Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Carteret posted:

It sounds like your FLGS are a bunch of Jerks, then.

For what it's worth, Alliance Distribution is currently out of some of the early Netrunner expansions, or was when I looked last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Question about the LotR LCG: If I have enough quest points to finish a quest, and I have some leftover, do they spillover onto the next quest? Couldn't find anything in the rules.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sirtommygunn posted:

Nope, any excess quest progress is completely wasted.

Booooooo.

Also how good are the Spirit guys in the core set that add a progress tracker to locations in the staging area when tapped? Answer: So good. So. Good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Paper Kaiju posted:

I think my take away from all of this is that I'm not going to bother expanding into GoT. Invasion, LotR, and Netrunner were all very enjoyable playing just with what was in the core box, which encouraged me to pick up more of them. I'm not very keen in throwing good money after bad with GoT on the chance I might end up enjoying it, and I'm not exactly hurting for other games to play right now.

The biggest thing holding me back from GoT is the sheer cost of buy-in. It'd be different if, after X amount of time, FFG went "Hey guys, we're selling the first cycle as a box for fifty bucks!" because I'd be all OVER that poo poo. But with so many cycles of cards on top of the six house expansions? Nah.

LotR LCG is seriously great though, I'm filling out order forms tonight so the boss can order me the rest of the Mirkwood cycle.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Unless they make it cheaper to buy in, though, set rotation really only affects tournament play. I just want to buy it all because I have this monkey on my back and he wants some goddamn nanners, right now. It really needs to be a two-pronged thing: Set rotation to limit the card pool for tournaments, and Chapter Boxes (or some similar idea) to lower to cost of entry for a new player. It's hard to tell people "yeah the first expansion really amounts to a hundred bucks" when I'm selling them on the game.

edit On one hand, I want to brag about basically crushing my third ever game of LotR, doing Passage Through Mirkwood with the mono-leadersihp deck in the core set. On the other, I Sneak Attacked Gandalf turn one and have hit basically no enemies this entire game so

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 20, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dre2Dee2 posted:

An article on Game Trade Magazine reveals Necrons and Tyranids will come out in a future expansion for WHC.

Necrons will be able to steal units from any faction in the alignment wheel (whatever that means), and Tyranids remain outside the alignment wheel and can't include any other factions in their deck.

Not really all that crazy about the alignment wheel mechanic myself from what we've seen so far, but good to see they didn't leave anyone out.

Necrons can be Necrons plus any other faction, Tyranids are JUST Tyranids. I want to know how they plan on introducing those cards, though, unless there's neutral cards, and unless they really plan on loading up big expacs with nids.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

omnibobb posted:

I could see a creation and control like big box release with just those 2 factions.

Release them with two warlord pods each and that'll match up with everyone else at the end of the Warlords cycle.

Doesn't quite work, though, there's seven factions plus the two future ones.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kannonfodder posted:

Tyranids might get hosed over? What a shocking and unique development!

Or Tyranids will be stronger to balance it out because this game is made by people who are good at making games.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

I wonder why some games (WHC, SW) use the blister packs, but others use the normal packaging.

Star Wars doesn't use blisters? All the packs I've seen up through the one that just came out were regular packaging.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Carteret posted:

I hear you. I just feel it's a little premature to say the 3rd is required until people actually get hands on the product. 50 card decks only have so many slots :shobon:

Especially when eight cards are eaten up right off the bat.

There's a lot of 1-ofs in the box but at the same time it's a box with seven factions, each with specific cards that you can only use in the quantity provided. It's lovely but there's a reason for ti.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

And Shadowfist is a Dynamic Card Game. Most people just refer to them all as LCGs, though. It's not like FFG didn't borrow the term from Living Rulebooks anyway.

The VS System one says Living Card Game on the back, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LordNat posted:

If I remember right there was some big counterfeit YGO card scandal involving them. I am guessing they just plan to sell off a bunch of stock at Gencon and drop it soon after for a cash and grab.

From what I understand this is actually how they lost the WoW license.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dominus Caedis posted:

Seconding this except that I am MAD AS HELL that 'Nids are not in the base game. Where are my unstoppable bug monsters FFG?

Probably getting their own big box expansion, since they can't use cards from any other factions.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SuperKlaus posted:

Mmmmhmmm. I'm not into the nids or crons but I do wish FFG would clarify their plans for those factions some more. For all that I've been posting and theorydeckbuilding I too might not actually buy this game until a few months post-release have given it time to be studied. Have some real gripes from listening to Netrunner hype that I don't wanna repeat.

They've said they're getting their own expansion(s) later on. I don't know why that's not enough when they don't announce future stuff more than a few months out, and the first cycle of packs hasn't even shipped yet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Someone define what "listmaking game" means because I feel like this is just a really snarky condescending way to talk about games where the deck is preconstructed and boy howdy that's a great way to lead off your argument, condescension.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Basically any time someone goes "Well it's all the same and it's just about who brings the Best List" it means they don't know what they're actually talking about. This goes for any game, not just ANR or MtG.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ledhed posted:

I don't think they'll ever go to blister packs for the regular releases. The images in the previews are always mock-ups with blister packs, but unless they change manufacturers suddenly it's always gonna be cardboard boxes for the 60-card packs.

In the announcement for the 40k packs they said it's going to be blisters from now on.

quote:

n addition to powerful new warlords, the Warlord cycle introduces our new LCG® packaging to Warhammer 40,000: Conquest War Packs! This packaging is molded plastic, but every War Pack still contains the full complement of sixty cards.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

brother-joseph posted:

Not sure if this really means anything, but FFG was showing off the upcoming Space Wolf and Great Unclean One packs at GenCon in a display case and they were all in blisters.

It's funny you say that because they've already said that's the packaging they're using going forward.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

Well someone hosed that arcane ritual.

i'm actually mad hype for l5r lcg, bruh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

Magic came up with some fun variants where one player would fight three players but would have special powers, things like that. I'd be interested in seeing variants like that for LCGs, although they're usually gimmicky so I understand focusing on the competitive game.

the only casual format that Magic has consistently had success with is the one they didn't create, is the funny part. Commander does really well, every year. meanwhile archenemy/emperor/whatever doesn't actually exist anymore

fake edit the best casual format variant i ever heard of though is Commander palyed with the Planechase planar cards using the map variant, and i mean that unironically

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

Commander is a terrible format in all honesty, which probably explains why it's so loved by MtG players.

It's actually the perfect casual format because t can be whatever a given playgroup wants it to be

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Azran posted:

Yeah if anything I see Conquest dying which is a shame since I don't care about the other LCGs except for LOTR. :v: I should give Netrunner a try sometime.

By the way, the new Warhammer Quest ACG is also a new coop, solo-capable card game that's plenty of fun. I would love to see it get as much content as, say, Descent, if only because there aren't enough games like it out there.

it sounds a lot like the Pathfinder card game

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In a surprising twist there's only one actual tournament encompassing all the games

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PaybackJack posted:

Probably not going to hear anything till the official announcement at Gencon this year.

Apparently there was a Maester thing in first edition that was pretty good which is leading to people wanting that deck back.

It's next year they're debuting it. Honestly if AEG hadn't been concerned about letting fans know it wasn't dead, just changing, we probably wouldn't even have that announcement

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I also can't see them keeping two co-op games in print at once

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Foehammer posted:

Mordor, Nurn, or Rhun? Hell, make a deluxe expansion set in the Shire and all the quests are related to stealing vegetables or pub crawling

The enemies are all like irritated farmers and poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mongol posted:

This is the biggest inside joke in the LOTR community. Can it be a rule to not discuss speculation of LOTR dying?

This is the dumbest loving thing I've read. I know Caleb and Matt personally and they bleed LOTR. Power creep isn't a thing. If anything, there has been a throttling of power. They have been focused on new mechanics, rather than just upping strength.

Let's move on.

i could honestly see them not wanting to support two co-op LCGs at once or not thinking there's a big enough market for both of them, sorry to burst your bubble. i hope it doesn't go anywhere though! i like it a lot and would play both

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is this the thread to talk about the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game because that's pretty close to being a co-op LCG and its loving DOPE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How do Necrons and Tyranids work for the purposes of deck building?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Carteret posted:

Tyranids are outside the alignment wheel. No allies.

Necrons are in the center of the alignment wheel, and you can put common units from any factions in your deck, but you choose at the start of your turn which faction you are allowed to play in addition to Necron units by selecting that faction on your "enslavement dial."

baller

kinda surprised that they gave nids enough support in one big box to run them as a faction, tho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aw man I just found out that the next Pathfinder Adventure Path is about Cthulhus and I want that to be a card game like

Now

Arkham Horror doesn't count

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

frgildan posted:

Well FFG may be coming out with an answer for you.

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/30734678/news.jpg

Arkham Hirror doesn't count I just said that sheesh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rusty Kettle posted:

That necklace is going to out the assholes in the community. God forbid someone cannot remember the name of a card but can describe what it does, or mispronounces it. I think if it sees widespread use, we'll have some negative experiences.

In Magic effects that require you to name a card allow you to describe it in such a way that there's only one card it could be, this is the same thing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

So thanks to the CSI sale I've almost completed my collection (not counting anything Nightmare) and I'm wondering how I should be approaching the game. Just build the decks that look fun and play the quests in order? Play progression style and use the cards that were available for each cycle? Also, any recommendations for decks that are pretty generalist and can handle most quests solo? I will be playing a lot of 2 player with my wife (we already played through the core before I bought a bunch more and she loves it) but I also want to tackle stuff on my own without playing 2 handed.

Once I pick up the last couple things I need for the Wrath of the Righteous ACG I need to focus down and work on completing my collection. I've got the first two cycles plus the first two big boxes

You know what's great about working at a comic shop? I basically get poo poo at cost. It's great. Saves me a bunch of money on LotR stuff

Edit has anyone used the broken token organizers to sort this poo poo out? I'm trying to decide between that and just throwing it all in a monster box with LOTR scrawled on it in sharpie

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 26, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks. I kinda want this to exist just so I can keep up to date with a game instead of buying old expansions by the cartload.

Same. My shopping list for LOTR is insane

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

Just buy it all in a month like me :v:

Except nightmare decks, does anyone really play those?

The good news is I work at a comic/gaming shop so I get store credit which I use to fuel my habits.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

My bet for LotR going forward is that it has another year. The saga stuff is almost to the end, it'll give them time to gauge the success of the hypothetical Arkham Horror game, and it'll wrap up just in time to make room for L5R

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

canyoneer posted:

I really liked the video game Shadow of Mordor, despite venturing into :siren: non canon territory :siren:
This also seems cool.

Half ghost batman was a great batman

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The part where Orcs would recognize you and haul rear end was fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rock. hard.

gonna get back to ordering LotR i think

edit for content this feels like a good mix between LotR and the pathfinder card game, with a more RPG slant on building your deck over the course of a campaign, as opposed to pathfinder acg's pseudo deck building thing. i'm interested to see more as we get closer to release

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 3, 2016