Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

I need this playmat in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/26/crafting-a-dynasty/
Next L5R Preview is up.
Things are shaping up nicely so far, Really liking how Crab looks.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I bet that holdings still work on broken provinces. Also, bets on how unique characters will likely be 1x in the core starter, yet obvious 3x includes in play?

I am almost sure they will be. Still might not want to 3x them always tho. in old L5R it tended to be better to 3 stack small dudes so you can swarm faster than it was to stack Uniques.
That +1 fate token for free is nice but it eats up a spot that can hold another dude that turn.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

So apparently holdings block dynasty card production from that province. That makes life interesting.

that is really odd.
I wonder why they went that way with it.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
They are also free buffs to the Str at that location along with an ability.
The Crab one is perfect for just blocking out attackers early while you set up your plans.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

jadarx posted:

A thing that leapt out at me from the article is that influence is only for the conflict deck. So I wonder how they are going to handle playing out of faction cards in the dynasty side. It would be weird if you couldn't do it at all.

There will be some minor mooks from other clans in the conflict deck so you can splash some there but I think all "Named" Personalities will not playable out of faction.
We might see Alliance cards like what Game of Thrones has in the future to allow clan mashes.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/10/Banzai/
A bunch of new information here.
Looks like dudes you play from hand can only get 1 extra fate.

Conflicts look great so far. I am really looking forward to this.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I miss Conquest :(

A group called Team Apoka is releasing new content at:
http://apoka.mozello.com/

You can download their OCTGN plugins from their site or a Tabletop Sim mod that has all the office stuff plus theirs at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=921262871

Conquest very well might end up like the old Decipher Star Wars CCG that has been taken over by the fans and released content for just about 16 years now.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PJOmega posted:

The big barrier right now is the last cycle packs going for $40+ each already. Slash & Burn, Jungles of Nectavus, and Unforgiven (?) especially are at an insane premium.

Well ya the physical game is going to be dead at this point. It can live on digitally tho.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/24/pinnacle-of-perfection/

Looks like the spoiled almost all the Crane cards now.
Their style seems to be control and mass honoring their personalities to push for Honor win.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

SpaceViking posted:

Hotaru looks really nasty, I can see a few combos right now, especially with Duelist Training. Duels also look like you can pull some real poo poo on your opponent.

Looks like a fair trade off those as if you are winning Duels you are losing honor.
They are really able to pressure a win by Honor or by Political Conflicts.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Pash posted:

You can also use them as ways to gain honor. That military duelist guy honored will have a duel stat of 5. If your opponent does not have anyone with high military they are pretty much forced to bid a lot or send everyone else home. You can then just not bid, send the military guy home, and gain a bunch of honor.

Honor bids are going to be the hardest part to master. So many games are going to come down to bidding too much or too little honor in the first few turns.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there a trick to telling when a card is conflict deck vs. dynasty deck? I'm not immediately seeing the visual cue that tells me Steward of Law is conflict while Hotaru is dynasty.

edit: from the front sides, obviously when we have the cards the backs will tell, but i need to know during spoiler seasons!

If you look in the lower right the card will have a D or a C on it, in the copyright line area. Also if it has the bamboo influence icons it is in the Conflict Deck.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Someone help me out, how many cards can we expect the Crane or any other faction to have in their faction in the core set, based on past LCG cores with comparable numbers of factions like Netrunner and WH40K?

I.E., is today's preview all or most of the Crane?

Much thanks to LordNat for the help on previous btw.

We have likely seen a fair check of their kit at this point.
I think we are missing 1 Province and maybe a conflict card or two.

in 2 weeks we will get another spoiler like this likely for Lion. After that I think we will have the cards for test games.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/14/masters-of-war/
Lion Spoilers are up.

Looks fairly interesting and distinct from Crane (the other "combat" faction), more focused on big pushes and expendable armies. I like the theme of sticky big dudes with a bunch of expendable smaller ones.

Edit: IMGUR of cards spoiled: https://imgur.com/a/qZDDb
For those who are at work.

LordNat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 14, 2017

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Somewhere there is a dude with a harrier deck fuming.

I think he meant that they're focused on doing stuff in conflicts, specifically political ones.

I did mean that thank you.

I hope we see Crab next, they are my back up clan since Mantis is not a thing.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
A L5R LCG mod has been posted up for Tabletop Simulator.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932563955

Only 2 Clans revealed to a playable point still but we get Dragon later this week.
Going to test some tonight if anyone is interested.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

L5R Dragon Clan preview article is up.

As expected they're all about attachments, even down to being able to play some of their characters as attachments instead.

Attachments and playing with the rings. Looks really interesting for combo players.
Things like spending fate to rings then getting it kind of back with Enlightened Warrior.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Phoenix Clan Preview is up:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/26/keepers-of-harmony/

Even more Ring interplay than Dragon Clan. Will be interesting to see Dragon VS Phoenix matches.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/

FFG is going all out for L5R Organized play. Titles you can win, prizes for beating titled players, special cards you can grant to your clan, etc.
Super happy to see them keeping the wacky player centered feel of L5R's competitive play.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

edit: IDK if I like the keeper/seeker thing, it usually turns out that one choice is way better than the others. I guess having access to the entire card pool and being able to switch up what clan you're playing whenever you want will mitigate that.

It will end up having big effects on clan's power in the meta IMO. If say Crab ends up being Keepers of Air then Honor decks might be harder to play. Seeker seems like the weaker role in the core set tho.
I have a feeling all the Keeper roles will be snatched up fairly quick.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Azran posted:

I know very little about the L5R ccg, but weren't there two more big clans? Mantis and something else (Spider maybe?) Is this another Necrons/Tyranid situation?

If we are going off the CCG it is also missing Naga, Spirit, Nezumi, Ninja, Shadowlands, and Monks. The mostly just rolled it back to the classic major clans for the setting reset.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I would expect to see Mantis and Shadowlands, but nothing more than that as dedicated factions. 9 factions would only leave 2 slots for neutral cards per pack, and 10 wouldn't leave any.

I can see them ending up like Micro Factions in Netrunner where they get 1-2 cards mixed into each cycle.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

As far as the Hatamotos, there were 8 Dragon and 0-4 for all the other clans.

http://imperialadvisor.com/wp/2017/08/18/gencon-update-day-1/
8 Dragon, 5 Phoenix, 3 Lion, 3 Crab, 2 Scorpion, 1 Crane and 0 Unicorn

LordNat
May 16, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

Went 5-0 at the Kiku Matsuri, as a TO that event made me sad, they hadn't properly considered the impact of the majority of games going to time. Sadly I had to beat Spooky in the last round.

Reminds me of the first year of Netrunner. I am worried about people playing for tie breakers at Worlds. 3 Cores might speed the game up a fair bit tho.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Deviant posted:

I'm grumbly that Crab chose Keeper of Air and not Earth.

And I'm doubly grumbly that I have to follow the will of some grognard i've never met if i want to play in big boy events, instead of being able to build what I perceive as optimal. It's going to stifle creativity.

The differing elements of Keeper do not really matter that much. Air is better for the Dishonor/Control Crab that is the better version of Crab out of core.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

What do you mean by this? I don't understand what you are reffering to.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/roles/

Top 2 players for each clan at Gencon voted on their clan's roles and those are what have to be used in official events till worlds when they get voted again.

Roles for each clan will then change at worlds each year and no clan can take the same role twice in a row.

Kind of a way to keep each year's meta fresh and L5R has always been about clans top players for clans voting on things.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

You can only build one deck from one core set, or you need two core sets to build even one legal deck? Because either one would be a new low for FFG's core set sales strategy, but the latter would be some serious bullshit.

You can build a legal 40/40 deck with one core but you will feel some hurt. You are going to want 2 cores.
If you build 30/30 decks you can make 2 decks out of 1 Core.

As with any LCG you will always want 3 cores if you are doing tournaments.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I was annoyed with Arkham Horror because so much of the extra cards are just scenario cards you'll never use. They really could have just done a single Core with that game without that much additional cost, since there really weren't that many player cards.

I went single core Arkham Horror and have not really been disappointed by it. Might be a little harder to clear the scenario's that way but I don't really mind the game being harder.

Value VS Cost on l5R Cores is better than Netrunner Cores at least since you don't end up with as many useless cards. Only thing you get extras of on 3 cores is Neutral cards that you might want more of anyways. You will have 6 of each Neutral meaning at 6 cores you can run 2 full powered 40/40 decks (that don't splash the same Clan) with zero wasted cards. Netrunner left me a bunch of cards I have 9 copies of with no use.

1 Core decks play just fine as well if you just want to play VS other people. You won't be as powerful but it is like playing MTG starter decks VS each other.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I like how in this hobby Warhammer and Magic are used as high water marks for spending.

X-Wing Player: "It kinda sucks that the Emperor Palpatine crew card is gated behind a $99 MSRP huge ship that isn't legal for standard play. I don't like spending $100 to buy the three cards I want"
Someone else: "You can buy 1x of literally every X-Wing expansion for about $1500 total. That's like, 1 year of playing MtG or one decent Warhammer army"

What do Warhammer and MtG players use as comparisons for other more expensive hobbies. Drugs? Demolition derby? Stunt aircraft racing?

Most MTG players I know compare to Yugioh. Most decent legal YGO decks are in the $500 a pop range and almost never share cards with other decks. Most MTG legal top decks are in the $200 range as a comparison.
You only get nuts when you are heading into the Commander or Legacy formats.

Warhammer on the other hand is just insane. The people who play at my work once worked out they are paying around 3-5k a year on Warhammer, this is lower than they expected.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The multi-core set issues could be easily solved if FFG just made an upgrade pack available in a blister pack to give you a complete playset, just 1-2 copies of everything the core is missing, no book or tokens, etc. Almost everyone would purchase it and be much happier than being forced to buy extra cores. It would never happen though because the only thing that it changes is how much money FFG gets.

It's still cost about the same as a core set after printing, shipping, etc. Logistically it is not really worth it on the already tiny margins that board games make.
Plus from a marketing point if you get someone to buy 3 cores they are way more likely to justify buying the expiation packs. The "I am already so invested" effect in action.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Remember that "upgrade packs" also complicate shelf space and supply chain logistics (stores would always prefer to simplify their SKU situation) compared to just cranking out more of the same core box. FFG's strategy makes sense, but it's a big value hit for me. Just this week I pulled out my old Ashes core set with some buddies - a core set that offered playsets of every card. The main thing L5R has over that is the brand, and I'm not sure the brand is that compelling anymore. That's a personal value judgement though; for some, it clearly is that compelling.

Oh man I wish Ashes had any kind of community behind it. Loved the game but there was just no competitive side of the game to keep it moving forward.
But ya I agree much of the LCG model is buying into a brand. If I had not played old L5R for so long I'd likely not be nearly as into it as I am now.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

It would be a lot easier to swallow if two cores was enough.

Limited cards to 2 copies each or be stuck with 1 extra copy of all the cards in the game. Seems like a lose/lose option.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

alg posted:

I don't mind buying three cores as I could have far more expensive hobbies (like skydiving or guns) but jeez there's no reason for such a long delay between Gencon release and wide release, and I'm sure Asmodee will still have huge supply issues just like every other game they release.

Took me 6 months after release to manage to get some Netrunner cores. That is why I caved in and bought 3 L5R Cores from Gencon. Likely still going to have to wait till release to find much local play but at least I know I will be ready for Worlds once it rolls around.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Max posted:

Apparently the Getting Started manual that usually comes with the core is not included, you just have to access that online.

You get the Learn to Play book but not a copy of the Rules Reference. They are going to do it as a living document this time round so that it cuts down on how much errata is needed.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/24/tears-of-amaterasu/
First pack reveal.

Some crazy stuff in there. This is going to be an interesting ride.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Anyone playing L5R LCG on Tabletop Simulator on Steam? Was going to buy that, but didn't want to spend money if there's no people playing

There are a bunch of people. The L5R Discord is filled with people looking for games most the day.
The main community for the game is the Discord right now too so you might just want to jump in anyways.

https://discord.gg/G339H6e

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I know aGoT2e fans are all pissed that FFG hosed up their gencon tournament something fierce too so hopefully this is a wake up call for them to get their poo poo together and actually start working with their fan communities regarding their games.

I amazes me that people are still surprised by FFG running crap events. I have been playing FFG games for 7~ years now (Netrunner release) and I don't remember a single year where Gencon and Worlds was not just a huge mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Single Tight Female posted:

Doomtown returns via the magic of Kickstarter

God knows if this'll renew interest in this twice dead game, but it did fully fund in like an hour, and once all the stretch goals unlock the actual There Comes A Reckoning set will be priced similarly to previous Pine Boxes. Plus you can buy the whole drat thing (about 2400 cards) for like $250 which is probably pretty good?

Are they fixing any of the problems or just reprinting the old cards and adding new ones?
I enjoyed the idea of the game but there was so many ways to entirely ignore the other players and win the game off deeds or capping locations.