Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Played a whole bunch of 2 player LOTR today. We managed to get through Journey Down the Anduin, Escape from Dol Goldur, and the Hunt for Gollum quests (we had completed the tutorial mission previously before losing six straight games of Journey Down the Anduin). It got especially close in Hunt for Gollum, as even one more turn would have cost me my last hero, and there were no other clue cards in play besides mine. Eyown and Frodo both died the turn before (Couldn't use Frodo's ability as I was at 47 threat, and I couldn't let Theodred get hit because he had the clue).

Quick question: If a guarded card comes into play and is followed by another guarded card, the guarded card breaks off and I play cards to guard both of them, correct? Having them both end up being guarded by Hunters from Mordor was terrifying, although fortunately the false lead treachery came up immediately after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Finally managed to get LoTR on the table. Lore/Leadership decks, we almost got ended by a double Necromancer's Reach on turn 1, but that gave us time to kill the spider and put a generous helping of tokens on the mission card. It was easy sailing from there, helped by pretty tame Shadow cards.

My friend went "this is easy". Then we moved onto the second mission.

Welp.

If you aren't already using them, I'd suggest you go with Dunhere and Eyown in that quest for whoever is using Spirit. Second phase needs a lot of questing and there's only optional engagements so they're pretty awesome (Also gently caress Goblin Snipers). Also try to get Northern Trackers out ASAP.

If you're having trouble with the hill troll though, use heroes that have low threat on them and focus on getting an ally army or a forest snare + blocker into play before taking him on.

I like to go Leadership/Spirit with Eyown, Dunhere and Theodred, and focus on getting a questing army out. Having the other deck be Tactics/Lore means they have some resource issues so I give a resource to the other guy whenever possible with Theodred. Usually ends up going on Thalin.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 14, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yes, Gandalf and a few good cards from each sphere (most notably Unexpected Courage) don't come with 3 copies, so you'd need to get 3 core sets if you wanted to have 3 copies of every good card. Although, since you're playing against scenario decks and not other people's decks it's not as important to have the best possible deck.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I managed to get through The Hunt for Gollum and Conflict at the Carrock adventure packs with a friend recently; I feel like location spam is really difficult to deal with, while enemies are rarely a threat. We lost The Hunt for Gollum maybe 5 times because we didn't draw a Northern Tracker to deal with the 8+ locations that would keep ending up in the staging area, and once you fall behind it's nearly impossible to catch up. We only have the core set + 1st 2nd and 4th Mirkwood cycle packs (The store didn't have the third one :downs:) right now, and I'm not seeing a lot of ways to deal with large numbers of locations beyond NT + card draw to find him, any suggestions?

On the other hand, we cruised through Conflict at the Carrock, though that was probably because we found Grimbeorn and the location that counts any resource as leadership as the first two cards pulled out of the deck. Might revisit it to see how it is without that kind of insane luck.

Edit: Last 3 Mirkwood packs just came in.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 18, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

With your amount of cards Lorien Guide and Legolas are probably your only other options for dealing with locations. There's a Rohan ally that lets you discard it to put progress tokens on a location, but I don't remember which card that is or where it comes from. Glorfindel with Asfaloth is great for dealing with locations, that card is in one of the Dwarrowdelf APs, probably the one with Spirit Glorfindel(Foundations of Stone, I think.)

Just looked through the cards again and The Riddermark's Finest along with Ride to Ruin seem to be exactly what I was looking for. I think my friend might not have had them in the deck at all. Thanks for the help.

We had both Lorien Guide and Legolas out but the problem had more to do with us having the unfortunate luck of getting 2 locations every turn than us not sending enough willpower.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 18, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nope, any excess quest progress is completely wasted.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Played through the last four adventure packs of the Mirkwood cycle today, I stuck to a Lore/Leadership deck while my friend went with Tactics/Spirit, thoughts:

A Journey to Rhosgobel: This adventure is hard when you forget to put applicable healing in. Self Preservation and the Daughter of the Nimrodel do nothing for Wilyador! Took a very long time for each of our two attempts, even though it's the adventure with a time limit. It wasn't too challenging when I put some proper healing in and my friend actually managed to draw Radaghast.

Hills of Emyn Muil: This adventure destroyed us the first time because we did not get a Northern Tracker. We destroyed this adventure the 2nd time because we got a Northern Tracker. Location adventuring by itself really isn't very interesting.

The Dead Marshes: Good adventure overall but the extra stuff to keep track of overwhelmed us and we may have cheated a bit as a result. We managed to pull through it on the second try, and Eleanor proved extremely useful in this adventure.

Return to Mirkwood: An excellent adventure that came to a climactic finish, as we had to fight off a Hill Troll and TWO Attercop, Attercops at the same time. One more turn, one less ally, one more enemy, one more threat gain, any of these would have resulted in our loss at some point in the game. It pushed us to our very limits as we repeatedly had to juggle Gollum to each other to avoid death by threat or spider. Beat it on the 2nd try as we decided to prematurely end the first one when we drew Attercop, Attercop in the setup (holy poo poo, gently caress that spider, dealing with two of them at once was a goddam nightmare).

I think I'll revisit some of the quests with different decks before I get the Khazad-Dum expansion.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 28, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Real talk about the LotR LCG:

I've been interested in the game for a long time, and so I've finally pulled the trigger on the Core Set. Played a solo game or two to get the hang of the rules. I think I got it, cool. The game so far is everything I've expected and more. Tense and engaging, and high thematic.

My girlfriend is willing to at least give a new game I buy a try so I invite her to play. She plays the starter tactics deck and I play the starter lore deck and we play the introductory Mirkwood quest. Through what I expect is bad shuffling, most of the encounter cards we draw were location cards. And with the Ungoliant's Spawn coming out early we couldn't quest enough to tread any water and we lose by threat. We didn't even get through the first part of the quest. The loss was so devastating I think it turned her off of the game entirely. Anyone have any deckbuilding tips with just the core set that are effective enough so that I can try a second chance with her?

I'm not about to quit it anytime soon, so I'm starting to plan my buying path for the expansions and APs. What's a good thing to buy first? To expand on this, is a second core set necessary? I'm a collector at heart and I'll feel empty if I don't have every option available for deckbuilding.

The big thing is that the core set's cards are absolutely not good enough to play with only one sphere per deck, especially if one of those is tactics. You absolutely got screwed over by card draw, especially since you're playing with the 2 spheres that have literally no way to target locations in the staging area. Spirit's Northern Tracker is essential when that happens, though Leadership's Snowbourn Scout does have some minor ability to do the same. Also make sure you have all four Gandalfs (two each) in your decks because he is great.

Honestly though you started with the two weakest spheres in the core set. Leadership's Steward of Gondor and Spirit's Northern Tracker/Unexpected Courage (only one copy of that, sadly) break the game with how good they are compared to other core set cards, while Lore and especially Tactics don't really have anything that good.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Some general tips for Journey Down the Anduin, depending on what specifically your obstacles with it are:

Goblin Sniper: have someone use Dunhere, so he can kill them directly in the staging area.
Eastern Crows Surging: have someone use Thalin and put him on quest duty, his killing of the crows happens before Surge activates.
Hill Troll: get Forest Snare or chump blockers depending on how much threat gain you can take. If the starting Hill Troll is giving you trouble your starting threat is probably too high and needs to be lowered so you have time to build up to facing him.
Too much threat in the staging area to quest: Get Faramir and a questing army going.
2nd Phase issues: Dunhere really shines here since there are only optional engagements.

You want mostly cheap cards in your deck with only a few expensive but powerful cards thrown in. Everyone wants as many Gandalfs as they can put into their deck. Two sphere decks are usually the best. Try to build your deck for the encounter rather than trying to have it do everything, this goes double for the hero cards. Don't overload on big heroes; it's usually best to have one really good generalized hero (ex. Aragorn, Gimli) and a couple supporting or specialized heroes with a lower starting threat (Theodred, Eyown).

Sorry I mostly gave Core set solutions to this, I don't know the cards in a lot of those expansions you got; there's a good chance there's better solutions in there.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 8, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

My friends and I tried the Redhorn Gate last night. We started rough, then were going pretty smooth until we hit Stage 3 of the quest. We hadn't cleared Caradhras beforehand so we were hit with the -1 to hope to all chars, and stage 3 kills any characters with 0 hope. We immediately gave up as this killed all 3 of one of my friends heroes and 2 of my other friends. Ouch.

We now know enough about the quest to plan for this stuff, but it got me wondering. How many of you read the quest/encounter cards of a new quest before you do the quest? We usually just go in blind, and I think I like it better this way, even though it can lead to situations like last night where we lose horribly.

I too just played the Redhorn gate, though my group was torn to shreds by wargs looking for one of the two last victory point cards, the freezing thing killed my friend's hero just before I drew a Celebrian's stone. Besides that, we did pretty well and just got horrible luck as the last required victory point cards showed up as shadow cards. Those Snow Wargs though are absolutely brutal; having two of them returned to the top of the encounter deck certainly didn't help either.

Also played: Massing at Osgiliath (couldn't beat it in six tries, gently caress the Wainrider Captain)
Into the Pit (pretty easy, breezed through it)
The Seventh Level (Had a little trouble with this one as we got a lot of Watchful Eyes on the same player).
Flight from Moria (Cheesed the hell out of this one as we got the gamble exit first, got through it with no losses and then it was just a matter of collecting 9 progress, could have beat it in one turn, will revisit).

roorximadinosaur posted:

Thanks for all the info, that helps a lot. Do you use two sphere decks in a four player game? Other players don't feel gimped on cards?

Gravy Train: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-deckbuilder
I've been using this to read about cards.

With all the packs you've collected, you might be able to make serviceable decks with each person. I haven't tried playing with four players though I can certainly say it'd make my decks weaker; some scenarios would feel outright impossible.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 9, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm all caught up on all the packs I've got, though my starter box doesn't seem like it can contain much more. My friend and I went through The Redhorn Gate, Road to Rivendell, and Watcher in the Water, as well as the Nightmare deck for Passage Through Mirkwood (the tutorial quest).

Redhorn Gate: Boring as hell, there were just too many cards in the deck considering you have to find the exact right card in order to finish, which could easily end up discarded as a shadow card, forcing you to cycle through the entire deck again. I made a deck specialized against this one using a Sword that was Broken and Faramir, which basically made the whole freezing thing irrelevant for me. My friend was not so lucky, and suffered greatly even with all the cards we used to buff his willpower.

Road to Rivendell: This one was pretty forgettable to be honest. Ambush was a slight annoyance at its worst, and outright beneficial on occasion.

Watcher in the Water: We actually cleared this one fairly quickly, though that doesn't mean it was easy. Two of my heroes were going to die if we didn't win when we did, though we managed to fulfill both victory conditions when we did so. He used a bunch of buff spells to one-shot the watcher while I used my Rumors from the Earth to cheat open the Doors of Durin.

Nightmare Passage Through Mirkwood: It was just as hard as advertised, though the base quest's inherent weakness to just rushing through it proved to be its downfall. Lost once before we just decided to blitz through the questing as fast as possible. Ungoliant's spawn was a very nasty card in a deck of nasty cards; it seemed to be an auto-lose if it ever showed up.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Recently played through the last of the Dwarrowdelf cycle and the Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill saga expansion, thoughts:

The Long Dark: Sped through this one too quickly to get a decent feel for it.

Foundations of Stone: Really cool gimmick and I hope they revisit the idea of splitting the players up in the future. The Nameless Things were also pretty neat.

Shadow and Flame: A decent boss fight ruined by the fact that I mis-read the setup instructions so we cheated super hard. Will re-visit in the future.

We Must Away Ere Break of Day: This one gave us some trouble as we just couldn't slow down our questing through the first phase enough to take time to build up in the first couple games. Eventually we got it right and pretty casually took them down after that.

Over the Misty Mountains Grim: Another quest that messed with the usual encounter deck setup, though this one disappointed me a bit. The first half felt very much like Journey Down the Anduin with the Stone-Giants, but the switch between decks was a huge let down when it was so trivial to reduce the number of encounter cards coming out from six to two. Pretty easy quest overall, especially with the treasure cards.

Dungeons Deep and Caverns Dim: I actually liked the riddle mechanic a lot (though this may be my bias as I got the first four riddles right on the first turn). It's a shame that the one treachery that took away progress on the riddles came up when we were one short, because it stalled the game just long enough for us to be overwhelmed when we started the third phase. There were about 14 enemies on the table when we threw in the towel.

Also my friend recently started buying expansions for this as well. He went a little far ahead and got the newest cycle and saga expansions. I generally wanted to go through them in release order but I don't want to be a dick and avoid playing his stuff, so we'll end up doing the Black Riders saga before continuing on to Heirs of Numenor.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 6, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Me and my friend are progressing through the LOTR LCG mostly in the order they came out and I have a question: is there supposed to be a massive difficulty spike at Heirs of Numenor? We'd been doing well up to this point with half-assed decks but now we can barely get passed the first couple rounds without a perfect starting hand. It seems like these quests are extremely front-loaded. So much so, that even when we get by the starting enemies the damage they've done has caused us to play the rest of the game on a knife's edge.

Also we got to use the new Gandalf and he is exactly as amazing as you'd expect. Playing the top of the deck saved us a few times but mostly just acted as a ridiculous amount of free card draw. I was also extremely impressed by Gandalf's staff, having a free hasty stroke every turn is pretty good it turns out, and if you don't need it for that then a free resource or card is good too.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Their news page on it only said "4th quarter of 2014", and their store page says "available soon".

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My friend got a core set for Conquest and we tried it out tonight. We did enjoy it but the lack of customization in single core set play is just awful. All you can really do is pick a main faction and a secondary faction then split the neutral cards evenly. I'll be getting a second core set to help alleviate that but it was still pretty upsetting. The actual game took several attempts to get used to though it was enjoyable once we were more comfortable with it.

It felt like the balance of the game depended heavily on luck of the draw due to the lack of multi-copy cards, another flaw of single core set play.

I'm really hoping each pack comes with an additional planet or two as I'm not feeling great about the variety in the core set.

Overall I don't think I'll really get a good feeling for this game until the 2nd core set gets here but it seems promising.

Also why aren't the Orks and Chaos switched on the alignment wheel!? I know that with the mechanics of the game orks are a much more natural fit as IG allies but I really like the idea of a traitor guardsmen deck.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 7, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Is there some reason the Tau Warlord can't use his ability to play attachments on himself?

e: nevermind, there's like 1 Tau attachment that can be played on non-army units and it's free anyway. I'm sure if Tau got access to more warlord equippable attachments he would become significantly better.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 8, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Most of the attachments say "attach to an army unit"; your warlord is a "warlord unit" and as such is unable to be equipped with many of the attachments currently in the game. It's a pretty easy mistake to make.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 8, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If you go in order you shouldn't have too many problems playing normal mode outside of the third core set quest. Once you get to Heirs of Numenor or any of the saga expansions you may want to go to easy mode if you start having trouble. The earlier quests may be easy if you know what you're doing with a large card pool, but I'd at least attempt some of them before looking to move on or get a nightmare deck.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Descendants of Isha with a dark eldar warlord preview. First one with a starting 8 cards. Ichor Gauntlet sure is something :stare:

I think you mean the second with a starting 8 cards, Cortez (Astra Militarum) gets 8 cards and 8 resources. It's really cool though how the last pack is gonna give us two warlords.

That DE torture deck is going to be incredible, and also enable some really stupid/hilarious moves thanks to the cost reduction. The dream opening hand where I can play that Ichor Gauntlet then 4 copies of that Experimentations card, forcing my opponent to either discard most of his hand or bloody his warlord on turn 1, would just be amazing. e: didn't read Ichor Gauntlet correctly, nevermind.

That Inquisitor seems pretty strong too. I wish the Space Marine card didn't have all of its important info strategically blocked to give us pretty much no idea of what it does.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 6, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If you want to do more than the absolute minimum of deckbuilding for Warhammer you're going to need 2+ core sets. With 1 core set if you want to play with full 50 card decks you each pick 1 main faction, which then limits you to picking 1 of 2 allied factions and then splitting all the neutral cards for an exact 50.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm actually really excited about that new ork support, it's a fantastic effect even before you take brutal into account. Being able to effectively share hit point pools is going to be huge. It may cause some people to misplay into stuff like Klaivex Warleader, though it's important to note that because the support effect turns the attack into indirect damage, the Fury of Sicarius won't be usable against it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

S.J. posted:

I'm still waiting to see a reason why I would use Zogwart at all. I really don't like the look of him.

If we had more effects to sacrifice units for stuff Zogwart could get pretty good. Considering that Orks ally with Chaos and Imperial Guard, that kind of effect shouldn't be scarce for too long.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GlisteningDragon posted:

That was my worry when I saw that they had all the factions playable. What factions are the top right now, the weakest? Are the poster children (Space Marines) the top?

Space Marine decks have been the best so far, but Dark Eldar decks are right there with them and in greater number. We have yet to see the effects that the 2 packs have had on the game, but looking at the cards it seems like Space Marines have received the least benefits so far.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

MisterShine posted:

Is there any ETA on Nids/Necrons? They were the two factions I was most interested in coming from 40k tabletop and I was pretty bummed they weren't in yet

I would assume that one or both of them will be in the first big expansion at the start of the next cycle. It should be about another 4-5 months before the end of this cycle then another 2-4 months before the start of the next cycle. There will be an announcement telling us what the first expansion is about well before the actual release.

GrandpaPants posted:

Is it bad that I don't use Rogue Trader/Void Pirates :(

Playing Tau means that I usually have a ton of resources between Shadowsun's ability and stuff like Carnivore Packs, whatever their mobile dude was called and Earth Caste Technician. Cards I wouldn't mind more of, but eh.

Playing Orks means that those cards will likely get friendly fire'd from things like Weirdboy Maniak and Dakka Dakka Dakka or even Ork Kannon.

That being said I don't have much of a meta except like 1-2 of my friends, so maybe that is what I'm missing.

Neither are really mandatory but there are basically 0 competitive decks that don't use 3x Void Pirate. Rogue Trader isn't nearly as vital because cards > resources, but he's definitely worth consideration.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

The wolf would only work once per battle so it the combat drags into later rounds I don't think you could use it again like you could a unit with a Rokkit Launcha. I'm not extremely up on the Conquest rules so I don't know the exact timing window on it.

They're not really comparable though because they aren't in the same faction. Tau would use it, Space Marines might use it, IG could use it alongside Rokkit Launcha if they really wanted to.

Nope, you can only take stuff from one allied faction, not both. It does have an advantage over ranged in that your character will always go first even if you lack initiative whereas ranged characters could get beaten by other ranged + initiative.

Ranged also only comes into play once per fight so I'm not sure how Fenris wolf is at a disadvantage because it works the same way.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 11, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

A card that from the new Warhammer pack that I really don't get: the Bladed Lotus Rifle (Cost 1 attachment: Wargear. Weapon. Attach to an army unit, attached unit gets +1 attack. If attached unit is a Kabalite, it gains Ranged). On anything that isn't a Kabalite, this card is garbage. On a Kabalite its a rokkit launcha with +1 attack. The problem is that there's only 2 Kabalites in the game right now; one of them has ranged and the other has Area Effect meaning that no matter what this card has wasted stats. Obviously they can and will release more Kabalites but right now this is just a terrible card. I'd like to know why they didn't release one of the Kabalites they're planning on releasing in future packs in this one and put the Bladed Lotus Rifle in a later pack.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 12, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Because Dark Eldar got the Klaivex Warleader so they needed to balance it out with some chaff.

Also not 100% wasted stats on the Area Effect Kabbalite. It gives it an attack 2 if there's a single unit, a ranged unit that can snipe out 2 damage is pretty solid. AOE1 against Orks may also be a Bad Move™ in some circumstances.

If I'm using 3 resources and 2 cards to get a copy of my other Kabalite that costs 1, something has gone terribly wrong and it probably started when I put Bladed Lotus Rifle into my deck.

e: It'd actually be 3 attack + ranged but that's still not good enough to justify the deck slots. I'm not saying it's a bad combo. It's just that even in the best case scenario, which is pretty rare due to the lack of viable targets, it's still pretty underwhelming. Bladed Lotus Rifle would be great if we just had a couple vanilla Kabalites to attach it to. It just seems weird to release it now when there's no optimal targets for it. Then again we also got Kauyon Strike this pack so the DE aren't the only ones getting combo pieces for combos that don't exist yet.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 13, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Speaking of Death From Above, I'm going through the previews for the next few warhammer packs and I have a question about Vectored Vyper Squad and Death From Above. Vectored Vyper Squad reads "This unit gains Mobile while it is undamaged", is it considered undamaged while in your hand thus allowing it to work with Death From Above?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Lorini posted:

What exactly are Nightmare decks for Lord of the Rings? Are these pre-done deck built packs that can be played out of the box? Hope so because I hate deck building.

They're hard mode versions of quests that need the normal version to play and do not come with any player cards.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gift of the Ethereals released today, copy/pasted spoilers from some guy on cardgamedb. Pardon the poor wording. C = cost S = shield

-SM: Know no fear 1C, 1S deploy action. Exhaust warlord. move 3 sm units from HQ to different planets
Crushing blow 0C, 1S reaction. after a sm unit damages a unit, deal 1 unpreventable damage to that unit

-AM: Mystic Warden. Army.0C 2Att 2Def. Forced reaction After battle ends sacrifice it
To Arms! 0C 2S. Action ready target support. Loyal
Honorifica Imperialis. Attachment. 2C 2S. Attach to an army unit, when at a planet with enemy warlord this unit gains armorbane and ranged. Loyal

-Orks: Mekaniak. Army 3C 2Att 3Def. Action: exhaust to ready ork support, then deal 1 damage to Mekaniak. Loyal 1Command
Goff big choppa. Attach 2C 1S. Attach to an army unit. Attached unit receives +2Att and armorbane
Ammo depot. Support. 1C. Action: exhaust this support to draw 1 Card if you have 3 or fewer cards

-Chaos: Rotten Plaguebearers. Army 2C 0Att 2Def. Action: exhaust to deal 1 damage to target unit. 1Command
Nurgling Bomb. 3C 1S. Combat Action: target a planet. For each non-nurgle unit its controller must deal it 1 damage or rout it
Throne of Vainglory. Support 3C. Action: exhaust this support to discard the top card of deck. If the discarded card's cost is 3+ put 2 cultists at HQ. Loyal

-DE: Sslyth mercenary. Army. 1C 2 Att 2 Def. Action: pay 2 resources to take control of this unit. any player may use this. 2Command
Despise. 0C 1S. Combat action: each player must sacrifice an Ally unit

-Eldars: Warlock Destructor. Army. 2C 3Att 4 Def. Forced reaction: after the deploy phase begins pay 1 resource or discard it. 1Command
Eldritch corsair. Army. 3C 2Att 3Def. +2Att while a warlord is present. 1Command
Foretell. 0C 1S. Interrupt: when a battle ability triggers, exhaust your warlord to cancel it, then draw 1 card

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 29, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Zombie #246 posted:

How do I deal with the drat hill trolls in the second quest in the main LoTR set.

Figuring out how to get passed those assholes is practically a rite of passage for this game.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Traxis Chronicles has some spoilers out for Zogwort's Curse, specifically the AM and Tau cards: http://traxischronicles.appspot.com/#!warhammer-conquest-news:2015-01-31-zogwort-s-curse-preview

I like all of those AM cards, they all appear to have a place in the game, though none of them stand out as real game changers. Tau gets some interesting stuff with their first real beefy unit in the Broadside, and an attachment that can actually be used by Shadowsun's ability! :toot:. Triggering a battle ability is also pretty interesting, and seems pretty powerful at its current cost.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 6, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Heavy Marker Drone instantly replaces Repulsor Field for me. I'd much rather do double damage against something that needs to die NOW than maybe do 2 points of damage whenever someone attacks my Fire Elite (because what else are you gonna put it on?). Broadside with Gun Drones is gonna be harsh, but 6cc units are going to be a hard sell regardless. I'm not sure whether I'd go with this or the Crisis. Tense Negotiations is bonkers on the planet that lets you deal 1 damage to enemy units at an adjacent planet or fully heals a unit or routs a unit or...basically, a really versatile card.

Steel Legion Chimera is a solid mid-cost unit. It'll likely take at least one hit, and it'll protect your other dudes at the same time. Staging Ground giving Ambush to 2cc or fewer units is pretty baller, too. And the fact you get to poo poo them out for free helps as well. Just a really solid card that's weirdly not Loyal, since it seems to be pretty goddamn good.

For some reason I read Staging Ground as a deploy action, so nevermind what I said about it not being a gamechanger, that thing is bonkers. IG/Ork rush decks incoming.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

S.J. posted:

You still have to play the Deploy Cost for the cards though, right?

That'd make more sense, so it's going right back down to a good situational card for me if that's the case.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They're pretty heavily telegraphed though. If they have 4 resources going into combat, make sure your big dudes don't have damage placed on them (if you can).

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

First Planet Podcast got spoilers for the Dark Eldar of Zogwort's Curse: http://firstplanet.podbean.com/

Dark Eldar:

- Cost 3 Event, Searing Brand, Shield 2, Tactic, Torture, Combat Action: Deal 3 unpreventable damage to a target non-Warlord unit at a planet with your Warlord. Your opponent may choose and discard 2 cards from his hand to cancel this effect.

- Cost 1 Support, Crucible of Maledictions, Reaction: After you play a Torture Event card, exhaust this Support to look at the top 3 cards of a deck, discard one of those cards and place the remaining cards on top of that deck in any order.

Look at all that torture love, DE is gonna be insane when they get their new warlord.

- Cost 2 Army, Bloodied Reavers, Command 1, 2/2, Vechicle, No Wargear, This unit gains +2 ATK while at a planet with a Warlord.

While DE do basically get the Tau Bork'an Recruits, it's nice to see them differentiated by making this card a vehicle.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Man, what's with all the DE love? Has DE even gotten a bad card yet in these packs?

Well, there's both of their cards from the Gift of the Ethereals pack. The Scourge had a couple bad ones but Klaivex Warleader more than makes up for that.

Of course they got better anyway, since Eldar had no loyal cards in this pack and the only loyal Chaos card is a competitor for worst card in the game.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 9, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If it didn't include itself it would say "every other character" instead so yes it does effect itself.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure the guy who was working on that mobile deck will be super happy to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Flavor-wise, what's with the neutral Inquisitor? Isn't that a SM/IG thing?

Inquisitors answer to basically nobody and some are willing to work with the enemies of the Imperium in the hopes that it will aid whatever agenda they have in the system. This usually does not end well for the inquisitor, but so many of them seem to think they'll be the ones to pull it off.