Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yay! A separate thread where I can constantly talk about how great/fun/super LOTR LCG is :)

I just beat Khazad-dum last night and the Dwarrowdelf APs were handed to me about 45s ago. Excited to dive in to those ASAP.

Expect session reports and my lovely deck lists :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Nibble posted:

I think the biggest problem I have now is trying to not spend money on all the cards I could conceivably want, since I'm already interested in a bunch of other deck ideas. Thorin/Balin/Ori Dwarves, maybe mono-Tactics with Gimli/Beregond/[Legolas or Hama], and the Spirit/Lore deck would be insane with Eowyn/Spirit Glorfindel/Elrond. But not only do I not want to blow all the money to get everything right away, I think the game itself would be less enjoyable if I just went straight for the power cards and blasted through every quest with relative ease.

Good luck with that. Less than even 2 months ago I had the Core set. Now I have Core, Black Riders, Khazad-Dum, Dwarrowdelf cycle, and Hobbit Part 1.
I can't stop buying them! :homebrew:

:negative:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Another Voice of Isengard article/spoiler!
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4651
Less than a week away!

...I'll probably get it with the Super Bowl prop bet money I got...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Nibble posted:

The two Hobbit saga expansions have a ton of Dwarf stuff, it seems.

Definitely this.

Last night I built a hobbit secrecy deck for giggles. We'll see how it works...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

j8910 posted:

Just be aware the Erebos Battle Master got errata'd and so it only gets +1 attack for each dwarf ALLY instead of character.

If you buy the reprints it actually has this text on it!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

DonnyTrump posted:

I don't have the link handy but I know there's one on BGG in the files. I just printed it off a few weeks ago to make some decent dividers.

This one? http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/96718/list-of-encounter-set-symbols-and-titles

I have a question about this card: http://hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Details/51223bd0-ffd1-11df-a976-0801213c9020
Does 'refresh action' mean that you do this during the refresh phase? So that they are exhausted for the upcoming turn?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

This is correct. Anything listed as a "X Action" can only be done during an action window in phase X. There's a nice chart of the action windows in this reference sheet.

Great, thank you!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Did anyone pick up Voice of Isengard?
I'm going to head to my local shop to watch their Netrunner league this weekend (never played or seen it before) and figured I'd pick it up if they have any copies.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Aaaaaah! Finally beat the third quest from Khazad-dum. This is my first time reaaaaaally having to tailor a deck to the quest rather than using a generic questing or combat deck. Honestly I think it finally clicked for me that this isnt like any other deck builder I've played and that making a deck for the quest is legit and how its supposed to be played.

Loving this poo poo. Also that even though I have to possibly remake a deck a deck for a quest doesn't mean it can't be thematic :)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'd vote not to worry about it too much except don't just get Heirs of Numenor first (cause I hear its super hard if you have a limited pool of cards). I started with Khazad-dum and Dwarrowdelf cycle because it was what was in stock when I wanted more quests. Working though it now, so far I am enjoying it quite a bit.
The Hobbit and Saga stuff is super thematic. I can't wait to get more of that too.

Give this a read if you want more help: http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Lawen posted:

How are you guys storing all of your LotR stuff? I was thinking about ordering one of these laser cut box inserts and printing dividers for each faction, scenario, and encounter set. Currently I have 2 Cores, Khazad-Dum, and all the APs from the first two cycles, so everything should fit fine. Anyone have a better idea?

I just got that laser cut thing (sleeved version). I did something very similar to this:

(img from bgg)
The separators are just the AP/Exp boxes cut up a bit, actually works pretty dang well. I am getting a lil card storage box for the player cards and using this for the encounter cards and quests. I'll post my pic when its done this weekend.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Did my organization last night

Now to finish off the Dwarrowdelf cycle and move on to the Hobbit! Once I finish that I can finally legitimize getting another expansion haha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
In LotR LCG does "Active location" also refer to quest card if you don't have a location?
Such as for Lorien Guide: "After Lorien Guide commits to a quest place 1 progress token on the active location."

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The 3rd AP has been announced... http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4690

Also based on this review of the quests, I think I need to get this new cycle next. http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/voice-of-isengard-quests-review/

If I wasn't gone for the next, like, 3 weeks I'd probably finish up everything I have hehe.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Alright I am nearly caught up on my current content. What do you guys think I should tackle next? The Shadows of Mirkwood cycle or Against the Shadow?

I have Core, Dwarrowdelf, Black Riders, Over Hill and Under Hill (waiting on reprint of the second one). I don't care about going in order, just looking for interesting stuff :)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Epi Lepi posted:

I've been going through the quests in order of release with my friends and we recently finished Shadows of Mirkwood. We always play with 3 or 4 people so our experience may be different from yours. The quests in it are about the same level of fun as the Core set. However, for us about half of them were win/lose immediately, like if we had a great opening hand/lucky encounter pull we were guaranteed a win in a turn or two, but if not, complete failure. Our amount of players and varied starting Threat values probably is what caused this win/lose situation though. We haven't really done any Against the Shadow quests, but they have a reputation for difficulty and I know they have some gimmicks like questing with attack or defense values instead of willpower.

From a player card perspective it depends on what decks you like to play with which cycle you should go for, but I will say that Shadows has Song cards that allow you to attach another sphere to a hero which makes playing tri and dual sphere decks easier.

I think I'll just get the Mirkwood cycle. Might as well have the general order of cards even though your description of the quests isn't the best. Thanks!

Also general article about theme/gameplay from a few days ago if people didn't see it: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4739

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Epi Lepi posted:

Don't get me wrong, we really enjoyed ourselves playing through the cycle, I just feel like those quests aren't the best the game has to offer.

That's fair. I guess I kind of reasoned out that more recent cycles are more likely to be reprinted soon so I might as well get the original one now (who knows if that is even right :P)

Also yay, the second part of the Hobbit is being reprinted and appears to be "On the Boat"

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
WELP.
Just lost two times against Watcher in the Water in probably less time than it took to set them up. I suppose that means time to make a new deck. hahaha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Pander posted:

That seems to be me in every challenge.

My outlands deck is too slow to build up questing strength. Right now it's Hirluin, Theodred, and either Boromir (lower threat) or Aragorn (ready-ready!). If I don't get a couple of those +spirit outlands guys early, then I pretty much get overloaded with threat by most quests' openings.

Soloing is hard :(

I think its a blast. I'd love to get one of my friends interested to do some multiplayer, but for some reason I have almost no interest in doing two handed right now.
Typically I play the next quest with my previous deck, and that rarely works out. Especially since I like to beat a quest twice to prove it wasn't TOTALLY dumb luck the first time.

@sirtommygunn: You still get location locked with a nearly entirely questing deck? That's rough.
I just got the Mirkwood Cycle so I'm going to be tackling them soon. Straight questing missions tend to be the most boring and easy though, I think, so far.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
More news about the ringmaker cycle: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4798
...Galadriel :stare:
What a unique hero.

That said I haven't played much recently, although this weekend is a big game-a-thon with my college friends and a bunch of them want to learn :) Hoping to get a bunch of them excited to play so its just not a solo game for me.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Epi Lepi posted:

Galadriel/Celeborn secrecy deck is the first thing I'm gonna try when this cycle is over.

haha I want to try that too! I'm still behind. Once I beat Hobbit 2 I am getting Heirs. I'll catch up to these new cards some day....

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

The Tales from the Cards blog has released a big fan expansion for Lord of the Rings: The Card Game called First Age. I've only given it a glance so far, but it looks pretty good!

I am reading through the cards now myself. Obviously can't tell without playing but it looks INCREDIBLY well done. Also hard :P

Speaking of LOTR LCG, I've played once recently (still solo) but mentioned it off handedly to a friend...HE IS OBSESSED. I am super excited because he is chomping at the bit to come over and play it. This will definitely revitalize the game completely if him and I can lock down a time to play weekly or something.
Supa exciting.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Rusty Kettle posted:

If you really want proven decks with those packs, I would recommend looking at the Beorn's Path series of articles. They discuss decks that are able to beat each quest starting with using just the core set, then adding each pack through the mirkwood cycle in sequential order.

I personally have beaten most quests with one deck that uses cards up through the next cycle. It involves using Elrond and Vilya to cheat out tons of allies, and to be honest, it gets kinda boring having one deck to rule them all. I still need to side board some cards depending on the quest from time to time, but I have been going in blind and beating the quests over 50% of the time with this spammy anti-thematic Elrond/Glorfindel/Bilbo deck. I am going to try the double-fisted approach once I get through the rest of these quests, as well as a thematic dwarf deck.

I've done something similar, but now that I have a buddy to play with I'm switching my decks more often to silly combos/trait/thematic decks. Typically means my deck is less strong but usually more fun. Also sometimes when we lose because one or both of us is running a non-ideal deck its hilarious because we implode so fast and hard.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hero Gandalf!!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4974

Can't wait :getin:

E: too awesome to not give an image of.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 6, 2014

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I think it is interesting especially considering decks that use him as a hero cannot use any Gandolf ally cards, which are a staple in many decks. So I feel like they need to power him up to compensate for that. Very solid hero.

Is he the only hero? It looks like it is coming soon, so it might already be at GenCon.

The article said there are 2 new heroes, the other is a different fellowship Frodo.

I really want this to be released soon, but it looks like it is in "At the Printer" status.

Anyway. Last night my buddy and I (he just got the core set) played online via webcams (we're dorks that prefer the cards) and had a blast. I was playing whatever random dwarf deck I had setup and we did the Journey Along the Anduin. Ended up being a long, hard fought, fun victory. I got screeeeeewed multiple times so that the dwarf ridiculous snowballing never really happened. Probably made for a way better experience though :P

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So whatcha guys think. I have Core, Mirkwood Cycle, Khazad-Dum, Dwarrowdelf Cycle, Black Riders, and both Hobbits. I recently started to play with two different people so I've been blitzing through quests and playing a ton in general. This satisfy's my requirement for buying MORE. :homebrew:
Should I get Heirs of Numenor and keep going 'in order' or just hop over to the new cycle with Voice of Isengard?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

mongol posted:

FFG has spoiler list

example:
http://ffgapp.com/qr/MEC18

Printer + Scissors + Extra Card + Sleeve = Proxy

:aaa:
I need to do this with the extras I want from the core set.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
What is this game, the VS system?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Are we expecting FFG to announce anything of importance for LOTR?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
News that I can see so far for LOTR.
Treason of Saruman is the next Saga expansion (early 2015) with Aragorn as the Fellowship hero.
Next deluxe expansion is The Lost Realms based out of Angmar.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I saw mention of the new LOTR Deluxe set earlier in the thread, but here are some pictures for the sake of completeness. I'm pretty excited about a box set with more Undead and Dunedain.

I'm missing a lot of the LOTR sets, but the theme on this one is enough for me to pick it up before some of the others I'm missing.

It looks so good. They really are killing it with LOTR.
My poor poor wallet.

Also I find it pretty funny that they basically announced two more Aragorn heroes. Probably a tactics one there and a Fellowship sphere one. We must have ALL THE ARAGORNS.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Lost Realm info was posted!
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5003
Focus seems to be on rangers!

quote:

The Lost Realm introduces two new Dúnedain heroes, numerous Dúnedain allies, and a wealth of player cards that reward players for engaging enemies.

Also the cycle is called Angmar Awakened!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Nightmare packs are like the expansion to the corresponding adventure pack.
I feel like I am still so so so far from tackling Nightmare hahaha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I do something like that ^^^

Except that I have my player cards sleeved in something like these, organized by sphere and type: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/146007

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I hope one of my friends gets interested in Warhammer Conquest, seems like it'd be fun...but I don't want to buy it if I can't play it haha.

I've been going through LOTR quests starting with the base core set with a buddy over hangouts. Considering how much trouble we had with the Escape then, hilariously, Hunt for Gollum...last night we DESTROYED Conflict at the Carrock.

I was playing a general support/questing deck with S Glorfindel, Eowyn, and Beravor and I could basically just barely quest through a location each turn so he could build up his deck. I'd actually never played the quest, and hadn't looked at it ahead of time, but could just tell with 2 quest cards...we reaaaally didn't want to blitz through phase 1. Fun to totally man handle a quest though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

inSTAALed posted:

What sleeves does everybody use for LotR stuff? I need a lot.

I just use the standard Ultra Pro clear sleeves. And I've shifted to just sleeving the player cards too haha

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

EdsTeioh posted:

Is there a consensus on the original stuff vs. Hobbit? Either way, thanks for the response.

Check this out http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

Personally I did core -> khazad-dum exp -> dwarrowdelf cycle -> Black riders exp -> Mirkwood cycle -> Hobbit exp's -> Heirs of Numenor -> working on against the shadow now.
I liked the cards more in the dwarrowdelf so thought that was a good starting thing. Almost anything except HoN would work first, I'd think.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh hype, that's a great guide! I think I'm going to do Hobbit since the original stuff is between printings at the moment. Thanks!

Welcome to the rabbit hole :)

I really enjoy the hobbit boxes, kinda forget what is in them exactly, but you should be able to make a passable dwarf deck if you wanted.
Oh, also check out hall of beorn, the other great LOTR LCG blog.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
LOTR Core set is the deal of the day at MM for 18$ http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgmec01.html

E: vv Dang, pretty quickly. Well, it is a ridiculous price haha.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Pander posted:

So I think my Steward's Fear AP was missing two cards, two outlands ally cards (the +spirit and +attack ones). I only have 2/3 of each of those two.

Is that, uh, commonplace?

I'd have to check when I get home (haven't played any outlands decks)...but ...probably not. I don't recall missing any when sleeving.