Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

May be worth adding info to the OP about OCTGN. The interface takes some getting used to but once you do, it's a really nice way to play solo LotR. They also have support for GoT and Netrunner, maybe others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

How are you guys storing all of your LotR stuff? I was thinking about ordering one of these laser cut box inserts and printing dividers for each faction, scenario, and encounter set. Currently I have 2 Cores, Khazad-Dum, and all the APs from the first two cycles, so everything should fit fine. Anyone have a better idea?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

ChiTownEddie posted:

(img from bgg)

That's pretty drat slick, too bad I tossed the boxes from the first AP cycle. I bet I can print something similar though. Curious to hear how it works out for you and how much you can fit in one. I guess I could use a binder for the player cards or buy 2 inserts for my 2 cores and put player cards in one and encounter cards in the other.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

For a light, board game-y LCG for more casual players, the Pathfinder game is pretty great. There's also a lot less to buy. You lose most of the deckbuilding aspects you get from the FFG LCGs and it's a lighter weight game all-around but for casual gamers who haven't tried much more complex than Fluxx and Munchkin, that's probably a good thing. It's completely co-op though.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Rhaegar posted:

Could anyone recommend an online store for buying card protectors. I want to pick up some for my netrunner cards but don't want to pay a fortune.

Massdrop runs occasional deals on UltraPros and Dragon Shields, otherwise Amazon or CSI are probably your best bet. For Netrunner, I like the matte UltraPros in light blue and red so you can quickly distinguish corp or runner cards.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So how does this buying multiple starter deck things work? I just want to play these games with friends. Not competitively.

If you don't care about competitive play, one core set is all you'll likely ever need. If you really get into the game but still don't care about competitive play, you're usually better off buying expansions for a while but you may eventually want to pick up a second core. If you eventually decide to start playing in tourneys, you'll still probably be fine with two cores. If you decide you want a shot at consistently winning tourneys, you'll probably have to suck it up and buy a 3rd core.

the above is true of Netrunner and probably 40k. You'll never need a third core of LotR unless you're trying to do something crazy like solo campaign the nightmare decks with only cards released before those quests or something.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I braved the 2 hour line at FFG's booth this morning and got copies of Conquest for myself and a buddy (plus the LotR encounters from the last 3 GenCons and the new Netrunner datapack). I'll try to get a trip report up for 40k after we play a few games tonight.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Xpost from Board Game thread, initial impressions of 40k. I'll try to answer any questions you guys have...

WH40k:Conquest - take all of my money FFG. Played a few games with the Space Marine and Ork decks. Factions seem to play very differently and very thematically (Orks drop shitloads of relatively weak units on the table; Marines have few, very powerful units). It plays fast too, the game is limited to a maximum of 7 rounds, our games all finished within 5. Lots of potential here, curious to see how the meta and tourney scenes develop.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

S.J. posted:

God I wish I was at Gen Con so I could get a copy of Conquest :(

gently caress Conquest is REALLY good. Branched out into the non-starter decks and my dicks hard with how awesome it is. Not convinced that it's super-balanced right now but it's very playable with one core.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

Any of the Conquest havers, any initial thoughts on the need to buy multiple Cores? I know it's super early to suss it out, but I'm sure there have been cards that you have that are like, oh poo poo I NEED three of these.

Seems to be the usual "only for competitive play". There's a shitload of content in the core but the one-ofs are definitely some of the uber cards (Ork attachment that gives ranged keyword springs to mind).

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yeah they are getting thrown together in a big ol' box with the necrons sometime next year™

Necrons and 'nids are also the only 2 factions that can't ally with (use cards from) any other factions. It'll be interesting to see how that works out and how long it'll take for them to have a big enough card pool to build competitive decks from.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Actually, Necrons can use cards from ANY faction, and it's the Tyranids that can't. Should be fun!

Yep, my bad. Saw them by themselves in the middle of the ally wheel and misinterpreted it. That's thematic too since I think one of their things is possessing enemy units or something?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

So reading the rules for 40k Conquest, could there be a "winner wins more" issue if someone somehow completely dominates the planets, such that their resource and card generation outpaces their opponent? I assume it is extremely unlikely, but it's something that I was thinking about.

From the dozen or so games I've played, I don't think runaway leader is going to be a huge problem but I also think that it won't be uncommon to see a turning point at the 3/4/5 round mark where it'll sometimes be pretty obvious that you (or your opponent) should just resign. That said, if it happens, it's because you hosed up or your opponent had just the right card in hand earlier in the game to derail your plans (we were playing stock faction decks but obviously, building a poor deck could lead to this as well). I mean yeah, if your opponent completely dominates the planets in the early command phases he's probably going to have way more resources later in the game and that would be a bad thing for you but you really shouldn't be letting your opponent dominate the planets (and there are lots of options to prevent him from doing so). Alternately, if you do choose to let your opponent dominate planets for resources, you'll probably be scoring the first planet or two in the meantime and have a pretty big advantage later in only needing one more planet for the win while they're still trying to get their first planet scored.

Keep in mind that if you commit your warlord to a planet and the other player commits his to a different one, you outright win that planet's resources regardless of how many command icons his (non-warlord) units on that planet have. So if you really need the 2-0 or 0-2 planet's resources/cards and it's not the first planet that round, you can usually concede the first planet to claim the resources you need to give you a boost to get back in the game. Then, like SuperKlaus said, you also have strong command icon cards to splash around, either to try to snag some extra resources/cards or to put pressure on your opponent to commit his warlord to one of the planets that you're not committing your warlord to.

Also, if you have cards in hand that you don't have the available resources to pay for, they aren't completely useless as long as they have shield icons on them. That's actually pretty huge and can really tip the balance.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 18, 2014

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

PaintVagrant posted:

My gut feeling is Eldar really want 3 cores. Their whole schtick seems to revolve around recursion and using clutch combat interupts to change the flow of a battle...so if they cant draw those easily then they are in trouble.

So far there isnt a game mechanic that I dislike, but there are a few cards that I am a little concerned with as far as power level. But its way to early to be really worried about that stuff.

Eldar's ability to move around between planets is pretty cool too but I think you're right that that they'll really benefit as a primary faction from having a 2nd or 3rd core. I thought they were a fun faction to play with a single core though and I won the one game I played as them (against Orks). I also think they'll make a really interesting ally faction, even with a single core.

I will say that, right now and from my limited experience, the Ranged keyword seems pretty uber and with something like the Ork unit that can take damage to refresh + Rokkit Launcha you can gently caress poo poo up without your opponent getting any chances to withdraw. That IG card that gives multiple units Ranged is nutso too.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

TheHoosier posted:

I had a lot of fun, and I will definitely pick up some APs, but drat this game can be rough.

Copy/pasting my recent response to another new player who asked a similar question the other day in the Board Game thread.

quote:

signalnoise posted:

Is the Lord of the Rings LCG supposed to be really hard or did I just get really unlucky with my encounter draws for my first game coming up to some 9 HP king spider out of the gate?

Both, and it largely comes down to the difficulty of the quest you're playing and luck of the draw. Some are REALLY loving hard, especially if you have a small card pool to deckbuild from. One of the Core quests is nigh-impossible single player if you're only using Core cards.

A couple tips:
- don't be afraid to mulligan your opening hand if you don't have at least one or two of your key cards in it.
- if you have a small pool of cards to deckbuild from, you pretty much have to build a new deck tailored to each quest. "One deck to rule them all" is basically impossible with just Cores.
- if you're just starting out, read Beorn's Path series of articles, it's incredibly helpful.
- don't get discouraged! It's a difficult game, especially playing one-handed solo, but when you win it's really satisfying.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Mr. Met posted:

I was hoping someone could help me out with some basic questions I still have after reading the OP. My fiancée and I have very recently started to get into designer board games, and are interested in getting some more. (We just bought Twilight Struggle.) The LCG format sounds interesting to me, and the themes are appealing (especially Netrunner and LotR, and maybe Star Wars to a lesser extent).

Our play sessions are just the two of us on a weekday night or sometimes a Saturday afternoon. Neither of us have any interest in ever doing a tournament of any kind. That said, is there still a need to buy multiple versions of the core set/expansions? That would be a huge turnoff - I'd love it if we could sort of treat this as a board game with expansions, like, say, Rivals for Catan. Assuming so, any general thoughts on whether to pick up Android/LotR/Star Wars outside of which has the most appealing theme?

The first thing you need to figure out is if you want a co-op or a competitive game.

If you want co-op, buy LotR. A single Core should be enough to let you figure out if you like the game enough to buy xpacs and/or a 2nd Core. LotR is probably the LCG that least requires buying a 2nd Core (there's definitely some 2nd Core stuff you'll want if you get really into -- more Gandalfs at least but probably some other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head...Forest Snares maybe?). LotR also has the benefit of supporting solitaire play, so even if your fiancee doesn't get into, you can still play it by yourself.

If you want a competitive game, your best options right now are probably either Netrunner or WH40k; choose whichever theme most appeals to both of you. There are other options: Star Wars, Call of Cthulu and Warhammer: Invasion (I haven't played any of them), Game of Thrones (being retired and replaced later this year), and non-FFG stuff like Doomtown, Pathfinder, or Shadowrun. Netrunner or 40k are probably your best bets though. You should be fine starting with a single Core of either, if you guys get really into it you can start thinking about a 2nd/3rd Core.

Keep in mind that if you go for competitive, it's going to be pretty important that your fiancee is just as into the game as you are, since she'll need to spend time between gaming sessions building decks to compete against yours. It's possible for you to build decks for both of you to play but that can be tricky since you'll be hyper-aware of the card interactions and she'll be trying to figure out how the deck you made for her "works". This is much less of a problem with LotR; since you're playing co-op it's not nearly as big of a deal for one person to deckbuild and the other to just play (unless quarterbacking is a huge issue for her).

FWIW I really enjoy Netrunner but only know one other person who plays it (outside of OCTGN) and my wife liked it but didn't like it enough to get into deckbuilding, so we don't really play it together anymore. LotR is one of my favorite games ever, my wife likes it and will sometimes play it with me if I hand her a deck (though it's not really a game she ever requests), but most of my plays are two-handed solitaire. Good luck.

edit: left the response open in a tab too long so everything above has pretty much already been covered.

Mr. Met posted:

Also, I'll probably buy every single expansion in order of release since I'm an insane person.

I feel you on the compulsive collecting thing but seriously, don't feel like you need to buy everything and certainly not all at once. Tales from the Cards has a pretty great xpac buying guide, give it a read-through. My policy is to at least finish all the quests in a cycle before buying anything from the next cycle. Also, as a heads-up, FFG doesn't keep all of the xpacs in print all of the time, some stuff you may have to wait a few months for a reprint.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 6, 2015

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a resource for fundamentals of LOTR deckbuilding?

Tales From the Cards is great. As is Hall of Beorn, especially the Beorn's Path series of articles.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got back in to LotR recently and decided to buy the next cycle that I don't have, Against the Shadow. I found Numenor and the last 3 Adventure Packs easily and for good prices but had to shell out a bit above MSRP for Amon Din and Druadan Forest and I can't find Steward's Fear for sale anywhere for a reasonable price. Guessing that cycle is in the process of going out of print. How long does it usually take before a reprint?

Anyone have an extra Steward's Fear they'd sell me (or trade me for the extra Redhorn Gate AP that I somehow ended up with)? Or, if you notice it in your FLGS and would let me PayPal you its cost + shipping, that would be awesome too.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Steward's Fear has been out of print for months. I've had 3 proxies of those drat Gondorian shields forever. It's supposed to be on a boat right now though so hopefully it will be in stores in a month or so.

Ok, that's not so bad then. I don't mind waiting a month or two, Black Riders and Road Darkens should keep me busy in the meantime. I was worried that it'd just recently gone OOP and it would be 6+ months before a reprint.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I don't sleeve my LotR cards but I also only ever play it at home and usually solitaire.

I do sleeve my Netrunner decks (just my active decks, not everything) because they actually leave the house and occasionally get used by other people.

Honestly, it's totally a personal preference thing. Some people sleeve EVERYTHING, some sleeve nothing. Unlike Magic though, you're never going to have a single card worth $50+ in an LCG so sleeves just don't seem as important. Worst case is that you use/shuffle your Core set Gandalfs so much that they start to show some wear, you can spend $30 then on another Core or spend the same or more now on sleeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Sleevechat

I've been using KMC Perfect Size sleeves. Are there any sleeves out there that don't slip all over themselves that also don't boost the size of the deck like crazy?

The UltraPro Mattes have a textured back that makes them less slippery or prone to slide off of a big stack. I bought like 6x50 of them a while back when MassDrop was doing a bundle, MD seems to offer those and/or the Dragon Shield sleeves (which a lot of people seem to love) every month or so.