Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Feeple posted:

I'm interested as well. I have out here two dudes that buy it, love it, and basically play between themselves because no one else does. Once drafting was announced, interest shot up, because it was a card pool equalizer. Mr. Playset over there had his experience to back him, but drafting can mitigate the "Gotcha!" factor. I have a Greyjoy deck I built literally out of the house box (Kings of the Sea,) and I think it can do OK against any other house that has 2x Core to work with. I might take it the Meta Games' regional in Springfield, MO, just for a laugh. Some kind of catch-up set or "right, Cycles X, Y, and Z are legal" would be a boon for a newer player to come in and enjoy the tournament scene.

At my FLGS, we have 3 players who have virtually the whole card pool (one of the players basically missed a pack because there were literaly no cards in that pack that he cared about - period!). We allow proxies, and before a major tournament, other players would be allowed to borrow a couple of cards from them to finish off their decks. It makes it much easier to get into the game for newbies, and we've had quite a lot of success in reviving a meta that had basically died (it was down to 3 people at one point, but is now growing back up towards 15ish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

omnibobb posted:

So you'll need 3 core sets for a full play set.

Buying multiples here will also create a lot more waste than Netrunner.

Hrmm.

I think you'd get a lot less waste - there are 222 cards in the box, but around 178 unique cards... so you're probably talking about 120 or so 1x cards in each core set - a much better deal than Netrunner where you're buyin the core set for the 10 cards that came 1x.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

If I could by a "completion pack" for any LCG core with just the cards I need to get everything in triplicate, I'd buy it in a heartbeat even if it cost like 75-85% of the core set price. It's not so much about the money than the fact that I just feel really really lovely buying Yet Another Core Set with a useless huge cardboard box and a bunch of cards that I have literally no use for.

AGOT 1st Ed was a great buy because it was basically 190 singletons. I'm willing to bet 2nd ed will be more of the same.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Fetterkey posted:

Conquest is second fiddle to Netrunner in my area but still has a fair few players, and Tyranids look to potentially bring in a surge of newcomers.

Conquest is third fiddle in London, after AGOT and Netrunner

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Do we know if the 'duplicate' rule's gone? Because I really hope it is.

The dupe real is great. I doubt they'll get rid of it. It actually allows you to run multiples of uniques without the second draw being dead (as long as the character is still alive on the board)

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Baron Porkface posted:

LOTR: Are Bad Guys "characters"?
No

quote:

When text is "when an enemy engages a character" does that include voluntary engagements?
Yes

quote:

Edit: When does Galadriel Speak in the Two towers I.E. Idrean's flavor text?

She doesn't. Gandalf is passing along a message from her to Aragorn. (During their meeting in Fangorn)

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Karnegal posted:

Do we know if the GenCon tournament will follow traditional deck construction rules? In the intro rules book they tell you to make decks with a single box out of 2 factions cards ignoring loyalty rules. I'm not sure if you can even make a large 60 deck with the deck with a single core. It seems unlikely given that they have 250 cards or less and 8 factions + neutral cards. I suppose this also alters which faction combinations are best.

You get 31 Neutrals and 20 per factions. So unless we aren't making legal decks, I assume the deck construction rules will be suspended.

Word from some testers is you can build tourney-legal 60 card decks from any faction combination out of the core box.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Karnegal posted:

If that's true, its going to lead to some samey lovely decks.

20 faction cards were a given, but you'll need. It looks like factions are about 6-8 loyal cards. So if you take 12-14, you'll still need 26-28 neutrals out of 29. Plot cards are going to be about the only meaningful distinction between two similarly allied decks.

Plots make a huge difference to how the game plays. Some might say they're the most important part of the game :p

More importantly, there are also 56 possible faction combinations. I wouldn't write off the 1x core game just yet.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Azran posted:

Is there anywhere that explains how the faction mixing in AGOT works? I don't understand it.
You have a main faction, and you can then ally with any other faction. You can play any/all cards from that faction that aren't loyal (they'll have a special symbol if they are loyal) for no additional cost. You can also play any neutrals.

quote:

Also, is Warhammer Invasion an actual good game or is Conquest just overall better? I am too impacient and I can't wait for Necrons to be out :v: I also wish the Inquisition had been its own faction but oh well.
W:I was a good game, though it had broken poo poo. It's the most Magicky of all the LCGs. Conquest I'd love to get into, but it seems to snowball horrifically.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Just the tabletop version. Digital LCG is run by a seperate studio (fantasy flight interactive)

AGOT is also probably be put on ice.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Lol secondary market LotR LCG Chapter pack prices are insane, espeically for the packs they aren't planning on reprinting.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Splicer posted:

I picked up the co-op lotr card game revised set and I'm going to grab the mirkwood mini expansion followed by the the fellowship and two tower expansion repackages. Could I get some (minimally spoilery) advice on buy orders for the other expansions?

1) Any recommendations for what to get after or even before the book sets? No matter what I'm not buying anything from the 0XX product range because I need to keep a short leash on my completionist urges.

2) Anything from the 100 range I should deliberately skip?

3) About what proportion of the standalone starter deck cards are currently not available in the other rereleases? I'm only really going to be playing two player mostly so duplicates aren't really required, but if there's a fair amount of cards otherwise unavailable in the 1XX range then some unique feeling prebuilt decks might be a fun pickup later.

3.5) is there a full player card list database anywhere? Just card names are fine.

Thanks!

1. Depends what decks you want to build. Dark of Mirkwood scenarios aren't bad and are much easier than the other scenarios you could get so may be worth getting those.
2. No, pretty much all the reprint stuff is good. They only reprinted better cycles for LOTR LCG in the new format so far - MEC107 and 108 are essentially 38-44 packaged together, and 110-11 are 47-53. You could skip the starters if you're not interested in playing them though.
3. Quite a lot. https://visionofthepalantir.com/2022/03/11/first-impressions-starter-decks/ - almost all the starter deck conents are from cycles that aren't currently in the pipeline to be reprinted. Player speculation is that the factions were deliberately chosen so players could still play as factions that wouldn't get much support in the planned cardpool. If you want to play those types of decks - grab it.
3.5 hallofbeorn.com, or ringsdb.com - both include the full card pool. If you sign up for an account on ringsdb you can make acustom pool with just the stuff you own/plan to get.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Splicer posted:

Very much appreciated! Is there a list of what they do plan to reprint?

Nothing has been annouced officially yet. However, the obvious reprint is Flame of the West and Mountain of Fire as Return of the King (given they've already repritned the other 4 LOTR Sagas)
There's a rumour that the only other currently planned reprint is the Wilds of Rhovanion/Ered Mithrin cycle (Cycle 8) - the designer apparently went on a podcast a few days ago and confirmed that that's in the works.
And that's it.

They've previously reprinted
Black Riders and Road Darkens as Fellowship of the Ring
Treason of Saruman and Land of Shadow as Two Towers
The Lost Realm and the Angmar Awakened cycle (Cycle 5)
The Grey Havens and the Dreamchaser Cycle (Cycle 6)

The cycles they picked kind of make sense. These quests were well-designed and thematic with good player cards - they definitely got better at designing LOTR cards/scenarios as the game matured.
Cycle 1 (Mirkwood)'s quests are pretty unfun (and to be honest, I think the decision to reprint the core with the old core set scenarios was a mistake),
Cycle 2 (Dwarrowdwelf)'s atmosphere and theme were better, they still don't feel as polished as later cycles.
Cycle 3 (Against the Shadow) has some great quests but has some extremely unfun mechanics mixed in which they've sinced moved on from.
Cycle 4 (Ringmaker) Had some highs and some really really low quests. though it did create one of the most popular player card themes (Silvans)
Cycle 7 (Haradrim) I thought actually had some decent quests, but apparently it didn't sell well.
Cycle 9 (Vegneance of Mordor) is too hard to really be "fun".
The Hobbit Sagas were OK, but the scenario design wasn't as polished/atmospheric as the LotR sagas, and well, the hobbit movies aren't as good

I think there's a community hope that if the reprints sell well, FFG could be presuaded to release more ofthe cycles, or at least the player cards from the cycles, but I think everything that has been said so far seems to suggest that none is currently in the works. If I had to choose, I'd print Ringmaker and Against the Shadow next, but I don't work for FFG.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Splicer posted:

Do you mean the sagas were based on the movies over the books or do you mean you personally don't care about the hobbit sagas because you didn't enjoy the films or do you mean they might not reprint the hobbit because the movies didn't do well?

The sagas are based on the books, but their popularity was also driven by the popularity of other content from the same source material, and FFG are probably looking at sales figures of the original print run when deciding what to print