Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Taran_Wanderer posted:

As said, the Hobbit Saga expansions add a bunch of great dwarf stuff, but also look for The Long Dark for Erebor Battle Master and Ring Mail.

I think Tactics cards in a Dwarf deck can be hard to put in. The majority of dwarf allies are in the Leadership/Lore spheres. I think Hardy Leadership is a much better card over Ring Mail, and the Battle Master has lost some of its flair when it got errata to only get pumped by other Dwarf allies you control, not characters.

I'm not saying Tactics doesn't have a place in a Dwarf deck. If I'm building one, I'm more likely to build a Leadership/Lore deck with Dain, Ori, and Thorin/Bifur, and have a 2nd player deck with Tactics, maybe Tactics/Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, goons, you have convinced me and made me buy the base set for LoTR. The moment I saw the huge box and the tiny amount of space the cards occupied I knew I was going to regret the decision. Curse my lack of self-control.

Are the starter decks a viable alternative or should I dive into deckbuilding directly?

For the first quest, yes. You can beat it with any mono sphere deck, though some decks have an easier time based on the encounter deck. Don't start with mono-tactics.

Don't let the empty space fool you, there's a lot of game there.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

In LotR LCG does "Active location" also refer to quest card if you don't have a location?
Such as for Lorien Guide: "After Lorien Guide commits to a quest place 1 progress token on the active location."

Pander posted:

I believe that's correct.

No, that is incorrect. Lorien Guide does not place a progress token if there isn't an active location.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Real talk about the LotR LCG:

I've been interested in the game for a long time, and so I've finally pulled the trigger on the Core Set. Played a solo game or two to get the hang of the rules. I think I got it, cool. The game so far is everything I've expected and more. Tense and engaging, and high thematic.

My girlfriend is willing to at least give a new game I buy a try so I invite her to play. She plays the starter tactics deck and I play the starter lore deck and we play the introductory Mirkwood quest. Through what I expect is bad shuffling, most of the encounter cards we draw were location cards. And with the Ungoliant's Spawn coming out early we couldn't quest enough to tread any water and we lose by threat. We didn't even get through the first part of the quest. The loss was so devastating I think it turned her off of the game entirely. Anyone have any deckbuilding tips with just the core set that are effective enough so that I can try a second chance with her?

I'm not about to quit it anytime soon, so I'm starting to plan my buying path for the expansions and APs. What's a good thing to buy first? To expand on this, is a second core set necessary? I'm a collector at heart and I'll feel empty if I don't have every option available for deckbuilding.

You probably picked the two worst spheres to start her with. No offense. Leadership and Spirit are much better suited for new players, at least with just the core set.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

Lotr is really starting to irritate me. The game is mechanically really fun but sometimes you just get bullshit out and it is the dumbest thing.

1. I think we were doing Flight from Moria. We have the quest to use the adventurer's tools to make progress to escape. So we're digging for the tools and we get them! As a shadow card! So as far as we can tell that means they go to the discard pile and there's only 1 in the deck. Ok fine, poo poo happens. So as per the rules we ditch that quest and the next one we get is the other way out! Except that it's a god drat lottery where you flip a card for each player and if it's a creature then the player just get murdered. What the gently caress is that? We didn't draw creatures and we then went on to lose to too much threat, but why the hell is this a mechanic?

2. Different game, Road to Rivendell, everything is going fine. We are in a good position with 4 players. Things look good. Then player 1 flips a shadow effect "kill all exhausted characters" and guess who had quested with Arwen before that? Note: if Arwen dies the game ends.

Aggravating.

There's an answer to every situation you can come across. In those cases, Shadow of the Past would of solved the first one, and Test of Will/Hasty Stroke would of fixed the other.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

He's talking about Sleeping Sentry. gently caress that card.

This is good to hear. My friends and I have just one quest left for the Dwarrowdelf cycle and then it's on to Against the Shadow. We've enjoyed all the quests so far but there are for sure some mean mean cards in them that are just kind of bullshit. Like Sleeping Sentry.

Agreed, gently caress this card. Back to my original point, there are plenty of options to avoid it. When playing Shadow and Flames, I would make sure I had Eleanor around to make sure I can stop Counter-Spell. gently caress that card.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Mehuyael posted:

My post got eaten somehow, so here goes again:

Hi thread. I'm planning to get LotR at some point since I want an LCG and a coop game. I got a question though. If I do get into it, will I need to double up on expansions to get a good 4-player experience or will getting 2 of the core sets be enough for that and from then on it's just one copy of each expansion?

Actually, while I'm writing, here's another question. Are there other good coop LCGs? I searched BGG and LotR was the only one I found, but I suppose they could be missing something somehow.

LOTR is the only cooperative LCG. Don't get multiple versions of the adventure packs. Get one core set, play with that, then add adventure packs. Eventually, get another core set if you want.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Rusty Kettle posted:

Khazad-dum and Over Hill and Under hill contain a lot of dwarf cards, and they also have quests that do not require other expansions. Also I believe the Return to Mirkwood adventure pack has the king of the dwarves as a hero.

OHaUH's quests are significantly more difficult. I would get Return to Mirkwood and Khazad-Dum for the Dwarf fun.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

Does anyone play LOTR on OCTGN?

I gave it a shot the other day, and it wasn't quite as automated as I was expecting, but I guess it's analogous to live play - but you can build decks with all the packs so you try stuff before you buy. It's got some semi-automation for either telling you phases you're on and what you should be doing, and resfreshing and resources for new rounds. I was expecting it to figure out damage, quest sucess /failure etc automatically. It would have even been nice to automatically know what are legal moves (this would have been helpful with some grey areas in some cards which I can't think of off the top of my head). But, you can easily get a game going and just do it all manually like you would in real life anyway.

Personally, I like less automation. I just got around to using ctrl-n to start new rounds. I think there are so many opportunities to make plays, that automation would get in the way.

I'm always up to play: mongol05

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Taran_Wanderer posted:

With all the neat stuff coming out, my interest in LOTR has been rekindled. I've built a Hobbit deck that I'm pretty happy with, but I'm less pleased with this Rohan deck I made to (optionally) partner with it. I'd rather go with a Spirit/Tactics deck, but I don't have Voice of Isengard's cool Rohan cards. Anyone have thoughts?

I would use Warden of Healing instead of Daughter of the Nimrodel. It's a cheaper ally, plus better stats, and more versatile. Also, Landroval and Farmer Maggot are way too expensive for this deck. I would assume you would put Steward on Pippin so you have the resources for Gildor, Haldir, Fast Hitches, etc. I would add some Vassals of the Windlord for some cheap allies, or Squires of the Citadel.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Lawen posted:

If you don't care about competitive play, one core set is all you'll likely ever need. If you really get into the game but still don't care about competitive play, you're usually better off buying expansions for a while but you may eventually want to pick up a second core. If you eventually decide to start playing in tourneys, you'll still probably be fine with two cores. If you decide you want a shot at consistently winning tourneys, you'll probably have to suck it up and buy a 3rd core.

the above is true of Netrunner and probably 40k. You'll never need a third core of LotR unless you're trying to do something crazy like solo campaign the nightmare decks with only cards released before those quests or something.

If you're just playing with friends, just make proxies of the cards you need. I have two core sets for LOTR, and I have just made copies of the extra cards I needed and slipped them in the sleeve.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

FFG has spoiler list

example:
http://ffgapp.com/qr/MEC18

Printer + Scissors + Extra Card + Sleeve = Proxy

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

First, Leadership Aragorn, then Lore Aragorn, now Fellowship and Tactics Aragorn. How soon do you think before we have a Spirit Aragorn?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

Even more information on this page: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=249&esem=1

Ranger of the North is a sick new concept. You use a Leadership event to shuffle it into the encounter deck and when it's revealed it either does two damage or adds two progress to a location and then first player chooses who gets to control it.

Personally I'm pumped for these new ranger mechanics.

This is pretty drat cool. It reminds me, sorta, of token creatures from Magic.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

I really kinda wish Conquest allowed for 2-4 players, like Blood Bowl Team Manager. I realize it'll get incredibly clusterfucky, but FFG really needs a solid MP LCG.

LOTR is a solid MP LCG :colbert:

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Warm Woolen Pants posted:

So I impulse bought all the LOTR LCG sets (except Hunt of Gollum and Steward's Fear, which FFG's website says will be reprinted soon) from CoolStuffInc after playing with a friend a couple of weeks ago. My problem now is where to store all these cards. I've never collected cards before, so this is all new to me. Is there a goon-approved storage solution I can just grab off the internet? Help!

For player cards, binders with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00095M5DQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For encounter cards, I use Hobby Lobby's Artist Case, with Broken Token's corresponding insert, and then I use these dividers: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103472/vertical-themed-dividers-sleeved-cards

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Leadership/Spirit is the best combo straight out of the core set, because you can put Celebrian's Stone on Aragorn to give him access to Spirit sphere.

The songs are good, especially if you're running Lore and have Rivendell Minstrell (THFG) in your deck to search for them. If you can also combo that with Love of Tales (TLD), then you can get some resource generation going as well. You don't, however, want to build your deck reliant on songs. More times than not, I have seen that go very poorly, where your three copies of a song are buried deep.

Moving away from the earlier cards, I finally got around to playing Black Riders. I'm doing campaign mode, with a mono-Lore "kamikaze" deck. It relies heavily on Doomed cards from VoI to get some cheap effects, then Loreagorn is there to reset my threat when it gets high. I was able to one-shot the first two quests in Black Riders, but didn't have time to try the third.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Willeh posted:

I already own all of GoT, star wars and Netrunner so I might as well get 3 cores :homebrew: so I can build proper demo decks.

I think the game is coming out properly somewhere in october? It's FFG so who knows when it will show up in Europe :v:

You should also get LOTR.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Max posted:

OK, so, my fiancee and I wandered into our local game store and picked up the LOTR core game. This was probably a terrible life choice for my monthly budget, but after playing it a few rounds and finally getting a handle on things, we're really liking it.

I had one quick question about a situation that came up while playing that I haven't seen answered online. I was playing with Thalin and had him committed to a quest when the Black Forest Bats got revealed. He was my only committed hero at the time, so I was forced to remove him. I was confused as to whether he still deals his one damage to the bat before being removed or not. Since his text says "as it is revealed" I'm assuming he hits first before the "when revealed" text, but I wanted to make sure.

Correct. He hits first, which is nice for any 1 HP enemies that are revealed, because he will kill them before their card text is activated.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

I love playing with Gandalf. I've been fiddling with different builds with him, and my latest is a Gandalf/Outlands deck:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com The Lord of the Rings Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Hero: (3)
1x Gandalf (The Road Darkens)
1x Hirluin the Fair (The Steward's Fear)
1x Glorfindel (Foundations of Stone)

Ally: (30)
3x Anfalas Herdsman (The Steward's Fear)
3x Ethir Swordsman (The Steward's Fear)
2x Forlong (The Drśadan Forest)
3x Hunter of Lamedon (Heirs of Numenor)
3x Knights of the Swan (The Steward's Fear)
3x Warrior of Lossarnach (The Steward's Fear)
2x Denethor (Encounter at Amon Dīn)
2x Faramir (Core Set)
2x Galadriel (The Road Darkens)
3x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set)
1x Elrond (The Road Darkens)
3x Errand-rider (Heirs of Numenor)

Attachment: (10)
1x Sword of Morthond (Assault on Osgiliath)
1x Celebrian's Stone (Core Set)
2x Gandalf Staff (The Road Darkens)
2x Steward of Gondor (Core Set)
2x Wizard Pipe (The Road Darkens)
1x Light of Valinor (Foundations of Stone)
1x Asfaloth (Foundations of Stone)

Event: (10)
3x A Very Good Tale (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Men of the West (Assault on Osgiliath)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
3x A Test of Will (Core Set)

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

It's not really a deep game. You get a lot of variety, for sure, but the plays are pretty obvious. And the art is, of course, ugly as hell.

LOTR is basically a much better game.

The app does help with the math involved in SoTM. LOTR is a superior game, to SoTM among others.

Speaking of apps, LackeyCCG has an iPad app now. You can get the LOTR plugin, but my god, this app is confusing to use. I'm fairly adept at playing LOTR on OCTGN. Does anyone know any tricks to using Lackey?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Hey guys! You know what's cooler than one LOTR PbP game? How about two?

I talked to GTR and he was totally cool with me running another game that is a bit more advanced than the starting quest. Hope to see you guys in the game!

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679459

LOTR LCG Campaign PbP is finally up!

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Azran posted:

My Amazon shipment got stuck in customs for an entire month so I got all my money back. :toot:

So, until my President goes out in 2015 and hopefully custom law changes, I've decided to check out some other stuff in the FFG LCG catalogue. Is LOTR too cumbersome/hard to teach for a group of two-three people? Is there anything else like it out there? I dig the idea of a cooperative card game.

I don't think it's too hard to teach. There's a lot of resources online that can aid in learning/teaching. I'd say the most comparable game is Sentinels of the Multiverse, which I consider a much simpler version of the cooperative card game. Different theme, and no deck building.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I haven't done this myself, but you might try playing around with it in OCTGN? I don't think it's too hard to teach, but it really benefits from having some buddies you can play it with consistently, imo, even if you're the one doing most of the deck building. But you can play it solo too, which is nice if it doesn't appeal to your group. It's pretty fun to test deck ideas against the quests

I play LOTR LCG almost everyday on OCTGN.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Azran posted:

By the way, in OCTGN, how do you search for cards in the encounter deck? Like the Anduin core quest, where it asks you to search for the Hill Troll.

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Just in case anyone else is wondering. Under the global tab, click on the deck, right click, select look at... > all cards, then you can take whatever cards out and there's a "Close and Shuffle" button.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How do you do this? Also, I wonder how well splashtop or one of the other vnc things would work for playing OCTGN on iPad..

I'm assuming they're using Card Warden. It's a lot of upfront work. I've tried, but gave up after a little while.

I've tried splashtop to use OCTGN, and it's ok. You can't use any of the keyboard shortcuts, so it's significantly slower.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Azran posted:

Does Easy Mode deal with that in any way?

It removes some of the nastier cards from the encounter deck, and gives you extra starting resources, so it should make it easier, but some quests will always be harder with more players, and some will be easier with more players. It all depends on the quest.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

I think it's possible to beat passage through mirkwood with all the starter decks but tactics.

Rodney did it. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7691E24FD7613341

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

After a fantastic four-month run, we finally finished our play-by-post game of A Shadow of the Past

We lost a few over the time, so we need to recruit a few new players for the next part of the campaign, A Knife in the Dark

Check it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704012

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Whew! My buddy and I played our first LOTR OCTGN game last night (him having a kid + me moving into a new condo = took a while to coordinate).
He played a mono-Lore with a bunch of attachments meant to make Aragorn a beast. I had a test Tactics/Spirit deck with Boromir, Frodo, and Merry.

Definitely had some hilarious moments down the stretch.
Nothing like having Boromir easily tank multiple 6 attack guys.
Reminding my buddy at refresh that the refresh action window is AFTER you raise your threat (ie if you get to 50 you can't then reduce it to survive in that action window) and him being like "Oh I guess I'll reset my threat now then" and then immediately flipping a card that raises your threat by the # of guys not committed to the quest...totally wold have threated him out.
Top decking A Test of Will and then revealing a card that would have killed me, canceling, and winning!

OCTGN is definitely pretty great at how well it handles the game in general, we were impressed. It'll take a few more games until we're a bit more fluent in the shortcuts and nuances of it though. Can't wait for more! (Plus shorter setup/take down is huge for him with dealing with the baby)

You should check out our LOTR PbP :v: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704012

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Rarity posted:

I did my first run at Escape of Dol Goldur yesterday and even playing two-handed I got steamrolled :(

You have been fully initiated, then. Four player makes it significantly easier, but I think 2 player easy/standard is the perfect mix of difficulty and fun.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

I just wanted to share with you guys the news that I started a new blog for LOTR. I've got a lot of ideas for content (a new entry should be posted later today). As well, I want to reach out to as many people in the community to get input on what type of content people are interested in seeing. I plan on making both articles and videos, so hit me with any ideas you have!

http://mirkwoodrunner.blogspot.com/

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

I've heard the Gondor cycle is super difficult. how difficult is ring-maker?

I don't think it's as difficult as the Against the Shadow cycle, but it has its challenges. It's my favorite cycle this far.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

For those interested, I just posted my impressions for the Heroes and Allies in The Lost Realm: http://mirkwoodrunner.blogspot.com/2015/04/impressions-lost-realm-heroes-and-allies.html

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

I've always played it as being punished by the non active ones. I would like to know if it's easier than I thought.

It's as hard as you thought. You take the punishment from all of them.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Carteret posted:

The best rule of thumb when it comes to LotR is that the worst interpretation of the rules or card text you can think of for the survivability of your characters is always the intended one.

LotR loving hates you.

Yea, but deep down, it loves you. I know every time it bloodies my nose, it's saying "you're special" :unsmith:

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

So has anyone tried The Lost Realm's quests? My buddy's copy arrives today and mine tomorrow so we're hoping to play one then. God I am excited.

I've played Intruders in Chetwood. I'm working on an impressions entry for my blog. Short answer: It's difficult, but very satisfying.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

This thread doesn't move enough for a dedicated LOTR thread. I mean really, the only LCGs that aren't covered in another thread are Conquest and LOTR (and I guess COC but who plays that?).

When was Game of Thrones being rebooted?

Gen Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

What's the best octgn guide? My eyes glaze over when i try to read one.

My buddy Mitch (COTR/The Tenth Nazgul) made a guide a while back, but there has been a lot of changes to the program since then. I'm planning to make an updated guide on my blog.