Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Bigass Moth posted:

Still can't believe the browns knew about Gordon and didn't trade for Stevie Johnson .

They're not similar players with similar styles at all. You can't just have a WR go down and grab any other WR to take his place, you have to think about system, if you have any players filling that role already (T. Benjamin sort of does), and grade him being 27 vs a 22-year-old coming fresh out of the draft.

I'd still have liked to see Lee in the 2nd, mainly because I'm skeptical of a 2nd round OG not named Su'a-Filo but OG is a definite need. I'd prefer a trade up to grab Lattimer, Landry, Moncrief, or Robinson to our 3rd round OLB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Hockles posted:

I'm listening to the press conference. Opening statement from Farmer/Pettine: "We are not going to comment on anything about the conduct or health of our current players. We'd be happy to answer any questions about the draft"

First 3 questions were directly about Gordon's drug test. Each time Farmer repeated his statement, getting increasingly frustrated. Idiot media

How the hell is that "Idiot media" and not "gently caress you Ray Farmer"??

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Josh Gordon getting suspended for the year is the biggest story of the Browns offseason, given his production last year. It's bigger than drafting Manziel. Of course they're going to ask about it rather than why they went with Terrence West over Dri Archer

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well to be fair asking questions after he specifically said he wasn't going to answer them is just wasting everyone's time really.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
no, it's attempting to report on the story and not let him dictate what the story is. and it's reminding him not to be a loving prick, which he was by denying Burleson had an injury the day before when he wasn't at minicamp practice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well have fun with that.

You are going to fail tho. He can and will dictate the story.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
No, if I were writing it the story would definitely start with "Browns GM Ray Farmer didn't have an answer when he was asked about the season-long suspension facing WR Josh Gordon."

have you guys never seen press conferences where the source is asked multiple times about something they don't want to talk about? It's common, and it's a good idea because there's no reason to let him off the hook.

I don't understand the dislike of the Cleveland media in particular here. they're actually really good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Rap posted:

I don't understand the dislike of the Cleveland media in particular here. they're actually really good.

The Cleveland Media went straight watergate on the Browns office after they fired Chud a few months ago. It ruled.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

TFF Browns fans, I'm so sorry guys. This is just ridiculous.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Well, WR situation aside, I really liked this draft. I'm holding on to some slim, desperate hope that the Gordon "sources" are full of poo poo or that he wins his appeal(s) to get his penalty reduced or removed. He wouldn't be the first guy to win, so whatever. Regardless, I'm thinking our offense won't be completely terrible even without him just because we've made the moves to finally have a running game and not have to rely on our passing game.

I'm really excited about our defense either way. A corner with elite potential and a role playing coverage linebacker are both really good pickups that fit our needs exactly. Today's pickup at corner looks like a bit of steal who would have gone sooner had he played in Div I instead of Div II.

e: I also hope the front office/coaching staff doesn't do anything crazy to try to fix the receiving situation. Just ride it out with our defense and running game if that's what it takes; don't do something dumb to get a number 1 WR here unless they really really think this is the year for some crazy reason.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 10, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

If he tested positive for codine, and not syrup, then he has a chance to walk unscathed from this.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Manziel really is being punished for his hubris by a just God

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

John Brown posted:

If he tested positive for codine, and not syrup, then he has a chance to walk unscathed from this.

Cleveland is not allowed to have nice things. ..

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Do you guys think that Hoyer is a very good asset to have on the roster?

If we're going to bring along a guy like Johnny Football I think it's quite good we have a capable QB playing the role of a Gary Danielson/Jon Kitna to ease the transition a bit.

I realize for a guy like him being a backup is not ideal, but I think it's probably the best case scenario for him in terms of his career IMO.

Also the offense should be really interesting to see. I've really wanted to see this team run a zone blocking scheme for quite some time, and I think it could work out well here.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

If we're going to bring along a guy like Johnny Football I think it's quite good we have a capable QB playing the role of a Gary Danielson/Jon Kitna to ease the transition a bit.

I realize for a guy like him being a backup is not ideal, but I think it's probably the best case scenario for him in terms of his career IMO.

Also the offense should be really interesting to see. I've really wanted to see this team run a zone blocking scheme for quite some time, and I think it could work out well here.

JFF, Vince Young, and Hoyer. I'm going to suggest that if JFF struggles, Hoyer is the go to guy and 2nd on the depth chart. Vince Young is for laughs and insurance.

We don't have Jason Campbell anymore, right?

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

wilderthanmild posted:

e: I also hope the front office/coaching staff doesn't do anything crazy to try to fix the receiving situation. Just ride it out with our defense and running game if that's what it takes; don't do something dumb to get a number 1 WR here unless they really really think this is the year for some crazy reason.

Exactly. Let's ride our defense and hopefully upgraded running game to some wins this year. That's textbook football and we can worry about the passing game moving forward.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think he is the perfect guy to have on the roster. By all accounts he is as meticulous in his preparation as Tom Brady. What a great example for JFF to have set in front of him. We can only hope it works out.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will be surprised if Hoyer doesn't start early in the year.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Boo! Week three is Ravens Browns and if he isn't starting by then I'll be irked. Especially if Hoyer is competent.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
We get Pittsburgh and Ravens early, right? And they're the ones with the good defense that likes to cripple, damage and kill people, right? Maybe starting Hoyer first ain't so bad.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So what do you with a guy like Manziel though?

Do you try to teach him to stay more in the pocket or try to cater more towards his freak of nature agility we saw at Aggie?

Does his game translate to the NFL?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

Do you try to teach him to stay more in the pocket or try to cater more towards his freak of nature agility we saw at Aggie?

Probably not. The guys he's going to face in the NFL are likely the best of the college guys and have years of experience, "best of the best." He has to be judicious on when he goes natural and does his magic, imo, or he's going to put himself in a situation where someone kills him before his time. He can't help the other team's defense out. I doubt he could pull his bullshit against something like a Clowney + Watt combo unless you've got a bunch of Wilforks on the front line.

It's gonna be tough if his instinct is to go apeshit and if it comes naturally but he's gotta be able to be a pocket passer at the start and go berserk only when the line collapses or someone gets through to buy time and get rid of the ball. He also can't make things worse for the O-Line by being out of position.

Basically, I think, tone it down. But the alternative might be entertaining if he's that drat good.

Although with Watt + Clowney, they're probably going to get double teamed. Guard/Tackle + Tight End on one side and on the other Guard/Tackle + Runningback.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

FuzzySkinner posted:

You certainly don't teach him to stay in the pocket. If you're trying to turn him into a pocket passer, you might as well have taken any other quarterback in the draft (especially Bridgewater).

You teach him when to throw the ball away and when to just go down. Tell him that it's cool to scramble and do Johnny Football Bullshit but he's gotta learn to go down before contact or he's gonna be crippled and out of the league before his rookie contract is up. If he can do that, there's no reason he can't be Russell Wilson-esque, down to the UDFA receivers.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^^Don't force him to become a pure pocket guy obviously but he has to learn to give a play more than 1.5 seconds before bailing out. Considering Shannahan and his JFF's skill set I see a lot of roll outs and RB trickery.
gently caress, drafting Terrance West was brilliant.

Gatts posted:

Probably not. The guys he's going to face in the NFL are likely the best of the college guys and have years of experience, "best of the best." He has to be judicious on when he goes natural and does his magic, imo, or he's going to put himself in a situation where someone kills him before his time. He can't help the other team's defense out. I doubt he could pull his bullshit against something like a Clowney + Watt combo unless you've got a bunch of Wilforks on the front line.

It's gonna be tough if his instinct is to go apeshit and if it comes naturally but he's gotta be able to be a pocket passer at the start and go berserk only when the line collapses or someone gets through to buy time and get rid of the ball. He also can't make things worse for the O-Line by being out of position.

Basically, I think, tone it down. But the alternative might be entertaining if he's that drat good.

Although with Watt + Clowney, they're probably going to get double teamed. Guard/Tackle + Tight End on one side and on the other Guard/Tackle + Runningback.

Honestly before this draft I thought that the AFCN is one of the better conferences Manziel could go to based on the opposing defenses he'll face. While littered with bruisers neither Baltimore nor Pittsburgh had great speed in the front seven so maybe JFF could bullshit his way out of their grasps. God knows that Baltimore has struggled enough with mobile QBs in recent years. Then both the Ravens and Steelers go athletic MLB and DT in the first two rounds.(I swear the only difference in these front offices is the way they value Corners) Now who knows.

All I know for sure is that getting beat by Manziel on a semi consistent basis would be the most irritating thing in the world. If he has half of Rothelisberger's knack for bullshit at the next level I'll probably assassinate him before his 5th year.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 11, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Cinci's defense is nice and fast, though. Geno chased down RG3 week 3 2012 and Dunlap, Lamur and Vincent Rey are all speedsters.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Geno is barely fixed.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Someone at a wedding last night told me she wished the Cowboys had drafted Manziel so they could "finally get rid of Romo".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

Someone at a wedding last night told me she wished the Cowboys had drafted Manziel so they could "finally get rid of Romo".

I'll take the Romo.

EDIT: Can we have an event that when the ball snaps to JFF yakkity sax starts playing as he runs all around?

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 12, 2014

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Even if they drafted Manziel it would be several years before they could "get rid of Romo" due to his contract and ugh I'm probably going to be one of those bitter old men who hates everybody

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

She deserves the 8-8 final record they'll inevitably get at the end of this season, and for the rest of time.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Grossi said some poo poo:

quote:

A source told me that the card prepared to be given to Commissioner Roger Goodell for the official announcement in Radio City Music Hall originally had Bridgewater’s name on it. Then with 10 seconds to go, a new card replaced it with the name of Johnny Manziel, as a result of owner Jimmy Haslam’s order.

quote:

I had pegged Bridgewater as the quarterback Farmer liked best based on interviews with him and others with some knowledge of the Browns’ draft process.

After I made that conclusion, it was disclosed that a $100,000 analytics study commissioned by former Browns CEO Joe Banner projected Bridgewater as the quarterback in the draft with the most chance for success in the NFL.

Of course Farmer and Pettine denied the gently caress out of that. Hell, the only reason I'm even half believing this poo poo is because its the loving Browns. I believe anything is possible if it gives them a chance to lose.

Comedy option: Grossi's source is Banner.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 12, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Grossi is a muckraker with no sources.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
is there anyone covering the browns you don't dislike

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I still love this draft for Cleveland. Especially when they have two top 15 picks again next year. Filthy

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doctor Butts posted:

Of course Farmer and Pettine denied the gently caress out of that. Hell, the only reason I'm even half believing this poo poo is because its the loving Browns. I believe anything is possible if it gives them a chance to lose.

I absolutely believe this is the case because it's the most Browns of available options.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The thing is with JFF, is I can recall the buzz being around him being a Cleveland Browns for quite some time.

I recall there being a report from Peter King LAST SEPTEMBER stating how Ray Farmer was at a couple of games in College Station.

I recall Manziel being quoted about hoe he "Wouldn't mind" playing in the Dawg Pound, last fall/winter. Something about wanting a challenge or something.

(also I recall around the same time the Browns really wanting to trade for Ben Tate for some reason, and wound up landing him this off season)

There of course were talk show hosts on nearly every radio station cheerleading for the Browns to draft the guy, and pretty much people were already rocking his t-shirt at the draft before he was even drafted.

I do think Gilbert was drafted purely for Coach Pettine. But I think they were going to go for Manziel just purely on the buzz from the fanbase alone. I do think they did their homework on him, but I do think the "Fans are going to go insane" did played in part of the equation.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

After it was confirmed the hobo story was true, no Browns story or tale is too outlandish to the point of being unbelievable anymore.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If I recognized Jimmy Haslam on the street, he'd have a way better homeless dude story to tell from his FUCKIN HOSPITAL BED WITH THIRD DEGREE drat BURNS ON HIS BACKWATER REDNECK HICK CHEATIN rear end SCAMMIN rear end CLOWN FACE and body

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Rap posted:

is there anyone covering the browns you don't dislike

Nate Ulrich
Steve Doerschuk
Bob Frantz
Terry Pluto
Pat McManamon
Andre Knott

Tony tries to disguse opinion as fact and Mary Kay's job could be done by an intern (regurgitate Browns press releases, never break any stories that aren't fed to you).

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Bigass Moth posted:

job could be done by an intern
Having supervised CU journalism interns, this is not the case unless her job is reading Facebook on her phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Alright. Replaced by an RSS script.

• Locked thread