Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Is there a PDF or image lurking around out there that has all the set icons on one sheet? I want to print them off and stick them onto my box so I know which sets are where. I have too many drat sets and they got mixed up so I can never find anything quickly now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ChiTownEddie posted:

This one? http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/96718/list-of-encounter-set-symbols-and-titles

I have a question about this card: http://hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Details/51223bd0-ffd1-11df-a976-0801213c9020
Does 'refresh action' mean that you do this during the refresh phase? So that they are exhausted for the upcoming turn?

Actually the picture linked second post there with everything as a single picture is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for linking that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

What is the best multiplayer (>2 players) LCG that isn't LOTR? Game of Thrones? Star Wars with its expansion?

Star Wars multiplayer is pretty good, but if there's an imbalance of player skill you'll essentially have 1 person beating up 2 in a 2v2 game. 3v1 or 2v1 is good with the challenge decks, but you really need to build specifically to crack the challenge decks which makes it not quite as good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

AEG had a page up earlier today announcing Doomtown:Reloaded, which was quickly restricted. Nothing that said exacatly what it was, but lots of speculation that they're releasing Doomtown as a LCG-like format. I'm pretty excited for that, if true.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I hope AEG learns the lesson of FFG with regards to promos and keeps them as alternate art. The worst part of L5R for me was those drat gencon promos or boxtoppers. I love the idea of a deluxe core set as well. Sounds gimmicky but those are things that can help get a game on the table and spur interest.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

The only bad thing about the announcement is that while the game remains the same, the card backs have been changed.

I think they can make nicer backs. While I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars LCG or Netrunner's backs I'd love to see something on par with Lord of the Rings card backs. The old card back was nice but not iconic to me, and mixing new and old cards you'd undoubtedly need opaque sleeves due to color differences.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

How is AEG as a company? Like, are their games actually good, do they have long term development, do they have timely releases, etc.?

AEG used to be better with their release schedule, but in recent years it seems they've had some issues with the release of L5R stuff. I never had any issues when I was playing but I know the current base set was/is/has been delayed which caused them to send out PDFs so people could proxy cards at tournaments where it was supposed to be legal. I'm not currently in the scene but that's my understanding of what's happening now. I don't remember anything like that happening in the 8 or so years I played L5R though, and I don't recall anything from Nightfall or Thunderstone getting similar delays. Maybe someone else can comment on their RPG products.

As for long term development I think they're probably better than FFG is, as they utilize their player base quite a bit more and have a player design team. That said, they allow their employees to participate in tournaments and win prizes(though in my experience they usually give them to second place), I think the most important thing will be how the storyline gets implemented. Much like L5R the best prizes were the storyline ones and from a creative aspect listening to how the last tournament went down is one of the most interesting tournaments I've ever heard about given that the participants all had a fair amount of interest in controlling the storyline. If they can continue that aspect of the game, it could be pretty cool. The only downside of this is that AEG tends to balance in arcs, meaning that X faction will win until meta cards drop to hard counter it, then faction Z becomes popular. Given that they're starting with only 4 factions I'm hoping that the balance level will be ok. I'm hoping they stay far away from deck stacking and self milling stuff, which was what ruined the game by the end and leave the poker hands as a fairly random method of determining outcomes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PrinnySquadron posted:

It was less "oh gently caress printings messed" as it was people were really sick of Emperor Edition, and tournament organizers were asking for another Kolat Edition so they could run ivory tournaments instead.

EDIT: They're pretty good at listening to the community imo.

Wasn't the original release supposed to be January instead of end of February/March? Anyway I remember Emperor itself was delayed, but it's definitely not as bad as FFG's production delays.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

The most important part being that Storyline Events will be making a comeback too. Those are a heap of fun.

The only bad thing about the announcement is that while the game remains the same, the card backs have been changed. I sort of understand why - this is Gomorra 10 years on and most of the original characters are dead or gone - but still.

I think the new card back looks totally sweet. What do you think? The mirrored image gives it the feel of a hoyle deck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Is High Command laughably bad like I've heard? Or is it passable? I like the idea of picking up High Command right now based on lore, but I'd like a good game, too.

It's really not an LCG, it's much more like a Thunderstone/Dominion type of thing. The games is not deep enough in terms of deckbuilding or mechanically that you could compare it with any of the LCGs.

I don't know that I'd say laughably bad, but the card stock was pretty bad and the mechanics weren't anything to write home about. Honestly I thought FFG did a better job with Bloodbowl Team Manager than High Command did with the same "bidding on places with cards, modified by their effects" gameplay style.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Triple20 posted:

You weren't kidding, the LOTR videos are fantastic. For the OP, maybe: http://www.youtube.com/user/FantasyFlightStudio. Thanks for the recommendations!

Whenever I play Star Wars, I can't help but occasionally do the voice from the tutorial video for the Star Wars LCG. The way the guy enunciates the card names is just entertaining as all hell.

Shadows of Dathomir. The Emperor's Web, and The Heart of the Empire. :allears:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Paper Kaiju posted:

I don't see how being a deckbuilder disqualifies from being an LCG, nor lack of depth (that would just qualify as a bad LCG).

If you want to argue the definition of what exactly should be considered an LCG for the purposes of this thread go for it. I just don't personally see High Command as offering a player that likes CCGs but isn't looking to get into something that is as much of a huge money/time sink. The thing about those games is that the have lots of variety from both in game and deck building levels; High Command has none of those. Yeah there are some sets out now but the deck building is restrictive enough that there's no need for you and your friend to both "collect" the game. It's not something anyone is sitting at home about, pouring over their cards, goldfishing trying to make a deck work. That's an element of LCGs that is what people like about CCGs. There aren't half a dozen sites and blogs where people are talking about the game, speculating about future cards, or looking for new combos. There aren't websites devoted to the game, or tournament reports on BGG, or Strategy Articles written.

Spiritually, High Command doesn't feel like an LCG at all.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Paper Kaiju posted:

But once again, are those thing because High Command isn't an LCG, or simply because it isn't a very good/popular one?

I've viewed the term LCG as a distribution format, to differentiate it from the random boosters of CCGs, and the everything-in-one-box with standard board/card games. If the Pathfinder card game and Mage Wars be included in that category, I don't see it as a stretch of the term to include High Command. And I don't mean to sound snarky (honestly, I don't, but I'm not sure how else to say it), but I don't much care for classifying games by how they feel 'spiritually'.

As far as just viewing it as a distribution model, it seems fairly similar to other LCGs sure. If the distribution and production are your only criteria for calling it an LCG than I'd agree, but those are only two qualities that make up what an LCG seeks to provide.

Look at it like this: if someone tells you they're looking to take up a sport and you recommend Chess, they'll probably give you a funny look or thing you're joking. Chess is a sport, but it's not the colloquial definition that someone would think of when asked. Similarly, if someone comes in here and says "Hey, I'm looking for an LCG." They're probably looking for something that's close what the common perception of LCGs is, which are CCGs for people on a budget. Now you can go ahead and recommend them High Command, but it's not even close to being what they probably want.

High Command is just a board game with a quicker expansion release cycle. It's possible that they step it up and in future releases really flesh out the game, and the organized play content to make it comparable to the current crop of LCGs; but I just don't see that happening.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I was totally ready to be done with LotR having collected everything up to this point and never getting to play it then I see the new deluxe expansion...Isengard.

God dammit.

Well I learned my lesson though, that new playmat for the event kit is ugly as poo poo.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

LordNat posted:

The new Doomtown's rule book is up.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/files/2014/04/DTR_Rulebook.pdf
Only minor changes from the old game. Nice to see they supper multiplayer from the core box. The FFG LCGs are missing a good multiplayer game. I had hopes for V:TES but that never saw production.

I'm sad that they're going with the 4x of each card status quo though. I felt like Cheatin' was something that could be introduced later and forcing players to make Bicycle decks would have been much more interesting. Unless we see some really powerful cards that punish cheating right off the bat this is going to make for fairly boring deck building. On the other hand AEG is rarely able to keep a balanced environment and from the looks of the Law Dogs and the Fourth Ring outfit cards they're already pigeonholing factions into mechanics which I think is bad to do with a core set. I do like the emphasis on multiple players though, that's great.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

We know there's at least two Cheatin' cards in the set because the rulebook mentions Magical Distraction as distinct from other Cheatin' cards. I think it was important to include this rule in the base set, too, so people wouldn't misread and think they had to play singletons or bike decks.

Another point: the deck limit isn't just four of a given card - it's four cards of any given suit and value. If you play four Shadow Walks in your deck, you can't play any other card with the value 10H. The "four cards with the same name" is the secondary rule, and if you've played Doomtown before you'll recognise the hint that they plan to introduce Experienced versions of cards later on. Overall this is going to weaken Cheatin' decks a bit and reduce the likelihood of an overpowering DMH deck.

Last point is the big rule change, which is to Harrowed. In old Doomtown Harrowed Dudes would go home booted instead of being aced if they made their pull, be discarded if they didn't, and only aced on an Ace. The new rule is that you can ace a Harrowed Dude up to three times per shootout; the first sends him home booted, the second discards him and the third aces him. Harrowed Dudes are also now automatically discarded instead of aced by card effects. This makes Harrowed a much stronger ability as you can no longer kill a Harrowed Dude in a fight unless you win by a significant margin.

I still think that 4x is a bit extreme, since it means if you wanted to your deck could be 4x/4x/4x/1x of each suit plus the jokers and I'm not convinced AEG is in a smart enough design space at the moment to make such a thing not optimal. I liked being able to tell people "Ok, so you build a deck using the values of a poker deck." It's a really easy thing for new players to pick up and go with and the whole idea of cheating is a big part of the meta game of deck building that was fairly difficult for new players to get into. Combined with how brutal the game could be already, I just felt like this is a big hurdle for new players.

I'm actually starting to get pessimistic the more I see or this game and I'm just really worried that AEG hasn't learned poo poo from years of making L5R among other games, and is instead doing more fan service than actually trying to make a new edition *and* good game. I'm particularly biased in this sense because I think Doomtown fans were even worse than L5R fans when it came to having loyalty and wanting to see their faction succeed over game balance. As a fan of both games that never really gave a poo poo about fiction it was really hard to be a fan of theirs sometimes. I guess that's what happens when you tie the majority of your fanbase to story stuff though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

omnibobb posted:

Between this and Doomtown, I am super stoked for card games this year!

I am massively disappointed that they're only doing the Deluxe box for people at Gencon. There was clearly a high level of interest in the deluxe box and they could have just asked for preorders on their website to gauge interest level. I don't look forward to trying to track one down on ebay later on for double or triple the original value. I've always hated these Gencon only promos or releases, I know they want to reward people for being there but sell the poo poo later on too. Knowing AEG they could just be sitting on a hundred of them, waiting to put them on ebay themselves.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

So you will be able to get DTR Deluxe from your FLGS, and if you miss out there's a pre-announced second print.

We don't have a local retailer for AEG unfortunately so I was just hoping to get it off their website. He said in another post that they were fairly limited so I'm thinking its going to be pretty tough to get from places other than ebay.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

What is this game, the VS system?

A somewhat interesting game that I only played the Marvel version of that was basically what you'd expect out of a Marvel/DC superhero game. Lots of different copies of the same character. Not very complicated in terms of gameplay but fun if you wanted to play a simple game with your favorite superheroes.

For the gameplay itself basically imagine that you're playing magic with your favorite superheroes/events/places/equipment and each turn you can choose to turn one of those spells into a land. Also you have 50 life instead of 20 if I recall correctly. Also you can choose to attack individual units or the player. There's more to it but that's the basic jist. They released a PC/Gameboy version that I played to get a feel for the game. In the end it seemed to be a bit too simple and nobody near me played so I skipped it. I guess people really liked the game despite not really bringing anything new to the table mechanics wise.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 14, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I hope dead trading card games coming back as LCGs becomes a thing. I for one would love to get Star Wars CCG: the LCG :allears:

While I'd love to see the Decipher game make a comeback, it would need an overhaul the likes of which the world has never seen. That game was a lot of fun, but goddamn it was a cluster gently caress of imbalance and bad mechanics. I'd love to see a lot of those games comeback just because I like to see how a lot of those games would be designed if you didn't have to consider rarities.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

LordNat posted:

Doomtown breaks at more than 4 players while V:TES can handle larger groups fine. I will agree combat is the weakest part of V:TES but it can be updated in a new release to fix that. Shadowfist is a game I have never tired so I have no idea how it handles.

Why specifically do you think Doomtown "breaks" at more than 4 players? I've played a handful of 6+ player Doomtown games and I never felt like anything was broken. Does the game get a little slow with more than 4? Sure, but that can also be attributed to slow players as much as anything else. The first time I played I was the least experienced player at the table and I don't think my turns took more than a minute. Sometimes it can suck waiting for combat to resolve when there's a lot of action/reactions flying around but combat itself never takes more than a few minutes. It helps when you go in with decks designed for multiplayer. It was still honestly a lot better than a lot of board games I've played that were designed with more than 5 players, so it would be nice if you could elaborate on why you think it's broken rather.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I won't really disagree about the lowball thing, but I will say that I've played enough board games to where I put myself in the group where directed attacks aren't a problem in a multiplayer scenario and neither are resource imbalances. In Doomtown specifically if a bunch of players are all directing their actions/jobs/callout against a specific person that person is probably drawing a lot of that from their own actions, and by winning Lowball and dropping a high rank character right off the bat you're painting a target on your head. The same issue can be applied to a lot of different games where anyone can attack anyone, our group found that issue with Nightfall for example. The problem there is that at some point that player gets enough of the hate that they can't possibly win and turns into a spoiler, once everyone in the group has been in that position you sort of see that it's not an effective way to win in that game. Applied to other games the "gang up and take someone out strategy" only really applies when one player gains a significant advantage over all the other players. Doomtown is far less forgiving in terms of this as a player could easily find themselves out on the first turn but in my experience the groups I've played with were far more eager to see what gets played over the course of a few turns and let table talk and alliances form as the game progresses than just to straight up knock someone out.

If you're only interested in playing multiplayer games where the interaction between players is highly regulated then I can see why you wouldn't consider a lot of these games as good at V:TES.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

LordNat posted:

IMO Doomtown plays better 1v1 while V:TES plays better in a group.

I'll certainly agree on that point. While I'll bitch all day long about the randomness in Netrunner, I always found the randomness in Doomtown to still have some level of control or interaction. Yeah, you'll still get those games where you lose a shootout that you had the upperhand in on the first turn, but unless you needed to win that shootout not to lose anyway you still had some control over the situation and could have chickened out. In a big group scenario you can end up on the short end of the stick quite easily through no fault of your own.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

I'm going to kill you and defile your Harrowed rear end. :rant:

Hey, I was thinking I'd finally get into Shadowfist but there are no videos of it on Youtube. I remember you did a Let's Play right?

Karnegal posted:

Haven't really looked at conquest, maybe tomorrow
I do have a doomtown premium set though. And after today's Netrunner tournament, I have 2 alt art Noise. So, It's been pretty great for LCG's so far. Even if I did wait for over 3 hours to be in front of the line for nom VIGs

Lucky dude. That's probably the best thing for people who went to Gencon was getting to skip the bullshit of having to order 6 copies of the normal edition to get the premiums. I hope they kick that second printing into high gear because of the hype coming out of this. Everyone I know that's interested only wants to get the premium copy, even a few friends that are just board gamers just want it for the awesome production values.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

I did, but it was photos and detailed description. I think you need Archives to see it now.

Alright, I hunted through your post history and couldn't find it. I went to LP section and saw a post that said some of the old LP threads randomly disappear off the server and it wasn't listed on the master list either, if you can dredge it up I'd like to check it out, but in the meanwhile tell me: if I wanted to pick up the game and get decks for all the factions, where and how should I do that. Also how many of the expansions would I likely want to pick up? Looking at the format it seems there's a lot of netural cards in the expansions that would crossover factions. Which ones are worth getting more of and in what quantity? I'm not looking for anything competitve just some stuff to have a balanced-ish deck for each faction that I can pull out and mess around with.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

Why do you need 3, exactly? Like, you need 3 for full playsets of everything or you think you'll need 3 core sets if you want to be able to play at all competitively?

It seems like it could be hard to say. Judging by Netrunner getting those powerful cards that are only 1x can be a big deal in certain decks. Really though you're buying an extra core for SanSan City Grid, the others I think are far less reliant on getting a third particularly now that Corporate Troubleshooter is floating around as a promo.

I would think that FFG took notice of this when designing Conquest and tried to make sure that all the 1x cards were really freaking good so this would be more of a factor but until the game hits retail and we start to see some local tournaments and what not it's hard to say.

jivjov posted:

I wish all the LCGs worked like the Star Wars one in terms of Core Sets needed. Two core sets gets you a playset of every single objective set, and only a small handful of duplicates (They included multiple copies of a Limit 1 per Deck set so you could build all 4 decks from the core set at once.)

I think it's better than the Star Wars route which is requiring us to buy two of the core and deluxe expansions(Balance excluded) as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

jivjov posted:

I'm perfectly fine with needed 2 cores (helps them keep the cores at a nice affordable price to hopefully entice more players), and only one of the Deluxe expansions so far has required a 2nd one. Is the upcoming new one gonna require a 2nd box?

Oh I'm wrong apparently it includes 2 of each objective. Still the difference in price between buying a third core and a second Edge of Darkness is pretty negligible. $5 according to prices on Amazon($17 vs $22). I know for some people that's probably a lot but I don't think it's a huge deal.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 17, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

You can get perfectly balanced decks for all six factions by purchasing one copy each of Combat in Kowloon and Back For Seconds. Any of the first three Shadowpacks are viable as expansions to this. I would definitely buy Reloaded, though, as it has at least one essential card for most factions. Again, for basic fun decks you need only one copy. The second wave of Shadowpacks is on the boat right now and I should have my copies soon.

If you really get into it and want to do some serious deckbuilding then buy two more copies of everything - while technically you can play five copies of a card in Shadowfist, a lot of cards are unique and there's duplicates of most of the key cards. There's also the Rebirth pack that contains a copy of 50 of the staple non-uniques.

There's a very limited amount of stock on Amazon; one of everything as I write. You are specifically looking for CiK, BFS, Reloaded, Reinforcements and Revelations, the whole of which will cost $72. If you miss that you can buy it from the official store, but it's more expensive there. You could also wait for the next Kickstarter, as there's always a level where you can buy the new packs plus the base game.

Alright I'm ordering:

1x Shadow of Kowloon
1x Back for Seconds
1x Reloaded
1x Action Pack
1x Revelations
1x Reinforcements

That seems like it should be more than enough to get me started and get some decent decks built. Thanks. I look forward to telling you how much I dislike the game and how I'm stupid for listening to you but it's what I deserve for listening to a guy named "Jedit" and isn't rocking the Legends artwork.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

So reading the rules for 40k Conquest, could there be a "winner wins more" issue if someone somehow completely dominates the planets, such that their resource and card generation outpaces their opponent? I assume it is extremely unlikely, but it's something that I was thinking about.

Have any scans of the cards appeared? I know the game just got released a few days ago but for some reason I assumed that there would be a full visual spoiler of the core set uploaded somewhere by now.

Edit: Not sure if this is full or not but there's www.40kconquestspoiler.com.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 18, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I really kinda wish Conquest allowed for 2-4 players, like Blood Bowl Team Manager. I realize it'll get incredibly clusterfucky, but FFG really needs a solid MP LCG.

There's not a lot of reason that Conquest couldn't work as a mutliplayer game later on it's possible they do like they did for Star Wars and later release a deluxe expansion that gives 10 or so card be faction that work in a multiplayer game along with rules for multiplayers. I don't think you'll ever see them print a game with the intent of having 4+ players in a single game though. A tournament for that type of thing could be difficult to manage.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

It sounds like the bog standard "Deck X is too strong and everyone runs it" complaint in disguise. You know basically the thing that happens in literally every CCG/TCG ever made. In fairness to him, he did make the latter point, but if you know that's the case then I don't know how you'd be surprised when it in fact happened.

Star Wars is the worst for this. Because your deckbuilding is really only ten choices you have people looking at a list and going "Oh he was running Sleuth Scouts" even though those objectives were only 2/10 objectives in his deck and the other 8 could be anything else but because that single thing is so popular that everything that runs it gets pigeon-holed into "X deck archetype".

I agree with him that Netrunner is actually fairly uninteractive in a lot of ways, or rather the interaction is asynchronous and only a few cards break that. I wish there was more choice given in individual encounters with ICE and maybe someday we'll see that happen but right now I find the game to be really boring once the Runner has all their breakers up which I think they made a mistake of making entirely too easy to do, but there's a lot of things I'd change in that core set; oh well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Being able to use an exhausted unit's ability seems counterintuitive to me and has some potential to be broken. But it seems to be an intentional design decision, so we'll see. Perhaps it was done to keep the game length down.

It's no different than being able to use an ability that doesn't require tapping in Magic, this isn't exactly some new thing in games. The only problem here is the wording and that you have the spill over from Board Games people, who are used to the "once I use a card it's useless until I refresh it" crowd. Star Wars uses the same style of system, Lord of the Rings uses something similar.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 24, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yo Jedit, my Shadowfist cards came in today. These wooden tokens are nice but it seems like the ink is rubbing off already, any workarounds for that? Also are there any third parties that do playmats or custom tokens?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

I don't know about the wooden tokens - the KS ones were stamped. You don't really need custom ones, though, anything to mark damage and track power will do.

You can get a playmat with the CiK box art from Shadowfist.com.

These are wooden and stamped but it seems like they dusted them with charcoal or something that is now rubbing off the tokens. Are there any third party resouces for playmats with the zones located on the cards ala the posters that came in CiK? Obviously this wouldn't be an issue for experienced players but this seems like a game that won't come out very often and there will almost always be a new person at the table.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

A great poet once said, "Mo money, mo problems," but he never said anything about nerdgames, so I'm sure it'll work out fine.

The real question is when the hell is this game coming out?

You'd think they'd learn the lesson from Netrunner was not: don't release your game right after Gencon, but: have the expansion also ready to ship within a month and a half. My guess is that they want to have the first of Conquest Packs or whatever they're calling them, ready to go in December. Release in mid-October gives everyone two months to play around and learn the game before the new pack becomes available. If they released right after Gencon there would be too long of a delay and scenes might start dying off again like happened with Netrunner.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

The more I think about it, the more I'm bothered by the combat resolution in Doomtown, despite the novelty of a poker hand based system. My main issue is that it's super swingy, in that a 3 stud gunslinger can (and has!) lost to a 0 draw dude. I literally fended off a four man lynch mob (the Law Dogs' Judge dude's Job ability) with a 0 draw dude, and despite how good it felt, it wasn't quite so cool when I was on the receiving end of that a few rounds later. Without a deterministic (like Magic's power/toughness) way of doing things, games just feel like they come down to luck because shootouts are both random AND swingy, despite how one may stack the deck. Also, shootouts take foreeeeever, since you're constantly checking for tricks and forming posses and having to look up the difference between a full house and two pair and it just bogs the game down when you have to do this like 2-3 times a round. The game just doesn't flow very well at all as a result.

Do the battles in Conquest flow well/are resolved quickly? At the very least I look forward to deterministic mechanics.

Hmm, I'd say battles in Conquest are probably a little worse paced over all once you have a lot of guys on the board. There's a lot of effects flying around and I think the first time a couple new players have a battle where each has a Warlord +5 guys it's going to be pretty slow.

The thing about Doomtown is that while you're right it can be super swingy, in my experience it's not as bad as Netrunner's swingyness because it's rarely a life or death situation in Doomtown. If you're moving to the center of town, calling out the first guy that moves out there and then both of you are throwing all your guys into the fight, yeah you'll end up in situations where you have to go send that 0 draw guy to fight a 3 stud not to lose and it can swing your way. I think an important thing to remember is that a lot of those great hands come from cheatin' and right now there aren't quite enough ways to punish cheating, particularly ones you can have on the board and reuse. Cheating should be the way in which those decks that consistently draw 4 of a kind or full houses can slapped down.

It's a hard lesson to learn that it might not always be worth fighting, especially since the mechanic to fight is so pushed. It's the type of mechanic that Conquest is playing with as well; knowning when to push. In Doomtown though the cards in hand can really swing things a lot more so having strong shootout cards and going into a shootout with a terrible shooter can be a strong play at the right time, and turning tail and running home with a 3 stud might be the best option if you think that guy has something up his sleeve and you've got nothing.

edit: I understand what you're saying about the Magic analogy though. My vanilla 3/3 will beat his vanilla 1/1 100% until we start adding other effects into the game. In Doomtown a 3 stud and a 0 draw are both still at the mercy of the draw. My argument is that this is a part of the game to make sure you don't just have a board advantage and use that randomness to bluff yourself into a better position than you could normally be in.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 22, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Here's the Elder/Dark Eldar deck I'm looking at:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Eldorath Starbane (Core Set)

Army Unit: (27)
4x Starbane’s Council (Core Set)
3x Biel-Tan Guardians (Core Set)
3x Biel-Tan Warp Spiders (Core Set)
3x Eldar Survivalist (Core Set)
3x Shrouded Harlequin (Core Set)
3x Silvered Blade Avengers (Core Set)
2x Swordwind Farseer (Core Set)
3x Coliseum Fighters (Core Set)
3x Kabalite Strike Force (Core Set)

Attachment: (3)
1x Mobility (Core Set)
2x Banshee Power Sword (Core Set)

Event: (16)
2x Foresight (Core Set)
2x Doom (Core Set)
2x Gift of Isha (Core Set)
2x Nullify (Core Set)
3x Archon’s Terror (Core Set)
3x Power from Pain (Core Set)
2x No Mercy (Core Set)

Support: (4)
1x Alaitoc Shrine (Core Set)
3x Promethium Mine (Core Set)

So the Signature cards for the Warlord are restircted to whatever he comes with initially and you can't add more of those with more sets but you can add more of the other cards? To a max of 4?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not sure I parsed this question correctly, but the signature squad is set. No plus or minus on any of those cards. Anything else goes up to 3.

Yeah, that's the answer I was looking for. That's a shame because there are a lot of those signature cards. Meaning that they're very redundant to have multiple copies of. Even more so than any of the other LCGs.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

They're redundant, but each faction only has 1-2 cards that are 2x. I believe there's only 29% redundancy with 3x Core, which is substantially less than Netrunner, where you're only really getting Desperado and San San as your nonredundancies with 3 Cores. Maybe Aesop's?

I'm one of those build all the decks guys so I didn't mind the redundancy of Net runner's reprints of the 3x and 2x cards. Dead cards is another matter entirely though and there were plenty of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

omnibobb posted:

Somebody did the math (earlier in this thread I believe) and a 3rd Conquest nets you something like 72 nonredundant cards. The 3rd Netrunner gives you 11.

I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, for me that's probably a good thing since I just bought 3 copies straight out of the gate but I know a lot of Netrunner players that just bought 2 cores and borrowed the extra SanSan or Desperado at a tournament; gently caress there's still debate about if a third copy of those is even necessary. I think it will probably be harder for people to avoid having the third copy in this case. 72/6 is 12 cards per faction that you'd be short if you wanted to run x3 of each of those cards; even running 1/4 of those cards at x3 you'd still need be short 3 cards for each faction. Which is a lot more than 1x SanSan or 1x Desperado. I guess FFG made sure you want that third core this time around, and since this is a 40k based product I doubt too many players are going to not follow through at the tournament level.