Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ChiTownEddie posted:

Caaaaaaan't wait!
I'm staying up to date from here on out. Slowly back buying Ringmaker and what I have left in Against the Shadow.

This game is so good but so hard if you're like me and play 4 player with everyone's decks built more for theme than power. 4 out of 5 quests we drop down to easy to get through it. Last night my friends and I tried the Dunland Trap and got our asses handed to us so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Max posted:

It really is amazing how I think I'll have a handle on the staging area when I commit to quest only to have like, 5 surge cards in a row come out in one go and totally gently caress up my plans, followed by realizing with growing horror that I am going to clear the stage and had not prepared for what the next stage brings. That game knows just how to punish you without it feeling like I didn't deserve it.

This was us in the Dunland Trap last night. Just so many surges and enemies.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Azran posted:

Caleb mentioned in the CBOTR podcast that they don't have the rights to the Silmarillion, and IIRC they only recently got the rights for the movies? I'm surprised they haven't added the Woad men yet, or whatever their name was.

I don't think they have the movie rights actually. I wish they did though, there are a lot of nuts on the FFG forums who hate the movies and can't handle any variation from the lore. Like there was a dude who got mad that the Firefoot card looked like Eomers horse in the movies.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Azran posted:

Huh, thought that the APs that revisited the scenes from the films was due to that, I could swear Caleb said something about it in an interview.

Anyways, that's incredibly funny because I can't loving stand the books (I should reread them in English instead of Spanish, the prose should be better at least :v:) but I found the movies pretty interesting. I don't mind the differences and I love seeing all the cool characters that didn't get screentime. I think Battle for the Middle Earth 2 did the best mix of movies and books so far.

Nah, what he said was that the movies influenced how we all think of some things and his example was Moria. If you ask anyone their quintessential Moria experience would involve waves of goblins, but that's not really what happened in the books, it's just a movie thing. He didn't say anything about rights to the films.

I also hate the books and the prose is terrible in English too. I can't stand how dry Tolkien is.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ended up playing Mirkwood cycle 4 sphere with some newbs, and I basically hastily assembled "piles of good cards" from the Mirkwood cycle expansions. The only cards I took from another expansion are the Gandalfs from the first hobbit expansion (he's a HOUSE).

Went pretty well, we beat every encounter we played! We didn't play Escape from Dol Guldur or Return to Mirkwood. Ended up being a little easier than I expected because with four players you can all execute to a plan. For example, when fighting trolls, we made Gimli into a god drat fortress while healing him, giving him dunedain defense, citadel plate, unexpected courage, steward for one of his bros, etc. We also gave the lore player enough resources via Theodred and the card that shifts resources to make sure they could draw and search for forest snares.

I think 4 player tends to give the advantage to the players simply because there are more options to push a particular combo; for each extra encounter card, they are less likely cleverly benefit the other encounter cards in the same way that each extra player can benefit that gimli or eowyn or whatever. Imrahil would go off sometimes, too, Legolas always had something to kill, etc.

This may be true in Mirkwood, but if you're not playing super optimized decks it can get real hairy in the other cycles. The extra cards drawn combined with surge just gets ridiculous. Then you get things like Archery X and things can get scary as heck.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Azran posted:

Does Easy Mode deal with that in any way?

Easy mode removes some cards from each quest which means you might see less of some of the really awful cards, but the shrunken encounter deck means you'll cycle through it more quickly. That could be good, could be bad depending on the quest.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Azran posted:

After playing a three player LOTR game with my friends, a really interesting critique came up. We were doing Passage Through Mirkwood and I used the monosphere decks recommended in Tales from the Cards. But they complained about having to keep 2/3 copies of every single card in their deck, citing it was "boring". We didn't have this problem with Conquest where I made sure our decks were full of 1 of-s just for variety, but it's interesting nonetheless. I'm wondering if I should stick to Easy Mode while only keeping 2 cards of each kind of ally on their deck, to improve variety.

The thing about LotR is that most people build their decks for consistency which means sticking to the 50 card minimum deck size and having redundancy in your cards so that you're more likely to know what will be in your hand. You can try building decks with more one of a kind cards but of course you reduce the likelihood of drawing any one of those individual cards. Tales from the Cards has a good post about probability in relation to the game: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/a-note-on-probability/#more-2612

With that information you should be able to decide on ways to put some more variation in your decks without sacrificing essential bits of the deck. And you probably don't have to drop to Easy immediately even if you do make a super inefficient deck. Also, just playing around with different decks will make you guys more aware of what cards end up sitting in your hands all game and which end up being must use cards which will help your deckbuilding.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The good news:
It looks like the Treason of Saruman and LotR reprints like Steward's Fear etc haven't been delayed by portgate. I need that Steward's Fear expansion.

The bad news:
The Lost Realm Expansion has been delayed

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5370

Cardhaus had Treason as a Feb 28 release and Lost Realm as a March 30 release, so I wonder if this was already reflected in the schedule or if this pushes that back even further.

I was not expecting either this month, and I still don't think that Treason date is accurate. I'm pretty sure we usually see the Upcoming status change from On the Boat to Shipping over a week before it hits stores, and that's been Thursdays usually. If it changes today then maybe Cardhaus was right but I doubt it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You're probably right, but I'm curious why it's not listed then. I was hoping it was on the Scum and Villainy boat, since those all had the 2/28 date in cardhaus along with Treason, while Lost Realm and the Imperial Raider were 3/30 or whatever. But you're right, I don't see it as having the same status on the FFG boat page.

I don't care too much but I have a preorder with that and some other crap that I want sooner! I guess that's what happens when you roll the dice, I guess I should stick to less luck based worker placement games .. get it .. <farts a smoke bomb and escapes>

edit: woah, they overhauled their reprint page today: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

They overhauled everything and I hate it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Jedit posted:

Switch to Leadership/Spirit if you have the Spirit Glorfindel - which I think you do, I'm sure he was Mirkwood cycle. You'll rip through everything in the cycle bar Rhosgobel.

Nope, he was in the Dwarrowdelf Cycle. Foundations of Stone I think, but I could be wrong.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rusty Kettle posted:

It sounds like you'll soon have most of the pieces of my favorite deck, at the moment: the white counsel! Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel with all of the their unique attachments. Put an unexpected courage on Galadriel, shadowfax on gandalf, and light of valinor on Elrond. There is an attachment that allows you to ready a hero when they get a resource from a card effect, and sometimes I include that on Elrond so gandalfs staff can make him triple useful. I also put some threat reduction cards in there, like the zero coster that reduces the threat by 3.

Load up the deck with Ents and you'll have a party. Also a single Beorn for fun. Each of the heroes is pulling at least double duty. Galadriel keeps your threat down and allows you to draw more so you can get the attachments out quickly. Soon she'll be doing that and contributing to questing. Gandalfs pipe and Elrond's ring get your Ents out right before the refresh phase, so they'll start ready for action. Treebeard ally keeps them cheaper, so you can get at least one but mostly two Ents out per turn. Extra attachments make using Galadriel's mirror less of a threat to pull those last needed pieces (and more Ents) as you'll be likely to lose an extra staff or pipe.

Depending on the quest, you'll end up below your starting threat between Galadriel and the threat reduction cards. I also ended up decking myself, so I have more than 50 cards. I might work my way back down to that though, but it works with more.

In the end, you'll end up with Gandalf who can be used twice, Elrond who can be used three times, and Galadriel who is being used twice. You'll have 4-5 resources per turn (one additional from the staff and one from Treebeard) and an army of Ents. On top of all that, your threat will be close to, if not lower than what you started with. You can replace the Ents with any other allies if you want to use Galadriel's 'allies don't exhaust to quest' ability, but I usually forget about that.

Edit : One more thing that I don't think I emphasized enough: the sheer ridiculousness of the card draw. You are drawing at least two per turn with Galadriel. That becomes three with the mirror (with the negative loss but that rarely is a big deal). With Gandalf, all zero cost cards replace themselves afterwards if they are on top, so playing that threat reduction card or a Durin's runes from the top of the deck replaces itself with a new card. So add one for each zero cost card you play from the top (another use for the pipe), and an additional two for Durin's runes.

It isn't rare drawing 6-7 cards in a turn with this deck. Absolutely bonkers.

That sounds like a ton of fun. I'm always at a crossroads because I want to try all sorts of different decks, but I love my main Legolas/Haldir/Celeborn Silvan deck. I play 4 player with people who all have better defenders so I generally just shoot the poo poo out of everything while absorbing a lot of our direct damage because Silvan Trackers are dope.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rusty Kettle posted:

Not really. I tend to build by going through my binder and seeing what looks good. From the top of my head, I just started with 2x of all the essential attachements, 3x of the Ents. 1x beorn. 1x Faramir. 3x spirit threat reduction cards. 2x gandalfs big fireball. 1x bilbo to be a third pipe. 3x durin's runes.

I some of the attachments I want to see early I bump to 3, like Galadriel's mirror and readying cards, but this should get you pretty close if not over 50 cards.

Edit: also I put that side quest that lets you tutor a card. If gandalf sees it on the top of the deck, you can play it and it replaces itself instantly, so it doesn't really take up a card slot as long as gandalf plays it. And it lets you find those troublesome combo pieces early or dig up Beorn late.

Edit: At one point, I had 3x Galadriel's handmaidens in there. They help reduce threat, and are decent questers or chumps early. I took them out, but regret it.

Oh yeah, I have wardens of healing too. They pair with Elrond and keep the ents alive. You ideally want them to have one wound each for the booming ents.

This is the Homer Simpson car of Lord of the Rings decks.

CardgameDB is fun for deck building, but I mostly use it to brainstorm the first iteration of my decks and then forget to keep it updated with any changes I end up making.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I bought a couple 100 sleeve boxes of different colored sleeves for my decks that I actively use. The rest of my player cards are in a binder filled with these: http://amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XXFGG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My encounter cards are all organized in the core box and in a large generic cardboard deck box using cardboard and excess sleeves for dividers. I need a new solution though as both are full at the moment. I'd like to figure out a way to fit all the cards of a cycle into the deluxe box of the cycle but I haven't spent too much thought on it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Land of Shadow, the next LOTR Saga expansion! I was kind of hoping for some sort of Gollum/Smeagol hero, but the way they've done it seems pretty cool! New Frodo seems good, too, though I think I still like the one from The Black Riders best.

Lame that they didn't spoil any player cards, but I like that they're promising Ithilien Ranger stuff. Wouldn't it be nice if we got a Faramir hero that actually works!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

Fourth AP announcement for Angmar Awakened...
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/8/the-treachery-of-rhudaur/
...that hero :stare: I wonder what type of deck I could make around him.

Art of the Elven Spear is excellent.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Spoilers for The Wastes of Eriador are up on cardgamedb. Pretty snazzy! With this Merry, maybe I'll finally give a Hobbit deck other then Sam/Tactics Merry/Lore Pippin a go. I'm not sure if I like Rallying Cry, given its cost, but with all these new allies with enter/leave play effects makes it interesting. As for the quest, more wargs :(

There's a tactics card missing at the moment. People on the FFG forums who claim to have gotten their cards already say its a 2 cost, non-restricted attachment that can be exhausted to cancel a point of damage. That's IIRC

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ChiTownEddie posted:

Lots of amazing spoilers for the next saga box!
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/23/trapped-in-the-land-of-shadow/
Another hero Faramir!
Trap decks?!?!

I want so bad for a Gondorian Ranger deck to be viable, I hope this box does the trick.

Cardboard of the rings spoiled a card for the third pack of this cycle the other day: https://www.facebook.com/CardboardOfTheRings/photos/p.972151196139006/972151196139006/?type=1&permPage=1

That art! Magali! :swoon:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Swagger Dagger posted:

House Stark big box expansion announced:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/2/wolves-of-the-north/

They're changing the release schedule for deluxe expansions, I hope it's for all the games and not just GoT.

There's no way this applies to LotR, but it might apply to the rest of their games.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rarity posted:

Just had a go at Hunt For Gollum with the family. We pulled Massing at Night on our second turn. I thought this game was meant to be easier with more players :suicide:

Only sometimes is it easier with more players. There are some quests such as Into Ithilien which are actually much easier with one or two people. I always play 4 player though and my friends and I have beaten every quest up to the current cycle so there's hope for you. Just don't be afraid to change up your decks or try the quests in easy mode.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sassassin posted:

Enemies don't engage on second phase, but they do on first.

Game feels so much harder since buying packs and putting together some decks. Just got smashed by the tutorial quest on semi-easy (forgot to put extra resources first turn) despite getting lucky on Ungoliant's spawn (it landed on an Ambush, I had a First Strike in my hand, and Elladan had enough resources to go to town).

Got smashed by locations again. Was up to six and then pulled an 'each player removes a hero from quest' treachery and gave up.

I'm guessing your deck is tri-sphere, Elrond and his sons? Would you want to post your deck for critique?

What you want to be careful about is not having enough allies to either quest or chump block. It's fun to really buff up a hero with attachments and stuff but it's risky to rely on them. If you keep getting location locked, northern trackers are a must, Lorien guides help too.

For what it's worth, the brothers are really cool in concept but I've never had much luck making a good deck with them. This most recent cycle has added a lot of Noldor cards that I think will help with that though. At some point I'm gonna try to make something with them and the new Arwen hero.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sassassin posted:

I've been playing an Elrohir/Elladan/Erestor discard deck alongside a Spirit Glorfindel/Elrond kind-of-secrecy support deck. All Noldor all the time.

The first one is light on allies (Trollshaws Scout, Master of the Forge, Gandalf & one Henamarth Riversong) which is no problem in combat as the brothers tear through everything as fast as it appears, but questing is an issue. And running out of cards is a bigger one. Adding 20 random trash cards would help.

I think the second deck isn't pulling its weight. Elrond is expensive when I don't need his defence and while his ring ability combos well with Imladris Stargazer it's a lot of work to set up. And secrecy doesn't last long.

It's okay though. I bought more stuff. That'll solve my problems.

Adding Arwen and or Galadriel to the second deck for a three hero deck will probably help a bunch. Spirit and Lore allies tend to be expensive if I remember correctly at least with Elves.

Secrecy is another thing that seems like it could be mad cool but I haven't ever gotten to work well.

And yeah buying more cards is always the solution! :)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

CaptainRightful posted:

On the one hand, I'm tempted to be a completist. On the other, people seem to agree that a few of the Shadows of Mirkwood packs are among the worst ever.

The quests are inferior to quests that come later, but who cares, gotta have all them player cards, you never know when you're gonna want to build a deck that needs something from any one of the APs.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Zephro posted:

Thanks for the advice! I don't really know what I'm planning to do, tbh - maybe it'd be better to play straight Spirit/Lore and use Elrond to pay for the Lore cards? I guess my thinking was that Imladris Stargazer and a bit of card draw seems like it'd be pretty good for ensuring that Vilya fires most turns, right? And that means I can afford to run relatively resource light. Or maybe there's too many moving parts for that to work reliably.

edit: I think I'm fine with proxying 1 or 2-ofs from the Core, tbh.

I play 4 player and my friend was always fairly successful with an Elrond/Spirit Glorfindel/OTHER SPIRIT HERO deck(he's used Frodo, Galadriel and now Arwen). Elrond+Vilya+Imladris Stargazer works well. Elrond also gives access to Asfaloth on Glorfindel which is a must.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Can someone give me an overview about the Star Wars LCG? What it takes to get a cool deck going, how thematic it feels, how it works and is there a 3 or 4 player mode? Are there just the two factions or is it more complicated than that?

I've never really looked into it because I prefer co-op to competitive games, but it's Star Wars so I am still curious about this game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
2v2 sounds interesting to me, what should I consider grabbing to get me and my friends started with enough stuff to try that?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm coming around to the idea of playing 3 heroes. But if you're playing solo do you need to run 2 decks? Game sounds pretty hard. I guess you draw less encounter cards for fewer players but you have fewer spheres and options.

Still the more I read about it the more I think I'll go ahead and grab the core set at least, see how I feel after I play that.

The Core set quests aren't the most interesting quests, but they let you get a feel for how the game plays. Remember that running less than 3 heroes means less resources each round to pay for cards. There are ways to build decks where that isn't a big deal, but it can be difficult to get through a lot of quests that way.

I recommend you grab the core and check out two of the best blogs for this game Hall of Beorn and Tales from the Cards. You might want to read through this article on Hall of Beorn when you get your core: https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/beorns-path-part-1-core-set-deck-building/

e: TftC also has a bunch of articles aimed at new players: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/new-player-guides/

Both blogs are really just great resources for this game.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 9, 2016

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Single Tight Female posted:

That whole cycle seems all over the map in terms of difficulty. Like the Lost Realm box quests are all relatively standard and therefore the balance seems tweaked for people who own a lot of cards, but Escape from Mount Gram and Across the Ettenmoors have weird new mechanics so they've accidentally set the difficulty super low.

I'd honestly say Mount Gram is the third easiest quest in the whole game, after Passage through Mirkwood and Emyn Muil. Just start a 3 willpower hero and off you go.

Battle of Carn Dum is impossible. The only way my friends and I go through it was to say our threat out limit was 99 instead of 50 and we still almost lost.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
My friends and I houserule that each hero starts with 2 resources, even if we aren't playing easy mode. With 4 of us it's pretty likely that some bad poo poo will be on the board right away and it helps us avoid turn 1 wipes.

Usually.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

canyoneer posted:

I do the player cards in binders as well, and have all the encounter sets in penny sleeves and team bags. The ultrapro team bags will perfectly fit each encounter set plus quest cards. I then toss the encounter deck packets into the box.

I store player cards in binders and then put them in fancy sleeves, as I find that you shuffle the player deck due to card effects and whatever much more frequently than the encounter deck. Thus I don't mind the lame penny sleeves on the encounter deck

I do pretty much the same, finding out about team bags was the best thing. I like being able to store a whole cycles worth of encounter decks in the cycles expansion box. I don't sleeve my encounter cards though.

Sleeves are a must for player decks though, makes shuffling way better.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Amoeba102 posted:

I would probably buy every pack with an ent in it when i get back to buying.

You mean you don't already own every pack and have preordered the next one? :cmon:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Hauki posted:

So, what are your lotr storage solutions? I've got a bunch of old card boxes but they're full of well, cards. I'd like to keep it inside the core box, and I've been looking at either purpose-made inserts like Go7 or broken token or just making something out of foamcore. I was also looking at the horizontal card dividers that were linked a while back and think I want to print up a set for myself, or at least the labeled encounter dividers. Since I'm thinking about using those anyways, I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of the included dividers in any of the purpose-made wooden inserts. I've also never done my own foam insert before, so is it possible to just divide it up into three equal channels running the length of the box, or would I need some kind of cross-brace to keep things from shifting? If I did that, I'd also have to add a space for tokens and threat dials I guess.

Note that currently I'm sleeving everything in KMC perfects. Down the road I might rethink and just sleeve player cards, but for now I prefer just sleeving the lot. I'm not too sold on the binder idea for player cards because I don't want to have to shift or reorganize every time I get a new pack, and I also don't want to leave big gaps everywhere.

Binders are awesome, all my player cards are in a binder sorted by sphere, then type, then set. I keep my encounter cards in Ultra Pro team bags and then keep each set in the deluxe box for each cycle.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sassassin posted:

Nobody working on the game has actually read the books.

Noldo sounds stupid as gently caress.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

PerniciousKnid posted:

They're hobbits, they're supposed to sound stupid.

Exactly.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sassassin posted:

They're at the end of the book at it's already got a huge number of expansions and the people running it don't give a poo poo about LotR itself and are already eyeing new projects.

Dragging it out with new stuff fewer and fewer people will buy doesn't make sense, especially when power creep has already made a lot of early expansion player cards obsolete. They'll get Frodo to Mount Doom then reprint stuff periodically until it stops selling.

Who gives a poo poo that they're almost done with the Sagas? The game didn't start with the Sagas there's no reason it would end with them.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sassassin posted:

Why haven't they read the books, then?

Ah, you're a loving grognard, I get it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Bottom Liner posted:

Just buy it all in a month like me :v:

Except nightmare decks, does anyone really play those?

Some of the nightmare decks for the early quests make the original quests more interesting. From what I remember anyway, I think Tales from the Cards had a nightmare buying guide where he mentioned that. I haven't tried any of them yet though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I get that part, I've certainly never gone to a store to play it. I'm more surprised that no one seems to stock it.

I live on Long Island so I get all the packs through the Warstore and pick it up at their brick and mortar shop. The shop doesn't really carry any of the LotR line in store, I think once or twice I saw an adventure pack on the shelf. They're more of a miniatures store though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Drone posted:

Reposting here since I'm apparently too stupid to see that this thread exists:

So I managed to pick up the Lord of the Rings LCG from FFG at a board gaming flea market for an absolute steal (8 Euros, with the core set + the first Shadows of Mirkwood adventure pack, and in perfect condition). My husband and I have been playing steadily for the past couple weeks, and he's been loving it. He really dislikes competitive gaming, but co-op like this is right up his ally. And it helps that he likes LOTR as a property.

For just casual weekend play between us (or with another couple we occasionally game with, who are also fantasy/card game nerds), should I continue with buying the Shadows of Mirkwood adventure packs to keep with a coherent "campaign" structure, or is there another recommended box for me to go with first? I like the look of a lot of the Khazad-Dum stuff since I'm a big fan of dorfs, but I've also heard a lot of people strongly recommending doing the saga expansions (Black Riders) as a next-step.

I would prioritize packs/boxes with player cards that you want to incorporate into your decks. If you like Dwarves, the Hobbit boxes are good for that. Starting with the Heirs of Numenor box the designers started writing a lot more narrative text which adds to the experience of playing a cycle sequentially, so I'd encourage you to do so at least starting with that box.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sassassin posted:

Print off proxies for cards you want. It's insanely expensive and wasteful to buy quest packs just for 3 of a card you think could be good.

Man I own all of the cards, expensive and wasteful is miles behind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Don't forget the LotR LCG! It's good! People should play it!