, that's an intersection of 2 VOR airways, don't you have a VOR receiver in the aircraft?" and I was at a loss for words.

Another time, (a few days ago) the ABC VOR at KABC airport was inop. I was not receiving the signal on either receiver, but there was no NOTAM saying it was down. I reported that to the tower controller after landing, and he confirmed "so just to make sure, you're not receiving the ABC approach?" That was some weird phrasing, but I didn't make much of it and just repeated what I already said but a bit more verbosely. Then he asked another (airborne) aircraft to check it out, and I kept listening on my second radio because I was curious. I heard him say something like (I am not exaggerating here) : "can you verify that ABC VOR works, another pilot reported that it doesn't, and it has like a frequency or a signal or something like that, right? "

---

Reading the flight numbers thing, my airline's General Operations Manual (which is vetted by the local FAA office) specifically lays out the correct phraseology as the "casual" way (ex. thirteen oh one instead of one the zero one)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Or sometimes a pilot calls himself "Geronimo" and you can't remember what ID that is (PA23).

Obscure official aircraft types, how I love thee. I currently fly the Beech 99, which is officially named the "Airliner," which I guess is a meaningful name that differentiates it among early/mid Beeches. If you're just talking about early/mid Beeches.

But most of the time ATC will call me out to other planes as "traffic X o'clock, Y miles, Z thousand feet, an airliner" which is pretty hilarious to listen to as I imagine the puzzlement in the cockpit listening to this.

Others will call me a King Air, which, strictly speaking is wrong, but really is about a thousand times more accurate.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Sounds like maybe PANS OPS rules for designing approaches stipulate that step down altitudes have to be below the glide slope, in which case European pilots are used to being guaranteed to comply with all step downs no matter how early they intercept the glide slope, and therefore not worry about it.

That is of course not the case in the US and if international training for European pilots flying here does not include that difference, that is a huge oversight and needs to be corrected.

"The approach" does not just mean the localizer and glide slope, but rather the whole procedure drawn on the approach plate, which may include many segments, the Final (I.e., glide slope) being merely one of them. In a radar environment it's common to be vectored onto a segment partway through the approach (therefore skipping some of the approach) but you're still responsible for flying the correct minimum altitude for the segment you get vectored onto and all subsequent ones.

What I remember hearing about LAX is that it used to have stepdowns above the glide slope, leading leading to many busts.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

xaarman posted:

You can too, but didn't think regional pilots would be that interested in a Beech 400 non moving sim.

That I can do aerial refueling and formation in? Sheeit.

If I can have a chance at a sim that I can land on a carrier, I'd buy an airline ticket to get there. (If scummy charter pilots can go along with the scummy regional pilots)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Controllers working ground or clearance delivery: is it annoying when I ask for a clearance more than 30 minutes prior to departure time? (Assuming that I tell you that detail in the request)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I dream of one day calling overtaking Piaggio traffic to a Citation.

You could have been the woman a few months ago who scolded me to slow down due to my 60 knot overtake on the 737 ahead of me. I was in a Beech 99 (pretty much, older King air)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Heard this the other day:

AAL1234: "Ladies and gentlemen we are beginning our final descent into ORD on American 1234 and are leaving 10 for 8 thousand with delta."
Tracon: "Nice save"

This is the best

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
The other crewmember said "let's just go ahead and give them a courtesy call anyway" :rolleyes:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Not many want to stick out like the sore thumb that doesn't have the street smarts to just do "what pilots do in the real world."

Problem is, when all the pieces don't fit legally, we're the ones (voluntarily) left holding the bag.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
There's an exception for multiple runways with centerlines separated by 1000 feet or less, I think.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Because niner and roger are in all these cool action movies when we grew up. Fife and tree are only for dorkus maximuses.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
The change was years ago now, :wtf:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
So is MRFAP the registration number or what?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Just, uhh..bring plenty of alcohol wipes.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
If it's clear out, we deviate based on out the window. If we're IMC or at night, we deviate based on onboard radar. Roughly zero % of traffic deviates based on Nexrad.

("We" = general airline traffic)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 5, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
So ATC Memes has a "Panic vectors" sticker now, is that a real phrased used? Because if so, that's awesome.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

At some point does this get worse for you guys? I know you're already on "essential duties only" but if this thing continues are they eventually going to start cutting back staffing? I imagine that if they stop your pay we're suddenly going to see 5 hour EDCTs popping up everywhere like we did with the sequester.

Too bad deicing crews wouldn't also be reduced, this combined with that would jack actual block times through the roof!

e: woops it's the ATC thread! Just joking guyz :keke:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
In the AI thread I just defended the position that the goings-on today were in fact :siren:SHUTDOWN:siren:-related because OIS listed "staffing" as the reason for the LGA ground stop and the ZDC flow and one other program. But I just realized that I'm just a pilot that checks OIS, so I'd like to be corrected with more detail if necessary. What say the ATC thread?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

TangoFox posted:

OIS definitely said Staffing this morning. ZDC had no peeps available to work it, and we're still feeling the effects today as people banged out on the night shifts.

He's saying "never" is the baseline and comparing today's events to that baseline, to agree with you.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I always thought a "wheels up time" was just slang for EDCT, but one time they said "your EDCT is XXXX, call us in an hour for a wheels up." What's the difference?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Gotcha, so it's equivalent to saying "call to ensure your EDCT is not revised..."

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

We have radio switches on our cyclic as well as a switch near our pedals...

:wtf: that sounds almost as bad as different version Bonanzas that have the gear and flap knob positions reversed.... and one of them they're just 2 of a whole row of "piano keys." (What could go wrong?)

Stuck mike stories, on my fist lesson as an instructor I got a stuck mike on accepting the takeoff clearance and gave the whole lesson on tower, on a busy Sunday.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I think the SBONO (Sonny Bono) into Palm Springs takes the award for most name compressed into 5 letters.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

"Tower, verify base turn approved, 34Z"

You were right, guy was a dick, there's no piece of protocol that implies a landing clearance stands in place of a "I'll call your base"

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I forgot which thread it was in, but I think it was this one where not too long ago the topic of fix-to-fix clearances came up, and how they don't exist anymore. Well, https://youtu.be/nC-MKCR8Z40

You're welcome.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Holy poo poo. Midway traffic, Southwest 123 takin' the active!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

my friend on group chat posted:

Someone said airlines are calling the TRACON for push clearances.... LMAO
confirm/deny? :lol:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Could get interesting at JFK tomorrow. Supposed to be operating there in the morning. Needless to say I'll be checking OIS before getting in the van.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Someone took a poo poo in a trash can, here.

Seriously cannot make this stuff up.

First I thought this was made up stuff on this comedy forum. Then I saw the second sentence and did a spittake. Good thing I'm socially distanced.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

azflyboy posted:

I have a question about STAR's I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

Going into SEA from the east, we usually file via the GLASR 1 arrival, which has exactly one crossing restriction (JAKSN @12,000/250kt) when the airport is doing south flow.

For the last few months, I've noticed that instead of just clearing us to "descend via" the arrival, the controller tells us to "cross JAKSN at and maintain 12,000, 250kts", which is the exact same thing as the STAR, but with more words.

It doesn't seem to be specific to our airplane/airline, so all I can figure is that it's somehow tied to the lack of traffic from the pandemic, but I'm confused as to exactly why the controllers are seemingly giving themselves more work instead of just having us descend via the arrival.

Maybe enough people have been loving it up by looking at the altitude for the wrong note wrt. North vs. South flow, or the other 2 airports it serves?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
It you say "noseparationservicesprovided" with each transmission then it's OK

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Reztes posted:

I guess what I was getting at is for some reason this person I was talking to has the impression that if he departs VFR and requests an IFR clearance in the air, it’s just a clearance, and there is no flight plan because he never filed one and like somehow he’s convinced ATC can’t file a flight plan on his behalf, only issue a clearance?

§91.173   ATC clearance and flight plan required.

No person may operate an aircraft in controlled airspace under IFR unless that person has—
(a) Filed an IFR flight plan; and
(b) Received an appropriate ATC clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Have. We have people that poo poo in the urinals.

Thread title plz