Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Carteret posted:

The more I read about WH:40K:C the more interested I am. Consider me optimistically excited? I'm in for the core set, at a minimum.

Same here. It seems quite a bit different than the Warhammer Fantasy game with plenty of factions to vary things up. The Orks look like exactly the kind of game I like to play, too.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TheLawinator posted:

A part of me didn't want it to be any different from the Fantasy one, but that's because I'm stupid.

You're not stupid! It was a good game. Just not particularly ... original, mechanically.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Carteret posted:

If you didn't catch it, they announced the first War Pack.

What's the release date for the core set again? Some time in August?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah. Even with Netrunner you certainly didn't need 3 core sets. You wanted a playset of the 2-ofs more than the 1-ofs, especially when the game first launched.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I am so loving psyched for it, but not at all psyched about following two LCGs at the same time because I am a baby.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Star Wars just didn't grab me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

God I wish I was at Gen Con so I could get a copy of Conquest :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Karnegal posted:

Played Conquest today. The FFG demo dude was a prick, bit the game has some promise. I don't think it will dethrone Netrunner any time soon, but I think it is worth a look. I'm still salty about needing 3 cores. 2 would be perfectly reasonable, but 3 is such a kick in the dick. I wish I had a chance to see more of the factions to get an idea of their play styles.

Why do you need 3, exactly? Like, you need 3 for full playsets of everything or you think you'll need 3 core sets if you want to be able to play at all competitively?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Karnegal posted:

It's unclear, but I want to have the option to build any competitive deck, and as others have pointed out in Netrunner the SanSans are important as 3 ofs in some decks. When the game was younger the consoles were also pretty important. I imagine Conquest will be the same. If the one ofs are all garbage, then few people will buy more than two, and they clearly want competitive players to buy 3.

I know, I play Netrunner competitively and I stay away from San San builds because I never bought a 3rd core set. It's not as though you can't play the game competitively without that one card, there are plenty of competitive Corps decks out there - I'm asking more about how wide spread the 'I need three of this one of card' problem would be among the factions. If it something that ever faction has a problem with, that's definitely an issue.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks bro!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

omnibobb posted:

Yeah that makes me super stoked. I just don't know if I'll have the money or 3 sets between this and Doomtown.

And I'm sure no one in the store will play it :(

Do you have any 40k players? Because they're the most obvious ones to get into the game.

Also I'm probably just going to buy 2 core sets and trade with my buddies for the cards we actually want for the factions we plan on actually playing, since it looks like there will be a decent amount of us who want to get into the game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FFG is definitely not WotC, they won't be doing all of their printing in-house.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm going to pick up 2 and then see if I can trade for other poo poo that I might need.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yay! :dance:

I almost feel bad that I'm more excited about this than Netrunner, but honestly I think this will have a much bigger and more active player base than Netrunner in my local area.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 23, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I didn't even look, are there many neutral cards in Conquest? Everything seems very faction specific.

Zogwart! Yessssssss

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Sort of. There tends to be cards you'll practically always use if you're playing a particular sphere/faction/race/whatever, but not so many that tend to show up in every deck. For instance, if you're playing with Tactics cards in LOTR, you'll practically always use Feint, or every deck in AGOT will have three of its House's +Gold cards (e.g. The Goldroad). I imagine the neutral cards for Conquest will find their way into many decks, if only for the cheap units with command icons or the extra shields, but I doubt they'll be as common as those in Netrunner. Here's the neutral Conquest cards in the core set, for comparison.

Wow, some of those seem pretty drat useful. Not bad.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So I'm not really excited about Zogwart as the first Ork warlord release. His second ability just makes the event to put snotlings into play much, much harder to use.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Is this realistic, though? Do battles typically last more than 2 full rounds? I imagine at that point, it should be pretty obvious who is going to win, and then it's just a matter of deciding whether or not you want to bleed their units. Not to mention if a fight lasts that long, I get the feeling a Warlord would not want to be vulnerable to attacks for that long. I'm obviously not a master at this game, but it just seems to me that it's hard to do a long sustained fight with a Warlord present without putting that Warlord at risk. Although amusingly, if Zogwort gets bloodied, his Snotlings live on to fight another day, maybe.

Kith, on the other hand, is a 2/6 that puts a 2/1 into play on commitment. For no work besides committing a Warlord, you get 4 attack worth. Combined with her signature Khymeramasters and Beastmaster Wyches, you are making GBS threads out a lot of Khymera.

This is all completely moot if your opponent has area effect, obviously. One Tactical Squad Cardinis is a surprisingly effective counter for a lot of Dark Eldar...

And this is why we use nullify and pre-battle action windows :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

If you played this game more than twice, you have played it more than me. However, he'll put at a minimum two Snotlings down, which (barring area effect) seems like a free 2/2 unit. Then with his magic stick one is sticking around, and his supports bring out more. It seems reasonable that you could get 5-6 out at once mid to late game relatively easily.

Edit: also orcs seems like they will have lots of cards that make them beefier, so it seems like the support units will make this deck significantly less of a glass cannon.

It's a minimum of one actually. There will be situations where you will commit your Warlord and then want to immediately retreat him.

GrandpaPants posted:

Actually, speaking of Events, how the hell do you use Power from Pain effectively? I don't think the sacrificed unit even has to take place in the planet the fighting is taking on, so it doesn't necessarily have an effect on the battle taking place. The only thing I can think of is maybe just eating through their chump units so that I can at least maximize my 2 resources spent on it. I do love that events can be used as shields though, so that situational ones like this and the sweepers can at least have a purpose besides being a dead draw.

Seems like it can quickly cause some early game swings - your opponent has to either sacrifice a dude at a planet he wants to fight at, or sac a dude at a planet he'd like to keep command presence at. That could be worth much more than 2 resources in the long run. Also remember that tokens are not army units, and so cannot be sacrificed for the effect. I think it's a good tempo card.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 9, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Has anyone noticed some uncovered rules interactions yet? I'm wondering if various triggered effects will 'see' each other like they do in magic - if the unique chaos guy is at a planet that gets warpstormed and dies alongside enemy units, do you still put cultists into play? Or does the wording of his reaction imply that he needs to still be on the planet for the ability to trigger? I couldn't find anything about the timing of abilities that that would cover that situation.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The question is whether or not the trigger occurs at the same time as his death or aftewards if he dies at the same time as the opposing units. I'm assuming afterwards also, but I couldn't really find a clear answer in the rulebook. The rulebook doesn't say anything about issues with multiple units dying simultaneously, and I imagine they'll have to at some point even if it's just a clarification.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

In this case it looks as if whoever has initiative gets to decide:

And because reactions occur immediately after their triggering conditions (unlike interrupts), you'd want to hold off on the Warpstorm if you didn't have initiative. (Assuming, of course, that you were trying to get more cultists instead of simply nuking everything for its own sake.)

The thing is, his reaction specifies after an enemy unit dies, so I don't think the dude would even qualify for the trigger since he'll be dead at the same time as them. Hence my confusion :v:. So from what I understand you'd Warpstorm -> everything dies -> the dude isn't at the planet anymore and so no trigger occurs???. I saw the part of the rulebook you're referencing, but it's specifically talking about multiple simultaneous triggers - in my example that doesn't really matter, since it's just going to be the same trigger occurring multiple times, at worst. I'm just curious about the timing of the reaction.

Actually, this thread is answering a different question but answers the timing concern that I had: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/in...-dire-mutation/

So yes, he would be dead and no reaction would occur.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 10, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Played another game of Warhammer Conquest today. Good lord are Tau ludicrous once they get going. Even a Repulsor Impact Field on a Fire Warrior Elite is a pretty huge goddamn wall of pain, doubly so with Stealth Cadre to boost its HP. So good.

I also learned that Repulsor Field's effect does not trigger on the killing blow.

Edit: Also, can a Comm Relay block a Black Heart Ravager's rout ability?

No, because it's rout ability doesn't target, so there's no opportunity for the interrupt to trigger.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Does the LOTR core box have enough for 3-4 players before I decide to go whole hog and get 3x cores?

Isn't LotR a 1-2 player game?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oh, that's good to know. Thanks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

EvilChameleon posted:

Gonna give them a go, we'll see how it works out. I think I got the rules mostly down, but just to be clear, the damage that units take doesn't just go away at the end of the round or something like in, say, Magic where if you don't kill a thing it just heals up for next turn?

You use damage markers to track damage, it doesn't go away unless something specifically removes damage.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Conquest has been great so far, the only thing we're hung up on now is what type a card is.
At first we were confused with Squigs Bombin' or whatever Ork card that lets you blow up a support, but the rulebook explained that.
But now, we have no idea what's a 'WARGEAR' or not? I mean, it makes sense you wouldn't be able to give a tank a sword or whatever. But the Relic Sword just says 'Relic Weapon' not 'Relic, Wargear, Weapon' or what have you.
I feel like we're missing something pretty obvious in the rulebook but I haven't been able to find anything.

There is no Relic Sword, are you talking about Tallassarian Tempest Blade? Technically you would be able to attach it to vehicle, but it doesn't matter because there aren't, right now, any unique vehicles, so it doesn't matter. Take a look at Godwyn Pattern Bolter: Wargear. Weapon. It's definitely a type. Every card subtype is listed in italics on the card.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 18, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

EvilChameleon posted:

Where is this in the rules? I've been playing super wrong, always un-exhausting everything and having huge armies with the Warlord every command phase. This would make more sense but I think I skimmed over the part that says things come from HQ exhausted. Other newbie questions: If there is only one side at a planet during the battle phase, like I commit my Warlord to an empty planet, does the battle text on the planet still happen since I "win" but I didn't actually fight? And secondly, does Zarathur (Chaos Warlord)'s ability increase all damage or just attacks? Specifically, I was using an AoE and wasn't sure if it was amplified by Zarathur's ability. Based on the rules I could find it makes sense that it would, but I am not sure.

Are there any good resources for Conquest yet besides the deckbuilder? Theorycrafting and whatnot? I think I'm gonna try to make two more decks so I can have two games going at once (since I have the two core sets) -- which factions would you recommend going to next since I have Space Marines and Chaos already?

All of the units that commit to a planet alongside the warlord (followed him from your HQ) commit exhausted. If there is an uncontested battle then yes, you still win the battle and you may choose to trigger the battle ability of the planet. Zarathur's ability adds +1 to the damage that gets assigned to units during the first part of the damage process, so in the case of Warpstorming or using AoE at the same planet as Z, yes, you'd assign 3 damage instead of 2 or 4 damage instead of 3 to your opponents units. However, it wouldn't add +1 to the assigned damage if you attacked with something with a 0 attack value, because the attacking unit wouldn't deal damage at all and so would completely skip over the damage step.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That is correct.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm honestly sad the original idea for the Star Wars LCG got scrapped (it was going to be Co-Op like LOTR)

Well now I am too because I'm not a big fan of the current SW LCG.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Well if you're interested in buying literally everything for the Sentinels card game, let me know. I don't play mine nearly as much as I used to.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I actually think Orks work better with IG as allies or allied to IG than they do allying in Chaos stuff. Catachan command bunker, environment suits, and Elysians are all hella good additions.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Units like Dreadnoughts and Hell Drakes, etc, force your opponent to seriously reconsider what attacks they make and in what order. You obviously don't just play them for no reason - use them to bully planets you know will be lynchpin for your opponents, or threaten bloodying your opponents warlord in a single hit. But definitely don't just throw them into a fight 'because you want to win' - you need to make sure they're able to fight in the first round of an important combat, so you don't necessarily want them to come into a fight exhausted later on.

Plus it looks like there will be a bunch of cards coming out that only affect non-vehicle units so their relative value (the big vehicle dudes, anyways) might be going up through the first two cycles.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 29, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

The Orks are definitely short on combat tricks but they make up for it in overwhelming strength I find. As mentioned I'm not using an tokens or units that die in a single area1 attack, they're just not worth it. The card that spawns the Acolytes is just there to provide a cost reduction to one of the daemons.

Other than shoota boyz anyways, because they're just too good :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PJOmega posted:

What does Headquarters Action on Calamity mean?

It is an action you can only use during the Headquarters Phase (ie, the phase where the cleanup/drawing/resource gathering happens at the end of the turn). There is a window during that phase for actions, so you'd be able to use any Headquarters Action or generic Action during that time.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

EvilChameleon posted:

The store I ordered my Conquest cores from initially is listing Nov 14th as the day they will have copies of Blackmane's Howl for order. I looked at FFG's site and didn't see anywhere that had a definitive date, but I am bad at finding that sort of thing. Anyone know if this date is correct or approx correct? I need more cardssss.

I can check if distributors have been given a date tomorrow, but if they haven't updated it on the site there's a very small chance of that being accurate.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Why isn't Howl of Blackmane released yet.

Because gently caress you.

Also I'm really curious as to how things will shake up with the first cycle being so focused on 'stuff that tries to kill your opponents warlord like whoa', especially considering not everyone is getting that kind of warlord.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

That's how we've been playing it because the wording says that as soon as a unit is able to "strike" and there are no units on the otherwise the battle is over, but I ruled that the action window before it would still occur.

e: yeah this guy's got it VVV

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 15, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Is there an errata about that 'end of battle' trigger anywhere? Because the way the rulebook is phrased the battle is over if you have any units at a planet and your opponent has none at the beginning of your combat turn, the battle ends. Since you actually have to consume a combat turn to retreat your Warlord you wouldn't get the opportunity to retreat him before the battle ended, right?

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

I take the end of battle trigger from the Red Box in the Battle Resolution Diagram - it's the most specific of the end of battle explanations and the only one in the reference guide that has a clear cut rule for "when does a battle actually end, specifically?".

Actually I think you're right too. It looks like both conditions are active at the same time? In that case you couldn't do an unopposed retreat, but it'd still work if your only active unit after a commit (Warlord) kills the only opposing unit on his first attack, because an unopposed battle is won from the "start of Combat Turn" trigger, while a single opposing unit being killed by the Warlord means the "unit strikes but can't" isn't triggered.

Yeah that sounds right. Super specific but definitely useful if your opponent has a single command unit at a planet.