Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

bobvonunheil posted:

Dungeon Run is not a good game.

I bought it, thinking what you said - it would be a light fun game with a bit of semi co-op and betrayal.

It just doesn't really work. The characters aren't balanced, the gameplay itself isn't that compelling and the whole thing felt really unfulfilling. It's not that it drags on, it's that there's just not much game there to be had.

I played it half a dozen times, and the best thing I could say about it was that it was basically inoffensive. I sold it a month or two later to free up shelf space, just because the game didn't fill any particular niche.

Thank you, this was exactly the comment I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I don't do that for my first action or anything like that. I just impatient wanting to kill things and go "yeah i got plenty of attack cards, i'm gonna kill somthing" and then forget that you're suppose to BLOCK before you do damage so i end up going "oh i can't block AND kill him in the same turn, screw it i'll just take the damage" without really thinking about it.

This is not (always) a bad way to play. You have healing cards for a reason. It's usually IME better to kill a guy now and heal later than it is to haver around NOT killing him until two turns from now when you can do it without damage (particularly if it gets you that all-important level where, for instance, you might get a healing action from the offer and heal the wounds anyway). Turns are your most precious resource in the game, don't waste them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, it's called "Coconuts", which is originally a game from South Korea.

I played that at UK Games Expo. It was fun.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

echoMateria posted:

Thank you, this was exactly the comment I was looking for.

If it's any help my experience with Dungeon Run is identical to that comment.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
First impressions of Robinson Crusoe:

1. There is a LOT of poo poo in this game. Replayability should be good.

2. The rulebook is awful, just awful. Reading some threads in BGG it seems like there isn't even a definitive answer for some rules questions and the advice is to just make up your own sometimes. Pretty surprising for what is otherwise a very nicely presented and reputable game.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

First impressions of Robinson Crusoe:

1. There is a LOT of poo poo in this game. Replayability should be good.

2. The rulebook is awful, just awful. Reading some threads in BGG it seems like there isn't even a definitive answer for some rules questions and the advice is to just make up your own sometimes. Pretty surprising for what is otherwise a very nicely presented and reputable game.

The summary sheet Richard Ham uses in his RC Runthrough is very helpful; here's a link to that and another summary from BGG:

Round Sequence Summary Sheet (one page):
BGG link - http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/8...ence-crib-sheet
Image link - http://imgur.com/6EP4t1I

Rules Summary (two pages):
BGG Link - http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/9...-reference-card
Image link - http://imgur.com/7sUdKLp

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is the Lord of the Rings LCG supposed to be really hard or did I just get really unlucky with my encounter draws for my first game coming up to some 9 HP king spider out of the gate?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Is the Lord of the Rings LCG supposed to be really hard or did I just get really unlucky with my encounter draws for my first game coming up to some 9 HP king spider out of the gate?

It can be hard, especially early on working with just the core set/learning what's really bad and must be avoided, but honestly that's just bad luck. I'm assuming you're talking about Ungoliant's Spawn in the first scenario, which is basically the boss.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Both, and it largely comes down to the difficulty of the quest you're playing and luck of the draw. Some are REALLY loving hard, especially if you have a small card pool to deckbuild from. One of the Core quests is nigh-impossible single player if you're only using Core cards.

A couple tips:
- don't be afraid to mulligan your opening hand if you don't have at least one or two of your key cards in it.
- if you have a small pool of cards to deckbuild from, you pretty much have to build a new deck tailored to each quest. "One deck to rule them all" is basically impossible with just Cores.
- if you're just starting out, read Beorn's Path series of articles, it's incredibly helpful.
- don't get discouraged! It's a difficult game, especially playing one-handed solo, but when you win it's really satisfying.
- check out the LCG thread for more advice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When playing Mage Knight I'm finding space to be at a premium on my table with all the tiles laid out. Playing solo would it be too egregious to just forgo the dummy player and roll 2d6 to determine how many turns I get in a round?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

When playing Mage Knight I'm finding space to be at a premium on my table with all the tiles laid out. Playing solo would it be too egregious to just forgo the dummy player and roll 2d6 to determine how many turns I get in a round?

Uhhh as long as you're also removing a card from the advanced actions row and the spells, and maybe don't make it 2d6 because sometimes you'll roll a 2? That's dumb. But randomizing between, oh, 4 and 8? I don't know the exact numbers but yeah I could see it being okay.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Uhhh as long as you're also removing a card from the advanced actions row and the spells, and maybe don't make it 2d6 because sometimes you'll roll a 2? That's dumb. But randomizing between, oh, 4 and 8? I don't know the exact numbers but yeah I could see it being okay.

Yeah that makes more sense I'll make it 1d6+3. Thanks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
There is an android app that automates the dummy player if you want to stick to its algorithm more closely.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

My wife really wants to play a horror game but I'm not sure what to get. People are pretty down on Arkham Horror, is Elder Sign better?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Are there any good sites that would sell me card sleeves (various sizes) in bulk discount? I'm one of those jerks who has to sleeve everything and was wondering if there was a good place to get them or if you guys just sorta tack them on to whatever order you're getting from whatever site. Caveat: I am in Canada.

panascope posted:

My wife really wants to play a horror game but I'm not sure what to get. People are pretty down on Arkham Horror, is Elder Sign better?

This is outside my area of expertise, but I think most people are down with Ghost Stories though it is supposed to be really hard.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Elder Sign is a dull version of Yahtzee. Get Eldritch Horror, which obsoletes Arkham Horror in a bunch of ways.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Eldritch Horror fixes Arkham Horror and isn't just Yahtzee with a coat of paint ala Elder Sign.

E:fb lol

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Thanks for the recommendations, I just grabbed Eldritch Horror.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
I know Munchkin is much maligned in this thread, but I saw this article on Clever Move and didn't really realise just how much SJG is riding on it's success. I had trouble keeping track of regular Munchkin's expansions back in the day but it's mind-boggling how many there are now.

Managed to to pre-order Sushi Go this weekend, hopefully that'll arrive next week.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Zveroboy posted:

I know Munchkin is much maligned in this thread, but I saw this article on Clever Move and didn't really realise just how much SJG is riding on it's success. I had trouble keeping track of regular Munchkin's expansions back in the day but it's mind-boggling how many there are now.

Managed to to pre-order Sushi Go this weekend, hopefully that'll arrive next week.

Adventure Time Munchkin is coming out, I'm really excited.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Kiranamos posted:

The combination of something goons love and something goons hate, I'm waiting for heads to pop.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I can't think of a more nightmarish game, good lord.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stelas posted:

Elder Sign is a dull version of Yahtzee. Get Eldritch Horror, which obsoletes Arkham Horror in a bunch of ways.

It's shorter and more simplified; but that doesn't automatically mean its better for everyone. If you're after an epic 4 hour game and don't mind a bit of extra record keeping in exchange for extra complexity them Arkham Horror is preferable.

andrew smash posted:

There is an android app that automates the dummy player if you want to stick to its algorithm more closely.

I decided to go with this variant, it's just as easy as rolling d6 but I don't know how many rounds there will be ahead of time:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/816870/mana-track-solo-variant-eliminates-dummy-player

quote:

1. Take one mana token of each colour (red, white, green and blue) and one black mana token. Place these 5 tokens in a cup. This now becomes the "Mana Track pool".
2. Since this is a solo game, you should have four unused mana dice (eg, those not being used for the Source). Take these dice and place them next to the mana threat pool you created in step 1.
3. During the game, at the end of each turn the player will now enter a "Mana Track Phase" (instead of the Dummy Player phase). In this new phase, the player will roll all four mana dice (not in the Source). Whenever the player rolls two (or more) of any colour, that colour mana token is eliminated from the Mana Track pool (eg, set aside). Gold is still considered to be a wildcard (just like the Source).
4. If the Mana Track pool still has any mana tokens in it at the end of the Mana Track Phase, the player takes their next turn as normal. However if the player removed the last mana token from the mana pool during the Mana Track Phase, the end of the round is announced (eg, the round ends at the end of the next turn).
5. At the start of each new round, replenish the Mana Track pool by placing all 5 mana tokens back in the cup. Repeat steps 3 and 4 each turn throughout all subsequent rounds.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

It's already out; we've got it in stock. The whole thing just gives me terrible cognitive dissonance. I mean, Adventure Time is all about working together with your friends and having fun, and Munchkin is the exact opposite. The only thing that would make sense to me is that the two philosophies exactly cancel out, and the box is empty. (the box is not empty.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rutibex posted:

I decided to go with this variant, it's just as easy as rolling d6 but I don't know how many rounds there will be ahead of time:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/816870/mana-track-solo-variant-eliminates-dummy-player
What happens if you have, like, Black, Black, Gold, Blue? Do you have to lose both Black and Blue? Or just Black?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

What happens if you have, like, Black, Black, Gold, Blue? Do you have to lose both Black and Blue? Or just Black?

When it came up like this I did both; seems only fair and keeps it a bit tighter. But its a variant you could do it ether way :shrug:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Kiranamos posted:

I played it at PAX this year. It's oozing with Adventure Time theme, but it's still loving Munchkins. :smith:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ETB posted:

I played it at PAX this year. It's oozing with Adventure Time theme, but it's still loving Munchkins. :smith:

That's basically every Munchkin set. Funny for 1-2 plays; then you read all the jokes and it becomes tedious.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The Adventure Time card game isn't terrible, it's just classic Cryptozoic. Great theme, fun art, maybe one interesting mechanic, and then the rest might as well be a Steven Jackson game. I've only played with the base decks, but it was a disappointment. I couldn't recommend it to anyone, unless you were maybe looking to play with your kids.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ashez2ashes posted:

Just registered to go to Charcon in Charleston, WV. I hope its newb friendly since I haven't gotten to play as many games as I'd like.

I went there the last few times, but i'm in florida and i probably won't be able to make it. You should be okay finding games, though it's definitely a smaller con.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Somberbrero posted:

The Adventure Time card game isn't terrible, it's just classic Cryptozoic. Great theme, fun art, maybe one interesting mechanic, and then the rest might as well be a Steven Jackson game. I've only played with the base decks, but it was a disappointment. I couldn't recommend it to anyone, unless you were maybe looking to play with your kids.

Adventure Time's producers seem to be the most tone-deaf, cynical jerks when it comes to licensing the cartoon for games. Both their licensed board games and video games are all mediocre as hell.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The End posted:

Adventure Time's producers seem to be the most tone-deaf, cynical jerks when it comes to licensing the cartoon for games. Both their licensed board games and video games are all mediocre as hell.

Licensed games being crap isn't exactly out of the ordinary. It's not as true as it once, but Battlestar Galactica is still very much the exception, not the rule.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Licensed games being crap isn't exactly out of the ordinary. It's not as true as it once, but Battlestar Galactica is still very much the exception, not the rule.

We do seem to see a better class of geek-oriented licensed game than we used to, if Flip the Table is anything to go by. Sure, they may not be great games in their own right, but there's at least some design going into them. It seems like your average 80s or 90s licensed game was a roll (or spin) and move with some art from the license and maybe some lightly themed cards that are the functional equivalent of Monopoly's Chance/Community Chest cards and that's about it. The exceptions get a little more creative but mostly still sound pretty drat threadbare.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

EvilChameleon posted:

Are there any good sites that would sell me card sleeves (various sizes) in bulk discount? I'm one of those jerks who has to sleeve everything and was wondering if there was a good place to get them or if you guys just sorta tack them on to whatever order you're getting from whatever site. Caveat: I am in Canada.

This is outside my area of expertise, but I think most people are down with Ghost Stories though it is supposed to be really hard.

No idea about Canadian store sleeve prices but you can check these two US stores that I'm most familiar with and compare (might turn up preferable even with shipping, they are to the prices here).

Coolstuff inc sells everything at 25-30%-ish discounts, so even if you buy a single FFG standard size sleeve with MSRP:$2.99, it is at $2.49 there. Rockinbgames does have bulk options for the same sleeves at $2.59 a pack, $2.49 for 5–9 items & $2.29 for 20 and up.

Hope this helps.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Just played Space Alert for the first time tonight! Took us like four hours and we almost beat the simulation. Pretty stoked on eventually playing a real mission.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Warhammer Diskwars is A LOT of fun and has surprisingly more depth than it first appears. If you like some of the randomness that miniature games typically have just throw in some ranged(Nothing like 1 shotting a Bloodthirster when your stone thrower gets double hits and a 6 for damage)
I have not picked up any of the expansions yet and still quite thoroughly enjoy it. Deep man

I thought you could only take one wound a phase in disk wars? I keep getting so many rules about this drat game wrong.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Here are the better rules.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I thought you could only take one wound a phase in disk wars? I keep getting so many rules about this drat game wrong.

You take 1 wound, regardless of how much you've exceeded the toughness after each instance of inflicting damage, that is:
- After a particular magic or ranged attack (doesn't matter how many dice were thrown)
- After each impact/guard/similar ability triggering
- In each engagement there are three "wound checks": after all swift units strike, after "normal speed" units strike and after all slow units strike.

With speedy units in particular, you can set up some crafty multi-wounding schemes.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Just played Space Alert for the first time tonight! Took us like four hours and we almost beat the simulation. Pretty stoked on eventually playing a real mission.
Wait, it took you four hours to play one mission? Or you tried it a bunch of times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I believe he means the entire tutorial, which basically has you play several missions where each one introduces a new part of the game.

• Locked thread