Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tengama
Sep 6, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

My friends and I tried Road to Rivendell tonight. That quest is just mean. We barely made any progress on the first phase before we called it a night. The worst was the Orc Raiders that kept forcing us to discard our attachments. I'm not even sure how to build a good deck for this quest, maybe just lots of cheap allies? Anyone have any advice?

Biggest thing for that quest is to have treachery/shadow cancellation for Sleeping Sentry and Orc Ambush both of which can be an instant loss later in the game and if at all possible make sure it isn't the first player that is being relied on to do it since one of the Treacherys wipes the first players resources. Also burning brands are really encouraged since there are some incredibly bad shadow effects in the deck.

A lot of the enemies in it only have 2 HP so Thalin and Gondorian Spearmen can help to keep their numbers manageable especially the goblin archers that Thalins ability will kill outright, And each player will want at least a few allies in play to soak up Undisturbed bones.

Only other thing I can think of without knowing your card pool is if you have any healing characters on the table use them in the action window before placing tokens to advance to stage 3 since you can't heal once there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengama
Sep 6, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What spheres would you use if you were going to play the Mirkwood cycle with Mirkwood cycle player cards and three players? I have 2 core sets and every expansion, have been playing 2 player so far and haven't built any 3 player decks.

If you are looking for hero spreads and not unlocking cards as you go I would say go with something like if you want each deck to have 2 spheres to play around with.

Dain - Thalin - Gimli

Eowyn - Denethor - Beravor

Aragorn - Theodred - Legolas

This would give all 3 decks an Attacker, a Defender and a decent opening questing power (9 with just starting heroes and includes Aragorn/Theodred Combo and the potential for more progress with Legolas) plus it would allow dwarf synergy to get a bit more bang out of allies. Problem is you won't have access to Eleanor this way but it gives you much better stats overall to deal with problems that come up and the attack power of the middle deck is a little low since it would be relying on Beravor as an attacker but the third deck gets Legolas to help with that in early game.

If you want mono-sphere decks to team up with a dual sphere deck then you can go with:

Eowyn - Frodo - Dunhere

Imrahil - Aragorn - Theodred

Lore and Tactics get Kinda screwed when Mono-sphering in the first cycle due to a lack of offensive or questing power but for Tactics at least you can do something like:

Brand - Legolas - Boromir

and that gives you 2 Ranged heroes to play around with and Brand has 2 willpower so he can contribute a little bit during the questing phase and Boromir is an Offensive and Defensive powerhouse if you have Gandalf and Spirit cards to help keep it from threating out.

Lore is Kinda tough to work with since their hero selection at that point isn't terribly grand, but if you wanted to team it with the tactics deck above to handle offense for it you could go with something like:

Glorfindel - Beravor - Bilbo

Use Beravor as your defender and Glorfindel as your quester and use Bilbo to initiate attacks for the Tactics Ranged people to join in on and if Beravor was used to defend you can then use Brands ability to ready Him and make use of his card draw. Beravor only has 2 def though so he will need burning Brand and maybe 1 or 2 of the Dunedain Warnings from the dual sphere to up his def.

Hope this helps.

Tengama
Sep 6, 2011

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I wonder what they'll add from the movies. They seem to be doing well enough with the Saga Expansions. I know The Hobbit movies touched on things from the Silmarillion, but did the LotR films add any content from that book?

Maybe an Arwen Hero since she replaced Glorfindel in the movie but they already did that scene in The Black Riders, They could also make another version of Haldir and some new elf stuff for Helms Deep, and it would be a huge stretch but maybe army of the dead as a faction similar to Outlands. I think those are some of the bigger changes the movies made that could be somewhat translated to the card game.

Tengama
Sep 6, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

lotr: What is the bleeding edge precise definition of "deal damage"

If I cast heavy stroke, does the enemy shield eat the damage twice?

I'm pretty sure you only compare the Defense value to damage when attacking. So damage from actions and character abilities that don't generate attacks won't be reduced. One of the newer quests has a keyword that does reduce those I think but I don't remember what its called. In the case of Heavy stroke it would deal damage equal to the amount the original attack did after defense but it would not apply the defense again to Heavy strokes damage.