Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
If anyone doesn't know him, the surly guy barking on the phone is J. Jonah Jameson, publisher of NY premier newspaper the Daily Bugle where Peter Parker has worked from time to time over the last 50 years.¨ JJJ's line "Next thing you know there'll be a musical about him with a chorus line of dancing Spider-Men!" is likely a dig at U2's Bono & the Edge's musical Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark.
I don't even know how to describe Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark. It seems to have been at least part Bono's kind-of vanity project, to see if he had what Andrew Lloyd Webber did. It was extremely expensive, overshooting the budget by almost 50% for a $75 million cost. Furthermore, it cost $1.2 million to run the show every week. After years of production, they rewrote the story. At least six members of the cast have been physically injured while being in the show - concussions, whiplash, fractures on arms, legs and feet. To add insult to injury, the show only ran for 2,5 years, failing to make the production costs back. The producers are currently looking for a venue in Las Vegas or Europe.

You can imagine that people liked to take digs at Spider-Man: TOtD. Even the writers writing the Spider-Man comic did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Thanks for pointing out the reference in so much detail.
I may have gone a little bit overboard with it :v:

Thanks for starting this LP, I'm looking forward to further updates!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Great to see this LP back! I especially like your exposition on Anti-Venom and Miguel O'Hara, GamesAreSupernice. The whole Anti-Venom origin is collected in the trade paperback "Spider-Man: New ways to die". It's decent and rather accessable for a person that has watched any of the movies.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

GamesAreSupernice posted:

From what I understand, the writer for Edge of Time wrote for 2099. So while he understood Spider-Man pretty well, and the contrast between him and Miguel, he may not have a good grasp on Mary Jane's character.
Peter David has written probably as much regular Spider-Man as 2099. Can't say I know what's up here.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Neruz posted:

Ahahaha is that real? I don't think I believe I live in a universe where that could be a real page from a real comic, but I really want to.
It looks like the "Marvel Adventures" series - continuity-light, funny stories aimed at a younger audience.

• Locked thread