Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm organizing my Flames of the West. Does Battle of Pelennor Fields have a 1/45?

LOTR? 1/45 is usually the hero, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Which presumably means you can't carry Lita over to other adventures either, unless they say you can.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I have no idea what game you people are playing, but it's not AH:LCG. I decided to give it one last try yesterday. Played the introductory scenario as Wendy. Got the card that adds 2 to the investigation requirement on the first Mythos phase. Played Unexpected Courage, drew a -3 and failed. Cycled my deck including using the Rabbit's Foot and bonus actions from Leo, found enough cards to have another go. Drew Rune and failed. Cycled with the Foot, hit Amnesia, gave up because gently caress this lovely game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zerf posted:

If you cycled your deck, there are a number of cards that would've helped you:

Lucky! adds 2 to your skill check if you are about to fail.
"Look what I've found" nets you 2 clues if you failed by less than 2.
Flashlight lowers shroud by 2.
Wendys ability lets you redraw tokens.

Also, if you played the starter deck, you have a total of 9 intellect icons and 7 wild icons to use. There's a lot of stuff you can do to help a 3-against-4 test, even though you got a bad start. Surely you don't expect the game to play itself without your interaction?

Edit: Lower the difficulty level is also an option, either until you've gotten a hang of things or permanently if you don't like the challenge - it's a coop game after all, not a competitive one.

Sorry, by "cycling" I meant I was cycling through it - not going all the way, just as far and as fast as possible. I think I was able to draw 12 cards total, and I got roughly the average number of icons including both Unexpected Courages. I did play Leo for the extra action, but I didn't draw Lucky, LWIF or Flashlight - if I had I would have used them, obviously. I could have made three 3v2 checks on turn 1 if necessary, but I would have lost three draws from the Rabbit's Foot including the second UC. Getting to Act 2 on turn 1 would probably have put the Fog on the Cellar - a Fog on the Attic is something you can cope with, so I would always go to the Cellar first to reduce the risk. Having fluffed my first try with Roland due to missing a rule I went through the rules three times to make sure I wasn't missing anything this time. So far as I know difficulty was already at the easiest, but if it wasn't that's the recommended setup in the LTP book and if that's not good enough then nobody should have any confidence in the game designer to create balance.

And no, I don't expect the game to play itself. I don't even expect it to be easy, as such; I know the Golden and Silver Rules of Arkham Horror. But what I also don't expect is for the game to be effectively ended by a couple of bullshit draws, and that's what AHLCG gives you far too often.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

How? The Rabbit's Foot draw is a response to losing a skill check. It's not just a draw action. Card draw is always an action you have available to you; Rabbit's Foot just means failing those skill checks isn't such a blow. And no, you wouldn't have had 3 draws - like I said earlier, it's an exhaust, so once per turn only.

I'm not sure you've read the rules or cards properly.

You've not really answered anything about not using Wendy's special ability or why you were trying to draw so many cards, etc.

Yes, I know the Foot is once per turn. I'm talking about using it on three separate turns, failing a check on each. And I was trying to draw so many cards because I needed more Intellect/Wild icons to pass the check with anything other than the single +1 token.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

You should really consider watching a a gameplay vid on Youtube or something, you may need to reconsider your approach. I recommend noaloha, he's pretty good.

I'll take a look at it. This isn't a game I'm making GBS threads on to be edgy or contrarian, I really want it to be good and so far I've been very disappointed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Man there are some...interesting prices for LotR LCG packs. Just saw a copy of Watcher in the Water for the princely sum of £999.11 :stare:

Don't ever look on Amazon. Look on Boardgameguru and buy entire cycles twice a year instead of packs monthly. If you do this you'll end up getting free shipping, near as drat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Are we talking the old old ones or is the new Doomtown dead already? Did it even take off?

Yeah, Doomtown Reloaded has been brought to an end. That game has no luck.

Someone on the Facebook group has made a list of six decks you can build simultaneously from two cores and a full set of saddlebags, if that's of use.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fritzler posted:

If I like Rohan decks in LOTR LCG, should I play unicorn? Or something else?

You're comparing cooperative and competitive games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

This year's Shadowfist LCG release, A Better Tomorrow, went live yesterday. Anyone who wants to get in, there's no better time: they're doing a fire sale on the old product including the base game, so you can make a no reward pledge and get Combat in Kowloon and Back For Seconds for $30.

Come to the Shadow Side. We have cyborg koala bears.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

Maybe I've just been spoiled by FFG but the art and the layout of those cards puts me off completely.

Art-wise there are probably better choices, but Iron Kingdom are on a tight budget so yeah, you've been spoilt. And the layout is legacy from the original CCG which goes back to 1996. It is a very good multiplayer game, though - I did an LP a couple of years ago if you have Archives.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking ab

out

That's a piece of art from 1996, in the days when Doug Shuler could get work on CCGs. I really don't know what they're thinking with the choice of art to show off - most of it is mediocre, to be frank, but this is stuff that doesn't look great on a card and worse when it's blown up. They could be using stuff like this:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

The card layout honestly bothers me more. Art is one thing, readability in-game is another

What are you having the problem with? Just the font size on the cards?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

The Turn :: Turn thing is just bad formatting for a card game language.

I think you're just looking to pick nits with that example, it should be perfectly clear. You turn The Doctor to use its ability; the ability turns all damaged characters and heals them. The double-colon is the chosen convention to separate costs from effects and has nothing to do with grammar at all.

Addressing a few things someone else brought up:

quote:

• Borderless, bold, sans-serif white text on the title - readable at this resolution but definitely going to be hard to read at any greater distance.
  • If "formidable," "ice," and "healer" are traits of some kind, why isn't "unique" also a trait that is formatted the same way?
  • You mentioned, but I want to reiterate: If "unique" really needs to be separate from the traits, it also definitely needs to be separate from the other ability - as written, it makes it look like the Turn ability is what's "unique," rather than the card itself. Put a line break in there.
  • The symbols at the bottom don't seem particularly easy to parse at a distance, but that might not matter too much depending on what they mean.
  • Text box is too small - how are you ever going to fit complicated, interesting abilities in there? It hardly seems possible to have a card do two different things in this game.

Card titles can easily be read at arm's length, and I don't have short arms.

I agree that Unique would be better as a trait from a layout point of view, but there's a gameplay reason why it isn't. There's a lot of cards that affect cards with a specific trait name. So you can play a card that hits all the Formidable characters in play, all the Ice characters and so on. If Unique was a trait, you could use those cards on all the Unique characters in play - which is at least a third of the characters in the game. Those cards would either be disproportionately powerful or would have to be costed into uselessness, thus destroying the whole point of the trait system.

Unique is placed where it is because for the reason given above, it's a keyword. For consistency all keywords are put in bold below the traits. A line break would be useful, I agree, but then you're also criticising the size of the text box. Pick one.

The symbols at the bottom don't matter much. The ones on the left are the resources and Power used to play the card. The ones on the right are the resources it generates. So The Doctor requires 1 Monarchs influence to play and costs 2 Power, and it generates 1 Monarchs influence and 1 Magic.

You can fit two non-keyword abilities on a character at a push, and there's enough room for four lines of rules text so complex abilities are possible. The text box is smaller on characters than on other cards, though, as characters are in the main meant to be disposable.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 15, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

The problem with space-colon-colon-space as opposed to simply colon-space is that the former is unfamiliar whereas the latter is standard English, and unfamiliar things are harder to parse. And the problem with the two "Turn"s is that before the colons, "Turn" is used as shorthand for "turn this card" and after the colons it means just the ordinary transitive verb "turn" with a direct object after it. Yes, you can figure out from context what they mean,. but using a word to mean two different things one right after the other is unnecessarily cognitively taxing.

It means the same thing, except one is a cost and the other is an effect. An Edge that said "Whenever a character is turned, deal 1 damage to it" would deal 1 damage to the Doctor and 1 damage to every damaged character that wasn't already turned when it resolves.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

I guess it's the exact same gameplay as from 1995 too?

Yes, but that really isn't a problem because whatever its other faults Shadowfist absolutely nailed the gameplay.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's a surprise, I'd heard they were ending the game with The Sands of Harad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

agscala posted:

I know this is the "Living Card Game" thread, but are there any card games with a similar model coming out by companies other than FFG?

Shadowfist gets an annual kickstarter. Doomtown just went back to Pinnacle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

Lovecraft was super racist but there's three black investigators so far and that matches one of them. Plus being magical is something most characters have. So FFG aren't exactly screwing the pooch here.

I'd be more concerned that there are three black investigators and two of them are jazz musicians while the third is literally an African witch doctor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

Two of the three have a book skill over 2. It goes 2 - 3 - 4. It's a made up criticism.

Totally on board with the idea that they should move away from stereotypes, though part of me thinks that they thought some of the roles were a no go area (a black drifter, for example). There's no excuse for the shaman.

Mostly because she's a bit crap, though. And I think Akachi first appeared in the same set as the sole Chinese investigator, who is of course the Martial Artist.

The main question is why they didn't use ethnic characters for traditional working roles. There's no reason why Zoey the Chef couldn't be black, for example.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Wait how is Minh a martial artist? She's a Seeker and her tag line is "The Secretary". Also she's Vietnamese IIRC.

I'm not talking about Minh. I'm talking about the kung fu chick who can focus Sanity and Stamina.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I mean, it's not "women get +1 WIS, men get +1 STR", but it's close.

Heh - you just reminded me that in the roguelike game Ancient Domains of Mystery, men get +1 Strength and women get +1 Dexterity. This means men deal more damage in combat with every weapon... except whips, where women get the same edge.

(It's actually a fair balance otherwise; the Strength lets men carry slightly more without incurring to-hit penalties, but the Dexterity makes women more likely to hit in the first place so unless you plan to be burdened women are more effective overall.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Maybe an Amelia Earhart pastiche? Gertrude Ederle would probably be a bit out there but you could recast her as some other kind of Olympian.

You could certainly have some kind of bootlegger, or do a speakeasy owner and base her on Patricia Arquette's character from Boardwalk Empire.

On the subject of Patricias, the Spy is a woman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I actually played Magic when it first came out and we used ante for a brief period during Revised but quickly abandoned it because of the inherent unevenness of it and we were kids that could barely afford a booster pack. I remember opening a revised pack, and then immediately selling the rare (Demonic Tutor) back to the store for enough money to buy another pack just so I could get more cards.

It's pretty amazing in hindsight how long that mechanic actually lasted.

Demonic Tutor was uncommon, not rare, so you made a good deal on that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Boco_T posted:

The Steam version of the Lord of the Rings LCG comes out on August 28 and they are releasing a special card game box set that is a bunch of Core Set physical cards combined with the Founder Pack digital stuff:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/509580/announcements/detail/1674658681936786191

It's $100 before shipping and exclusive to pre-order from the website. Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying: Off gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Boco_T posted:

Seems pretty cool, I guess Terrinoth is a FFG-owned IP setting?

Terrinoth is the setting for Descent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I just got my Doomtown Reloaded: There Comes A Reckoning order, and found that I'd bought spare copies of Bad Medicine and The Curtain Rises but forgotten to buy Dirty Deeds. Any UK Harrowed Dudes looking to trade?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I think it's more that FFG was basically the only person making them and there's individual threads for all their games but GoT. I know there's threads for Arkham, L5R, and Keyforge (not really LCG but still).

Shadowfist and Doomtown are both still on the go, they just changed publishers again. Doomtown has returned to Pinnacle and had one big and one small release; Shadowfist's new publisher hasn't put anything new out yet, but was building visibility at Spiel 2018.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Doomtown is an objectively poo poo game though.

Your post is an objectively poo poo opinion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shadowfist: Combat in Kowloon is the best LCG core set because it has everything you need in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Beta Ray Bill isn't Thor but he is an alien who looks like a horse and can wield Mjolnir.

One time when the multiverse got smashed together all of the various Thors formed a kind of multiversal police force and it was awesome.

Weren't they all working for Doom and literal Nazis?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fritzler posted:

Thor seems cool to me but I have no idea why his nemesis is Loki. Everyone else's nemesis seems to be a lesser known villain so their main villain can be a scenario pack. Loki would be a great scenario pack or hero pack.

Alright, who would you have as Thor's nemesis if not Loki? The Enchantress is Loki with tits, when she's not just trying to cop off with Thor. Hela is a major scenario threat, not a constant foe. Surtur likewise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Rip Lord of the Rings on PC. And any hopes of getting a digital Arkham Horror.

I believe LOTR PC was already Asmodee Digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Doomtown is kind of fun, and still kinda sorta in production.

It's properly in production, just at a much slower pace.

Also Shadowfist is gearing up for the next release.