Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

AEG had a page up earlier today announcing Doomtown:Reloaded, which was quickly restricted. Nothing that said exacatly what it was, but lots of speculation that they're releasing Doomtown as a LCG-like format. I'm pretty excited for that, if true.

Page 36 of the GAMA pamplet has more infi.
http://gamatradeshow.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=t4b1tH6RF-k%3d&tabid=2644

Does say "Everything you need to play in one box". Perhaps a release like the Burning Sands reskin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012

PrinnySquadron posted:

Can't find anything on the net about it being delayed. Emperor was pretty messed up though, yeah.

There was a post on Feb 7 about slight shipping delays,which is when they announced the March release dates. My FLGS told me late Feb for Ivory release originally as well.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Fetterkey posted:

I haven't seen the rules insert yet - I'm sorta hoping that you can put any card into Deep Strike, even if it can't actually be played from there. I doubt this is actually the case but it could lead to some pretty sweet bluffs, especially if you have cards in your deck that are useless anyway (cards that are only there for shields vs. Aun'shi, for instance).

Rules insert says "deploy a card with the Deep Strike Keyword to a planet facedown for 1 resource". So no bluffing with non-DS cards.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

EdsTeioh posted:

How in the bloody hell do you "discover" treasure cards? Do they go in the encounter deck? Can you use them in the first quest in Over Hill and Under Hill?

Usually by quest card text. They're player backed cards, so they won't go in the encounter deck.

For example, the first quest in OHUH has this "when condition is met, the players discover [treasure]". I'm being general since I know some players like to go in unspoiled.

After that, you can put them in your deck per the treasure rules.

jadarx fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 30, 2016

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Huh, so this is POD? Has FFG done stuff like that before?

Yeah. All of the LotR Nightmare decks are POD.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

My copy of Carnivale came in the mail for Arkham Horror! It requires three experience per player to play, god drat. That's like half a scenario. I still don't know where to place it in the campaign or if my friend and I should just do it as a standalone story.

FFG sent me two of the Rougarou pack instead of the Carnivale one. :arghfist: :cthulhu: So unless FFG wants me to sent it back to fix my order, I'l have an extra one for someone who wants cheap shipping.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
A thing that leapt out at me from the article is that influence is only for the conflict deck. So I wonder how they are going to handle playing out of faction cards in the dynasty side. It would be weird if you couldn't do it at all.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Lump Shaker posted:

I got in the FFG L5R tournament but am curious, is the official tournament the only way to actually get a copy of the game? Or can you buy it from the FFG booth? I thought I read that it doesn't come out until after Gencon.

I believe L5R is FFG's Living Card Game release for this gencon. As for actually getting it, good luck. The big releases usually sell out immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Static Equilibrium posted:

I feel like there's an overarching similarity of gameplay between the mechanics of AGOT/MtG/L5R/Hearthstone/Conquest/Eternal/&c that isn't really present in ANR (and, for that matter, some other card games like Yomi, DTR to some extent, RFTG, and the various deckbuilding games out there) that "dude-basher" captures nicely; I didn't really mean it to be pejorative (I think these games are fun and interesting, certainly), I just think those games form a pretty cohesive category and it makes sense to group and contrast them against each other.

In terms of the feeling of fiddly-ness, I think it's a combination of (a) there being a bunch of different game zones and things you need to track (some of which have no physical way of doing so and must be remembered!), and (b) the different subsystems and resources never seem to gel together in a satisfying way (or at least they didn't for me after ~3-4 hours of play) like you see in good eurogames. I like the game quite a bit, but the mechanics have a Rube Goldberg machine feel that I can't quite shake. Of course, I didn't play the original CCG so maybe that's the point of reference I'm missing.

Having experience with the CCG definitely gives you an advantage to understanding the game areas (Home, Provinces). And it explains why some see the fiddly comment as a little weird. Because you should see how fiddly just buying a personality was in old L5R (Loyal, Unique, Honor Requirement, In Clan/Out of Clan, buying for Honor). :D

Edit: Actually Loyal and Unique were just deck building restrictions. Unless you were playing per Samurai edition, then Loyal affected playing the person too.

jadarx fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 29, 2017