Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Radioactive Toy posted:

Pretty excited for this and it also is making me want to get back in to LotR. I'm just sad they didn't pull a Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition and say "by the way this it out for GenCon surprise!"

Have they released any LCGs at GenCon ahead of their normal release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

I believe Conquest and AGOT were both Gencon releases. L5R was mentioned as one too when its announcement article came out.

Ah, cool.

I'm putting in my preorder at work Friday, super hype for this game

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fetterkey posted:

Conquest, Thrones, and Netrunner were all GenCon releases, and several of the big expansion boxes for those games have been first out at GenCon as well. I believe L5R was officially announced to be a GenCon release for 2017 as well.

conquest was also announced and we had info for it pre-gencon, whereas this we JUST got the announcment

id be very surprised if it was on sale this weekend

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

To be fair, the timelines sorta match in that the AH announcement said it'd be ready by Q4 2016, and they also announced (and likely have available) a bunch of different, probably lovely games, including that Game of Thrones game that for some reason disregards the nice style of most of the AGOT2.0 cards and just does...its own thing.

For AH to come out this weekend? Not even close

For an actual winter release yes absolutely

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fat Samurai posted:

Team Covenant's demo of Arkham. Haven't watched it, can't vouch for quality.

I'd watch this but I would spend the entire time thinking about their meltdown over privateer press sending them a C&D

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Oh wow, haven't heard of this, care to explain or link to something that does? How severe was the meltdown?

I'm on my phone but iirc they were releasing monsterpocalypse stuff without a license and privateer told distros to stop sending them PP stuff and they posted a couple YouTube videos crying about mean old privateer protecting their IP

It was p lol, you can google it for the actual deets or I'll do it when I get home this afternoon

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fat Samurai posted:

10 seconds of Google led me to this statement:

I have no idea what this is about, but "It belongs to us in every sense except the very real one" is hilarious to me.

They should be able to print branded tokens duh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Just watched the Arkham demo in full. Looks like it has potential. I like the location system more than the one in LOTR, It's cool that they can connect to each other in various ways, and players can split up and be in different locations. Not sure how I feel about the skill check system, I'm wary of extra elements of randomness in card games, as there is already a big primary element of randomness (the decks of cards themselves). You can spend cards from your hand to boost your skills for a check if you need insurance for a critical moment, but on the other hand one of the tokens from the skill check draw bag always counts as an automatic fail, I cant say a like that a lot, although I guess something like that is needed to keep the feeling of dread, tension and insecurity, which is probably what you want to have in a Lovecraft themed game. I'd like to see and example of a more mechanically creative scenario, the one they showed was probably the introductory tutorial scenario and didn't have a a lot going on. Hopefully, judging how good the scenarios in LOTR are past the first cycle, they keep being interesting here.

this sounds a lot like the pathfinder card game, which has you roll skill checks that are modified by cards and has multiple locations that players can explore independently of one another

the pathfinder card game is very good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not like the Pathfinder card game and the Pathfinder card game sucks :psyduck:

What fuckin world are you living in

Like forget about you being a mutant that doesn't like the Pathfinder card game for some insane reason it's a game where players can split up to explore multiple locations and encounter the top card at that location and then have some form of randomness in conflict resolution and also it's got campaign mode baked in and you replace your starting deck with new cards as you progress

Like all the RPG elements are ideas that appeared in the Pathfinder game first, just implemented differently

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 7, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fat Samurai posted:

So far the bag doesn't seem very interesting. The way I understand it it's basically a big die with special faces and, I assume, weighted chances for the rolls. It gives them more design space to do interesting things and make scenarios unique, though.

There's also the possibility of different big box expansions having different token sets and altering the odds

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

djfooboo posted:

Pathfinder ACG does suck.

In other news I played the monster 12 person LOtR LCG: Siege of Annúminas at GenCon and got our asses handed to us twice. Both times were do to the other groups, not us though :smug:

It has some grade A bullshit cards included in the quest.

Man that's a cool and well thought opinion you have convinced me that this good game is actually bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh man I can't wait for event night. I passed on a ticket for it this weekend since it didn't include the playmat.

I'll spell it out for you:

I get where you're seeing similarities with the RPG-lite idea and locations, but that's literally as far as they go. The game is vastly different in every meaningful measure. And if you enjoy Pathfinder that's great, but it is generally not well regarded. I have quite a few "bad" games in my collection, but either myself or my playgroup likes them and that's what matters.

I am convinced by your impressive amounts of evidence

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I dunno man you're the one going it sucks like that explains literally anything about your opinion or is a statement of fact with no room for opinion not me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PJOmega posted:

Please stop quoting Literally The Worst. If you haven't blocked him yet don't make the rest of us suffer along with you.

This is quite possibly the saltiest post I've ever seen in this forum

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MeinPanzer posted:

I've been jonesing to get into a new card game or light RPG for a while but I dont know many traditional gamers and I live too far from gaming stores to be able to make investing in any worth it. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the LOTR LCG is both singe player and fun.

I've played CCGs before but never played an LCG, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the genre. It sounds like it's best to begin with the core set and then work through the expansions according to their release date, but it seems many are out of print. What's the best way to get a hold of these expansions? Also, any other tips for someone looking to get started in solo play?

The expansions go in and out of print, if you keep checking you will eventually get them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

frgildan posted:

So they've just annouced the first Arkham box expansion.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/the-dunwich-legacy/

And it's the first expansion over all. Maybe they're moving away from the monthly packs for this one?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

COOL CORN posted:

But isn't the base game not even out yet? :psyduck:

they usually announce expansions before the previous thing is out, and if it's going to be a big box every couple months vs small packs every month and then a big box every six they want to start the cycle going in terms of advertising

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Swagger Dagger posted:

The article mentions that the cycle of mythos packs after this builds on the deluxe, so it sounds like they're using the LotR model, with a deluxe and related monthly packs.

that's still interesting because it's the first one with the first deluxe before a cycle comes out

AHC01 is the core, AHC02 is this expansion

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well now we don't have to wonder what L5R is taking the place of next year!

So hype for L5R

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I picked up two core sets of Arkham Horror LCG and my play group absolutely loved it. The problem is that we're almost done with the first campaign and we're looking at getting the Dunwich Legacy box but I can't find it in stock anywhere. There are a few on Amazon but they're price gouging it pretty hard (around $50 after shipping).

Is it because it's older and out of print or is there just a limited supply that gets scooped up when they reprint? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the higher cost or will there be another wave? Also is it like the core set in that I need multiple copies to get all the relevant cards?

It's just sold out at the distro level, it'll get another print run

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Empress Brosephine posted:

Wish people played call of cthulu :(

I mean

It's dead Jim

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PJOmega posted:

Lemme tell you how happy LGS are about this new development.

The ones they cut out are booty anyway

Oh no not Southern Hobby

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I AM CARVALLO posted:

I still don't understand the backlash with the LCG model and needing more than one core.

One core is a good board game experience, two gets you into more competitive and three is needed if you want to be super competitive. If you just play with a couple friends and don't want to buy more cores, just proxy. Competitive play will always have a cost-barrier in any card game.

And to put that cost barrier into perspective, three cores is ~$120 MSRP. This is only $30 more than a booster box of Magic, in which 95-98% of the cards will be useless and basically worth no money and if you play standard won't even be legal for more than two years. Core sets are useful throughout the entire lifetime of an LCG. If you buy singles for Magic, the cheapest of the top 4 decks is ~$200 and will either be completely eliminated when a new set comes out due to meta-game changes or drop out of rotation.

I know they're completely different distribution models, but the LCG format really is the best way to me to get a card game out there and control the costs for the players.

Msrp on a booster box of magic is 144 baka gaijin, most stores, especially online, sell them at a heavy discount if not slightly above cost

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Karnegal posted:

Magic is the high water mark. I sold my collection because I had moved for my wife's post-doc and didn't immediately find a new job. I made more off the cardboard than my salary from the previous year. I knew people in the vintage community that had collections insured for like $60-70k. I cannot imagine buying back into Magic unless I won a lottery jackpot. It's totally hosed my ability to assess what a reasonable amount of money for a card game is. Dropping $120 for a playset of everything seems super reasonable if you ever sold single cards for $300+.

On the other hand you don't have to play in those formats that require hella expensive cards

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

I said the same to a friend and he went on a long rant about how WotC has made standard format poo poo and modern is the only good one to play now because they want to push the card sales of their premium sets (where boosters are like $12 a pack). loving nuts that so many people are so hog wild about that type of model still. That game has its hooks deep man.

I mean the guy is dumb, they do those sets once a year, it's hardly a major chunk of their income for the year compared to standard

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jarvisi posted:

Aren't there like a million thors? I remember that weird animal person Thor distinctively, he seemed cool.

Edit: his name was Bill? Or something

Beta Ray Bill is a cyborg alien horse who bests Thor in a contest to see who's worthy of Mjolnir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Black Stones posted:

So FFG distribution in Canada continues to suck rear end. My game store only got green goblin and no heroes. They’ll get Miss Marvel next week and Cap is 2-3 weeks after. They put in the order but the distributor was just “well, whoops” which isn’t the first time this has happened.

Is it Alliance

BecAuse yeah Alliance sucks