Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Richard Garfield did a AMA a couple of days ago and someone asked a question regarding Jyhad/VTES and he confirmed that FFG was working on a LCG version.

Then FFG quickly dashed my elation on BGG by saying that they did some work on it but ultimately decided not to publish it. :negative:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/20f1dn/we_are_richard_garfield_creator_of_magic_the/cg2nkdt?context=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Carteret posted:

reading that thread and the quickness of FFGs response, they may be repurposing the game and mechanics to fit a different theme so they don't have to worry about Licensing like they currently do with Netrunner and WOTC. I hear WoD is a nightmare to deal with.

You may remember the boardgame they released called Bloodbound. If they were going to do a VTES LCG then that's what the setting would be if they really are pulling a "we said we weren't releasing a VTES LCG, we never said we wouldn't release one BASED on it.:smug:"

GrandpaPants posted:

Nooooo :negative:

Seconding LordNat, more multiplayer LCGs would be great, especially if it was designed with MP in mind. Also like Netrunner, I had heard all about Jyhad/VTES but never played it myself, so I wanted to know what the hype was. I mean, it technically doesn't have to take place in the WoD right? They can just slap on some theme to it (Descent? Because why not), modernize the mechanics, and call it a day.

Sigh.

It really is an amazing multiplayer experience, but it REALLY could stand to be slimmed down. Over the years, White-Wolf added a lot of bloat to the game by continuously adding new Clans and Disciplines. It made for a very thematic and complex game but it was incredibly daunting for new players, and really hard to grok if they had no prior knowledge of the WoD setting.

I'd hate to be the developer tasked with boiling all of that down to something that keeps a semblance of the variety while also being a non-WoD vampire setting that has mass appeal. The early reaction to Bloodbound's aesthetic was pretty bad from what I saw and I wouldn't be surprised if it factored in their decision to axe an LCG version.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

GrandpaPants posted:

No tyranids, no sale. :colbert:

I joked with my buddy that tyranids will forever be classed as an expansion race.

Also, I think a tyranid alliance with other factions would make less sense than some of the ones they have now.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

kannonfodder posted:

I feel like most of 40k (including the main game) seem to forget that traitor legions exist.

Question for this thread, I've been interested in getting a LCG for a while now, something to play board game style with my friends, is the Game of Thrones one a good choice? And if so, what would be the recommended stuff to get for beginners?

For boardgame style, LotR is the best one. It is co-op only though, so if you want to actually compete with your friends it won't do. I can vouch that it's a great game though. The core set will get your feet wet and then you can add on the adventure packs one at a time. The only thing that sucks is that everyone will eventually want/need their own Core set and, possibly, adventure packs as well since there is a limited card pool to split among 3 or 4 players. For example, everyone is gonna want 3 Gandalfs in their deck and one core only comes with 4. The first couple of Adventures are doable, but the difficulty ramps up pretty quick.

Another downside is that the game suffers from limited replayability unless you steadily add more Adenture Packs.

I haven't actually played GoT so I can't speak for how it plays, but I think it's the only other LCG that supports more than 2 players out of the Core.

The Star Wars LCG is a great Duel game that can also be expanded to a multiplayer game with the Balance of the Force expansion. However, again, everyone will probably want their own core set for this as well.

Triple20 posted:

I have similar questions. I'm looking to play one with someone who doesn't play RPGs or MtG, but enjoys Fluxx, Munchkin, and Monopoly. Are the Fantasy Flight games mechanically comparable/transferrable to one another (co-op, optional "easy mode"--I skimmed the LOTR manuals)? Would you recommend picking whatever theme seems most interesting, then? If not, is there one LCG that is simpler than the others?

LotR is the only Co-op one. The rest are meant to be played competitively. As far as complexity goes, out of the ones I've played, I believe Netrunner is actually the simplest on the surface. Some areas of it can be a little weird to understand for more casual gamers, but the theme is easy to digest and the way the game is set up visually supports that theme so there's less abstraction.

Fantasy Flight's YouTube channel has fantastic video tutorials for most of their LCGs. Check them out and you should easily be able to identify which one is right for you.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm teaching Netrunner to my girlfriend and while she's enjoying it, both thematically and gameplay-wise, she's a bit overwhelmed by it. Can't blame her, especially since it's her first card game.

Now, she's been eyeing the AGoT a bit, purely because the theme is very appealing to her. THisgot me to think a bit of a side trip to a more "classical" LCG than Netrunner might not be a bad idea, to help her get to grips with some general LCG/CCG concepts quicker, as well as slightly bring me down a peg, as I discover quirks of a new system too.

I though of steering her either to LotR or Star Wars, as they seem somewhat appropriate on first glance. LotR is cooperative, so instead of feeling trashed again and again we could just laugh at how the game keeps handing our asses to us. Star Wars on the other hand, just looks generally more approachable, with pod-based deckbuilding and whatnot.

Still, the AGoT brand is a huge draw, but I think I heard it's very comboish? My gut feeling is to subtly push propose LotR because of its co-op nature, but since she's a big fan of the franchise, I wonder if AGoT with some small cardpool would work fine as a more casual game? Or is it a much better idea to go with one of the games mentioned above?

It sounds like you just want a game to relax and spend some quality time with your girlfriend so I wouldn't worry about discovering game breaking combos and what not. Just pop open the core box and go at it!

That being said, spend a bit of quality time with her watching Fantasy Flight's video tutorials on their YouTube channel. They're well done and will give you a general idea of how each of the games play. Pick whichever one tickles both of your fancies.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FantasyFlightStudio

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

TheHoosier posted:

If I were to jump into LotR while waiting for 40k to drop, what would one recommend for 4 players getting started? Core Set + ?

1 core set can handle 2 players fine, but it'll really stretch your decks thin with 4. I'd recommend 2 core sets and "The Hunt for Gollum" and "Conflict at the Carrock" from the Mirkwood cycle.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

fozzy fosbourne posted:

On a totally different topic, I hope that Lukas Litzinger is stepping down from A:NR lead to secretly work on an unannounced revamp of another one of Richard Garfield's board games,Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. I read some rumors that FFG had the license and was working on it once upon a time but then they said it was canceled, but maybe it's possible that they are re-theming it somehow.

Garfield was doing an AMA on reddit last year and let it slip that FFG was working on a VTES LCG. FFG's CEO quickly quashed it on BBG with the following post.

quote:

Dave, FFG did look into publishing this game for a time, and we decided to pass on it for a number of reasons. Richard was not up to date (no fault of his) on this decision.

So, no VTES, in any form, from FFG.

Sorry,

Christian
FFG

I remember being extremely excited because they had just come out with a social deduction boardgame called Blood Bound which featured "rival vampire clans" and was most surely their attempt at a V:tM like setting for a VTES LCG to use. I figured it was their way of introducing to setting much like how the Android boardgame did for Netrunner. Unfortunately, most of the internet's response to Blood Bound's aesthetic was pretty negative and I wouldn't be surprised if that factored in to them canceling the LCG.

Never say never, I guess, but I'm extremely skeptical at this point after the CEO's statement.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Devlan Mud posted:

I just keeps getting better, I really hope FFG ban his rear end.

If "This is from him" isn't flavor text for a future card I'm going to be very disappointed.