Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Man, this thread is turning into bitter old boardgamer talk on the order of everything that isn't Twilight Struggle and Agricola is garbage. How do you not have fun playing Dead of Winter? You can go around capping zombies as a stunt dog with twin pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
What games do what Dead of Winter does better. I have zombie fatigue too, but seriously, what other games are giving that experience because I should own them as Dead of Winter is a hit whenever I bring it out.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Baratheon strikes me as a fundamentally bad pairing for Greyjoy. Greyjoy REALLY want to be going first and Baratheon like to have kneeled opponents, which usually means going second. The big pickup is King's hunting party, but honestly a heavy military unit isn't that necessary when you're the only faction with significant stealth cards. I would play Lannister to boost your econ or Tyrell to buff your guys. I think a Greyjoy deck wins by getting in and winning military challenges early to let them take over the mid-game.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Merauder posted:

Oooookay, thanks for helping out. I think I was treating the banner Agendas as a replacement for the House card instead of two co-existent cards, and that was making the verbiage on them seem really counter intuitive. So I would have both my House card (Stark, allowing for any number of loyal or non-loyal Stark cards), and the "Banner of the Watch" Agenda next to it to indicate that I can have non-loyal NW cards, to a minimum of 12 NW cards in the deck. Am I getting it now? :v:

Yup, that's it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Well, this is a little early notice but L5R LCG is coming in 2017.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

Holyshit, L5R LCG please!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

I AM CARVALLO posted:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgl5c01.html

Miniature Market still has L5R core sets up for preorder for $31. Been up since Friday or Saturday. I fully expect them to oversell and I won't end up getting anything until January or February or something like that.

I'm rolling the dice to pick up my other cores at GenCon. I have a guaranteed one from the tournament, but they'll have a bunch at the booth - we'll see where my dealer's room motivation intersects with the demand this year.

Speaking of GenCon, are any other goons playing L5R this year, and if so are there special deck construction rules like GoT last year?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Went 4-1 finishing 37th in the big L5R tournament. Anecdotally, Dragon was overwhelmingly the most repped clan. The line to pledge to the clan ran almost the whole way across the room whereas I just walked straight up to hand in my Crane pledge with no line whatsoever. Scorpion had a lot of presence too, followed probably, by Phoenix. Crane was in contention for smallest along with Unicorn. Crab seemed to be more repped than Lion, though neither were huge. But that parade, yeah, it was very let's march some Asians about before a room of mostly white men yell "Banzai."

Sentinels has the one-two punch of being not mechanically interesting and also looking like poo poo visually.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Magic is the high water mark. I sold my collection because I had moved for my wife's post-doc and didn't immediately find a new job. I made more off the cardboard than my salary from the previous year. I knew people in the vintage community that had collections insured for like $60-70k. I cannot imagine buying back into Magic unless I won a lottery jackpot. It's totally hosed my ability to assess what a reasonable amount of money for a card game is. Dropping $120 for a playset of everything seems super reasonable if you ever sold single cards for $300+.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Magic is a really good game. In the abstract I can see the appeal it has over some of the LCGs. Netrunner has not managed to be as good for as long (I think it was on par with Magic a few years ago, but it's had some issues in recent years). The thing is, if Netrunner, GoT, or L5R gets bad, you can stop playing and be out under $1,000. For Magic, unless you got in at the right time and spent money well, you'll be out thousands of dollars if you every tried to play competitive standard for a couple years. If you aren't into competitive play, I think Magic is probably just as viable as and of FFGs LCGs cost wise. You can buy a box with some friends when a new expansion comes out and get a lot of play out of it without spending more than you would for an LCG. The real difference is for competitive play. If you want to play competitively the LCG model is wildly better for you. You won't win a lot of money, but you wouldn't win a lot of money playing Magic either. The people who do are a vanishingly small portion of the player-base and most have been in the game for a long time.

always be closing posted:

So for the posters who got to play the game, how did you like it compares to agot or mtg? Do we believe in the game for at least the next year to provide one day a week of op?

As to L5R vs AGOT or Magic - L5R as it is, is a very interesting game. It feels like a better version of GoT in that is uses a similar combat system but is a bit more refined. The really interesting element of the game is resource management - how long do you pay to keep characters around for is a deceptively complicated question. I think you can definitely get a solid year out of the game. We'll see how well it's balanced once people are playing with 3 cores.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SirFozzie posted:

So L5R is going to be a board game, a new RPG (different dice system as well), as the LCG. I think FFG are in this for the long haul.

If you're going to acquire an IP, you might as well leverage it in every way possible.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
gently caress, I'm a sucker for pimp promos, but man, I am strongly considering ebaying my plastic Crane stronghold. I didn't realize they had gotten that crazy. Also have playsets of way of the crane and scorpion, that looks like $300+.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

alansmithee posted:

I'm actually thinking of buying my friend's Scorpion stronghold from him. My big worry though is that they'll release a new stronghold that makes that one useless (although it seems unlikely since Scorpion's relatively strong).

I'm unsure if more plastics will enter the market or if GenCon was it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
wow did they really make promos with no rules text for a game with 7 factions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
EDIT: Doublepost