Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Run me down some pros and cons to sleeving. SO far I have:

Pro:
Protect the cards
Can make proxies for stuff.

Con:
Cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Looking for some personal anecdotes here to convince me one way or the other.
Like, how much money you spent sleeving.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Okay, so what thematic deck will they suggest for that one when you won't have Frodo or Smeagol? Sam, a Faramir maybe and ???

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

mongol posted:

I'm betting we'll get two new heroes, both Rangers of Ithilien. I'd guess a new version of Faramir (leadership, perhaps?) and another. I'd guess a hero version of Damrod.

That works for a quest around Ithilien, but surely there's the taming of smeagol as a quest and the then the deadmarshes/blackgate. They did well with all the other Saga thematic decks so far, except for OHUH (because they needed to release OtD to have the heroes fully) but at least in that case you just put in some dwarves to replace other dwarves. There is only Sam apart from Frodo. Maybe the quests will work for a solo hero + fellowship hero. I dunno, maybe it's just because I go overly thematic to the point of being detrimental that I care about this.

Also I unpacked my delivery of Return to Mirkwood + Kazad dum/Dwarrowdelf cycle + The Road Darkens. Now I have to seriously consider a storage solution. I'm thinking of making an insert for the Kazadum box to separate out the quest/encounter decks in a 2 by 3 configuration and working with that somehow. I haven't had to mess with my core box yet because I have all the player cards in the top part of the original insert and store the mirkwood cycle in their boxes underneath the insert.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Was OCTGNing with LOTR. Got through to Moria on the second try with the suggested decks - which could honestly do with some work but I find it hard to make decks directly via the OCTGN deck builder. But Moria itself , I have no real plan for the Balrog. I know roughly what I should be doing for the first two thirds then I just end up hitting a wall. I tried three times and the last time went rather well, I was in a great position at 2A and worked well through this stage and even got to the 3A before the Balrog came out but I was just beaten down and limped to a loss. I know I messed up by waiting for 9 resource tokens on the quest rather than 6 for two players, So I would have had one or two more rounds till the Balrog showed up. I could have made some progress on the stage maybe. But how do you actually kill the Balrog? Even if you sacrifice a hero with the Great Bridge, you still have 11+ dmg to deal.

And just to confirm something - Doom, Doom, Doom makes the BAlrog attack as soon as it shows up, and every quest phase thereafter - and then it attacks again during the combat phase.Right?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Well, yeah that's what I meant. At the end of quest phase he'll attack every round, and then again during the combat phase. So, the first time he shows up he'll only attack during the combat phase, since the end of phase trigger is already passed?

Also, sorry to break it to you - Landroval doesn't save discarded heroes, only destroyed ones. You'd need a Fortune or Fate or something.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Is there a difference? When we did finally beat that quest, we also had Fortune or Fate ready (although had we chosen to use it we would have had to sacrifice someone other than Idraen 'cause she had some of the blue dollars). I think we might have ended with a slightly worse score, but other than that it wouldn't be too different. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Destroyed means that it has died by means of damage. Your covered anyway.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I got through the mines of Moria, but I just ran away over the bridge because even with a sacrifice I wouldn't have been able to take on the Balrog. Now I have twice as many burdens to bring along drat. The condition ones don't bother me since I seem to have been able to deal with them pretty well with Elrond's coming in and just putting the burdens on Fatty since I don't use him for anything. Definitely getting rid of Fatty when I rework the decks - his only use was in the Knife in the Dark since you can quickly boost to engage Bill Ferny and then use threat reduction afterwards.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The wording is ambiguous since it doesn't say you can't choose an eagle ally in a discard pile.

Edit: But checking further, to interact with discard piles it needs to be specifically stated. If only you could use it before a discard action resolves.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 14, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

When text is "when an enemy engages a character" does that include voluntary engagements?

Yes

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Not engaged. Gets a shadow card.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1702-official-nate-rule-clarifications/page-2
Shadow cards should be dealt during attacks made outside of the combat phase. The [rules, pg 18] reads, "when resolving enemy attacks, follow these four steps." The main issue I see with that interpretation is that it is conflating the resolution of an attack with the act itself, and making the jump to the conclusion that anything that does not happen during the resolution of an attack (such as the dealing of a Shadow card) is not a part of the attack.

Some cards just reiterate that you have to deal a shadow card.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Do it by the symbol on them, like say for core, put the forest ones together, spider ones etc.

Speaking of which. I need to actually store my cards better, but a binder seems too much hassle to me. I think sleeve them then sorted piles in a box might be the way for me. Sections for player cards / Encounter / quest cards. Player cards by sphere, release - thanks to the earlier idea - and then by their type. Encounter cards by Release, then by their set, and then by specific importance - that is put the important ones for quest setup somewhere easy to get to. Quest cars just by release.

I could binder player cards in the long run but I'd probably do a sorted stacks at first.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Killing trolls: Gimli with a Citadel plate works well, otherwise give as much +attack to whoever has the highest base attack. Direct damage abilities to avoid their defense, when they are engaged with you, since one troll stops you from damaging them otherwise. That is, sneak attacking in Gandalfs.

But you also will probably want to play with two decks, because you'll get a minimum of 4 sacks, which can take out everyone if you play with one deck. You usually want to stall a bit on the first quest card to build up before the trolls get there, but at the same time keep your threat down, so having a threat reduction deck should also help. That way you can keep the trolls in the staging area until you want to take them on.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I swear the split damage as you like was a ruling at some point.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, there is a core event card to let you block with as many as you like.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Feint - yeah deal it a shados card at the start of phase since feint happens after dealing cards. Then discard it whenever but officially discard at the end of the phase.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Power of Mordor - i would say no, dont count it. I think you're supposed to end up with the same amount of cards as before you drew power of mordor. But its lotr lcg so if you do what's worst for the player then it's probably correct.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

End of phase? Why? Is it resolved?

The end of the combat phase. The enemy doesn't attack so the shadow card never resolves, it is just discarded. This helps thin the encounter deck just a little so you might dodge a bad card if you're lucky.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

I dont think thats true, Carn Dum relies on shadow cards being piled up.

Because that's a special quest effect. Normally you'd discard shadow cards at the end of the combat phase.

The Clutches of Carn Dûm
Type:
Quest
Encounter:
the Battle of Carn Dûm
Quest Points:
Card Text:
Setup: Add Thaurdir to the staging area, Captain side faceup. Add 1 copy of Carn Dûm Garrison per player to the staging area. Search the encounter deck for 1 copy of Accursed Battlefield and make it the active location. Shuffle the encounter deck.

Thaurdir cannot leave the staging area and cannot take damage. At the end of the round, if Thaurdir is Champion side faceup, flip him.
Do not discard unresolved shadow cards at the end of the combat phase.
Forced: If there are 3 shadow cards dealt to Thaurdir, flip him.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There is one Spirit card that does it. Dwarven tomb is not it.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-card-spoiler/_/core/fortune-or-fate-core

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Anduin is not that hard. Generally more players makes it easier, especially for combat focused encounters. Location heavy encounters you could get land locked since it's harder to clear multiple locations, but you'd have the spirit allies that help with that. Treachery heavy ones can be bad especially if they affect all players, but even then you can probably handle 4 treacheries. The main problem I guess comes from the greater variation in draws.
But more players also means sharing the burden. Such as for Dol Guldur, you lose one hero at the setup as a prisoner. The more players, the less of a hurdle that is. And each player can focus more on their strengths rather than having to do something weakly. Such as Tactics trying to quest when you have fewer players, or just fighting all day everyday with 4 players.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I find it hard to make decks in LOTR. Just picking the Heroes I want to use can be hard enough, and then I end up wanting to have too many cards and the deck's too bloated. It probably wasn't a problem before when I had less cards and I ended up having filler cards. But now, with just two cycles (Mirkwood and Kazadum) and 4 saga boxes I'm struggling. I know I can probably make some easy Dwarf, Hobbit, Rohan, or Eagle decks but I tried to make two decks not based on traits. I had a Tactics/Lore with Gimli/Legolas/Glorfindel and a Spirit/Leadership with Eowyn/Eleanor/Aragorn and I just kept going "I want this, and this and this" when making the decks. I think making 4 mono sphere decks would be easier to build, just a bigger pain to play.

Anyway, I tested the decks out to find weaknesses, and I didn't have enough allies, but that may have been the shuffling. I'll have to go through a few more games to sort it out I think. It'll be the best way to learn. Even though I smashed the Passages through Mirkwood, I should redo it and try pushing further to really highlight the weaknesses.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Re High Starting threat: I'd usually just aim to have a bit below the really big baddies in the Encounter deck so I can choose to take them on or not, but otherwise I generally would be optionally engaging enemies the round they enter the staging area even if my threat was lower so I don't worry too much about it. Especially for a Tactics deck. The Hill Troll with 30 threat level might be a problem, but most others at at 35.

I modified my decks a bit yesterday. Dropped a bit of attachments in the Tactics/Lore and got more allies in, and dropped some leadership events for attachments and Lore stuff into the other one. Re-did the Passage through Mirkwood because it was late and I didn't have time for much else. The deck seemed stronger. Completed the scenario in under 4 rounds which I think is only slightly quicker than before. I had less close calls. But now I have to do something more challenging. In the current state, the Hill Torll in the Journey down the Anduin will auto-engage so I need to rely on favourable starting hands. Or change up the heroes to get that threat down.

I've looked at Hall of Beorn, but I forgot about Tales from the Cards.

Edit: My current two deck strategy is: Tactics side will do most of the attacking, so I have attachments for Legolas and Gimli with some allies and events to help with that. Lore is there for healing and other minor utility in draws. Glorfindel is for questing. Leadership with Aragorn is for defending where possible, Sentinel wise. So I've got some defensive buffs for him. And then Spirit is for questing, land management with allies and treachery management with events/Eleanor.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 20, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Alrighty. Tried Jorney down the Anduin with my "High starting threat" decks. Lucky start, Sneak attack Gandalf + Rivendell blade meant I got the Troll on the first turn. Troll got the shadow card that meant defender defense was 0, so I lost the Gandalf and got +2 threat. Smashed through into the second stage of the quest. Tried to keep the staging area clear, Had good land management stuff with Lorien guide and Northern tracker + glorfindel with asfaloth. Tacctics got basically 0 cards, and Lore cards were pretty meh. Got a mass of enemies when I got to the third stage and got overrun.

Tried again, no changes. Again had a sneak attack gandalf. Black arrow this time to kill the Troll. Actually had tactics cards so I got some little guys out. Also had Asfaloth again but didn't draw many locations. Kept the area clear and had 3 enemies to deal with in the final stage and killed them all in the one round. A big swing in difficulty.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I have to catch up in the saga cycles.
And since I did a quick and dirty box insert to get all my cards into the core box, I can probably pick them up at some point soon. Can't do all the cycles however.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 27, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

How much replayability is there with each adventure pack for LotR?

I can only speak on the saga boxes: I find it fun to replay and try with different decks and heroes. Either go full thematic in deck construction or just go with some favourites. But the saga boxes probably have more nostalgia factor from reading the books and familiarity with the events depicted.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I tried Dol Goldur with my high threat decks. And wouldn't you know, I threated out on one and it snowballed. drat undefended Ungoliant Spawn Shadow card. I lasted a few rounds after that, but with Doomed keywords cropping up, my time was pretty short. I did get the prisoner out, and the Nazgul to 8/9 damage with some easy ways to manage (ie kill it) it for at least one more round as my tactics/lore sat at 49 threat and clear the way for my spirit/leadership deck to smash through the rest of the game possibly. But a doomed keyword during staging and then it was all all over basically.

I'll probably play it again and have a big swing in difficulty in my favour. I did get decent cards for Tactics/Lore - allies and stuff like that. Could have been slightly better but no complaints. Spirit/Leadership had Aragorn captured and only Leadership cards for the most part.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Beat Dol Goldur after a few tries. I feel like I got an easy run when I did win though. There's a lot of variation in the setup - which hero gets captured can be huge, and what cards get put in as guards is an even bigger swing. You could have basically nothing starting in the staging area vs having 3 high threat stuff.

Has anyone beat it solo? I've only managed it double decking. Just having only two heroes and at most one ally against maybe 8+ threat (for a bad start) on the first quest I can't figure out what you'd build for. Resources and stalling maybe, and trying to build up an army. while hopefully keeping the staging area manageable. I had a lot of location control going on and that certainly helped. And sometimes I was happier to see a treachery than anything else because it meant nothing was staying in the staging area.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I will finally start the Mirkwood cycle when I play next time. So I'll start to get used to how each one kills me.

I think it's just the massive swings that can happen in the setup that get me. I know Dol Goldur is hard, but I feel like I got let off easy. And I find that a bit frustrating because I then don't feel like I actually beat it. I can't remember what my set up was, but I swear I once had three treacheries that did nothing for the guard cards, so basically started with an empty staging area.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's fair. But i half feel like i cheated when I'm too lucky. I won't let it frustrate me too much though. Like you said, I'll just replay it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, one of my "ohhhh, dammmmnnn itttttt" moments was realizing I can't use actions once attacks start happening. Only after the shadow cards are dealth, and then after ALL attacking/defending is done and resolved.

What actions are you thinking of specifically?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I just do actions whenever. There's probably an action window close enough to when I want to do something that it'd slot into a valid window anyway. I think the game allows for changing your mind as much as you like up to a point of information reveal. Anytime you reveal new information, you can't go back beyond that point.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I played through the Hobbit Saga with the suggested thematic deck a bit. And also a much harsher thematic deck (ie no allies but the company), without any kazadhum/dwarrowdelf stuff. It's tough but possible. I switched it up for the battle of five armies since thematically there is more than just the company there.
I started the Black Riders with the suggested deck, which only uses core and Black Rider cards, and it's a good deck for the first scenario. After that I think I went back to playing double handed.

It is possible to do Core and saga only, but there are some cards you'd really want from the cycles. Hobbit you'd want a lot of the dwarven stuff. LOTR you'd want at the minimum Fast Hitch from the first cycle.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Necromancer's Reach is great for drawing on Setup.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I would probably buy every pack with an ent in it when i get back to buying.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Orcs never seem to question the amount of trees and eagles down in their tunnels.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I think as you draw the crow as the final card you might have to reshuffle the discard pile back into the encounter deck if it's during the quest phase, before the crow goes back into the encounter deck.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's empty while you are revealing the card. As soon as you draw the final card, it is empty and should be reshuffled.

I store my cards upright in the core box with some quick and dirty box dividers to get 4 rows and then card dividers between sets of cards (encounter by set, player cards by sphere, currently in use decks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It works oretty well. You can two hand if you open up two octgns and uh play local i forget what its called. Sometimes finicky