Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is High Command laughably bad like I've heard? Or is it passable? I like the idea of picking up High Command right now based on lore, but I'd like a good game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

To be fair my only criteria for LCG when I posted that was the business model, being able to purchase an expansion outright instead of opening booster packs. I get where you're coming from though and I can accept LCG meaning it requires a CCG style of research, deck building, and gameplay.

I had hoped that High Command would be a Dominion except with more of a military focus and some location tactics involved, making it more complex. Sounds like it actually took Dominion and dumbed it down a bit.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tried the Star Wars LCG last night with my wife, using the starter decks. I was DS and basically what it ended up being was I won the force struggle and proceeded to do nothing the rest of the game. Is that how this game is really supposed to work? Seems like a really boring game if that's the case.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

alg posted:

Not really at all. The Light Side is supposed to attack objectives to destroy them to win. The Dark Side fends them off and kills off characters / blows up key objectives to advance the dial faster. It's possible to play a defensive game, but current LS decks will make short work of a purely defensive build. It's also much easier for the LS to take the force now.

Oh is there a new rulebook then or do I just need current cards

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I have decided LCGs aren't for me, and thought I'd post this here first. I have 2 copies of Star Wars LCG base set here and one copy of the Hoth expansion (I think) along with an insert that allows you to organize the insides of the box better using acrylic dividers, and a bunch of acrylic counters made specifically for the Star Wars LCG. Example of a Force counter on top.

If anyone is interested in getting this, for say like 50 bucks shipped including the counters and insert and everything, please PM me.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 16, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

djfooboo posted:

I wish someone was doing this to their LoTR cards :)

I also have a set of those I could be rid of but it's only one box and no special goodies.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Does FFG make a lcg that doesn't require a bunch of chits and bullshit and is playable with just cards?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Carteret posted:

In GoT, you need to keep track of 2 numbers: How much power you have, and how much gold you have. This is solved with 15 tokens for power (the amount you need to win) and like 8-10 gold. You will most likely never need more than that. All counters used in the game are either straight up power, or gold.

God I can't wait for it to get rebooted.

I can deal with that I suppose. I am just tired of opening up the box and assembling a double-track dial and a bunch of other stuff. Thanks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sleevechat

I've been using KMC Perfect Size sleeves. Are there any sleeves out there that don't slip all over themselves that also don't boost the size of the deck like crazy?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lawen posted:

The UltraPro Mattes have a textured back that makes them less slippery or prone to slide off of a big stack. I bought like 6x50 of them a while back when MassDrop was doing a bundle, MD seems to offer those and/or the Dragon Shield sleeves (which a lot of people seem to love) every month or so.

I have a bunch of Dragon Shields actually. Too slippery and the corners are sharp. I'm caught between Ultra Pro Mat and KMC Hyper Mat. Maybe I'll get some of each I guess.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Is there a general consensus on which Conquest expacs are best for which factions?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Well I just finished sleeving a shitload of cards only to find that it made a 50-60 card deck entirely too thick and unworkable. So gently caress it I'm unsleeving everything.

Binders or cardboard boxes for LCGs?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

tijag posted:

What in the world? The deck 60 card deck fully sleeved is no problem at all. What sleeves did you buy?

I put my cards in a box because binders are just too much effort.

KMC Perfect + KMC Hyper Mat

I know it's overkill and it doubles the thickness of the cards too. Honestly though I think I'm gonna not sleeve just because I probably won't wear them out before I stop playing a LCG.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yea I can give that a try

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

Double sleeving anything sounds like masochism.

It's also quite expensive

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nyxnyxnyx posted:

http://dsgcw.blogspot.ca/2015/11/how-it-is.html

http://dsgcw.blogspot.ca/2015/12/pray-i-dont-alter-deal-any-further.html?spref=fb&m=1

Interesting articles, even if I don't necessarily agree with everything. People who profess to believe in objectivism always raises flags for me.

I don't understand someone who says they want to look at the way things are, not the way they wish they were, telling everyone that it began from their idealistic sense of reality. If you are really objectivist, just give us the facts and let us make our own decisions?

In any case maybe it'll work for them, maybe it won't, but it's not a positive mark on their reputation. I think they might move more with games that already have established bases, who knows, but if I can't buy online I won't be getting into new games. We'll see how it plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rarity posted:

Just had a go at Hunt For Gollum with the family. We pulled Massing at Night on our second turn. I thought this game was meant to be easier with more players :suicide:

Yeah I pulled some spider boss on turn 2 when I played my first game with the core set with my wife. Supposedly that's just bad luck but it kinda soured my experience